You Have Saved Me So Much Money

petesweet

How do I find out about the OBC you get from RCCL if you buy some of their stock. We are planning a cruise in Feb. 08,:) so would we have time to get this done? I have a brokerage account that I get get this purchased tomorrow but then what?:confused: Who or where can I find more about this? We just applied for and was approved for the RCCL Visa so that should help with the OBC. But again how do I get this information to RCCL?????

Help

Hi all! I'm new to the boards here (actually I've been reading them for awhile, but never felt the need to post- until today!) I've been reading with interest the posts about the OBC credits for shareholders, and have already called our broker to buy shares! My question is- can you use those credits for deposits on future cruises? My husband and I are booked on the transatlantic sailing of the Navigator in November, and are looking to book the transatlantic sailing of the Independence OTS for the following November while we are onboard. We have always booked onboard when we can to get the OBC's, but I can't remember whether the deposits are applied to our shipboard accounts or not. Does anybody know?? I'd love to find out before we go.

Thanks so much!

Hi all! I'm new to the boards here (actually I've been reading them for awhile' date=' but never felt the need to post- until today!) I've been reading with interest the posts about the OBC credits for shareholders, and have already called our broker to buy shares! My question is- can you use those credits for deposits on future cruises? My husband and I are booked on the transatlantic sailing of the Navigator in November, and are looking to book the transatlantic sailing of the Independence OTS for the following November while we are onboard. We have always booked onboard when we can to get the OBC's, but I can't remember whether the deposits are applied to our shipboard accounts or not. Does anybody know?? I'd love to find out before we go.

Thanks so much![/quote']

Believe you can. You can also have your tips put on your credit card and use this credit for that purpose. And remember, you will get the credit every time you cruise with Royal Caribbean. The amount varies with the length of the cruise.

By the way, do you have an RCI Visa card? You have time to apply (get one for yourself and one for your spouse to get double points) online and you will probably have time to get your cards, activate them with first purchase, and handle the paperwork to get an additional $300 onboard credit ($150 for each card). That's a one-time benefit. Then if you use that card for your onboard purchases and to pay for your next cruise, you will get DOUBLE points toward future onboard credit. It's a gift that keeps on giving.

Happy cruising. We leave Thursday and sail out Friday for New England on the Explorer! These boards have been SO HELPFUL to me.

Believe you can. You can also have your tips put on your credit card and use this credit for that purpose. And remember, you will get the credit every time you cruise with Royal Caribbean. The amount varies with the length of the cruise.

By the way, do you have an RCI Visa card? You have time to apply (get one for yourself and one for your spouse to get double points) online and you will probably have time to get your cards, activate them with first purchase, and handle the paperwork to get an additional $300 onboard credit ($150 for each card). That's a one-time benefit. Then if you use that card for your onboard purchases and to pay for your next cruise, you will get DOUBLE points toward future onboard credit. It's a gift that keeps on giving.

Happy cruising. We leave Thursday and sail out Friday for New England on the Explorer! These boards have been SO HELPFUL to me.

Thanks for the info! I'll be checking into the RCL VISA today! I wish I'd known all this 12 cruises ago!!!!!

Thanks for the info! I'll be checking into the RCL VISA today! I wish I'd known all this 12 cruises ago!!!!!

The only reason I learned all of this is because I've been sick and confined to home (better now, thank the Lord, since we leave Thursday) and had time to read all the wonderful things people have said.

We sail in January and final payment is due in November. If we apply now, would we have the card in time to make final payment, and what kind of obc would we receive? I'm going to go back and read some of these posts again; my questions are probably already answered. lol Thanks, j

Worth a try. All I know is that I applied for the cards last Tuesday and was immediately approved. Got the cards in the mail yesterday (Saturday). Five days isn't bad! Since I just got the cards, I don't know from there how long it takes to get your first statement and handle the paperwork to get the onboard credit, but you will definitely be able to use the cards for your final payment. Go for it!

Is there an annual fee for the RCCL cards? If so, how much is it? So if both dh and I get the cards we will both get an obc of 150 each? What is the benefit of paying the final pymt with the cards? I am also curious if any of the obc $$ could be used for a dep on a future cruise credit.

Is there an annual fee for the RCCL cards? If so, how much is it? So if both dh and I get the cards we will both get an obc of 150 each? What is the benefit of paying the final pymt with the cards? I am also curious if any of the obc $$ could be used for a dep on a future cruise credit.

1. No annual fee. (Watch that interest rate, though, if you don't pay off each month.)

2. Both of you would get 15,000 points (which means both get $150 OBC).

3. Pay final payment with your card and, my understanding is, you get double points toward future benefits. Also, anything you spend onboard will give you double points.

4. People on this board have told me that you can use this credit as a deposit on a future cruise. (You can also arrange for your tips to be prepaid and use the credit for that.)

Is there a requirement to keep the card after the cruise for a time period? We pay off our balances every month so I am not worried about the interest rate. I am interested in the obc, but I am not sure we would want to keep the card after the cruise.

I just looked at the stock quote for RCCL and it is $38 per share. So 100 shares is $3800. And for that you got $200 credit. That doesn't look like saving money. Am I only one who sees this?

You should read the thread concerning this topic; we debated the idea ad nauseum. There were even some "suggestions" given to limit the downside risk with respect to the cash you pay to acquire the shares.

My stance is that it's still prudent to ask yourself if owning the shares is a worthwhile investment first and foremost; any fringe benefits of being a shareholder are then yours to enjoy. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed my recent cruise with this company and I'm already engaged in additional research on the company. It's very likely that I'll become a shareholder in the near future.

Is there a requirement to keep the card after the cruise for a time period? We pay off our balances every month so I am not worried about the interest rate. I am interested in the obc, but I am not sure we would want to keep the card after the cruise.

Good question; I'm wondering the same. I already have way too many cards and I only use one (the others are locked up in the safe). The one I utilize is paid off every month and earns me air miles. I prefer to continue using it rather than another card, but the OBC idea is tempting.

Here's another question:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/dealsandmore/offer/visa.do

For each point level, it lists a number of bulleted items; however, it doesn't tell you whether the qualification is for a single item in the list or all items. I suspect that you have to pick a single perk, i.e., when you get 5000 points, you can choose a $50 OBC *or* an upgrade on a 3 night cruise *or* two bath robes. Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

Also, is the two bath robes just for use on the cruise or do I get to keep them? I would hope you get to "consume" them -- just as you consume the wine and strawberries.

Oh, that reminds me -- I have to sign up for the Crown and Anchor Society. :rolleyes:

Question- I already booked my cruise but final payment is not until April can I get the OBC and credit for the amount of my final payment? How does this OBC work? I read in the fine print that they exprire 180 days after issue...so do you ask for them to issue them or do they automatically issue the cert. as soon as the Visa is used once? Sorry so many questions...I'm just a bit confused.

It's a regular VISA credit card issued by Bank of America. I don't believe there is any requirement to maintain the card for a period of time, but I haven't read all the fine print.

No, RCCL does not automatically issue a reward. You have to request it from Bank of America. It takes about a week or 10 days to get the rewards certificate, then you fill out the back, choose your reward, and mail it back in. Make sure you make a copy of the front and back of each certificate before you mail it in--in case they get lost in the mail.

If it is too close to your cruise for that, just ask for the certificate numbers when you redeem your points, then call Crown and Anchor and give them those numbers. They will verify the numbers and apply your credit. Once your certificates arrive, just fill them out and mail them in.

We got the robes several years ago and they are cotton waffle weave robes. They are not meant to be disposable, but I suppose you can throw them away if you want to.

It's a regular VISA credit card issued by Bank of America. I don't believe there is any requirement to maintain the card for a period of time, but I haven't read all the fine print.

No, RCCL does not automatically issue a reward. You have to request it from Bank of America. It takes about a week or 10 days to get the rewards certificate, then you fill out the back, choose your reward, and mail it back in. Make sure you make a copy of the front and back of each certificate before you mail it in--in case they get lost in the mail.

If it is too close to your cruise for that, just ask for the certificate numbers when you redeem your points, then call Crown and Anchor and give them those numbers. They will verify the numbers and apply your credit. Once your certificates arrive, just fill them out and mail them in.

We got the robes several years ago and they are cotton waffle weave robes. They are not meant to be disposable, but I suppose you can throw them away if you want to.

Let me make sure I have this straight....DH and I apply for the RCCL card, make an initial purchase (the amount of the purchase doesnt matter), the card is now active, apply for the 150 obc through the credit card co..

How do we apply the certificate for the 150obc to our cruise acct?

Would there be any additional benefit if we pay our final pymt with the RCCL card?

• 2 weeks later...

You receive 2 points for every $1 charged on a Royal Caribbean purchase--only 1 point for every $1 for other purchases made with the VISA card.

For example, I recently organized a cruise for 10 family members. I charged all their tickets to my VISA card and received double points. I used the points from that purchase to receive an additional $250 obc.

You said, "Let me make sure I have this straight....DH and I apply for the RCCL card, make an initial purchase (the amount of the purchase doesnt matter), the card is now active, apply for the 150 obc through the credit card co.."

I've read on here that the current "gift" for opening a RCCL VISA card is 15,000 points (posted after your first purchase). If that is true, then, yes, you can get the card, make a purchase, and the points will be posted on your first VISA bill. Then you can call Bank of America and redeem your points for $150 obc.

• 3 weeks later...

Tell them you want to redeem your rewards points. They will mail you the certificates, then you fill them out and mail them to Royal Caribbean.

They have to be used within six months (I believe), so make sure you don't redeem them too early.

Tell them you want to redeem your rewards points. They will mail you the certificates, then you fill them out and mail them to Royal Caribbean.

They have to be used within six months (I believe), so make sure you don't redeem them too early.

I read on the fine print of the application page the OBC's were good for 60 months, then they start dropping off.

So these credits can be used for down payments, wine packages etc? I want to make sure before I apply, I saw the gift lists they offer for 5,000- 250,000 points. I would prefer using them for wine packages and future cruises.

How do you contact Bank Of America? Phone? Mail?

How do you contact Bank Of America? Phone? Mail?

I call them. I already had a checking account with them and just go online and the VISA card is listed right below my checking account. They have a separate number to call for BAC credit cards, just click on "contact info" and the phone numbers are listed. Easy.

I just looked at the stock quote for RCCL and it is $38 per share. So 100 shares is $3800. And for that you got $200 credit. That doesn't look like saving money. Am I only one who sees this?

Current quote is $41.35, so with 100 shares you would have been up more than $300 on just 100 shares. I bought too soon, before it completely sold off, but from the charts thought I was safe with a buy under $40....so far Im right.

Too bad you didnt see that a low pe was still a value. Forward pe at today's higher price is still forecast at 11, which is a very cheap pe, assuming they make forecast earnings.

I bought 200 shares in the upper $39s and not worried about my investment. I should have held off but my cruise was in Sept and I didnt want to wait too long, oh well.

I read on the fine print of the application page the OBC's were good for 60 months, then they start dropping off.

So these credits can be used for down payments, wine packages etc? I want to make sure before I apply, I saw the gift lists they offer for 5,000- 250,000 points. I would prefer using them for wine packages and future cruises.

Once your redeem your points, the certificate your receive is only good for about 6 months (180 days from the date of issue), then it expires, and, if you haven't used it, you lose those points.

The points can be used for specific rewards for that point amount. If you apply them to obc, they can used for anything you would normally charge to your on board account.

If you're investing money why not invest it in a company that provides a service people love and gives you money back when you use the service. I consider that being ahead. If you use it 10 times in 10 years that's $2000 back and you still have the 100 shares.

Once your redeem your points, the certificate your receive is only good for about 6 months (180 days from the date of issue), then it expires, and, if you haven't used it, you lose those points.

The points can be used for specific rewards for that point amount. If you apply them to obc, they can used for anything you would normally charge to your on board account.

You are correct, the bank will hold your point for 5 years. however when you request coupons, they expire 6 months after the issue date. Clever of them. So I sail in April, so I will wait until after the first of the year to request my coupons.

Thanks for the clearification. You have to read all the fine print and understand the difference of points and coupons for OBC.

Archived