Back from 1st Solo cruise

JoKen1

I found your experience of dining alone traveling solo similar to my experience on RCCL Enchantment of the Seas recently. I have traveled solo for the last several times and alway requested a large table. On my last trip in September, I was placed at a table of four with one empty seat. My dining companions were nice but I felt the empty seat every night screamed--"lets look at the traveling single person" Also, I made a complaint that traveling solo people should be always be placed at a larger table to ensure someone will always be at the table, at a small table if my one couple dining partners failed to show I would definately stick out as the"traveling single person." This remark was missed by the maitre d' and blamed the seating request on "HOME OFFICE." As a traveling solo person who loves cruising the free style dining option is a turn-off. I don't understand that cruise lines can ask traveling solos to pay between 150 - 200% for a cruise but are unwilling to provide us with reasons to continue to come back due to a great experience.

kek17

Cincinnati, OH

Well let me tell you. I was at a table for 8 and still no one came. Talk about feeling like the chairs were screaming. I felt like everyone was looking at me and feeling sorry for me.

At lunch I was at a table for 6 and no one came but that didn't bother me as much as everyone was still getting on board and very excited. I don't think anyone even looked at me they were so excited.

I think it would be nice if they sat all the solo people together at a table. That way we could meet others and not feel so bad.

However, I do hear that it isn't often that one going solo will run into the problem of eating alone. So I'm hoping that since it happened twice to me I'm done with my share of that problem. :D

It would be dreadful if it ever happened on a formal night though.

I didn't mind eating alone in the Lido. Many people were. Even those that didn't travel solo. Often they went one way and ate and their travel partner went to a lecture, show or something.

Lunch & breakfast is no biggie. It's just that darn dinner time that can get a bit iffy.

I totally agree on the over the door shoe holder. While it may be beneficial for couples, I think it's overkill for solos...unless you have that many products you need the medicine cabinet AND 15-20 pockets to hold all of it ;). After I had unpacked and everything fit just fine in the cabinet and on the shelf below the sink (on the Westerdam), I totally forgot about the holder! It never even made it out of my suitcase but it did find a good home....for my little niece's art supplies.

One item I didn't bring that I wish I had....a travel clock. I figured my cell phone would be fine but didn't realize the clock feature wouldn't work because it was on roam as soon as we left Ft Lauderdale.

I didn't bring enough bathroom stuff to need more than the 3 small shelves that I had on the Sun Princess (very small rooms and bathrooms, though), but was very glad I brought the travel clock and power strip. I was able to recharge camera battery, camcorder battery, and cell phone at the same time. I only found 2, single socket outlets in the whole room! Didn't need a bungee cord - my balcony door was a sliding glass door with floor-to-ceiling windows! :) That helped make up for the small room. I kept the balcony door open day & night - even though we were going to Alaska - because it was sunny and in the 70's everyday (in Sept.)!! And I never had to set the clock to wake up because the daylight would wake me up. BTW, I had cell phone service in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway with Verizon. No roaming, either.

hi, I am going solo for 1st time, always went with DH before. Going to Asia for 18 days, am not afraid of being alone,but want to eat in dining room. Asked for large table but booked late and am now on a waitlist for regular seating and must eat freestyle. Which means not with the same people every night. Afraid they will sit me at tables with people who are all friends and don't want a strange old lady sitting with them. Any suggestions? Has anyone eaten freestyle before? will be on Saphire Princess leaving Beijing Nov2. thank you in advance. love this site...

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds exciting Gracie. I'm sure everything will be fine. 18 days...Wow! I thought my 11 coming up in December was a lot. Will miss the grandkids, dogs and hubby (yes, in that order), but plan on having a good time. I am not a diner. I enjoy going to the Windjammer (only been on RCCL). Dressing up is not for me. If the mood strikes, I always have clothing to wear to the dining room, but the mood doesn't usually strike. Sounds like a cruise I would enjoy by myself as well. Maybe some day!

hi, I am going solo for 1st time, always went with DH before. Going to Asia for 18 days, am not afraid of being alone,but want to eat in dining room. Asked for large table but booked late and am now on a waitlist for regular seating and must eat freestyle. Which means not with the same people every night. Afraid they will sit me at tables with people who are all friends and don't want a strange old lady sitting with them. Any suggestions?

Go to the Maitre'd when you board the ship and see if there is anything available at that time and they may be able to move you. If it doesn't work then, try again the next day. And if you do get a table, and end up not liking the people you are with, you can go to the Maitre'd again :)

Be sure to bring a book though just in case. I've been on two ships solo and both times I was seated at a table for 4 (I asked, but they couldn't move me). Sometimes I was there by myself, but it didn't bother me--I just read my book, or chatted with the lady in the table next to me.

Go to the Maitre'd when you board the ship and see if there is anything available at that time and they may be able to move you. If it doesn't work then, try again the next day. And if you do get a table, and end up not liking the people you are with, you can go to the Maitre'd again :)

Be sure to bring a book though just in case. I've been on two ships solo and both times I was seated at a table for 4 (I asked, but they couldn't move me). Sometimes I was there by myself, but it didn't bother me--I just read my book, or chatted with the lady in the table next to me.

Hi Dianna, great post:)

I would like to add that sitting at a 4 top alone would not bother

me but I will be honest and say sitting at an 8 top would probably

feel a bit weird:eek:

Hell, I eat out alone here at home and when I have the paper with

me a 4 top is great:) ...place for the paper, my purse in the chair

next to me and just room:D Oh and a paperback too!

I almost like it better than a deuce! But on the ship a two top is nice and the waiters

are always making sure I am ok too.

I have been quite lucky with my tablemates in all my solo cruising.

A couple of funky experiences but overall.......probably 98% of it

was excellent:)

I do know what you said is true....the Maitr'd is there to help and

I will always go see him if needed.

hi, I am going solo for 1st time, always went with DH before. Going to Asia for 18 days, am not afraid of being alone,but want to eat in dining room. Asked for large table but booked late and am now on a waitlist for regular seating and must eat freestyle. Which means not with the same people every night. Afraid they will sit me at tables with people who are all friends and don't want a strange old lady sitting with them. Any suggestions? Has anyone eaten freestyle before? will be on Saphire Princess leaving Beijing Nov2. thank you in advance. love this site...

Hi gracieben:

I agree with you about your freestyle concerns, esp with dining with different people each night? I dread the thought of having to go through the SAME litinay of "Hi...where are you from..where have you cruised before....oh, how interesting that you're solo"....yadda, yadda.

But, even more important for me as an older woman is the safety issue. I do want that consistent contact with some folks who might just "raise the alarm" EARLY after a port call, if I'm not back on aboard. The cabin steward may not notice until next am-pm!

Some other things I'd do right NOW...and immediately on board if I were in your position:

1. If there is an active roll-call going for your cruise, mention your situations/concerns now! There maybe other solos or groups of 3/5/7 to hook-up with before you go. Or, to just let others know to check with you once on board & they see their dining situation may have an extra seat.........just in case you never get off wait list & are truly stuck with freestyle.

2. Call your TA, or the cruiseline if a direct booking, and express your concerns. I see on other threads that it may be possible to learn where you are on the wait list. You or your TA can call and advocate re: your solo status and safety concerns, maybe move you up on the list? On Princess, I was pleasantly surprised to find I was at an 8-top with ALL solos. I was NOT wait listed, did have traditional, but did call ahead to voice concern (may not be yours) that I be seated with other solos. Have NO idea if that call played ANY role.......could be Princess is fully aware that if 8 solos are at one seating, they might be fun together. We were. I'm booked on Prinsedam w. HAL next June for 14 days. They are just introducing the Anyway You Wish on Prinsedam 1 week before my cruise. Has been a little confused. I called and spoke to a supervisor re: my safety concerns and have been guaranteed

traditional.

3. Go to dining room as SOON as you're on board to see your dining status/ assignment status BEFORE dinner. Explain your concerns. He may have more flexibility BEFORE that evening than after. Or, he may have to wait until first dinner to see how things are shaking out.

Dianna's idea about bringing the book, if all else fails, is great. I also carried a journal lst night and to all buffet meals...or postcards to write....or my camera to glance through the day's photos for deletes to save memory. Sometime used these if solo at lunch.

Sounds like a wonderful cruise. Enjoy!

Martha

If you solo cruise do people come and talk with you, or do you have to reach out to them? I just wouldn't want to disrupt other people's vacations!

disrupt their vacations?:confused: Not sure I get that part. I have been sailing

solo for 4 years now. Most cruisers are very friendly:)

There are many ways to meet other folks....pick an activity and give

it a try:D example...if you enjoy trivia, there are always spots

available!

Team trivia and Battle of The Sexes too....just take the plunge,

you won't be distrupting anything, you would be welcomed to

participate.

I enjoy that, as well as wine tastings, wine blendings, wine pairings,

LOL......you won't be distrupting anything, you would be part

of the activity.

Then I always enjoy sitting at one of the many bars and chatting

with the bartenders and usually others are there as well and

most everyone is always up for a chat!

I have never felt like I was disrupting anyone else's cruise.

Again, we are all on the ship and it is a great topic to break

the ice anyway...I always ask if they have sailed the line before:D

If you solo cruise do people come and talk with you, or do you have to reach out to them? I just wouldn't want to disrupt other people's vacations!

That's a good question and an understandable concern.

Now that I think about it, I think they've generally reached out to ME. I'm generally a quiet person and pretty content to just be there enjoying myself, but I "carry" a warm smile and a simple "hello" whether already sitting alone and they happen to sit with me at a buffet table or on a bus trip or at a bar. Similarly if I have to sit with others....just a genuine, simple "hello." Then, if they're so inclined, it seems they start the conversation. Pretty natural. Okay by me & I know I haven't intruded.

I was on a ship excursion in Wales. First on bus, got a window seat. It was a BIG day for me as Wales is where my ancestors are from.....the highlight. I was glued to the window....kind of hoping maybe no one would sit with me. At the very end of the loading....with only 2 aisle seats left a lovely, elderly couple boarded. I came out of my reverie, noticed them & offered to take the aisle & let them sit together. It seemed appropriate. They declined & the wife sat with me. She was a 5th grade teacher in England, knew endless history of Wales, gave more info than the bus guide & it was a grand day of wonderful chat and sharing.

I don't know how to really articulate it. But, first & foremost, I've assumed at the outset I'm alone, but I'm so interested in the ports and so excited to be on the particular adventure and that I'm not only confident, I KNOW I'll thoroughly enjoy it all by myself. I study the ports, history, read a ton before hand. Everything else, like interesting people along the way, is gravy.

On one of my cruises solo, I did not like being placed at a table for 6 fully knowing there would only be five, two other couples and myself so I requested another table by myself. I was placed at a window in the corner and after a while a family of two young children and mother and father sat down at the table next to me. After the initial hi, the conversation started flowing and I could not believe it! I graduated with her mother back in 1964! Mind you, my class was 105 people strong! What a surprise...Pleasant dining experience. Alone, but not alone. It's like anywhere else you go. If you start a conversation with somone, they can either continue that conversation or end it. Same for yourself. It's all about choices.

Archived