Injections For Belize?

ScotFi

No. I've been on land and cruise vacations to Belize. You will need a passport for all Caribbena travel by that time.

If traveling by AIR, you will be required to have a passport... if on a cruise, currently you will need a passport in that time of 2008, but that could change and would suggest you monitor the new passport requirements very closely. Personally I would suggest getting that passport now rather than wait as many have found was a bad mistake when the surge of applications occured causing delays of up to 18 weeks to receive theirs !

Required, no.

Recomended, yes. They always recomend Hep A and a few others. Here is the link for Belize.

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/mamerica_carib/belize.html

Of course, that's between you and your doc. ;)

Hepatitis A shots are strongly suggested, but not required. I have traveled to Belize many times and without the shot, but will be residing there for a few months in future years and will definately get the shot then. Check with your Dr. as well though.

. . . I will know what my doctor has to say, as I won't see him till then. But yes to hepatitis A, and if you haven't had a tetanus recently that's always a good idea. No malaria in Belize City, but no guarantees outside Belize City--which is why everyone has been recommending insect repellant recently!

Required, no.

Recomended, yes. They always recomend Hep A and a few others.

My travel clinic always says that I shouldn't travel as far as the office without hep A, tetanus, typhoid and polio (now with free diphtheria thrown in). And these four will give you decent protection for most destinations without having to do any more.
I would also highly recommend eco-friendly insect spray as malaria is a problem there.
No malaria in Belize City, but no guarantees outside Belize City--which is why everyone has been recommending insect repellant recently!
Most cruise ship passengers won't need malaria prophylaxis. This is because cruise ships usually stop only during the day, and have sailed away from land by nightfall. Malaria mosquitoes generally only become active at dusk, so most cruise ship passengers are not at any significant risk. If you don't need to take an anti-malarial, it's probably a good idea not to. There are risks from malaria, but there are always also risks from drugs. So this is the firm advice from my travel clinic about this.

But bug spray is a good idea. Dengue fever mosquitoes are active during the day, and there's no propylactic medication against that.

Hi

Thanks for the advice the only reason I was asking is my husband is terrified of needles. He has always said anywhere that requires injections he won't travel to. He is threatening t ostay on the ship while in Belize. My sister in-law is a native of Belize my brother and her travel there often, they did not think we would require anything more than a good insect repelent. Will enquire from my own doctor thanks again.

Scotfi

I agree, you probably don't need anything special for a one-day cruise stop. I doubt if many cruise passengers do. Insect repellent is a good precaution, though we didn't see any last December. Malaria medication is also kind of a pain as you have to start taking it before the trip and continue on after for several days.

I do think Hep shots are something everyone should get, even for staying at home. We did the whole bazooka of shots for a recent trip to Africa and it does give some peace of mind to know that we are well covered for quite some time.

Of course, I'm not your doctor and you have to make the call on what he recommends.

Hi

Have just had contact from my Doctor who informs me we require. Diptheria, Tetanus, Polio, Hep A and Typhoid. This is because we have not had some of these injections and others were done in childhood. Funny not a mention of Malaria treatment. I can definately see hubby staying on the boat.

Scotfi

Archived