how acceptable are jeans?

loobylouuk

research your ship properly before you book.

At the risk of serious thread drift, I suspect that the TV and Teletext etc are partly to blame. Superb offers from irresistable prices to exotic destinations are flashed up and you have precious little time for research.

Only as you become more seasoned do you learn the booking ropes. One our next cruise we booked on a Sunday and worked with the TA as we browsed both their website and the P&O website to find and discuss cabins and options.

If you don't know the question to ask then you just may book the wrong cruise.

Back on the thread, I consider jeans a wholly inappropriate in a maritime environment. As someone commented, they can be far too hot in the Med or Caribbean. They are heavy so unless you are wearing them in flight they will eat into your allowances. In my experience they also absorb water and are slow to dry out.

In my opinion technical trousers are a better option for excursions. They have a good sun protection factor, they dry extremely quickly, they are generally looser and cooler and most importantly they have plenty of secure pockets.

Secure pockets is one thing that jeans have in common - none have secure pockets.

acceptable to who? :rolleyes:

Evening time... other cruisers will tut tut as you walk past....

P&O dont yet have fashion police on board....however

the resturant manager has a 'right' to refuse entry if you are not in proper dress.... So its up to you...

Country and Western night if you are joining in with the line dancing then they look ok.

Day time jeans are fine but if its hot... you may find you wouldnt want to wear them anyway..

enjoy your cruise...

I suspect that the TV and Teletext etc are partly to blame. Superb offers from irresistable prices to exotic destinations are flashed up and you have precious little time for research.

Only as you become more seasoned do you learn the booking ropes. One our next cruise we booked on a Sunday and worked with the TA as we browsed both their website and the P&O website to find and discuss cabins and options.

If you don't know the question to ask then you just may book the wrong cruise. - PN

I AGREE WITH THE COMMENTS ABOVE, SOMETIMES PEOPLE DO BOOK ON THE SPUR OF THE MOMENT, BEFORE RESEARCHING WHICH SHIP WILL BE RIGHT FOR THEM - EASY DONE, I DIDN'T, BUT CAN SEE IT WOULD BE EASY TO DO

Sue:cool:

Even an uncouth 'colonial' from Australia, like me would not wear Jeans in the dining rooms of an evening, brekkie and lunch yes. But shorts is our normal attire during the day, for me, even in our winter.

Cheers..:)

I can't believe this thread is still rumbling on!

Anyway, just to drag it all back to its origin (again), what the OP actually asked was:

hi are jeans unheard of on a po cruise?....not to wear on the ship in the evenings but on excursions etc............will we be allowed on

So loobylouuk was asking about wearing jeans ashore, on excursions. And given that she's just got back from a cruise on Oriana, that means she was actually asking about wearing jeans ashore, on excursions in late October & early November.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.....

you may wear them, but not many do, do they???

Most men are in trousers on SMART casual night. Jeans are not smart, they are for country and western nights and the pub :D

Anyone who hates dressing up in the evenings perhaps should consider Ocean Village?

you may wear them, but not many do, do they???

Most men are in trousers on SMART casual night. Jeans are not smart, they are for country and western nights and the pub :D

Anyone who hates dressing up in the evenings perhaps should consider Ocean Village?

Susan

I will have you know that my jeans are smart and as for Ocean Village.

I like to stand out in a crowd and wearing my 'smart' jeans on Ocean Village would not be as effective as on Arcadia et al. :D

Regards

Cb

Jeans, notwihstanding a County & Western casual evening theme are unsuitable for evening attire and are not practical for runs ashore or up on deck other then if it is cool.

Jeans are about as appropriate on a cruise as a Barbour Jacket.

Both are for the ranch in Arizona or the Yorksire moors respectively.

were are flying on cattle trucks to the Caribbean maybe I should put my chaps over the jeans!

Anyway, it's not the jeans that are inappropriate but more often the person insde them. Some people just don't have a clue how to dress or what suits them.

No point wearing them on OV. They wouldn't know the difference between smart jeans and those out of Primark.

And what is wrong with 'Primark':D:D

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Well what can i say! there are some interesting replies on this thread!!

However i have now done the cruise which was very enjoyable although at times like a hospital ship due to the age group! and guess what i took my jeans and i was wasn't the only one!!........there were many,not in the resturants in the evening but they were there.

To be honest there were some great get-ups much,much worse than the dreaded jean!

Why would i want to (what some would consider) down grade to an Ocean Village cruise just because i dont want to wear a ball gown every night?

I did not pick PandO for its dress code...i picked it for the ship,the itinery and its reviews. I like dressing up and think i make a jolly good effort,my family and i adhere to the dress codes like most do but i do like to live and let live, welcome change and adventure and try to think with an open mind................umm maybe PandO isnt for me then.

Lou

Some people have their first cruise or two and suddenly become experts on all aspects of cruising.

Perhaps they should think more about enjoying themselves than worrying who is or is not adhereing to the "suggested" dress code.

I like dressing us too and believe I compliment what my wife chooses to wear (even down to colours). I take great pride in my appearance and my teenage son has happily followed me to the point I might start nicking his clothes to wear (his DJ is certainly better than mine!)

Some people have their first cruise or two and suddenly become experts on all aspects of cruising.

Perhaps they should think more about enjoying themselves than worrying who is or is not adhereing to the "suggested" dress code.

I like dressing us too and believe I compliment what my wife chooses to wear (even down to colours). I take great pride in my appearance and my teenage son has happily followed me to the point I might start nicking his clothes to wear (his DJ is certainly better than mine!)

Esprit i am with you.............i would think myself very sad if i were to spend ££££'s on a holiday and then spend my time feeling that some one else had ruined it for me because they were wearing jeans.

I would be enjoying myself too much to notice anyway!!

Lou

what i took my jeans and i was wasn't the only one!!........there were many,not in the resturants in the evening but they were there.

To be honest there were some great get-ups much,much worse than the dreaded jean!

Of course jeans are fine in the day -I wore them too.... this thread has got a bit mixed up I reckon...as you said, as I did, jeans not so good in a restaurant - YES, restaurant !! in the evening, but fine in the day.

And 'ball gowns' don't have to be worn 'every night' its only 4 nights about of 14 for heavens sake.

Sue

what i took my jeans and i was wasn't the only one!!........there were many,not in the resturants in the evening but they were there.

Of course jeans are fine in the day -I wore them too.... this thread has got a bit mixed up I reckon...as you said, as I did, jeans not so good in a restaurant - YES, restaurant !! in the evening, but fine in the day.

And 'ball gowns' don't have to be worn 'every night' its only 4 nights about of 14 for heavens sake.

Sue

umm..... or not at all on Ocean Village.............eh??

So whats the problem then?

You started the thread, we all gave our views? Thats what this site is all about. I think you agree that jeans are fine onboard ship in the day - if you feel the need in the Caribbean??? , tell us about the cruise then?

Sue

Archived