Do you enjoy hallway banter?

Aussie Cruisers

ME,....there are many of them that are really delicious:)

You ought to just give it a chance:D.....and to be honest with you,

I have had such wonderful bartenders, if you tell them what type

of flavor you like they can usually make exactly what you are looking

for;)

Never hurts to open up your taste buds!!!

It is Vodka, Chambord...(that would be black raspberry liquor),

and pinapple juice as the mixer. Shaken.....add an orange twist to garnish.

I learned about this drink before my 1st Celebrity cruise...been

hooked ever since;)

Thank you! Sounds wonderful...will have to try one when we cruise (very first time) spring of 08!!

• 3 months later...

I sailed 6136 on Millie...met no movie stars. but met some of the nicest people on the ship! To the Texans in the RS next to us...hey Tara!...to the folks at the end of the world (PH)...Rico and Kari..so much fun! The funny thing is we didn't meet some of them on the deck (well, except when I was locked out of my room and Tara and Wayne invited me in while I waited for a new key card). You will meet great folks all over regardless of where you stay! Rico and Kari....if you are listening...loved, loved you....(did you find the toys David left in the PH? I think he wants them back lol)....hope to see you on Solstice inagaural!

I just discovered this thread so am bouncing back to the original discussion, on saying "hi" in the halls. On my recent cruise on RSSC Voyager they had a good idea. The second night out, at six PM, they rang a bell and everyone was to leave their cabin and gather in the hall. The stewardesses had wine and snacks on their carts and you got to meet all the people in nearby cabins. Members of the entertainment staff were scattered through the ship to meet the guests and the captain made a really fast pass through the hallways greeting the guests. For the rest of the week there was a lot of "helloing" in the halls as most people had already met.

I always smile and say hello to those I pass in hallways and encounter coming in and out of the cabins. Sometimes some cute older folks will chat with us and tell us about their day. I love that!! It makes me miss my mom and dad as that what they would have done. I travel because I love to meet people of all types from many places - to me this is one of the things that make trips memorable and enjoyable.

As usual, when getting on a packed elevator, I remark to my cringing wife, "this is why midgets don't like elevators." Occasionally this brings a chuckle out of some other warped rider. Last month, on CB, a woman remarked, "they prefer to be called 'little people,' I know, I have one." That may be the last time I play that line...

Oh fooey:eek: ...I forgot to use the line about calling a meeting:)

not any specific group meeting...but someone a while back said

when they got on the elevator with a group of folks they

pressed the button and said, "Ok, now ya'll know why I called

this meeting":D ......I was going to use that line while I was on

Century last week!...Fooeyy...I forgot to do it!

When we travel it's with an entourage....we have a service dog and sometimes my DH uses his wheelchair and then there's me.....we take up, at least 1/4 of the elevator and we are invariably stepping on someone's toes.....You should see the looks we get....sometimes, I just avoid other people's faces and their glares and stares!!! :(

I like to strike-up conversations with strangers...but, some people are just not receptive to my group!:confused:

What to do??????

A few years ago there was a youtube video of a service dog on one of the Disney ships. Now this was a puppy in training, but it was still priceless!! The trainer has the dog in the atruim and Pluto enters the room. This dog goes NUTS! But Pluto makes it so much worse. He gets down on his all fours and is bouncing around like a real dog and this puppy truly doesn't know any better. I tried to find it before making my post, I'm either not putting in the right search or it's no longer there.

The number of people who have no respect for the handicapp is shocking. Last year I was in a back brace for several months, once released off of bed rest (22 weeks of it) I booked a cruise while still in the back brace. I still get mad all over when I think of one AW. He refused to give his seats up in the handicapp section of the movie theater to an older couple who were both on canes, because he had got there first and didn't want to lose his leg room The couple went and got a crew member but the crew member wouldn't enforce the moving of this perfectly healthy man and his son. I offered the couple our seats, but not before I got to tell the man off. :mad:

Sure people stare at me when I take the elevator up one flight of stairs. At the muster drill on my last crew, I even had a crew member to demand that I move futher down and leave room for those who truly need the seats closer to the door. To which I replied back asking her if she would like to see the scars on my back from spinal fusion? I would love to be able to walk down those flight of stairs!

I have never meet a stranger and will speak to anyone. On the Constellation last month, I did a treasure hunt with the activites staff. I had to find a wig and a turkey. I finally ended up drawing the turkey (even though one lady offered up her husband) and never did find a wig. But for the rest of the cruise people were coming up asking me if I had found all of my items.

I do have an elevator story on a different cruise. As usual is was crowed to the max with people, when all of a sudden this oder came out of no where. Well people started looking at each other and covering their nose. You could tell people were trying so hard not to laugh. Finally I just asked ok, who crapped? That was it! Everyone busted out laughing. Nobody admitted to being the villian, but we all had a good laugh over it.

Let's remember that the title of this thread is 'Do You Enjoy Hallway Banter'.:D

Not everyone does, not everyone is outgoing, and not everyone is comfortable speaking in hallways or elevators.

That sure does not make them rude on my book...but I have to say, if I got into an elevator and physically stepped on people's feet or bumped them...I'm sure I'd indicate and apology for being clumsy. Elevators hold way more than three including gear.;)

Lois R - I was hoping you would remember!!!!

Well, it is AGES till Katy and I go on our NZ cruise, so I will have to hope that more CCers can give that great line from the start of this thread! I will try to remember when I go on the cruise.... but it will be a while!

Happy New Year everyone!

MArk

Lois R - I was hoping you would remember!!!!

Well, it is AGES till Katy and I go on our NZ cruise, so I will have to hope that more CCers can give that great line from the start of this thread! I will try to remember when I go on the cruise.... but it will be a while!

Happy New Year everyone!

MArk

Hi Mark, Happy New Year to you and Katy:) I sail in March

so I will try to remember this time;) :D

I have a daughter I travel with who is mentally retarded. (I hate labels.)

It used to upset me when I would here the word "retard" used to describe someone making a blunder or something just not quite right. Once I learned to lighten up, it was much easier on me. They never intended that to be a putdown. That being said, I have to admit to being one of those "sick" people smiling at the midget comment. It was funny in the intent. I never took it as anything but, and if anything, more against all the others on the elevator:eek: . Please don't stop using that.

Now, back to my daughter. She is very high functioning and can go about on her own. She enjoys lunch in the dining room and I enjoy the spa lunch at the buffet area. We both go our own way there. On one cruise I remember walking the halls and getting on elevators with her and there seemed to always be someone greeting her by name. "How do you know them" I asked. Well, she made new friends each day by open seating and dining with new folks. She had more new "friends" on that cruise than any of us. Go figure. So I say, don't miss an opportunity to make a new "friend".

Right Lois?

Cathy

Cathy, so true about being friendly and having so many friends! As a teacher (and I have taught students with disabilities) they are always so friendly and a joy to talk to! Plus - they tend to have EXCELLENT memories about everything you say, and great with names! I have been put to shame with remembering names too many times by these wonderful students!

Lois R Happy new year to you! I think if I ever meet anyone from here I will be hugging AND saying hi! I feel as though so many people here are friends already.

I am really sad that on our next cruise Katy and I are the only ones listed for a CC party on the roll-call!:( Even though so many at the same time have heaps already...... I am starting the think that we will be the only CCers onboard! So sad!

Mark.

One of our favorite things about cruises is the people we've met on board. We've never had any other type of vacation where people seemed so open and friendly as cruising.

We mostly enjoy banter at the dining areas, any of them, or the martini bar or other lounges or at times appropriate with our neighbors or other cruise friends we meet on board. Occasionally the hallway banter comes at a bad time (when we're in a hurry to get some place) but at times it is as welcome as conversations in the other settings I've mentioned.

Lsimon - you changed your photo!

The last cruise DW and I went on, we were in an inside cabin, and so we found ourselves late everywhere! There was no natural light, and so would always sleep in..also, we were at the far end of the deck, so we found there were not many times for us to engage in "hallway banter" but plenty of "buffet banter" and "bar banter!" :)

Archived