Yellow Fever shots

R&R sail again

My husband and I are going to the Panama canal in a few months. I have never seen any mention of special shots needed or recommended. Has anyone ever heard of any problem with someone catching something. Just want to be prepared if we should get shots. Would appreciate your help as we are new to Caribbean crusing!!! Thank you.

My sister and I are going to the Panama Canal early October this year on the Volendam. Both our Health Practices have advised us to get Yellow Fever injections. You should get them at least 2 weeks before you go as there could be an adverse reaction up to 10 days after the injection.

We live in Scotland but your doctor may advise something different. It cost us £40 ($80) for this injection. The other injections we were advised to get were Hep A, Typhoid, Tetanus, Polio.

We were also advised to get Malaria tablets. Of course it could be different advise you receive if you live in a different country.

R&R

You should check your destinations against this website. Read up and then decide. This website will also tell you where you can go locally to get a Yellow Fever Vaccine (YFV).

http://www.cdc.gov

Also, your cruise line will generally inform you if there are any actual requirements to board the ship for your sailing. It really depends on where exactly you are going. If you are required to have a YFV, you will have to have a YFV certificate to present to board the ship and those are only available from authorized vaccination clinics. The good news is that the vaccine and certificate are good for a decade.

Debbie

who go to the Carribean get shots? We are mostly staying on the ship and planning only excursions through the ship. What do other travelers do?

We got the yellow fever shot, as well as the typhoid shot as my doctor insisted since I have diabetes.

According to the CDC, you don't need vaccinations or medication for yellow fever or malaria if you don't plan on venturing beyond the Canal Zone.

I was recently reminded by my doctor the Rain Forest of the Panamal Canal Zone isn't considered the Panama Canal. My doc says get the shot and take the malarial pills. Experience tells me...better safe than sorry.

I've been checking into the Yellow Fever vaccine. The Canal cruise does not require it, but the one we are taking in April does - so we figured go ahead and get it before the Canal cruise to be safe.

The cdc.gov website has a listing of clinics giving the YFV. Prices seem to vary slightly, but it is about $95-100 for the injection, $15 for the administration, and a separate office visit fee. It will cost my husband and I around $300 for this vaccine. We will get it since it is required for the April cruise, but feel the charges are higher than necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I spoke with our travle clinic rep--she gave us the thypoih vaccines we needed for trips into Ukraine and africa..

Anyway-

on Panama--she said her website --which is updated daily

says

US tourists to the Panama Canal zone do not need Yellow fever vaccines.

I had called about typhoid, yellow fever, malaria and Dengue fever.

Her rcommendation for our family which will be in several areas affected by Dengue Fever, Yellow Fever and typhoid was

Assuming we are not trekking in the jungle or rural areas

a- limit exposure to 10a-4 pm

b- deet bug spray 30-60%

c- don't eat street vendro types of foods

She said actually the bigger risk right now in the Carribean, Mexico, Central and South American regions where we are going is Dengue...

So since we will be on a ferry in the locks with our childrend--I am going to slather them in bug spray...since the canal zone is considered ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived