My travel agent made a serious error!!!

Kay and Hal

This is the situation: We booked our Xpedition cruise departing on December 2, 2007, in May of 2006. After much deliberation, we decided on a suite, specifically because it offered a balcony and a bit more cabin space, so we booked cabin 504. We know fully well that most people who have sailed on the Xpedition claim you don't spend much time in your cabin, it's not worth it to *splurge* on a suite, yada yada yada, but this is what we wanted and booked. We paid a deposit, and Hal has been in touch with the travel agent off and on since then.

We emailed her in August 2007, to confirm the date the final payment was due. In the past, we have always received a final invoice several weeks before the final payment was due; this time we received absolutely nothing. The most recent invoice we had from her was dated July 24, 2007, sent to us after Hal informed her we had booked our own airfare, and gave the due date as September 18. September 18 was her response to our email as well.

Hal called her on Monday, September 10, 2007, and gave her our credit card number to make the final payment - keep in mind, this was 8 days before the due date she gave us. This is where this story goes downhill.

She called me at work this morning to tell me there was a *small glitch* (HER words) with our cruise. After a bit of what sounded like double talk to me (to cover her errors), we discover that she gave us the wrong date which the final payment had to be made by :mad: (the date was apparently either September 3, 2007 per an old invoice dated May 18, 2006, or September 10, per someone Hal spoke with @ Celebrity, we haven't been able to determine *which* is actually the correct date :confused: ), and the result is that someone ELSE now has booked our suite, she is so sorry, she had the dates wrong, blah blah blah. So what we've had to accept is cabin 401, NOT a suite, no balcony, even though we've had cabin 504 booked 17 months now. I'm not saying that there is anything particularly wrong with cabin 401, but we had our hearts set on 504, particularly for the balcony.

So my question is this, and I *really* hope some travel agents chime in here: What would be considered a fair and reasonable adjustment for this error? What the travel agent has proposed to us is, when we go to pick up the documents, they will give us a check for $1500, which is supposedly to cover the difference in the cabin price and their commission. Please keep in mind that the cost of cabin 401 now, vis-a-vis cabin 401 in May 2006 (the time we booked the cruise/cabin 504), is now $500 more per person, or $1000 more for the two of us. Thus, if you look at the $1500 they have offered, they are reimbursing us $1000 that we would have saved had we booked cabin 401 initially in May 2006.

Please understand, our intention is not to *make money* off of this, but to our way of thinking, they are *giving us* $500, and we are giving up A) a balcony and B) the additional cabin space/square footage. We are very disappointed :(, and we'd much rather have the suite we originally booked than the commision they would have made if they had done their jobs correctly.

Any of you want to weigh in here? No bashing, please, just some honest, tactful thoughts or feedback. Thanks.

Karen

Oh my goodness. I can imagine how disappointed you must be. So sorry.

We were recently "bumped" from a cruise tour in Alaska and the compensation offered by Royal Celebrity was very generous. (Thank you again, Celebrity.). I would expect something comparable from a travel agent. (Ours was not involved in the "bump". They were simply overbooked and we won the lottery -- or at least felt that we did!)

My bottom line would be the difference between what 401 was at the time that you made the original booking plus commission and. then $500 each as compensation.. If they offered to do some of this as OBCs for future cruises, I would listen but want it in writing!

Hope you enjoy your cruise in any event!

I would call the agent and very nicely inform her that I want a suite, maybe not 504 but a suite with a balcony and extra space. Period no if's ands or buts. No way would I accept $1,500.00 from them for their gross error. You booked a suite now it is their job to have you in a suite not some inferior cabin without a balcony or extra space. Excuse me, knowing the date of final payment should be the top priority, if not, tell me why did you book through this person?

I am sorry for you as I believe this will no doubt put a damper on your cruise no matter what happens. I'm sending all my hopes that this is just a small glitch in a wonderful cruise!

Good luck and keep us posted.

I don't think anyone will think you are trying to make money.

At best, I think you should only pay what the cabin was worth when you originally booked the cruise. On top of that, I think the agent should give you a hefty shipboard credit for your inconvenience.

By no means should you have to pay extra for a cabin that would have cost you significantly less when you booked originally (even if it was different categories).

I would think a good agent would either eat the cost (a costly lesson but a mistake that they personally made) or possibly see if their insurance (errors and ommissions insurance) would cover them and reinburse you accordingly. Most agents would rather eat the cost then file a claim.

Please remember that, unless you can confirm that the shipboard credit would actually be credited to your credit card, don't accept it. Remember that this is an all-inclusive cruise. There is no way that I can think of that you could possibly spend a lot of money on 'extras'. There really aren't any except for the very small gift shop. What you might ask for is credit towards another cruise or credit to your credit card.

I know that you are disappointed...perhaps you could switch to another date if your heart is set on a suite. I must concur with others, that the suite is not significantly bigger than some of the rooms and there are some seating areas on the ship that were almost always empty. If we felt the need for a balcony experience, we went there and had a drink, just relaxed, etc. This is a most amazing trip and I'd hate for you to begin it feeling disappointed. What a bummer.

I would call the agent and very nicely inform her that I want a suite, maybe not 504 but a suite with a balcony and extra space. Period no if's ands or buts. No way would I accept $1,500.00 from them for their gross error. You booked a suite now it is their job to have you in a suite not some inferior cabin without a balcony or extra space. Excuse me, knowing the date of final payment should be the top priority, if not, tell me why did you book through this person?

I am sorry for you as I believe this will no doubt put a damper on your cruise no matter what happens. I'm sending all my hopes that this is just a small glitch in a wonderful cruise!

Good luck and keep us posted.

This is basically what I would have suggested - perhaps check on your own first to see what suites if any are available. Then go back to the TA and say that you booked a suite and you want a suite for the same price you originally (would have) paid. If that happens, then I would expect little if any cash compensation on top of that since you are getting what you originally paid for. But negotiating an OBC or a token gift for your hassles would also not be out of line.

OK - I am a TA - IF you are willing to take cabin 401 you should NOT pay any more for it than it cost when you originally booked. An agency I 'formerly' worked with once promised one of 'my' clients that they would get them their $500 deposit back AFTER the cancellation date was past. I felt this very unfair to my client and I felt that it made me look bad - I paid the $500 out of my pocket, still the client never came back, but I still did what I considered the 'right thing'.

This TA should do the right thing! Either you can change your cruise date to a date when you can get a suite - in which case she should give you a very large on-board credit for your inconvenience and her BAD mistake. OR if you are willing to take cabin 401 you should absolutely refuse to pay any more than it cost at the time that you booked and you do not care who 'eats' the difference AND she should still give you a very large on-board credit for your inconvenience and disappointment and her BIG mistake.

I would also want and explanation as to why she did not send you a copy of the paperwork so that you could see the final pay date for yourself.

I am so sorry that you had this problem, I do wish you a great cruise whenever you go!

Remember that this is an all-inclusive cruise. There is no way that I can think of that you could possibly spend a lot of money on 'extras'.

Exactly! Also, changing the date is not an option, we planned this nearly 18 months ago, in part due to wanting a suite/balcony, in part due to arranging time off from both of our jobs, and in addition, we also have solid plans in Key West for several days following the cruise, already paid for in full.

Yes, a disappointment. I think I am just outraged that our T.A. was so casual about the fact that *she* messed up, and pretty much acted like it was no big deal.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

Your agent obviously did not read the first confirmation on the booking. Finals are due 90 days prior to departure. I personally never send out invoices to my client until I have the confirmation in hand. The invoicing system we use automatically sets finals due at 90 days for all our bookings. This way the chances of losing a cabin to people being out of town... declined credit cards.....can be averted.

I personally handle quite of alot of Cunard bookings... whose finals are due 90 days out.. and Xpeditions. So once I have the confirmation, I manually adjust the final due dates in our invoicing system to two weeks prior to the actual date.

Compensation? I don't know what to tell you. I don't think $500 is adequate... and I don't think onboard credit is worth a whit since the sailing is so inclusive. I also don't like agency gift certificates in lieu of cash.

I know what would make you happy.... the original suite.. but unfortunately, that is not a possibility.

Again, I am sorry.

Demading your original suite is not the answer to your problem. It won't work as the suite went back into inventory and therefore some else got it without knowing you had made an original deposit on it.

I am a travel agent, and IMHO this is just bad business practice on behalf of yours. I sense your disappointment and if it were me, I would be outraged, especially in this day and age when leisure travel agencies/agents depend on their commissions from cruise lines/tour operators to keep them afloat.

In my opinion, I would ask this agent to compensate you on a 50/50 basis. If she is not willing to do so, I would ask to speak with a manager. Obviously, I do not know if this is a small firm or one larger; however it is THEIR mistake NOT yours.

If she/they are not willing to do so, then your only option would be to take any credit they offer; however I would never use their services again, AND I would make it quite clear in a professional manner that you will tell everyone you know to avoid their company. If it were me I would also report them to the BBB.

I know you are not trying to "make money" off of this deal; however it's your hard earned $$$ and your vacation time at stake......

Wishing you the best....

I dont understand why you cant just DEMAND your original suite... i know someone already has it now, but tough luck.. its first in best dressed. They can have the other room, not you. and yes you should definitely still recieve some type of compenstation IMHO.
Sarah, I'm with you on this one. Unfortunately, if I read the post correctly, the problem lies with the TA and not Celebrity. Final payment passed and Celebrity went to the wait list. Once Celebrity rebooked the cabin, the problem lies squarely with the TA.

401 was probably the only cabin left after final payment. If there had been no cabins available, the problem could have been even worse.

I'd seriously be thinking of asking for a 50% refund of the cruise total. The agencies and/or agents fault. I'd probably settle at 30%.

Seriously, this is a once in a lifetime vacation. Going from a suite with 230 sq ft. to an oceanview with 160 sq ft. has to be a major letdown when you've been planning the trip for a year and a half.

Charlie

I dont understand why you cant just DEMAND your original suite... i know someone already has it now, but tough luck.. its first in best dressed. They can have the other room, not you. and yes you should definitely still recieve some type of compenstation IMHO.

It doesn't work that way. When a Final gets missed the cruiseline treats it as a cancelled booking and re-sells the cabin. It's not the fault of the current occupant that they got the room due to someone else's error. Possession, as they say, is 9/10ths of the law and the agent has zero leverage here. And we are talking Xpedition here, not the QM2. There are only 7 suites total.

I am a TA and before that I spent 20 years in branch banking so I have "served the public" most of my working life. While your TA's actions, or lack thereof, are inexcusable, I am also certain they were not malicious and this comes under the heading of "**** Happens". We pray it never happens and when it does we pray even harder that we can fix it, but sometimes we just can't. In that case we take responsibility and try as best we can to make it right. I don't like the fact that your TA apparently tried to dance around what happened, but that too is human nature. I have learned (the hard way sometimes) over the years that admitting you screwed up is the best policy. While I personally think $2000 would be more appropriate ($1000 fare difference plus $1000 Mea Culpa), given that shipboard credit and the like is useless, I would accept the $1500. Yes $1000 is money "you would have saved" but it is also cold, hard cash in your pocket now and the bottom line is they really don't owe you anything (legally) other than an apology. They already know (or they surely suspect) they have irretreivably lost any future business, or future referrals, from you, so why not cut their losses. But that's just my opinion, which is what you asked for.

Please try not to dwell on this and let it spoil what is a fantastic cruise. It's small (if any) consolation, but we had 507 when we did this cruise in June 2006. It's really not that much bigger than the other cabins and I doubt if we used the balcony more than two hours total in the seven days. The only thing we really used it for was drying the snorkel gear. There are too many other things to do and see on this cruise to spend much time in your cabin.

my apologises.. i certainly didnt realise how small this ship is.. or that celebrity would have just seen it as a cancellation.

Sorry for my ignorance.

No apologies necessary. The vast majority of people have no idea that Xpedition is only 13,000 tons and carries only 96 passengers when she is full. It is a VERY unique cruise experience.

Do you know if she is her own travel agency or part of a larger travel agency?

I would tell her plainly and clearly and unemotionally exactly what you expect in return for her egregious error.

1. Cabin 401 at the price you would have paid for it at the time you booked.

2. A written explanation of how she made such an unprofessional and egregious error and an apology.

3. A $500 gift certificate for Celebrity that you can spend either on this cruise or towards another cruise, however YOU see fit.

IF she fails to comply with ANY part of your demands get her full name, her CLIA number and report her to CLIA and to Celebrity. She is giving CLIA and Celebrity a bad name as a representative of theirs. She may not have her own CLIA number, she may be working under her agency's number. If she does not have her own CLIA number ask her what her CLIA designation is (AC, MC, EC) and verify this with CLIA. (CLIA#754-224-2200)

Please let me know if I can assist you in any way at all.

wgpmap@hotmail.com

Karen - The bottom line is you have to be ok with the cabin she's offering, period. If you are going to be miserable with it, maybe consider something different.

If you can live with that cabin and be happy and enjoy yourself, than I'd say take it at the original price and they pay the difference. Then go and enjoy your cruise.

But once you make your decision whatever you choose, don't dwell and don't continue to talk about it, just go on and forward.

Don't use them again either.

Charlie

Reading this I am very sorry and I hope it will work out for you in the end. Perhaps it is not Celebrity’s fault but it might help to register a complaint with them. After all, they have now an unhappy customer too.

I went too through similar frustration during the last weeks. My booking was messed up and cancelled by third parties representing Celebrity in Austria. (were the booking was made)

However, after having been in touch with Celebrity Head Office in London I was given an apology and the cabin to my liking. Within Celebrity, it was handled very good and professionally and I was a happy punter in the end.

So contact them and see what they can do for you.

A salutory lesson for us all. Don't assume you can miss the final payment deadline.

Possibly on a larger ship, 2000 passengers, there will be perhaps 20 who miss paying (assuming you were the only ones out of 96). Some of these may be insurance cancellations and others oversights but it is unlikely that all 20 will be sold that close to the deadline.

However I shall make a note in my diary of the 90 day deadlines.

I'm so sorry about what happened to you. I can only suggest the same thing everyone else has. Calmly and politely demand that your TA/agency give you the new cabin at the cost it would have been at the time of your original booking - she should be required to cover the difference in price with X. AND that you receive a $500 OBC on this or a future cruise. Speak to the Agency boss - if she's the boss, make your requirements clear in writing to avoid misunderstanding. You may not receive the $500 OBC for a future cruise as compensation but the cabin at the original price should be a no brainer even to this woman.

I'm sure you'll never use this TA again but I hope this situation doesn't spoil your cruise. It's very easy for me to sit here and tell you to handle the business of your cruise and then let the aggravation go and enjoy yourself - but that's what I hope you can do. You've dreamed of this vacation for 1 1/2 years - I and everyone else here TRULY sympathizes with your predicament. I hope that by the time you get on the ship, monetary fairness will have been achieved and this whole problem will be diminished by the wonder and joy of your vacation.

Denise

sounds like a terrible situation i would be annoyed too but the reality is there are no suites now and you will not be getting one

go on your cruise and enjoy it

as you said you will not be in the cabin much anyway

i would speak with the t/a and strongly suggest i am not paying any more than the cabin cost when i booked a suite

i would never deal with the t/a again

One other thought along the lines already suggested.

Ask for the monetary value of compensation and not money itself. Money is nice but it is also absolute.

However if you get the value you might get more for your money and the TA may pay less.

For instance you might value a chauffeur service which would be high cost to you but low cost to the TA. OBC, can be used to pay the 'full cost' of something such as a tour or a drink, but only costs the provider the base price and loss of profit. In this case the cruise company would not forego its profit; this would cost the TA.

How about flight upgrades?

There must be things that you want and the TA could provide, as well as humble pie.

In my opinion, I would ask this agent to compensate you on a 50/50 basis. If she is not willing to do so, I would ask to speak with a manager. Obviously, I do not know if this is a small firm or one larger; however it is THEIR mistake NOT yours.

If she/they are not willing to do so, then your only option would be to take any credit they offer; however I would never use their services again, AND I would make it quite clear in a professional manner that you will tell everyone you know to avoid their company. If it were me I would also report them to the BBB.

I'm inclined to agree with you, and NO, I will never use them again. We've used this same TA since 1999, although the girl we used to use has left and another has our *account*. And I am definitely the type who would *spread the word* and discourage others from using them! LOL

Your agent obviously did not read the first confirmation on the booking. Finals are due 90 days prior to departure. I personally never send out invoices to my client until I have the confirmation in hand. The invoicing system we use automatically sets finals due at 90 days for all our bookings. This way the chances of losing a cabin to people being out of town... declined credit cards.....can be averted.

I personally handle quite of alot of Cunard bookings... whose finals are due 90 days out.. and Xpeditions. So once I have the confirmation, I manually adjust the final due dates in our invoicing system to two weeks prior to the actual date.

Compensation? I don't know what to tell you. I don't think $500 is adequate... and I don't think onboard credit is worth a whit since the sailing is so inclusive. I also don't like agency gift certificates in lieu of cash.

I know what would make you happy.... the original suite.. but unfortunately, that is not a possibility.

Again, I am sorry.

Chalk it up to *my* ignorance, I honestly didn't know that finals were due 90 days prior, as we've always received notice via mail in the past. A lesson learned…….. Yes, the original suite would make me happy, but I realize that is not going to happen.

It doesn't work that way. When a Final gets missed the cruiseline treats it as a cancelled booking and re-sells the cabin. It's not the fault of the current occupant that they got the room due to someone else's error. Possession, as they say, is 9/10ths of the law and the agent has zero leverage here. And we are talking Xpedition here, not the QM2. There are only 7 suites total.

While your TA's actions, or lack thereof, are inexcusable, I am also certain they were not malicious and this comes under the heading of "**** Happens". I don't like the fact that your TA apparently tried to dance around what happened, but that too is human nature. I have learned (the hard way sometimes) over the years that admitting you screwed up is the best policy. While I personally think $2000 would be more appropriate ($1000 fare difference plus $1000 Mea Culpa), given that shipboard credit and the like is useless, I would accept the $1500. Yes $1000 is money "you would have saved" but it is also cold, hard cash in your pocket now and the bottom line is they really don't owe you anything (legally) other than an apology. They already know (or they surely suspect) they have irretreivably lost any future business, or future referrals, from you, so why not cut their losses. But that's just my opinion, which is what you asked for.

I agree………and I think we have no choice but to accept what they have offered. And we will DEFINITELY use another TA for our next cruise - and there WILL be a *next* cruise.

We made our own flight reservations, as we found we saved enough money in doing so to warrant it. Onboard credit absolutely doesn't benefit us on this particular cruise

Quite honestly, I was so angry and disappointed yesterday, I was ready to cancel the cruise, period. However, as someone said, this truly is a once-in-a-lifetime cruise; I seriously doubt we'll have the opportunity to do this particular cruise again. So for that, and other reasons, we will be going, and we'll be in 401, and I'll have to be happy about it, or at least accept it, as this is a very small ship and obviously there are no suites available at this late date.

I WILL enjoy my cruise, and I feel certain I'll get over my huge disappointment, hopefully by the time we cruise! LOL

But we will never use this TA again, and I've learned an important lesson regarding final payment due dates.

Thanks for all of your considerate and enlightening replies.

Karen

Archived