All Things Miracle!!!!

Sandi149

Now, I'm currently sailing on the Miracle that has had 3 itinerary changes in the last 4 days. Now I understand the Hurricane changes things and they reserve the right to do so, but the attitude of the captain has caused paassengers to ballistic. People lined up for hours protesting the only way the know how....adjusting their gratuities down to zero! There was a lawyer oraganizing the melee, he ended up somehow getting a meeting with the captain and came back out and said they could come to no agreement-(didn't think they would anyway) and this only angered the crowd more!! People starting chanting REFUND REFUND!!!-(all this in front of the pursers desk). It was chaos! What caused the dust up was the following:

Changes since we sailed from NY on 8/29/08

Original: San Juan, St. Thomas..Grand Turk

Changed to: Port Canaveral, Nassau, Freeport

Changed Again: Port Canaveral, Freeport and Rhode Island!

The Rhode Island announcement really put people over the edge!

I've never cruised before, so I'm just taking it all in stride.

But personally for me the Captain saying, "I'm supposed to take you to NY and bring you back and where we go in between is none of your business" was a bit much. Yes he said it in jest, but it still went down wrong...Especially with the port of call being Rhode Island.

Just thought I'd put it out there. What do you think??

WOW Would I be Pi$$ed. Let's see I can drive to Newport in less than an hour and I end up paying big bucks to cruise there.

I guess it is part of the risk of cruising during hurricane season Sounds like the Captain needs an attitude ajustment.

I wonder if he will still be the Captain when we sail on the Miracle in January ?

No not at all. I am critical of the way the cruise lines handle and communicate in these situations.

First, they said they would go to Nassau and Freeport. I have been watching hurricane tracks for 20 years, and my first reaction was that's crazy, they have no business heading straight at that storm with 24 hours margin in Nassau. Sure enough, the changed their minds and went only as far as Freeport.

When you book a cruise to the tropics and get redirected to Florida and a port 100 miles from home (and for some on the cruise, it IS home), they should be communicating well and, in my opinion, offering some token of compensation - even a discount on a future cruise would make me feel as though they understand the disappointment and devaluation of the money paid for the cruise.

This reminds me of 2 years ago when RCCL send a Bermuda cruise to Canada, and did not tell anyone until they were on board. People did not even have the right clothes for the trip, and there was a bit of a mutiny on that one also.

we are sailing the Miracle 10/8/08 and paid for a "Caribean" cruise. I hope the storms calm down by then:D I wonder how full the ship would have sailed if the original ports were Orlando,Freeport and Newport? I know I wouldn't have booked it. We have been on 6 cruises, all sailing in "hurricane season" and have had some port changes. All changes were communicated timely and were all excelent (similar) ports. I would think with these changes that were made Carnival would offer something...:confused:

PellicanBill + Billfish.....

So you would rather the captain just threw caution to the wind and sailed into those storms? I commend the captain and crew........the small few on that cruise sound like idiots.....

I said I understand that there is a risk in cruising during hurricane season. My point is that the Captain may have chosen a poor way of communicating with the passengers Believe me I have spent thousands of hours at the helm of boats and know that weather is not something to try to second guess.

No not at all. I am critical of the way the cruise lines handle and communicate in these situations.

First, they said they would go to Nassau and Freeport. I have been watching hurricane tracks for 20 years, and my first reaction was that's crazy, they have no business heading straight at that storm with 24 hours margin in Nassau. Sure enough, the changed their minds and went only as far as Freeport.

When you book a cruise to the tropics and get redirected to Florida and a port 100 miles from home (and for some on the cruise, it IS home), they should be communicating well and, in my opinion, offering some token of compensation - even a discount on a future cruise would make me feel as though they understand the disappointment and devaluation of the money paid for the cruise.

This reminds me of 2 years ago when RCCL send a Bermuda cruise to Canada, and did not tell anyone until they were on board. People did not even have the right clothes for the trip, and there was a bit of a mutiny on that one also.

Read the contract. They can change ports due to weather. You always take a chance when you sail during hurricane season of not getting to the ports that were scheduled. They don't have to compensate you because of weather.

To all Miracle Cruisers. We are planning a Meet and Greet for the 10/8/08 sailing and need some help. I have read if you contact the CD they might help with the planning of the get together. We are not sure of where and how we go about it. Any input appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Harry

Read the contract. They can change ports due to weather. You always take a chance when you sail during hurricane season of not getting to the ports that were scheduled. They don't have to compensate you because of weather.

gah. that's not what I said at all. never mind.

Reminds me...we went on Empress of the Seas 2 years ago from NY to Bermuda with friends. The woman friend has been to Bermuda about a dozen times. It is her favorite place on earth (mine too!) She actually wants to be BURIED there! :confused: Anyway, they had the muster drill as we were sailing out. Capt. came on the loud speaker and said at that time there were high seas and high winds in Bermuda and he would decide when we got closer if he would be able to make it. Might have to change course or something or other. WELL....our friend literally ripped off her life vest, threw it on the floor and proclaimed that she was GETTING OFF THE SHIP! :eek: :eek: I mean, what was she going to do, jump overboard? Weather ended up being fine and we made Bermuda with no problem. I too would be disappointed if there was an itin change (praying it doesn't happen when we leave on 9/22) but what do you do about it....:(

I think these are pretty generic questions and are probably best posed on the main Carnival board. This isn't a Miracle-specific issue.

Read the cruise contract. They owe no compensation for changing ports. It would be a bad precedent to set.

Please give the Captain and the Cruiseline the credit they deserve for doing all they can to keep the vessel, the crew, and the passengers safe.

Anyway, I just booked my 2nd Miracle cruise. It will be my 2nd balcony. Our first was on our Miracle cruise, and it was great, but I decided that if there were fewer than 3 sea days, I wouldn't bother. The price difference is just too great for me. I prefer to use that difference to book another, shorter, cruise.

But since this sailing has FOUR sea days, I booked an aft. Unfortunately, I can't justify the price of a wrap, so it's "just" an aft, but it should be great. Long, long way out, but I wanted to lock in the cabin. If prices go up (and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if they do), I'll look like a genius. If they drop, I'll be able to get a price drop, and I'll look like a genius. If they reclassify the cabins and the afts get bumped up to a higher category, I'll look like a genius!

Well, in my own eyes, at least. ;)

We just arrived home from the Miracle; I agree with PelicanBill 100%-We all know that we booked this cruise during hurricane season and were taking a chance in doing so; Most of us also know that the cruise line has the right to make changes in ports due to weather situations. That being said, we were all grateful for safety first, however, I have never seen a situation handled so poorly in my life, espcially by Captain Volpi. We found his comments to bordering on arrogant, rude, and condescending. I'm sure the passengers leaving today would have loved to have known they were referred to as "suckers" by the esteemed Captain!! I have to say the rest of the staff were wonderful and tried to make some disappointing moments as pleasant as possible!

We leave on the 14th on the Miracle. IF you can, Please give us a review and more details regarding the "issue"

Why did he call today's sailers SUCKERS?

We just arrived home from the Miracle; I agree with PelicanBill 100%-We all know that we booked this cruise during hurricane season and were taking a chance in doing so; Most of us also know that the cruise line has the right to make changes in ports due to weather situations. That being said, we were all grateful for safety first, however, I have never seen a situation handled so poorly in my life, espcially by Captain Volpi. We found his comments to bordering on arrogant, rude, and condescending. I'm sure the passengers leaving today would have loved to have known they were referred to as "suckers" by the esteemed Captain!! I have to say the rest of the staff were wonderful and tried to make some disappointing moments as pleasant as possible!

There is a thread started....re: waiting for reports from those just off the Miracle....could you please also post there...not sure they will look here..:)

So again I ask - How did you know he said that and the departing passengers didnt?

Volpi ?? I thought the captain was Capusti?

Trock, The Captain was Andrea Volpi. I'm not sure how long he has been on the Miracle. I can certainly see that you are skeptical about what I have written, but I have to tell you, we were very shocked ourselves; I have been on over 40 cruises and have never encountered something like this before. What makes you think no one else heard this comment???

I have to say that I just got home from the Miracle today and I never heard the captain call anyone "suckers" so I am really not sure when that was accounced. I will say that the conduct of many of the "cruisers" was absolutely appalling!! I have never encounter more rude and obnoxious people....I am not saying the entire ship was that way but, the 300 or so people who where upset with the port decisions decided to try and make the rest of us have a horrible time.

The crew and staff were excellent in the handling of this circumstance....I witness several of these "trouble makers" attack the staff verbally and were unwilling to even listen to what they had to say.

Just so you know....these lovely fellow cruiser decided to pull $20,000 worth of tips from the hard working staff that had no control over any of this situation. I am glad that they captain and the rest of the crew try to stick up for their staff.....there was no reason to not pay the people that took care of you all week....

It amazes me that those same people went to dinner, enjoyed the shows and had their cabins clean but, they decided that was how they were going to "put it to carnival". The behaviour I witnessed this past week really makes me think about never cruising out of NYC again. I have never had this type of problem on any of the other "hurricane season" cruises that I have taken on other lines....

Lastly, The ship was really great - and the above certainly did NOT ruin my trip because I had fun with the people I met and in the ports we went to...Just so you know....Newport RI was beautiful and it was 85 on friday and it was simply a perfect day!!

Laura:)

oops forgot one thing...

I do know first hand how out of control this crowd was.....we were waiting for a tender to Newport and it was foggy, I mean really foggy maybe 2 feet of visability....anyway - they were tendering really slow we were first in line and they crowd assembled...next thing you know they are yelling at the staff..."where are the boats how come they aren't here fast enough" they explained that it was really foggy and the started yelling at the staff over and over..."where is the tender..get it here now!!" Mind you all of these people had cut in line to get to the front....finally the boats get here and the staff person let us know they were going to begin boarding....and I relayed the message to them to be nice...and they started yelling at me..."why are you telling us she should be telling us...you aren't a carnival rep..." FOR GOD SAKE I WAS ONLY TRYING TO BE NICE AND LET THEM KNOW....not a nice group.

Also, one last thing and I promise I will be done....Just so you know we couldn't go to berumda....because they wouldn't let us dock there....carnival doesn't have a contract to dock there this time of year so the port was not possible. Not to mention there were already 2 boats dock there and they can only handle so many passengers.....I kept hearing this over and over - we can tender here in Newport but not there....blah blah.

All this info was found out by just asking the staff NICELY.

Newport has so much to do....there is a great shopping area with a bunch of irish pubs...let me tell you good beer 24 on tap at one pub for only 3.50/pint beats the 5.50 a bottle on the ship....you can also do a cliff walk which was amazing, there is a beach, harbor and manisons you can tour.....there is an old light house - there is so much to do and you can walk to most of it. You could take a harbour cruise even....it is a really great stop for the day....

Laura:)

Archived