Vegetarian Food on Paul Gauguin?

Meerjungfrau

I am a vegetarian (don't eat fish but do eat eggs and milk products). Will I be well catered for on the PG? The French don't tend to cater well for vegetarians on balance, and as the food seems to be largely French I have to ask myself, will I be starving?

Are vegetarian dishes likely to be bland and unimaginative on the PG?:confused:

There is a wide variety of fruits and an OK variety of vegetables on board. Obviously eggs are in good supply and there is a cheese board available with various cheeses at lunch and dinner. Yogurts (though the watery kind) are also available as is ice cream, etc.

Vegetarian or not I would not be taking this cruise for the cuisine. I am sure, however, that you will not starve...or suffer in the slightest!:)

Here are sample menus from PG on the Regent website:

http://www.rssc.com/ships/detail.jsp?code=PAU&type=dining

I haven't been on the PG but my experience on other RSSC ships is that if you want an entree in an appetizer size or an appetizer in an entree size that is no problem. Also, if you want a pasta dish without the featured sauce and just plain marinara that is an easy request as well. Also, there is usually a vegetarian choice as evidenced by the sample menus in the link above.

Debbie

On our last PG cruise exactly two years ago, a vegitarian menue was offered at dinner each day. I recall this very well. We are not vegitarians, but my wife did order a vegitarian dish a couple of times. One looked like an old tire. The other looked like a plate full of oatmeal! We are not very familiar with vegitarian fare, but I must say that presentation was lacking with these dishes! My wife sent the "tire" back, but ate the "oatmeal" and said it was good.

But seriously folks, we personally find the food GENERALLY to be pretty good on the PG. Of course, all food opinions are highly subjective, and I am probably influenced by the lack of fine dining venues here in Oklahoma, and the fact that my wife dislikes cooking and so do I.

Dolebludger, there are plenty of fine dining venues in Oklahoma--you just need to come to Tulsa. I will agree OKC is somewhat lacking. The stuff that looked like oatmeal was probably risotto--which I had too and it was very good.

As far as vegetarian options on PG, you will be fine. I am not a vegetarian, but I don't eat much meat and often select vegetarian dishes. There were always plenty of veges, a salad bar at lunch, lots of cheeses to choose from. For breakfast, they had a bar with a big variety of nuts and lots of fruits. I ate cottage cheese, strawberries and nuts every morning for breakfast.

The only day where you won't have so much choice would be lunch on the Motu day, but I guarantee you won't starve.

We just returned from the Sept. 1st cruise on the PG and there were plenty of choices for Vegetarians as stated in other posts. A wonderful salad bar, usually grilled Veggies at lunch or steamed Veggies puls many other choices. The dinner menu had lots of appetizers you could choose from and they will make that an entree if you asked. Pasta everynight with a different sauce and most of those were meatless. Lots and lots of fresh fruit and wonderful fruit desserts. You will do fine. Also, if you request something special the day before they will gladly make it for you. One night we had Oysters rockefeller which my husband loved and he happened to mention it to the head waiter and surprise, surprise they brought it out to him the next night for his appetizer. They go overboard to please.

Micked10

Archived