Taxis-- Know the Fare Before You Go

Arubalisa

http://taxiaruba.com/new/farelist.html Please print this list and take with you or know the price you will be expected to pay when hiring a taxi in Aruba. Most all of the drivers are knowledgable and courteous. HOWEVER, like with everything and everyone else, there are a few "bad apples". Today I spoke with yet one more person who was overcharged by an Aruba taxi driver who "made up" the fare. All fares are set by the Aruba Government and are a set fee. Agree to the fare before you step into the taxi and make sure it is in line with the fares listed at the link above.

There is a surcharge on Sundays and holidays and after midnight detailed at http://taxiaruba.com/new/policy.html

• 8 months later...

I continue to read on various forums that taxi drivers in Aruba are not always charging the fare that they should. Again, please know the fare before you go and agree upon that fare with the driver before entering the taxi. Rates are set by the government and the taxi drivers are "supposed" to be following these regulations but seem to be trying to tack on additonal dollars to make up for their high fuel costs and taxes.

• 1 month later...

I feel like I must reiterate that tourists in Aruba MUST know beforehand what fares they should be charged BEFORE stepping foot in a taxi on the island. Below are the details of our experiences with taxis during our recent 13 day land vacation in Aruba. Unfortunately, for the most part, the experience was far from pleasant.

"We usually use the same taxi driver, Bully (taxi 79), throughout our entire trip. During our stay in Aruba he was off island on vacation with his family. He is honest, dependable and knowledgeable about the island. We have been using him for over two years now. This trip without Bully, our experiences with the 8 random taxi drivers we used, were, with the exception of 2 drivers, disgraceful to the Aruban people and very disheartening for us. In every instance but two, the drivers tried to overcharge us. With no increase in fares since 2002, paying tax and not being able to pass it on, and the high price of gas, we were faced with a large percentage of drivers with the attitude "let's screw the tourists". Not to say that there are not other honest taxi drivers, but we met 6 out of 8 who were NOT.

Loving Aruba and her people as much as we do, we were very saddened by their behavior to say the least. Having traveled to Aruba before, at least we know some of their unjustified, in my opinion, reasoning in this situation. I cannot imagine a first time visitor to the island who knows what the fares are "supposed" to be, being charged whatever fare the driver makes up. The Aruban government sets the taxi fares; they need to give these drivers a raise. Hopefully the raise in fares will once again make the drivers honest. Again, to their credit, we did have two very nice and honest drivers, one a woman on Father's Day night and another nice gentleman the night we went to the Promenade.

Our worst "taxi" incident came outside the Holiday Inn returning back to the Tamarijn from Palm Beach following our day aboard the Jolly Pirates. We walked outside of the lobby at the Holiday Inn and there were 4 taxi drivers seated on benches hanging out. Since our friends were with us we were 7 people total and needed 2 taxis anyway, so this was perfect. Dh asked them what the fare was to the Tamarijn and they eyed up one another and one of the drivers said "$10". Knowing what we were up against, before we even left the Tamarijn in the morning, dh confirmed with our favorite concierge Iris that the fair should be $8.

Dh politely but forcefully asked to see their fare sheet where it showed the fare was $10. Well don't you know all of a sudden they acted like they could even barely understand English. Dh did not back down and again asked to see it in writing. Finally one of the drivers got up and went to his taxi to get the fare sheet. He came back with it, but then walked away from us to be by himself to eye up the chart. He then came over to us saying indeed it was $10, still not showing us the chart. Dh told all 4 drivers point blank that we would pay the $10, since obviously we had no choice, but we were also going to take the taxi's numbers and report the drivers to the Aruba Tourism Authority.

Well gosh, don't you know, all of a sudden the taxi driver who had the sheet in his hand, stumbles over to me and points to Oranjestad ($10). Yeah, right, we told them all right from the start that we were all going to the Tamarijn! They do not even come close to sounding alike and I have only been to Oranjestad twice in the past 5 years. SO, clarifying that we were going to the Tamarijn, I showed the driver it was $8. Normally we would have paid him the $8 for the fare and a $2 tip for a total of $10 anyway. Needless to say, we did not tip him and he only got his $8 so he lost out for his foolish behavior. Our friends also did not tip their driver and would have under better circumstances."

Taxi drivers are "supposed" to carry fare sheets with them in their taxis. Before you get into a taxi, please do yourself a favor and ask the driver what the fare will be. Educate yourself beforehand and if you disagree upon the fare, ask to see the fare sheet or move along to the next taxi. There are a LOT of taxis on the island.

http://taxiaruba.com/new/farelist.html

http://taxiaruba.com/new/policy.html

• 3 months later...

Hi Arubalisa and thank you for all of your assistance to us on these boards! On the link to the taxi fares I don't see the cruise port? Did I miss it or is there something close that I can use as a marker to start my fare to high-rise hotels/Jolly Pirates? I saw in another post that fares had just increased; I thought I'd print this just before departure. Thanks, Laurie

For taxi fares from the cruise terminal use Oranjestad. The fares at one time were posted on a large sign at the exit of the terminal. Not sure if they are still there.

We had a good many problems with being overcharged this past June while in Aruba. Fares have not increased in a good number of years. In that they are approved by the government, new fares have been submitted, but not yet approved.

From our experience last summer, the only advice I can give is to agree upon the fare before getting into the taxi.

• 9 months later...
Taxi fares increase tomorrow September 1.

Oranjestad to Eagle Beach $10

Oranjestad to Palm Beach $11

Taxi tour by the hour $45

All fares are NOT per person, but by fare. Addtional $3 charge on Sundays and holidays.

Hi Lisa,

Terry from Nashville here. Based upon your recommendation, we made reservations at Passions for a sunset dinner in January 2010. I clicked on the above link and noticed that the fares are Airport/Hotels info. Is there a link for fares from the cruise port in Oranjestad? I also tried clicking on the original link you provided as the OP, but all I get there are ads.

Thanks for the ongoing Aruba info and for your help!

tt

From the cruise terminal in Oranjestad to Passions it is "O'stad" to "Passion to Tulip" or "Eagle Hotels" which is $10 each way.

http://www.arubabound.com/transp/taxi_fares.htm

It is also an addtional $3 each way on a Sunday or holiday.

http://www.arubabound.com/transp/taxi_faresb.htm

Fares to places of interest are from "O'stad" at

http://www.arubabound.com/transp/taxi_faresa.htm

• 3 weeks later...

Arubalisa, I have a question for you. We will be docked from 8am-5pm. We have already booked with Strea for the day which will be leaving at 9:30am. Friends of mine who have been to Aruba and LOVED it, want me to go to Bucuti Resort to stand in front of the webcam between 9 and 9:15am.

My question is, can we make it there and back using a cab? From your chart, I think the fare should be about $10 each way, but do you think the cabbie will wait a few minutes for us to get to the webcam, do our wave, get back in the cab and make it back to the dock by 9:15?

Is this even worth doing?

Thanks for your advice!

Do you know what the taxi fare would be from the cruise fare to Eagle Beach? Thanks.................

Depending upon where on Eagle Beach it will be between $9-$10.

Arubalisa, I have a question for you. We will be docked from 8am-5pm. We have already booked with Strea for the day which will be leaving at 9:30am. Friends of mine who have been to Aruba and LOVED it, want me to go to Bucuti Resort to stand in front of the webcam between 9 and 9:15am.

My question is, can we make it there and back using a cab? From your chart, I think the fare should be about $10 each way, but do you think the cabbie will wait a few minutes for us to get to the webcam, do our wave, get back in the cab and make it back to the dock by 9:15?

Is this even worth doing?

Thanks for your advice!

Taxi fare should be $9 each way.

Does the Strea depart from the Marina which is adjacent to the cruise terminal? If so, then time wise it is doable.

Now whether or not it is worth it, for $18, that is your decision.

As to the driver waiting for you, the government allows a charge of $3 for every 5 minutes. I would discuss this issue with the driver before you get into the taxi at the cruise terminal. Hopefully you would get lucky that someone would not mind waiting and let it slide. BUT not always, better safe than sorry in my book.

Just wanted to add that taxi fares are an additional $3 each way on Sunday and holidays.

Private tours via taxi are now $45 per hour.

Taxi fares are per trip, NOT per person and allow, by law a maximum of 5 persons, regardless the size of the vehicle.

Many taxis drivers in Aruba now drive SUV's and Vans.

Edited by Arubalisa
addtl info

Depending upon where on Eagle Beach it will be between $9-$10.

Taxi fare should be $9 each way.

Does the Strea depart from the Marina which is adjacent to the cruise terminal? If so, then time wise it is doable.

Now whether or not it is worth it, for $18, that is your decision.

Just wanted to add that taxi fares are an additional $3 each way on Sunday and holidays.

Private tours via taxi are now $45 per hour.

Taxi fares are per trip, NOT per person and allow, by law a maximum of 5 persons, regardless the size of the vehicle.

Many taxis drivers in Aruba now drive SUV's and Vans.

The Strea does depart from the marina by the cruise ships. Thanks so much for the info on the taxis. That is very useful information. I can't wait to experience Aruba.

Taxi fares increase tomorrow September 1.

Oranjestad to Eagle Beach $10

Oranjestad to Palm Beach $11

Taxi tour by the hour $45

All fares are NOT per person, but by fare. Addtional $3 charge on Sundays and holidays.

Are the fares on this chart quoted in US Dollar or Aruban Guilder?

All of the posts seem to be using the $ sign, but the chart has no currency listed.

Yes, the Amsterdam Manor.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/tags.php?tag=aruba+amsterdam+manor

Not sure about renting floats and the only watersports available on sight I believe are jet skis.

Additional info

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/tags.php?tag=aruba+eagle+beach

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, the Amsterdam Manor.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/tags.php?tag=aruba+amsterdam+manor

Not sure about renting floats and the only watersports available on sight I believe are jet skis.

Additional info

You cannot rent floats at Amsterdam Manor - those are for guests who are staying at the hotel. There is a watersports tent at the north end of the beach near the jet skis - you can book other things there in addition to the jetski and they will shuttle you via boat over to Palm Beach.