Tell The Truth...please Respond!!!

CGTNORMANDIE

I hate the word "code". It sounds like if you don't abide by the dress code you will be arrested. I wish they would come up with a different name such as "recomended evening attire" or something like that. To answer the question I most definitely go along with the recomended evening attire. My wife enjoys it and if it makes my wife happy I'm happy.

Would I be dissappointed? NO Would I like it? NO Would I say something? It depends, is it my place to police the dress code for Celebrity? Do I know their circumstances? Should I let something like an infraction of the dress code spoil my vacation? NO

However, I really haven't seen any major infractions of the dress code on my 3 sailings.

[quote name='SaltwaterTwo']I hate the word "code". It sounds like if you don't abide by the dress code you will be arrested. I wish they would come up with a different name such as "recomended evening attire" or something like that. To answer the question I most definitely go along with the recomended evening attire. My wife enjoys it and if it makes my wife happy I'm happy.[/QUOTE]
It always says "Suggested dress" for the evening

HI GANG,

Here are the first results...so far.

There have been 44 verified responses so far.

35 were YES

8 were NO

1 was nolo

This means that 79.5% do care if the "Requested Dress" is not followed...And 18.18% do not care if the "Requested Dress" is followed.

Please continue to post your responses to the question as posed on page 1. Please keep your response brief...a simple YES or a NO will suffice. PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC AND PLEASE BE NICE.

Thank you for your responses and "cheerful" comments.

ROSS

We are always dressed appropriately at dinner. That's part of the fun of planning for me. My choice, but I like to dress nice every day, not just on cruises.

To honestly answer the OP, I really don't take much notice what other people are wearing. It's amusing when I see people give percentages on these boards of how many men wear tuxes, (can't remember if I've done that) do some of us actually count and tally while dining?

I use a method called the "Gray Reach", named after a personal friend. You extend your arm, make a wide circle in your immediate vicinity, if it's not in that vicinity, it doesn't concern you.

BTW, we have had lovely conversations with people wearing clothing that I would not wear, what does it matter?

Rules or Codes...

Inappropriate is wearing attire that is not appropriate. Wearing a nice pair of slacks and a sport shirt is not inappropriate.

While I appreciate this is a fun type of board ... if something like this affects some of you so much to ruin your evening, cruise, etc. then I suggest a new hobby for you.

As for X enforcement they do not enforce any rules or codes in any event.

Now, I no longer drag my Tux along but do wear a dark leather blazer with my special bowties for formal nights.

So score me a yes a no and who cares.

I don't think people are saying it will ruin their vacation. It is just that a free society depends on people following certain rules. If laws and rules are not followed you have anarchy. Sure wearing or not wearing formal clothing on a cruise ship is minor in the overall scheme of things, but the general attitude of not following rules or laws or codes because people don't want to, is a problem that spreads out to all areas.

[quote name='cruisinjudy']I don't think people are saying it will ruin their vacation. It is just that a free society depends on people following certain rules. If laws and rules are not followed you have anarchy. Sure wearing or not wearing formal clothing on a cruise ship is minor in the overall scheme of things, but the general attitude of not following rules or laws or codes because people don't want to, is a problem that spreads out to all areas.[/QUOTE]
They aren't rules. They are guidelines. Rules are enforceable. Celebrity does NOT enforce them. Therefore they are 'suggested guidelines'.

Personally, I think that's one of the biggest problems with the whole topic. Celebrity has chosen NOT to enforce them. Not to make them rules.

[quote name='CGTNORMANDIE']HI GANG,

Here are the first results...so far.

There have been 44 verified responses so far.

35 were YES

8 were NO

1 was nolo

This means that 79.5% do care if the "Requested Dress" is not followed...And 18.18% do not care if the "Requested Dress" is followed.

Please continue to post your responses to the question as posed on page 1. Please keep your response brief...a simple YES or a NO will suffice. PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC AND PLEASE BE NICE.

Thank you for your responses and "cheerful" comments.

ROSS[/QUOTE]
Ross,
For a brief response you might have asked your question as follows.
===============================================
Do you think the recommended Celebrity dress code should be adhered to?

Answer: Yes or No

[quote name='scapel']Ross,
For a brief response you might have asked your question as follows.
===============================================
Do you think the recommended Celebrity dress code should be adhered to?

Answer: Yes or No[/QUOTE]
Probably would have received 100% yes on that one.

We vote yes, we are disappointed, there really are other options and Celebrity has always published their dress code. Too bad the dining room staff is not allowed to enforce the code. It's really fun to dress up, and it makes the whole dining room feel festive!

[quote name='cruisinjudy']I don't think people are saying it will ruin their vacation. It is just that a free society depends on people following certain rules. If laws and rules are not followed you have anarchy. Sure wearing or not wearing formal clothing on a cruise ship is minor in the overall scheme of things, but the general attitude of not following rules or laws or codes because people don't want to, is a problem that spreads out to all areas.[/QUOTE]

So answer me this: Do you feel the same way about the "no outside alcohol" rules? Any of you touting the "rules"? I have seen helpfull (?) hints on how to smuggle booze aboard all over these boards. And alas no scathing retorts about those rules. What's up with that do you suppose? Follow the rules you like and disregard the rest?? hmmmmm, makes me go hmmmmmm

Rules, guidelines, whatever, the idea is that a free society is based on people doing what is expected. The more people don't do what they should, the more rules there will be. Celebrity "suggests" the proper dress in the expectation that passengers will follow these suggestions and they will not be required to be policemen.
As to booze smuggling, I do not smuggle booze on board. Does it bother me if others do? Well, frankly I haven't actually witnessed this happening, but I know by these boards that people do it. Will it ruin my cruise? Not unless they get stinkin' drunk around me. However, disregard of this guideline could affect me at a later date if enforcement needs to be more severe and it slows down boarding due to passengers smuggling booze.

[quote name='cruisinjudy']Rules, guidelines, whatever, the idea is that a free society is based on people doing what is expected. The more people don't do what they should, the more rules there will be. Celebrity "suggests" the proper dress in the expectation that passengers will follow these suggestions and they will not be required to be policemen.
[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I disagree. Free society can do whatever 'free' society wishes to provided it is within the rules (ie LAWS). Laws/Rules are enforceable and carry a penalty. Therefore, many people are discouraged from breaking the law because of the penalty associated with it. There is nothing to discourage passengers to wear what they feel like on a cruise since the cruiseline does not enforce their guidelines. A few nasty looks or snide comments from other passengers is probably not enough deterrent to discourage them from wearing whatever they feel like wearing.

I always take full advantage of the formal nights, because both my husband and I(Yes ...I said my husband) love to go formal....

I do not take offense to others who do not share with us our pleasure in formal dress. However, I will not let how others dress change the way we dress.....Just plain 'ol fun for us.

We have booked for the first time on Celebrity in April 05, and have read here and there that Celebrity does tend more towards a formal dress. Prior, our cruises have been on RCCL and Princess...

I would sure be greatful to anyone if they could tell us if we should expect a different dress attire than on the aforementioned lines. Well...not that it will change the way we dress...We love to go over the top with wonderful ball gowns, and tuxes.... Hope I am not alone when I say, this has got to be half of the fun of cruising.

yes we'd be dissapointed. Not to the point of it really bothering us though.

We enjoy formal nights. I like wearing a tux and being in the formal atmousphere. It was nice that everyone at our table wore formalwear last March on the Summit. It added a lot to the fun.

Archived