Running Back to RCCL!!!!!

pa_heather

Please explain the exra charges? I understand specialty restaurants and wine cards, but have never experienced those mentioned above. We are considering our first cruise on RC, having sailed on Carnival, Hal, and NCL previously. Cost is not as much an issue as not knowing what to expect. I don't see any of these explained on RC site.

Thanks for any info.

Please explain the exra charges? I understand specialty restaurants and wine cards, but have never experienced those mentioned above. We are considering our first cruise on RC, having sailed on Carnival, Hal, and NCL previously. Cost is not as much an issue as not knowing what to expect. I don't see any of these explained on RC site.

Thanks for any info.

If you want to go to one of the specialty restaurants, there is an extra charge. The dining room food is very good, so don't feel like going to one of the specialty restaurants is necessary for a great cruise experience. One is an Italian and the other is a steakhouse.

There is a charge for the wine tasting seminar, any spa treatments, bingo, Ben and Jerry's ice cream, a $3.95 cover charge for Johnny Rockets (a hamburger place), and ...well if I think of any more I'll add to the list.

I can't wait to be back on RC next time- or maybe Celebrity...

Heather, Please save yourself the disappointment and avoid Celebrity. We did an Alaska cruise on the Mercury and were very sadly disappointed. We booked it figuring that because Celebrity was under the RCCL banner that we would be ok and because it was SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive. Next time we will spend the extra $$ and stick with RCCL. We had poor service, staff members that would loudly complain about being there while ignoring customers. I, for one, was very embarrassed because I was the one that coordinated this trip for MANY members of our family as a graduation present for my son/family reunion. I have already booked my next trip on RCCL and will stay with them in the future in order to get the experience I have come to expect.

I guess everyone has a different perspective on their likes and dislikes. We prefer Celebrity, Holland, Princess, RCCL, NCL, and carnival in that order. Food on celebrity the best, service on HAL the best, princess for anytime dining, 24 hour lido, and 24 hour jacuzzi's and fitness center.

Welcom back. Was thinking about defecting. Changed my mind.

So let me see if I understand this correctly. A person on a open message board, who probably works for RCCL states they will never cruise Princess again and just like that, soley based on a posted statement from a total stranger, you boldly state you too will never cruise Princess. Now that is some funny stuff.

You know, I generally have a good time on any cruise I'm on. All lines have something to offer. We didn't find our first cruise experience on RCCL great, so we tried other lines and now we are going to give RCCL another go since they are moving a big ship to Galveston. I still want to sail on Celebrity, Holland, Seabourne and Cunard to form my own opinion.

So let me see if I understand this correctly. A person on a open message board, who probably works for RCCL states they will never cruise Princess again and just like that, soley based on a posted statement from a total stranger, you boldly state you too will never cruise Princess. Now that is some funny stuff.

I DO NOT work for Royal Caribbean (or any other cruise line for that matter). Are these kinds of posts really necessary? Sometimes the self-righteousness on these boards in mind-boggling (but mostly just amusing that people give this much time and thought to a post that really didn't concern them in the first place). For a more detailed review of our experiences, please read this-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=632118

I DO NOT work for Royal Caribbean (or any other cruise line for that matter). Are these kinds of posts really necessary? Sometimes the self-rightousness on these boards in mind-boggling (but mostly just amusing that people get this worked up over a post that really didn't concern them in the first place). For a more detailed review of our experiences, please read this-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=632118

That is just the way this board has become....People love to flame others for expressing some opinion...I remember the days when this board was useful, I post reviews and pictures for others to learn more about my passion...Some people on here are just down right RUDE and frankly I am getting tired of it.

Our January cruise with them had an average age of 103 I think and the ship was completely deserted by 10pm.

Robtx- Just curious, if the average age on the cruise was 103 how old were the oldest cruisers on board. and my congratulations to them for being able to travel at that age. I'm somewhat surprised there was nightlife after 8 pm if the avg age was 103.

I do not have a problem with specialty resturant extras because it covers the tip......I use them for a special occasion, didn't like the menu that night or just didn't want to go to the dining room.

I can be happy with extra charge ice cream because the soft serve and dining rooms are free.

I don't mind the charge in JR's because it keeps the kids from monopolizing the place.

I do have a problem with regular menu items for room service. Sometimes I'm just too tired to get off my duff and go fetch a piece of pizza.....thats part of cruising.

These extras keep my cost down and now I'm sailing in balcony cabins for what I used to pay for insides.

Extra stuff charge all you like because I have choice but the typically always included in your cruisefare like room service leave alone.

Sorry you did not enjoy Princess. I have had great luck with them. I am looking forward to trying RCCL again in a few weeks. Last time I was on the AOS when it was new and I was not impressed. But I think that it can depend more on the Ship then the line. Good luck on your next cruise!

I can't wait to be back on RC next time- or maybe Celebrity...

Heather, Please save yourself the disappointment and avoid Celebrity. We did an Alaska cruise on the Mercury and were very sadly disappointed. We booked it figuring that because Celebrity was under the RCCL banner that we would be ok and because it was SIGNIFICANTLY less expensive. Next time we will spend the extra $$ and stick with RCCL. We had poor service, staff members that would loudly complain about being there while ignoring customers. I, for one, was very embarrassed because I was the one that coordinated this trip for MANY members of our family as a graduation present for my son/family reunion. I have already booked my next trip on RCCL and will stay with them in the future in order to get the experience I have come to expect.

Rather unfair to tell Heather to avoid Celebrity based solely on your one experience.

Truly amazing how people's experiences can be so completely different. My sister and whole family were on the Mercury to Alaska in July and thoroughly enjoyed the cruise with no complaints about anything. She would echo your last sentence but substitute Celebrity for RCCL.

Heather my family and I did Crown Princess last year and were a little disappointed too. The rooms felt small d/t the layout I think and the square footage is a little less than RCC. I loved MUTS! I thought that was a great idea. I didn't care for the layout of the ship either because the stairs didn't always lead to somewhere! I take the stairs everywhere and I'd go down several flights and the stairs just dead ended! I'd have to go up a couple of floors, then over, then down again. It was odd. I didn't like paying for the sanctuary because thats a place I like to go to read and relax. 140.00 a week to use it is excessive. Food was ok but I think you can never tell how the food is going to be from one ship to the other in any line. That said I'm going on the Serenade in December. For the poster who didn't like the AOS I have to laugh because I've read so many bad things about that ship and I had the time of my life on it! The staff is sooo cheerful and friendly! Its a real party ship. We all truly like different things and sometimes I think its just our frame of mind at the time.

Archived