Do you enjoy hallway banter?

Aussie Cruisers

I love to talk and chat with everyone, I can tell that some of you think I am nuts, in fact, my DH thinks I am nuts. He swears I will be dead and buried and find someone to talk to - I HOPE SO!

But really, it is fun to go on cruises and meet you lovely, friendly people. It is easy to tell when folks do not want to chat, you look at me like I am a nut and turn your back - I get it - I turn around and try to find someone like myself that likes to make new friends!

I will be cruising in just over 2 short months I hope to meet some of you!

You can ALL talk to me anytime!!!:D

Bob - I LOVE elevator meetings! I have never understood why a group of strangers get in to a small box and, in unison, stare at the numbers above the door. You're already invading each others personal space, you might as well laugh since your all in the same "boat". I'll be waiting for someone to say it now - then I can surprise you and Say, "Hi, Bob"!:D

Of course I'm waiting for ALL of you and the rest of my CC friends. Since no one has mentioned that they're on the same cruise as my family and I, I can only assume you're all avoiding me.... It's because I talk too much, isn't it?;):D

Happy cruising!:p

Denise

Denise,:) so it would be ok if I came up to your beautiful

PH, knocked on your door and said hello?:D :) I would

love to see how the other 1/2 cruises;) just teasing you.

Remember I am sailing in an inside;)

Denise,:) so it would be ok if I came up to your beautiful

PH, knocked on your door and said hello?:D :) I would

love to see how the other 1/2 cruises;) just teasing you.

Remember I am sailing in an inside;)

Lois - You're welcome wherever I am ANYTIME!!!:) Friends ALWAYS are!

Denise

FC: Maybe I'm being too sensitive to your "banter" but I found your comments to be hurtful and unecassary....."Discovery Channel?" What do you mean?....And, what's wrong with learning something new?

There's no "high ranking" or "visibles" or "competition" done on purpose!!!!!! I find these descriptions insulting!!!!!

Sorry, if I'm taking this way too personally, it just hits "home" when life causes you to be more "out there" than most and unkind words are used to describe what you may look like!

If I'm wrong on all of the above, please let me know!!!!!!!!:confused:

Oh.....it seems this might have turned in a discovery channel of sorts....

We cruise and are friendly to those we meet in a hallway,elevator or any other common venue while on board.

We (DH & I) do not limit friendliness to those with dogs or cats or other invisibles or visbles on board, nor do we limit our friendliness to those on scooters either/..for example. We just say like to say hello to all kinds of drunks, male wife purse holders, kid handlers or dress failures, and the like....

If some want a higher ranking of attention to being good enough to some higher power, then I can't comment or participate in a compete.

The OP asked do I enjoy Hallway Banter. My short answer was YES!:)

Finely Cruising - I have to say - I didn't really 'get' most of your comments either. I'm sure you never meant to insult anyone,:o but I can see why Roz is upset.

You have lots more posting experience than I - I only have a couple of hundred posts and you have thousands - but, may I suggest the ample use of "smilies" in your posts would show other posters you wish to be taken with humor.:p Otherwise, it is the nature of this toneless/expressionless medium to hurt and insult others.:( I KNOW you only intended to be funny - my DH is a wife purse holder, poor guy;) - but your good intentions seem to gotten lost in translation.

This has been a wonderfully fun thread - I hope it stays that way! I also hope I have not caused offense - I apologize if I've overstepped and hurt anyones feelings.:)

Happy cruising!

Denise

Cat: No feelings hurt, by you!

As you mentioned, maybe I just got the wrong impression by the wrong inflection! ;) I hope so!

You're right, this was a great thread to respond to....maybe I was too strong or too forthcoming in what I said......

Who knows?......I'm ready to move on....No matter how "highly ranked" I may or may not be! :o :cool:

Heres the story...post counts have nothing to do with anything.

People are the story. I live in a bubble. I cruise to have fun. I an so in a fun mode when I cruise.

I dont care what anyone looks like, what they act like or who they think they are.

I am always me. I say hello, I make jokes in an elevator and I have a good time being friendly without limits when on board.

If you do not, that's too bad, I paid my fare and plan form the moment I put a deposit down to have a good time, that's my agenda, if you decide you want to be unfriendly and be all by you or with a specific group then fine with me, I am going to have a good time no matter who is on the ship and I have already qualifed that with labeled examples of hardship deterrets identifed and provided by those who posted on this thread.

I have no intention to hurt anyones feelings. My intention is to get on board and have a good time and exchange social graces in a hallway or a crowded elevator no matter who you are or what physical condition you are in.

Period.

Some of you do not share the on board joy philosophy. I get that, so bottom line is, I won't let you or any misery of your rain on my parade attitude prevail and ruin my good time.

Sounds harsh I know, but that's may plan to keep out the negative, and it works, I have a great experience every time I cruise.

And I always say hello. :)

Everyone, I want to say thanks for contributing and I have enjoyed this thread so much, and I know that we are all friends here! :)

I just saw the new Solstice ship and DW is salivating.... I need to blot the carpet. Unfortunately - for us (but great news for you guys in the U S of A) is that it is operating out of the Caribbean. :( If only it would move to the west coast it would save airfare money to get on it!!!! I will live in hope!

I can't wait for the banter on the Solstice....

"So Bob, how are your hues in your room?" asked Jim.

"I am so glad you asked Bob. I am feeling very intouch with my feminine side," replied Jim. "I just love the fabrics they used."

They both smiled as they thought about their personal reading lamps. Meanwhile, their wives were off trying the different heights of the furniture, boasting how women do know more than men when it comes to design.

I can't wait.... for the new Solstice Banter! :p

Dear Mark:

You're my kind of person. I'm the person who gets on an elevator last, turns toward the rest of the people and ask, "I bet you're all wondering why I called this meeting." It breaks them up every time, and I've met and conversed with a lot of people that way. The last time, aboard Infinity last March, I did that three times. People never know what to do on an elevator, and laughing at me is better than just looking up at the numbers as they light up.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Do you have that copyrighted? I just might try it myself if I get up the guts. Very funny.

First....I am a Brit. Ahah....I hear you say.....reserved , unsmiling , not friendly....keep out of her space.

The next thing you need to know is that I am also Welsh, and from the South Wales Valleys. Here everyone knows everyone else, everyone smiles , and everyone speaks. Here if you stand for 10 mins. , with a total stranger , at a bus stop , you learn what they had for dinner, what their daughter did last night, what the doctor told their husband last week...you get the picture. Our hobby is talking .

Why am I on this thread ? To share with you my theory.... It is my belief that all you self confessed chatterboxes, smilers and talkers, who's predecessors have spread throughout the world all have one thing in common.....someone back in your ancestry must have once lived near mine !! :D

Incidentally....to all of you who wished to sail with Bobbyleduck at some time...luckily we are..on the transatlantic trip he mentioned. We have a very good roll call going, and I can not wait to be in the lift with him !!

Howdy:) (I do that a lot on cruises).

The short answer is YES I enjoy hallway, elevator, dining room, banter.

We are like FC in that we go on cruises to have fun and really enjoy interacting with fellow passengers. I have fun every cruise, and so do those around me. That includes fellow passengers, wait staff, cabin attendant, etc. For example, our dining table is the one where everyone is laughing. If yours is one of those where all you hear is the silverware clinking, then I feel sorry for you.

I would consider it rude to pass someone in the hall etc and not say hi. When my friendliness is not acknowledged, I think to myself (well, sometimes out loud) "kick a hog in the butt and you at least get a grunt out of it.":D . I am a retired vocational rehabilitation counselor, and make an extra effort to befriend those with obvious disabilities, as often they are excluded.

I feel sad for those who go through a whole cruise (or life) with a grumpy attitude or expression or put on an uppity unapproachable air.

I happen to know FC personally-we met on a cruise many years ago and have been good friends ever since. I would love to be on a ship with everyone just like her:) . I read her so called controversial comments and all I understood her to say was that she tries to be friendly to everyone regardless of their appearance or manner. She is a wonderful person and certainly doesn't need me to come to her defense, but I can't sit idly and let people attack her simply because they misinterpret her remarks or she didn't put a smilie somewhere. Read the body of her posts on this thread-she is obviously a good gal.

We need to cut each other some slack on these boards instead of looking for slights or pouncing on a poor choice of wording.

I love the elevator quip about calling the meeting:D . I also joke on the lifts. I often say something like "Is this a local?" Or, if someone is wanting to go in the other direction, maybe, "better hop on now-it's hard to get a cab this time of day." I always get a chuckle when I suggest they replace the floor numbers with options such as "food."

Having said all that, I also recognize that there may be folks on the cruise who have legitimate reasons for not being in a fun mood. Perhaps they just lost a spouse or found they have a serious illness, etc. etc. It is easy to guage a person's receptiveness to banter. I try to be respectful to those who may be having a bad day or time, and at least greet them with a smile and kind word.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

:) Living in London, it is not 'done' to even make eye contact with anyone on the tube (underground), let alone start up a conversation. BUT, occasionally a visitor might ask a question or say 'good morning' and that does make people respond and even smile! When out of London, visiting my small home town, and especially when hiking anywhere, people always speak to each other. No waving in the car though.

BUT, when on a cruise, talking to people, over the balcony, in the hallway, in the lift (elevator) or anywhere, is something we really enjoy - it's a part of the holiday! We love it.

FC... You don't always make sense and I often find myself saying, "Huh? What does that mean??"

Example:

"If you do not, that's too bad, I paid my fare and plan form the moment I put a deposit down to have a good time, that's my agenda, if you decide you want to be unfriendly and be all by you or with a specific group then fine with me, I am going to have a good time no matter who is on the ship and I have already qualifed that with labeled examples of hardship deterrets identifed and provided by those who posted on this thread."

I suspect that is why Wizard had a poor reaction to your post. I didn't get it, either, and thought the same thing she did. I think it's obvious now that you didn't mean any disrespect to Wiz or anyone else. It wasn't obvious before, though. And, Bob, although she may not need you to defend her, your post was very helpful.

The lesson here? If you don't understand what someone wrote or meant, ignore it or ask. ;) You know what they say about the word assume.

MECruzr

First....I am a Brit. Ahah....I hear you say.....reserved , unsmiling , not friendly....keep out of her space.

The next thing you need to know is that I am also Welsh, and from the South Wales Valleys. Here everyone knows everyone else, everyone smiles , and everyone speaks. Here if you stand for 10 mins. , with a total stranger , at a bus stop , you learn what they had for dinner, what their daughter did last night, what the doctor told their husband last week...you get the picture. Our hobby is talking .

Why am I on this thread ? To share with you my theory.... It is my belief that all you self confessed chatterboxes, smilers and talkers, who's predecessors have spread throughout the world all have one thing in common.....someone back in your ancestry must have once lived near mine !! :D

Incidentally....to all of you who wished to sail with Bobbyleduck at some time...luckily we are..on the transatlantic trip he mentioned. We have a very good roll call going, and I can not wait to be in the lift with him !!

:D:D:D I can't argue with your theory...I'm part Welsh!

I don't think of the British as purely reserved and unsmiling - except the Royal family - I've seen Benny Hill!:D

Happy cruising!

Denise

WVUfan - I'm very, VERY sorry if anyone, particularly FC, felt attacked by my post.:( I thought I said that I knew FC had meant NO OFFENSE to Roz and had only meant to be fun and friendly. I also meant only to be friendly. I'm truly sorry if my writing skills are so lacking that I accidentally "attacked" FC. I have NEVER intentionally attacked anyone on any board, and would never intentionally hurt anyones feelings. So you don't misunderstand me, I DO NOT mean this as an attack on you either - I'm apologizing for offending you, FC, and everyone else on the planet (WOW! And it's only 8:44 in the AM!:o). Let me also say that I hope Roz's hurt feelings have eased.

Again, sorry for my failings. I guess I owe drinks all around!:rolleyes:

Happy cruising!:)

Denise

Denise, Bob was not attacking you:eek: I have met him and his

lovely bride Phyllis...(see their signature)...I think he was pointing

out FC was not intending to hurt anyone.

But truely, I don't think he was pointing his finger at you.

I believe the internent is a wonderful medium but tone can

be very funky and "hard to read".

My DH is one of the friendliest people on Earth; he never knew a stranger! I'm not quite as outgoing as he is, but I enjoy talking to people too. That said, we've been met with mostly friendliness from others on cruises (at least a "good morning" or a "hello" in response to our greeting). On the rare occasion that we get no response at all, one of us will invariably turn to the other and whisper: "the tragically hip are excused".:o

Denise, Bob was not attacking you:eek: I have met him and his

lovely bride Phyllis...(see their signature)...I think he was pointing

out FC was not intending to hurt anyone.

But truely, I don't think he was pointing his finger at you.

I believe the internent is a wonderful medium but tone can

be very funky and "hard to read".

Dearest Lois - I didn't feel attacked at all by WVUfan's post on this thread (I've often laughed at his GREAT sense of humor:)). I was concerned that I hurt someones feelings or that something I had written felt like an attack.:( I also said (in my original post) that I KNEW FC would never intend to hurt anyone - I've read many of FC's posts, you can't ask for a nicer, friendlier poster - but Roz's feeling were hurt. You know I love this board and want only to be friendly. I meant....help me out here. I don't want ANYONE to EVER feel hurt on these boards, BUT it's particularly important to me that I never treat anyone with disrespect or unkindness.:o

You guys laugh with, (and at;)) me. The posters on this board allow me to laugh when my heart is broken. You get me through awful times in my life without ever realizing what you've done or how wonderful you are. I consider the people on here friends. I would never voluntarily hurt any of you nor would I stand back and allow any of you to be hurt. Now I'm crying like a blubbering idiot!:rolleyes:

That being said, I've also read the "Let the Games Begin" thread (CONGRATS on the payoff!!!). Lois, I'm sure you understand why I mention that.

At any rate, as anyone reading this post can tell, I'm an overly friendly, Chatty Cathy. I hope you'll all say hello when you see me on a cruise (you'll recognize me by all the cat fur covering my clothes), I PROMISE I'll respond in kind.

Happy cruising!

Denise

Two cruise chat stories (both absolutely true). One cruise we were leaving from Tampa, stayed overnight the night before. We were traveling with another couple. The other wife kept running into a stranger couple, everywhere in the hotel, joked and chatted with them "we have to stop meeting like this" sort of thing.

Another time we arrived the night before our cruise into FLL. The bags were not coming. And not coming. And not coming. Everyone was angry, and my husband struck up a conversation with a guy at baggage claim, both bemoaning their fate.

In BOTH instances, those people the next day turned out to be our dinner tablemates!

So be careful what strangers you grumble at :)

Archived