Wine Prices too high??

Krazy Kruizers

Terrytdx, at a 5-star hotel in SF, LA, NY etc., I would expect to pay a hefty price for a drink, although we seldom do our drinking at those hotel bars even when we stay at them. As a soon-to-be HAL 1st time cruiser, we never considered HAL to be a 5-star line like Crystal, etc. etc. More like a 3-star (obviously I could be wrong not having sailed yet & am more than willing to change that opinion).

Does anyone know the price of a bar brand martini on HAL? Are the martinis good-sized or those little pea-sized things?

Does anyone see a correlation between the mark-up on wine and:

-the price being charged for the majority of cabins, inside/outside, compared to the prices 10-15 years ago?

-that our cabins are substantially better appointed than they have ever been?

-that we have more choice in cabin than we have ever had?

-the cost of fuel and the absence of a fuel surcharge?

-the enviornment/ambiance/view of where the wine may be consumed? The Crows Nest, for example, is unique to HAL. This space could have been used for premium sky suites.

-the purchase of wine is discretionary? We can bring on cases of our own wine and hole up in our cabins and tie one on, should we so desire.

The front line in all business are charged with responsibility to meet target sale goals. Why would a cruise line be any different?

Bean counters are necessary to the survival of any business.

Perhaps Warren Buffet and Bill Gates could form a joint venture and buy HAL to operate it as a not-for-profit business for the benefit of its passengers. :rolleyes:

This is the type of issue that provoke a sigh and eye-rolling, but no drama - at least for me. I think we all understand the strategy behind the pricing. I'd be very surprised if anyone didn't realize at least the approximate mark-ups we encounter at our local eateries, restaurants in large cities (often higher), or on a ship, but we also note that the price difference onboard a ship can be substantial. From what we've observed onboard the ships and what I've read here at cruise critic, no one just fell of the turnip truck. KK asked for our opinions and some of us shared them. It's not a case of looking for a reason to complain and we aren't too dense to understand the rationale behind the costs. I don't think most of us actually dwell on HAL's wine prices, but we'll share our thoughts when asked. HAL offers other options that some of us prefer to buying by the bottle where we find the mark-up to be unreasonable. It's not a big deal. And, it's definitely not a deal-breaker when DH and I book a cruise. What exactly is the point of having a forum where people are asked to share opinions on a topic when inevitably there will be those who condemn others' responses if they are deemed critical in any way?

Does anyone see a correlation between the mark-up on wine and:

-the price being charged for the majority of cabins, inside/outside, compared to the prices 10-15 years ago?

-that our cabins are substantially better appointed than they have ever been?

-that we have more choice in cabin than we have ever had?

-the cost of fuel and the absence of a fuel surcharge?

-the enviornment/ambiance/view of where the wine may be consumed? The Crows Nest, for example, is unique to HAL. This space could have been used for premium sky suites.

-the purchase of wine is discretionary? We can bring on cases of our own wine and hole up in our cabins and tie one on, should we so desire.

The front line in all business are charged with responsibility to meet target sale goals. Why would a cruise line be any different?

Bean counters are necessary to the survival of any business.

Perhaps Warren Buffet and Bill Gates could form a joint venture and buy HAL to operate it as a not-for-profit business for the benefit of its passengers. :rolleyes:

AMEN from the voice of reason, well stated

Unfortunately the high pricing of wines and champagnes on a cruise ship or any eating establshiment that serves liquor is going to be marked up drastically. It is just a fact of life that we really cannot change so why get upset about it? Fortunately with several of the cruise lines they do in fact allow us to bring on our own bottle and even with paying a corkage fee you come out way ahead. I admit we have done this several times ourselves including on our most recent cruise. Our tastes in champagnes and wines have changed over the last few years where at one time we preferred the sweeter, now we tend to like it not as sweet. One of our favorites is Veuve Cliquot which is quite pricey anywhere including the grocery store but the winery that makes Veuve also makes a Private label champagne for Traders Joes that tastes almost identical ( actually a bit better;) ) the bottle almost looks identical. The price for this is $8.99, it was no problem to bring on board a few bottles. I would venture to say that there is no other establishments other than a cruise ship that allows you to do this. So for this I thank Holland America for allowing to do this.

Life is just too short to keep looking for things to complain about. If our complaining would make a difference maybe but in this case it definitely will not, just like the Olive Garden is not going to change the price of their wine they probably only pay 10 cents on the dollar for.

Lisa: Wonder how much HAL would charge for a bottle of 2 buck chuck Cabernet?

Robb

We did a TA and Agean cruise B2B this spring for 27 days. We ordered two cases of our favorite wines from Total Wine in Tampa, picked it up on the way to our hotel, and strapped it to a luggage carrier and rolled it thru check in. We would drink some in our rooms, but usually took a bottle to dinner. Had we paid $15 corkage each night, we would have saved about $10 per bottle. Our wine stewards charged us corkage for every other bottle. They would always save and recork if we didn't finish a bottle.

We saved some bucks for a small amount of aggravation, and our wine stewards received a generous tip at the end of each cruise. I know that this is not for everyone, but were happy to put our savings into extra shore excursions. I believe we saved about $450 total for the two cruises.

What exactly is the point of having a forum where people are asked to share opinions on a topic when inevitably there will be those who condemn others' responses if they are deemed critical in any way?

Good question.

May I assume your intent was not to condemn my response, even though it expressed an opinion different than most?

We did a TA and Agean cruise B2B this spring for 27 days. We ordered two cases of our favorite wines from Total Wine in Tampa, picked it up on the way to our hotel, and strapped it to a luggage carrier and rolled it thru check in. We would drink some in our rooms, but usually took a bottle to dinner. Had we paid $15 corkage each night, we would have saved about $10 per bottle. Our wine stewards charged us corkage for every other bottle. They would always save and recork if we didn't finish a bottle.

We saved some bucks for a small amount of aggravation, and our wine stewards received a generous tip at the end of each cruise. I know that this is not for everyone, but were happy to put our savings into extra shore excursions. I believe we saved about $450 total for the two cruises.

I agree with your post. On a cruise we purchase a bottle of wine each night so any extra cost adds up. I would not mind paying X2.5 each night. But when you see that some of the wines are X3 and X4 plus gratuity then that adds up too much for us.

I think HAL has a nice solution with the corkage fee. They get their profit and don't have to stock and transport that wine that we bring on board.

If they charged X2.5 they would probably about the same profit as the corkage fee. I think that's why they (and most businesses pick a little higher than X2.5). They'll get you to pay for convenience.

In summary if we go out to eat once a week, X3 is acceptable. But if we dine out nightly, it's out of our comfort zone. So yes I think the wines are marked up too much, but I do think HAL has two acceptable work arounds - the wine card and carryon wine. I won't complain until there is no workaround available.

Cheers!

I find the wine prices a little too high. I realize that the cruise line is in business to make a profit, but there is a line between making a fair profit and price gouging.

In HAL's defense, I appreciate that they allow guests, who so choose, to bring their own wine on board.

Two things hurt.

In the first place I come from wine country in British Columba, where the price of the average bottle of wine is high, but not nearly as bad as the prices on any cruise line.

However, worse yet while two glasses of wine at dinner may cost about $15.00, the cost of a bottle of whiskey may often be purchased in the duty free shop on any ship, at well below this price.

john

Liquor purchased onboard may not be takento your cabin but must be picked up (or delivered to your room) the night before you leave.

This is what I am talking about - people bringing on one and two cases of wine just so they don't have to pay HAL's prices. And I am so tired of hearing people who pay only a one time $15 corkage fee because the wine stewards exempt them. HAL you are losing kmoney here!!!

HAL - take a look here -- ban bringing on wine and champagne and lower your prices!! You will have a lot more sales of bottles of wine!!

KK,

I for one do not think it is remotely possible that HAL will do what you request. If enough folks ask for what you are saying, HAL will probably stop the carry on wine and raise the on board prices.

I think it is totally illogical to think that they would EVER get an trapped audience and not take advantage. If you want proof, look at RCI. They do not allow wine to be brought on board and they have the worst wine list of any cruise line. They have wine packages that the wines have from X4 to X8 markup. So be happy with what you have.

I'm Done.

Good question.

May I assume your intent was not to condemn my response, even though it expressed an opinion different than most?

I wrote the post last night and didn't post it until today because I was hoping the thread would die. However, while I am not condemning your response, I admit that the revenue lectures are tiring and I could see where you would take the post personally. We all have a different sense of what is fair profit and how much customers should expect. My attitude is that we do not automatically admit defeat when we encounter pricing we think is too high, especially if there is a more reasonable alternative. That's why we took wine onboard last time and why we got a wine card. If those options were not there, I'd probably just drink less wine. I've always thought it was nice to have it with dinner, but it's hardly life or death.

This is what I am talking about - people bringing on one and two cases of wine just so they don't have to pay HAL's prices. And I am so tired of hearing people who pay only a one time $15 corkage fee because the wine stewards exempt them. HAL you are losing kmoney here!!!

HAL - take a look here -- ban bringing on wine and champagne and lower your prices!! You will have a lot more sales of bottles of wine!!

I dont agree with banning it completely but they really should stop abuses like that. For example on our last trip, i brought 3 bottles, 2 were for my inlaws 25th anniversary. None of the bottles I brought are anything HAL sells otherwise I wouldn't have gone through the trouble. The Krug champagne came in a nice little wood crate that the steward kept with the bottle...not sure why as they dont sell it but it was on display later... the other two bottles of wine were from a small cellar in Rutherford that doesn't produce enough to sell to the likes of cruise ships. All were very expensive bottles but it was a special occasion and I was willing to pay to have them shipped to Seattle to be carried on. If HAL sold them, i would have just bought on the ship. For me it was about choice, not cost savings, but I agree that the abuse of the policy is a problem

I dont agree with banning it completely but they really should stop abuses like that. For example on our last trip, i brought 3 bottles, 2 were for my inlaws 25th anniversary. None of the bottles I brought are anything HAL sells otherwise I wouldn't have gone through the trouble. The Krug champagne came in a nice little wood crate that the steward kept with the bottle...not sure why as they dont sell it but it was on display later... the other two bottles of wine were from a small cellar in Rutherford that doesn't produce enough to sell to the likes of cruise ships. All were very expensive bottles but it was a special occasion and I was willing to pay to have them shipped to Seattle to be carried on. If HAL sold them, i would have just bought on the ship. For me it was about choice, not cost savings, but I agree that the abuse of the policy is a problem

The Krug Champagne is a wonderful bottle --- love it ---

Here is my question: you said you shipped your wine to Seattle.

I am sailing out of Ft.Lauderdale and would love it if I could ship it from my cellar at home to there.

How did you find out where to send it to and be assured it would make it on the ship?

Also, how did you know ahead of time that they didn't have it on the ship -- that is what I am trying to determine -- if they have my wines on the ship, I don't want to bother -- I'll just pay for it. But the ones I have in mind are pretty special.

Did someone give you a wine list before you sailed?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this!

The Krug Champagne is a wonderful bottle --- love it ---

Here is my question: you said you shipped your wine to Seattle.

I am sailing out of Ft.Lauderdale and would love it if I could ship it from my cellar at home to there.

How did you find out where to send it to and be assured it would make it on the ship?

Also, how did you know ahead of time that they didn't have it on the ship -- that is what I am trying to determine -- if they have my wines on the ship, I don't want to bother -- I'll just pay for it. But the ones I have in mind are pretty special.

Did someone give you a wine list before you sailed?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this!

You can find the winelist on here , do a search for HAL or Holland America wine list. Thats where i found it. As for the shipping part, I was staying in Seattle at the W hotel for 2 days prior to the cruise. I already had a special wine shipping box that was made for bottles. It was made of recycled cardboard, and the krug was in a fitted wooden box, so I repackaged them into another box. Then i had the shipping clerk at work send it to me 2nd day air from the office on wednesday, i left the next morning and it arrived Friday at the hotel. The front desk were told it was coming and called me as soon as it arrived and had a bellman bring it to the room.

Four things:

1. I must correct my earlier post -- HAL doesn't charge $29 a bottle for a wine that retails in Fort Lauderdale for $9, they Charge $39 a bottle.

2. Wine sales might improve if HAL took some time and trained the wine stewards. All these guys know is the price of a bottle of wine and have always recommended the highest priced bottle in a category when asked for a recommendation. If you ask for a fruity wine -- highest price. If you ask for an oaky wine -- highest price.

3. In general the wine service on HAL is very poor WRT the knowledge of the service personnel. In addition, they are spread too thinly across the dinning room to provide good service.

4. Finally, take the kitchen tour and see where the wine is stored; then order a bottle of red wine at dinner. It comes out kitchen temperature -- like 80 -85 degrees F -- way too hot.

High prices, poor service, poor handling of the wine all equate to a reduced volume of wine sales.

Have done some research on this subject.

Best was to ship anything is not to the ship. Locate the UPS store closest to the dock and then call them to coordinate them takeing delivery of boxes and holding them for you. Ship the boxes to that store via UPS. Make sure you have the time to go by the store and pick the boxes up on the way to the port.

When we fly we cannot carry all we need so we are having it sone that way.

Thewre are a couple services out there that will deliver to the ship but they are very expensive. $200.00 for a suitcase....

Good luck

Ruth & Jim

Two things hurt.

In the first place I come from wine country in British Columba, where the price of the average bottle of wine is high, but not nearly as bad as the prices on any cruise line.

However, worse yet while two glasses of wine at dinner may cost about $15.00, the cost of a bottle of whiskey may often be purchased in the duty free shop on any ship, at well below this price.

john

I agree with you re Canadian wines . Many are excellent!! - we've come a long way! Cruise prices are high!

EH? :D "about $15.........for 'whiskey' in the duty free shop on any ship"????? You do mean 'whiskey' not WHISKY I hope. Never managed to buy it at that price over the past few years.

High prices, poor service, poor handling of the wine all equate to a reduced volume of wine sales.

I agree with you from our own experiences on 7 day cruises, especially on VISTA ships.

I wonder if it has become HAL's experience that the average passenger orders by price or glass or knows more costly wines and therefore the sommelier skill has become almost obsolete.

It makes no business sense to not staff/train the function appropriately, if there is sufficient money to be made on wine sales, in the dining room.

Perhaps it is the typical cruiser who has changed as the cost of cruising, across the board, has become more affodable.

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding We Have a WINNER :D

I agree that most wine stewards arent the experts on wine I would like them to be, but as Hammy and Lisa just said I'm not sure there is an across the board need for that. Many times that I hear other passengers just ordering their wine by color "a glass of red", etc.

However, the Cellar Masters really know their stuff IMHO. We always try to develop a relationship with them early on, and have always gotten great wine service and recommendations from them.

A few other points -

I agree on the wine storage temperatures. Last year we ordered a $90 Cab in the Pinnacle Grill and it came out way too warm. Didnt feel bad about returning it, and the CM explained that a portion of their storage actually faces the hot sun :eek: . However, the replacement bottle he recommended was great and the right temperature. It was a more expensive bottle that he gave us at the same original price, plus he added a 15% discount.

To me, the wine list markups are outrageous on the inexpensive wines, but not bad on more moderate to premium wines. Most of the $30-$40 bottles on the list are <$10 in the store, but as you move up in price the markups arent nearly as high.

I agree that most wine stewards arent the experts on wine I would like them to be, but as Hammy and Lisa just said I'm not sure there is an across the board need for that. Many times that I hear other passengers just ordering their wine by color "a glass of red", etc.

However, the Cellar Masters really know their stuff IMHO. We always try to develop a relationship with them early on, and have always gotten great wine service and recommendations from them.

A few other points -

I agree on the wine storage temperatures. Last year we ordered a $90 Cab in the Pinnacle Grill and it came out way too warm. Didnt feel bad about returning it, and the CM explained that a portion of their storage actually faces the hot sun :eek: . However, the replacement bottle he recommended was great and the right temperature. It was a more expensive bottle that he gave us at the same original price, plus he added a 15% discount.

To me, the wine list markups are outrageous on the inexpensive wines, but not bad on more moderate to premium wines. Most of the $30-$40 bottles on the list are <$10 in the store, but as you move up in price the markups arent nearly as high.

Hi! After seein the current wine list I completely agree with you on the mark up on the higher priced wines -- they don't seem too out of line at all -- however, I didn't see many vintages on the list, so its really hard to tell.

I've only cruised one other time so if you could indulge me if the answer to these questions are really obvious.

You mentioned the cellar master --- so that would be the sommelier? Are there more than one on each cruise?

Are they only in the PG or also in the main dining room?

The wine storage you mentioned -- if its facing the sun (or part of it) --- do you think that makes the storage room not climate controlled - both temp and humidity?

Thank in advance for any info.

Hi WM,

I believe there is one Cellar Master per ship, who is in essence the head sommelier. He is usually in the main dining room each evening, but have seen him in the PG at at times. I happened to google HAL Cellar Master for you, and found the following interesting link to a job posting for one. It describes the responsibilities.

http://www.hcareers.com/seeker/search/view?jobAdId=56C895C66636B082

It says that he is responsible for introducing himself to VIP's, Suite Passengers, and Wine Lovers within 24 hours of sailing. The description also refers to revenue generation, but I have found the CM's I sailed with to be knowledgable and honest with their recommendations. I dont think I was ever recommended the most expensive wine.

Sorry, but I cant answer about the wine storage question. I was told that it was just a problem on one side of the Pinnacle Grill wine storage, but I'm not sure. The CM told me he was onboard 3 weeks at that point and had already asked for it to be changed, so maybe it is unique to that ship (Maasdam), or maybe it has been changed? We only had that one warm bottle, which really wasnt really horribly warm, more like room temp, but as you know room temp in the dining room isnt really "wine cellar" room temp.

The CM will also conduct a premium wine tasting once or twice on the cruise. I believe its somewhere around $20-$30. I have a review of it somewhere from my last Christmas cruise, I'll try to dig it up for you and post it here if I can find it.

Joanne

Archived