Favorite Places on the Mercury?

nancycoop1

I don't know about little-known things, but you will love Mercury. We sailed her to the MR last Jan. and will sail her to Aust/NZ next Jan. I'm into trivia and other games. I usually come into the appointed lounge by myself since DH is not a player, but always find a team of friendly people to play with. The entertainment, food, service, excursions--EVERYTHING was wonderful.

The waffles are not secret, but finding them is not always easy. We were on Galaxy (Mercury's sister) 2 years ago and we kept seeing people walking around with plates of yummy-looking Belgain waffles. Finally we sort of stalked some waffle-carriers and saw where they were coming from (aft of the buffet area) and have been hooked ever since.

I'm sure you will find more pointers here soon. Happy cruising! You've chosen a good ship! What's your itinerary? Have you cruised before?

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 nights In London

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera

1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ

There is nothing like spending a half hour in the martini bar as the sun sets and you prepare for gormet meal in the Manhattan Dining Room.....gee acan't wai to get back there. :D

Another favorite is stopping by the Cova Cafe for a mid morning latte--great on a sea day.

Have fun!

S

I love stopping by the Cova Cafe for a cocktail before dinner. It's not as smoky as the Martini Bar (at least in my experience) and they usually have excellent background music. My favorite was Mark Ferris, who was a singer/pianist on our Mexican trip in May 2005. There is an added benefit of being able to step right outside the door on the deck there to watch the sun go down. Or the late shore excursioners who are ferried out on the harbor master's boat.

Also, please take advantage of the Manhattan Dining Room. We have met some lovely friends there and had wonderful servers. The food is better than I can get in many excellent restaurants in San Francisco. Although we usually do breakfast at the Lido or have room service, we opt for lunch in the dining room.

Karenlynne

Nancy -

I noticed that you've taken a GCT to Eastern Europe. My mother and I are planning on doing a GCT cruise to Prague next September. How was it? Any warnings or superlatives? The cabins look SO SMALL compared to Celebrity and Mercury (which we're used to). You can e-mail me at preachers_kid01@yahoo.com if you wish.

Karenlynne

Hi, if you go up to the lido deck and walk as far aft as you can

there is a deck area out there with tables, chairs and umbrellas.

It is not really a secret but I love it out there:) Gives you a great

view of the water.

Hi, if you go up to the lido deck and walk as far aft as you can

there is a deck area out there with tables, chairs and umbrellas.

It is not really a secret but I love it out there:) Gives you a great

view of the water.

There is actually a little secret aft area. If you walk aft on the promenade deck and take the stairs up there is a lovely little area looking out the aft. We used it on a Panama cruise and it was almost empty where as further up it was 3 deep.

Nice place to go in the evening to watch the luminence churn up from the wake.

There is actually a little secret aft area. If you walk aft on the promenade deck and take the stairs up there is a lovely little area looking out the aft. We used it on a Panama cruise and it was almost empty where as further up it was 3 deep.

Nice place to go in the evening to watch the luminence churn up from the wake.

Oh I keep forgetting.....that is outside the Pavillion Club, right?

Donald (Celebritymania) has told me about it. On deck 7 right?

I gotta remember that spot:)

Hi Lois, :)

Be certain to try the area Donald mentioned. It was wonderful and empty on my cruise. Many thanks to him for the info.

Sorry about not writing a review of alaska. I have never done this, but may try it after my Med. cruise next month. I plan to keep a journal for this one.

Anne

Hi Anne:) I will definitely check out that spot, thanks for

the reminder:D outside the Pavillion night club!

Oh, as for the review, you could just post your thoughts about the

trip. It doesn't have to be an "official review":)

Oh I keep forgetting.....that is outside the Pavillion Club, right?

Donald (Celebritymania) has told me about it. On deck 7 right?

I gotta remember that spot:)

Thats correct. This spot only is on C-Class ships, M-class ships now have aft balconeys alway the way down.

Does anyone have any tips for special places, things to do etc. etc. Most ships have these little known things that can add so much.

On the aft of the Penthouse deck used to be a secret deck. They have now added balcony cabins to the middle of that space, but I believe that the sides are still open. We considered it our private deck. Whip up the stairs and you're on the outside lido deck. Would appreciate a report when you get back about how that space is since the addition of the balcony cabins.

Have a great cruise!

On the aft of the Penthouse deck used to be a secret deck. They have now added balcony cabins to the middle of that space, but I believe that the sides are still open. We considered it our private deck. Whip up the stairs and you're on the outside lido deck. Would appreciate a report when you get back about how that space is since the addition of the balcony cabins.

On my July 27 cruise I took a photograph of the starboard side of the aft Penthouse Deck. There are still a few lounge chairs there.

Donald.

1946832337_20070727PenthouseDeck2.jpg.ff967ff11752165f7074b3af9e8cdc08.jpg

Lois, I too enjoy the back deck of the ship.

I found a place last year at the back of the ship and was all by myself, but can't remember what deck it was on. It was when we were in Victoria and I just sat there and looked at the beautiful scenery. It may have been the place some of you mentioned. I will have to look for it on Friday, as that is when I will be on-board! Yeah!

On my July 27 cruise I took a photograph of the starboard side of the aft Penthouse Deck. There are still a few lounge chairs there.

Donald.

Thanks, Donald! So the only thing missing is the ability to go from one side of the ship to the other back there (which was cool when viewing scenery).

Does anyone have a picture of the aft deck - Panorama deck AFTER they added the new balcony cabins?

That WAS my favorite spot. We will be back onboard October 1 with a group of 8 friends and wanted a spot we could all meet up together that wad sort of private.

Thanks,

Teri

Here is a photograph of what pitifully is left for regular passengers on the aft deck of Panorama Deck, taken last July 27 on the Mercury. Can you believe that when I commented at that time that 1,800 people lost use of that aft section, an aftie pooh-poohed, "Instead of a loss, I regard it as a bonus for us."

Donald.

255019433_20070727Panorama.jpg.0ca35cf7cf29ac951b3e230028911a67.jpg

Archived