Signature Baggage Service

spottedcamel

You know Jim, since you guys live in Orlando, you coud take the Sunset Ltd from Orlando to San Diego for your Sea of Corez cruise. They let you take a whole lot more in the way of baggage. You could get a sleeper car and sit back and relax in your slippers as you travel across the country.

I did that round trip a few years ago and completely enjoyed it.

I received an email back from HAL customer service. Airtran is NOT one of the airlines using the baggage service. :( So sad! I had asked for a list of airlines using it, and the response was that they are waiting for that list at this time. Darn, wish I had known about this when we booked our flights, I could have flown Delta instead (which I think does use the service). Oh well, time to figure something else to do while waiting for our 5:30 flight.

If we had enough time perhaps we could talk airtran into being a part of it...LOL....:D

But I am sure if you called they would have absolutely no idea what we were talking about :rolleyes:

I wish I had booked Delta as well....oh well...we don't fly out until after 3:30 ourselves...:(

in the airport before security check in. We are going to look it over when we fly into FLL before the cruise. Our plane doesn't leave FLL until 6:45pm and as far as I can tell JetBlue does not participate in the Signature Baggage Program. I called the service and the charge is $5 per bag. Hope this helps somebody to have fun in Ft Lauderdale before flying home!! Here is the info I was given by a friend that lives in Ft Lauderdale.

Cheers, Denise

Public Baggage Storage

Public Baggage Storage is available in Terminals 1, 2, 3, and 4. Enjoy exploring the airport or surrounding communities without the impediment of having to take your luggage with you.

Hours vary by location and season; however the Terminal 3 location is open 7 days a week from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm. For more information call 954-394-8001.

I received an email back from HAL customer service. Airtran is NOT one of the airlines using the baggage service. :( So sad! I had asked for a list of airlines using it, and the response was that they are waiting for that list at this time. Darn, wish I had known about this when we booked our flights, I could have flown Delta instead (which I think does use the service). Oh well, time to figure something else to do while waiting for our 5:30 flight.

Cruisin Suzi,

I contacted Airtran..I received an e-mail back from them today...below is what they said...

Dear (removed my name)

Thank you for contacting AirTran Airways. Please contact the cruise line as we do offer this service depending on the ship. They would be able to tell you if the service is available aboard the specific ship.

Thank you for choosing AirTran Airways. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Kayla Payne

Customer Relations Department

AirTran Airways

SOOO this sounds like good news!!!:p

This really is a great deal. Just a couple of months ago, luckily, I was able to take advantage of this service.

I was unhappily leaving the ms Amsterdam in Seattle (as in kicking and screaming "no I don't want to get off the ship":D ) after a great 7-day Alaska cruise and was headed home to San Diego. The airline chosen for me by HAL was Alaska Airlines (great airline by the way) and my flight was scheduled to leave at 1:00 p.m. My only question was: "the communication says for flights leaving after 1:00 p.m, so do I qualify?" Thankfully, the answer was "yes - 12.45 p.m. and you would be SOL*, but a 1:00 p.m. flight is fine " (*my words, not those of the very helpful young lady at the Front Desk;) ).

The fee then was $10.00 per person (with a maximum of 2 suitcases per person I think. I only had one suitcase so didn't pay much attention to the number allowed.) My boarding pass and the flight information strap to attach to the suitcase handle were sent to my cabin. I put my suitcase outside the cabin door the night before disembarkation and I did not see my suitcase again until it and I both arrived safely in San Diego. Check in at the airport was a breeze because I already had the boarding pass and just a small carry-on.

It certainly was well worth the $10.00 fee and I would willingly pay more for the service, however both my next two cruises booked with HAL end in San Diego so all I have to worry about is finding my luggage at the dock and getting a shuttle home. Finding the luggage and a porter will probably take at least 45 minutes but the ride home will only be about 20 minutes:cool: .

Valerie:)

Thanks lillulu! That would be great. I'll call HAL and see what they say. Sure would be alot easier if there was just a list out there somewhere. Keep your fingers crossed! :)

How I found out about this was on Hollands web sight..they listed the ships and ports that they covered....Now if the list is extending I don't know...look under baggage on holland and it will have signature baggage listed...there you will see the ships and ports....

I know my ship and port show...now I just need holland to confirm...:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I've read all the posts in both of the Signature Express Baggage threads, and found no reference to carry-on luggage. I was sort of hoping they would take it, store it securely, and let us pick it up at the airport prior to the flight. We'll be stuck in FLL til 5pm following a cruise. The SE service sounds wonderful, but I'm curious to know if we'll still be schlepping our computer and carry-on. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this.

I've read all the posts in both of the Signature Express Baggage threads, and found no reference to carry-on luggage. I was sort of hoping they would take it, store it securely, and let us pick it up at the airport prior to the flight. We'll be stuck in FLL til 5pm following a cruise. The SE service sounds wonderful, but I'm curious to know if we'll still be schlepping our computer and carry-on. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this.

In April, in FLL, there was no mention of any provision for the carry-on luggage. I had to keep my (very heavy) computer case and carry-on bag with me. There is no mention on the HAL site of any provision for carry-ons either.

In April, in FLL, there was no mention of any provision for the carry-on luggage. I had to keep my (very heavy) computer case and carry-on bag with me. There is no mention on the HAL site of any provision for carry-ons either.

Thanks, Sundagger. I was afraid that might be the case. Not sure I want to lug a computer along after all now.

• 2 weeks later...

I just used the signature baggage off of the Volendam in FLL. They took our luggage the night before just like always. Then when you get into the warehouse, you do not have to go looking for your luggage, they have it in a separate area waiting for you. (you have to clear customes with your luggage). We had no problem, the porter had our luggage, we went threw. Outside was an area you took your luggage to and just dropped it off. We went and got a taxi and headed to the airport. (you do have to keep any baggage that you do not want to check with you). We got on the plane, headed home. We went to baggage claim and waiting for our luggage to come. Wahhhlaahh, there was our luggage. Collected it all and went on our way home.

I would use this again. And hope that we have the same experience as this time. It was well worth the $15.00 per person for 2 bags each.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a list yesterday (11/12/07) directly from HAL of participating airlines for Signature Express Baggage Service, specifically for Zuiderdam out of FLL:

Alaska Air

Verizon

United

Northwest

American

US Airlines

Continental

Skyway

Delta

Of course we are booked on Jet Blue (5:00 flight) which is still NOT ON THE LIST! :( Not sure what we're gonna do.

I just used the signature baggage off of the Volendam in FLL. They took our luggage the night before just like always. Then when you get into the warehouse, you do not have to go looking for your luggage, they have it in a separate area waiting for you. (you have to clear customes with your luggage). We had no problem, the porter had our luggage, we went threw. Outside was an area you took your luggage to and just dropped it off. We went and got a taxi and headed to the airport. (you do have to keep any baggage that you do not want to check with you). We got on the plane, headed home. We went to baggage claim and waiting for our luggage to come. Wahhhlaahh, there was our luggage. Collected it all and went on our way home.

I would use this again. And hope that we have the same experience as this time. It was well worth the $15.00 per person for 2 bags each.

I don't see the point if you still have to take the luggage through customs. We did not have to do this in San Diego 11/10. We put our checked bags outside our cabin with the airline tags the previous evening and next saw them when we arrived in Phoenix. We loved it as the only bag lugging we had to do was after we landed in Phoenix. It was well worth the $15 per person plus we also had our boarding passes with no effort on our part.

We used the service coming off the Westerdam on 11/4 and it went like planned. Had our Boarding Passes the last night onboard along with 4 luggage tags to attach to our 4 bags. Allowed two per person and total charge was $30. Took our bags thru Customs and then outside the terminal and handed off to Bags, Inc. of FLL and all bags were at our home airport with no problems.

I don't see the point if you still have to take the luggage through customs. We did not have to do this in San Diego 11/10. We put our checked bags outside our cabin with the airline tags the previous evening and next saw them when we arrived in Phoenix. We loved it as the only bag lugging we had to do was after we landed in Phoenix. It was well worth the $15 per person plus we also had our boarding passes with no effort on our part.

If we could have done it the way you did it would of been even nicer, but FLL must do theirs completely different. I guess all places probably will.

It's not like we had to lug them far. We were within maybe 3 feet from where we checked out with customs. Walked out the door, and to the left was the people who took your luggage. Pushing them or pulling them through customs, or as we did, got a porter (which he told us no tipping was necessary, we tipped anyways) this was a breeze, compared to loading them in a taxi, taking them out of the taxi, lugging them into the airport. Waiting to go through the line to check them in. Waiting to get luggage tags put on them. Then finally getting to head to the gate.

We had to do none of that, and it made the vacation still relaxing until we got home and had to collect our luggage:(

I think that we all agree that Signature Baggage Service is a wonderful opportunity to relieve the "travel home blues" by taking your luggage directly to your home city airport.

The problem with SBS has been that too many people think that their ship to airport travel voucher is the same thing!

It will take a while to educate the cruising public, that a travel voucher is for you and not for your luggage. SBS is for your luggage, not you, and requires a separate onboard payment.

It isn't "fun" to send guests back to the ship from the airport, because they thought that the luggage transfer service is included.

If in doubt, show your SBS generated Airline Boarding Pass to the HAL shore staff when debarking. If you haven't got one, you MUST then go sift through the thousands of bags laying on the ground in the terminal BEFORE boarding the bus (and hauling your bags with you to it).

David

To me that is still the "beauty" of it. Even if you have to claim your bags and take them thru Customs you don't have to lug them to the airport. Worth it to me!

What's even better is if you disembark in the morning and your flight isn't until the evening -- they take your bags, give you a boarding pass and then you can spend the day doing whatever you like and not worry about your luggage at all.

Freedom --- to do as you please and head to the airport with ease.

We plan to do this in FLL next week!:)

Archived