Question for you New York sailors...

Rumncoke

If you were staying at a hotel at 49th & 10th, would you walk to the ship or take a taxi (will have 4 large pieces of luggage)?

If you did walk, where's the best place to cross 12th?

It looks close on the maps, but I can't tell how long those big blocks are.

This is for the Dawn, and I understand there will be 3 other ships in port that day.

Thanks, guys!

If you were staying at a hotel at 49th & 10th, would you walk to the ship or take a taxi (will have 4 large pieces of luggage)?

This is for the Dawn, and I understand there will be 3 other ships in port that day.

Thanks, guys!

I would take a cab, Its a long walk carrying four bags etc.....

If the terminals packed get out accross the street on 52nd and walk across

TS

Thanks, guys!

Take a taxi. These crosstown blocks are very long. It will be pandemonium trying to get a longshoreman and navigate when people are getting off the ship. The driver will get you one (if he expects a decent tip).

Most real New Yorkers would walk. I'd take a cab, especially with luggage.

At a minimum, you better have perfect weather (not too hot, not too cold) lugggae with wheels, very comfortable shoes, a strong back & strong legs & a bad a$$ attitude b/c even though NYC is safer than it has been in decades, you will be screaming tourist.

Those are LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG blocks from 10th Avenue to 12th Avenue. Crossing 12th Avenue is no walk in the park. A cab won't cost you that much, I would definitely do a cab. I wouldn't even consider walking it with luggage and I am a "real New Yorker".

Thanks, everybody. Very helpful.

I'm not a bad a$$, and there's "tourist" written all over me, so I think we'll cab it.

Lugging four pieces of luggage two long avenue blocks, you will definitely have tourist written all over you. I'm glad you are deciding to cab it, wise choice.

Thanks, everybody. Very helpful.

I'm not a bad a$$, and there's "tourist" written all over me, so I think we'll cab it.

There is nothing wrong with looking like a tourist, you ARE a tourist.:D NYC is not a big bad place where you are going to be mugged because you are a tourist. The only bad thing about being a tourist is that people think that you can be taken advantaged of. Like overcharge you for a taxi ride or sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.:p

I always wanted my very own bridge!:D

How much should a taxi cost from 49th & 10th to the pier? Should we ask the price up front?

I figure about $5 or $6 depending on traffic.

http://www.nyccabfare.com/

Someone posted this website on another thread. You can just put cross streets as the address (as opposed to the actual address) and get an estimate of cost. It's pretty accurate, maybe a slighter higher estimate.

There is nothing wrong with looking like a tourist, you ARE a tourist.:D NYC is not a big bad place where you are going to be mugged because you are a tourist. The only bad thing about being a tourist is that people think that you can be taken advantaged of. Like overcharge you for a taxi ride or sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.:p

Since I started the "real" NYer thing & made the tourist crack -- I thought I'd clarify. I started by saying NY is safer than ever. Even so, there's not much going on in that neighborhood on a weekend & if the person's hands are filled with trying to figure out where you are going plus manage buggage, it is an invitation to a shady character. I'd offer the same advice in any big city, not just the Big Apple.

I figure about $5 or $6 depending on traffic.

http://www.nyccabfare.com/

Someone posted this website on another thread. You can just put cross streets as the address (as opposed to the actual address) and get an estimate of cost. It's pretty accurate, maybe a slighter higher estimate.

estimates don't include tolls and the way they show from LGA to the Manhattan cruise terminal is the long way with a toll, when you can get there many times faster and more directly. I think the estimates are purely based on mileage without any stopping time and will be lower-sometimes much lower than the actual fares.

Archived