Retiring on a cruise ship?

The4Cruisers

I heard it mentioned several times about how good it could be to retire and take up full time residence on a cruise ship. The perks mentioned included a low cost of living, daily linen and steward service, an abundance of food, entertainment and new friends, etc.

Has anyone ever done this or checked into the feasibility/practicality of living f/t on a cruise ship?

I'm nowheres near retirement, but this topic has piqued my curiousity.

Residential ships are becoming more commonplace and diversified - you can buy whole ownership or fractional.

I'm not sure about cost of living being lower -- may depend on where you reside now and how much you spend on things that you will now be more of a captive audience in obtaining. Laundry services, hair appts, doctor appts. Or maybe the items available onboard are less than tourist prices? can I order from Costco.com for delivery??

The accomodations seem spacious enuf, but I wonder about guest policies - can my brother come visit like he visits my home? What about when I want to go visit someone on land - what options are there for returning to ship??? Can I sublet?

On the subject of friends, seems like moving to a new neighborhood.

Am I paying property taxes? Do I have constant travel insurance? How do I get mail? Is there a reasonable phone/internet/tv plan? Is there daily or weekly maid service and is that included or extra?

I have to admit it sounds appealling (to me - DH would never go for it). Given the length of time until I retire, it could be long enuf for the price to get low enuf for me to do it. But what if I do it a year and want OUT? Do I have to sell my share, do I rent it out, can I sell back and at what terms?

It will be some time before I can put this in the Maybe or Not For Me pile. My gut feel is that while it sounds great, I would miss my total freedom, home games, my car and my dog.

I expect this idea to catch fire much like timeshare is now expanding into ever more luxurious products for the wealthy, including fractional ownership in multi-million dollar homes packed in 'clubs' (I think the term is Destination Club).

comments embedded

Residential ships are becoming more commonplace and diversified - you can buy whole ownership or fractional.

The ones that have tried it have either gone under or had serious financial problems. I believe the most successful (The World) was bought out by the owners.

I'm not sure about cost of living being lower -- may depend on where you reside now and how much you spend on things that you will now be more of a captive audience in obtaining. Laundry services, hair appts, doctor appts. Or maybe the items available onboard are less than tourist prices? can I order from Costco.com for delivery??

To get a decent sized "suite" costs millions. That is more than my neighborhood..... and mine is pretty pricey.

The accomodations seem spacious enuf, but I wonder about guest policies - can my brother come visit like he visits my home? What about when I want to go visit someone on land - what options are there for returning to ship??? Can I sublet? On the subject of friends, seems like moving to a new neighborhood.

My mother sailed the World. Seems they had many unsold cabins so put it up for the public to "take cruises". They were pretty pricey too (Crystal prices). I do not know about sublet or having friends aboard.

Am I paying property taxes? Do I have constant travel insurance? How do I get mail? Is there a reasonable phone/internet/tv plan? Is there daily or weekly maid service and is that included or extra?

Maintenance costs are high. Takes more to maintain a ship than a condo. Everything is extra. No food is included. If you eat in a dining room you are charged. They do have a small on ship grocery store. Do not know about maid service. May be included in the maintenance fees ... but whatever..... I am sure the owners pay.

I have to admit it sounds appealling (to me - DH would never go for it). Given the length of time until I retire, it could be long enuf for the price to get low enuf for me to do it. But what if I do it a year and want OUT? Do I have to sell my share, do I rent it out, can I sell back and at what terms?

One thing I would worry is unlike real estate, ships become obsolete. Not many 30 yr old ships still sailing. Guess you would get a rebate when they scrap her.

It will be some time before I can put this in the Maybe or Not For Me pile. My gut feel is that while it sounds great, I would miss my total freedom, home games, my car and my dog. I expect this idea to catch fire much like timeshare is now expanding into ever more luxurious products for the wealthy, including fractional ownership in multi-million dollar homes packed in 'clubs' (I think the term is Destination Club).

I would doubt it. I think the cost is too prohibitive.

I thought I could just sell my house, build a small granny flat out the back of my daughters house and take many cruises each year with the rest of the money.

First my daughter actually has to leave home AND buy a house.

I guess I'll have to wait until I retire.

There is a woman (Lorraine Arzt(sp??) who spends about 10 months a year on a Princess ship. For years, she lived on the old Royal, when it was transferred, she moved to another ship. Last spring she moved to the new Royal, and is her godmother. She has spent over 4000 nights on Princess ships

Bea Muller does it on the QE2

http://www.roblightbody.com/liners/qe-2/bea_QE2_2006.htm

Muller says it costs her "less than $100,000" a year to live as a permanent resident onboard, including trips on shore and for the traveling she does at other times.

No ones too sure about what she will do when QE2 retires -

I like this bit

"Why should I go home to my vacuum cleaner?" she asks. "If I run out of money, my sons will keep me here to keep me out of their hair. They're delighted I'm safe and happy."

I could do with relatives like that:)

I saw the end of a program about the World a couple of weeks ago - it implied there were guest rooms (for hire?) for relatives, along with cabins to let as holiday lets but I don't know how old the program was.

Karen

It would be the ultimate in downsizing. We have friends who cruise about 1/3 of the year. The have a very small condo in a high rise where everything is taken care of including their plants.

When they sold their big house and one of their cars they invested the money and cruise on the income.

It works for them!

They are even talking about expanding their travels to half the year. They cruise in the bottom third of the price range, watch for specials and discounts and deal directly with the cruise lines usually booking when on board.

The cut their land based expenses by only having a cell phone (no hard wired phones) and buying a very small condo with small monthly fees.

Their grown children join them on some cruises. They actually spend more time with their children than they did prior to retiring to sea.

"There is a woman (Lorraine Arzt(sp??) who spends about 10 months a year on a Princess ship"

When we were on the Sea in February of this year, we were told that she was aboard. It was explained that she leaves the ship for short periods 3-4 times a year to take care of her finances and personal affairs.

I'd love to have the finances that would allow me to do that. I'm retired and have the time - - alas, not that kind of money.

I must say, the idea is ever so attractive:)

Every now and then I calculate all my land based expenses and think things through. Hmmm...no lawn care, no electric bill, no paying for theater tickets, no water bill.....

I could be very happy sailing most of the year. A modest cabin would be just fine.

I must say, the idea is ever so attractive:)

Every now and then I calculate all my land based expenses and think things through. Hmmm...no lawn care, no electric bill, no paying for theater tickets, no water bill.....

I could be very happy sailing most of the year. A modest cabin would be just fine.

Yes, my friends have very reduced land expenses. Giving up one car made a huge difference just for maintenance and insurance. They pay for electricity for their condo, but it is a small bill especially when they aren't there.

Somewhere along the way they've lost interest in shopping, buying clothes etc. There's another savings!

I think they should write a book about how to do this!

Or someone should!

There is a woman (Lorraine Arzt(sp??) who spends about 10 months a year on a Princess ship. For years, she lived on the old Royal, when it was transferred, she moved to another ship. Last spring she moved to the new Royal, and is her godmother. She has spent over 4000 nights on Princess ships

I met her, she was on our 14 day sea princess trip last march. When they made the announcement in the lounge of her time on princess I had expected a woman a bit older. Id think a single person would find it a bit lonely.

I met her, she was on our 14 day sea princess trip last march. When they made the announcement in the lounge of her time on princess I had expected a woman a bit older. Id think a single person would find it a bit lonely.

She sailed for years with her husband who died a just a few years ago. They were on our 1991 Dawn Princess cruise (and were the most traveled then).

She has spent more time on Princess ships then probably some of their captains.... plus she probably knows some of the crew better than their captains. ;)

I think if one stuck to sailing in the Caribbean, it is possible to live onboard ( inside cabin/double occupancy) for a lot less than assisted living on the mainland.

And just think, a new week and fresh meat for tablemates and the ability to recycle those stories again and again.

I think if one stuck to sailing in the Caribbean, it is possible to live onboard ( inside cabin/double occupancy) for a lot less than assisted living on the mainland.

And just think, a new week and fresh meat for tablemates and the ability to recycle those stories again and again.

One problem with the Caribbean is the ships typically do not stay there year round (those pesty Hurricanes and hot weather). So you would really be sailing year round most likely in the Caribbean and Alaska. That would be a good change of pace....... but I still vote for the around the world cruises..... like the lady on the QE2.

Remember the old "You Bet Your Life" show with Groucho. A lady came on and had like 10 kids. Groucho asked her why and she said something like I just love my husband so much. Groucho's response was "I love my cigar too but I take it out of my mouth every once in a while!"

That is sort of the way I feel about cruising! Living on a cruise ship would be awfully confining!

Archived