C&A Rumor ( this might be old...)

STEVE-O

I should elaborate....

I heard this rumor during a Platinum/Diamond party from a grumpy guy who did not state his source.......He also told me another tidbit which turned out to be 100% false! ( proven so -during- the cruise!)....

I'd hate to see my mere mention of that conversation turn into any type of revolt or harsh feelings towards RCCL.

This "gentleman" did say all current C&A diamond and D+ members would be grandfathered in. I can only imagine the fallout if they weren't!

My wife and I are at 7 with 3 booked before the end of Oct 2008....which will put us at 12......We'd definitely go elsewhere if the rug is pulled out from under us when we're this close.........

Thanks for elaborating on your source. Hope we can turn up evidence to prove him wrong on this rumor. We would be grandfathered in as we are already Diamond but I would love to make it to Diamond Plus and 24 is more attainable than a higher number.

I should elaborate....

I heard this rumor during a Platinum/Diamond party from a grumpy guy who did not state his source.......He also told me another tidbit which turned out to be 100% false! ( proven so -during- the cruise!)....

I'd hate to see my mere mention of that conversation turn into any type of revolt or harsh feelings towards RCCL.

This "gentleman" did say all current C&A diamond and D+ members would be grandfathered in. I can only imagine the fallout if they weren't!

My wife and I are at 7 with 3 booked before the end of Oct 2008....which will put us at 12......We'd definitely go elsewhere if the rug is pulled out from under us when we're this close.........

I understand your sentiments. I have 2 suites booked coming up - if it is all for naught, they will be the last suites I book. I haven't wanted to change cruise lines because of their loyalty program, but if they make what is attainable now completely unattainable, I will explore other options. There will be no point in remaining loyal.

Shoot me if you want, but I've always been an advocate of number of days at sea as the criteria for advancement in a loyalty program. A number of my friends that live in Florida have taken advantage of being able to take short 3 and 4 day cruises to get to various levels.

I'm not slammng them for using the rules to their advantage as I used a short cruise to get to Diamond Plus last year.

Them were the rules and weuns used em to our advantage. (waiting for comments on grammer).

But, I think using number of days is fairer and would level the playing field.

They could still give extra credits for suites, but that would eliminate the extra credit for longer cruises as with # of days that would no longer be relevant.

(too bad somebody on the west coast is on a cruise).

Interesting news. I don't think it's so much a question of "if" rather than "when." It has to happen at some point soon. The concierge lounges are too full as it is, and the costs associated with all of the perks has to be adding up as repeat guests continue to return. It's unfortunate for those who will lose out with this change, but I guess it's better than the perks being abolished altogether.

I wish RCI would just measure by days at sea, and not "credits."

It doesn't seem quite fair that a 3 or four day cruise gets the same 1 credit as a seven day up to 11 days! We took an 11 day back in 2003 and thought it was 2 credits, only to find out that they changed that Jan 1st-just 2 weeks before our cruise! A 12 day or a suite gets you two cuise credits. Anything under gets you 1. How many sea days have ya'll got as opposed to credits? Hey! I am going to figure mine out!

People that live in Florida and Southern California have really had it made the way it is - they can easily hop on weekend cruises in a suite and get two credits. The vast majority of people have the added expense of flying to contend with.

I agree - I don't think a 3 day cruise should be equivalent to an 11 day cruise, either.

Just got back from a cruise on Liberty OTS. A Diamond + member told me that RCCL is going to change to # of cruises required to qualify for Diamond and Diamond +. Not sure where he got his info.

He said the new requirements will be 25 for Diamond, 50 for Diamond +.

I asked the L/A on board who responded with a wishy-washy answer....it didn't put my mind at ease, that's for sure...

SO.....anyone else hear this ( or similar ) rumors?

I plan to call RCCL tomorrow...Of course, we know how that goes....

Why post this without any facts? Just wondering.

I should elaborate....

I heard this rumor during a Platinum/Diamond party from a grumpy guy who did not state his source.......He also told me another tidbit which turned out to be 100% false! ( proven so -during- the cruise!)...........

ooookay............this now does not even qualify as a rumor.

I should elaborate....

May we ask what the other rumor was??

It doesn't seem quite fair that a 3 or four day cruise gets the same 1 credit as a seven day up to 11 days! We took an 11 day back in 2003 and thought it was 2 credits, only to find out that they changed that Jan 1st-just 2 weeks before our cruise! A 12 day or a suite gets you two cuise credits. Anything under gets you 1. How many sea days have ya'll got as opposed to credits? Hey! I am going to figure mine out!
Before they changed it to 12 days getting two credits, all sailings were one credit regardless of length. 11 day cruises never got two credits.

I think all the perks are nice but it really doesn't make a difference to me. Next week will be my 1st sailing at platinum level-and yes the balcony discount was nice. After this cruise I will be at 7 cruise credits-1 for cruise and 1 for the JS.:D but I do enjoy sailing other lines! And other lines really don't give anything to their returning guests;Disney gives nice returning gifts-but that's it. Nothing really sets apart the new and the returning cruisers. I do plan on booking the Celebrity Solstice next week while on the Mariner. I'm not too sure how the Captain's Club reciprocating with Crown and Anchor works? And looking at the Captain's Club levels-it really doesn't compare with Crown and Anchor. So my long winded point-yes it's nice;but it won't keep me from cruising with RCCL or other lines that have interesting itineraries or ships. JMHO;)

I think all the perks are nice but it really doesn't make a difference to me. Next week will be my 1st sailing at platinum level-and yes the balcony discount was nice. After this cruise I will be at 7 cruise credits-1 for cruise and 1 for the JS.:D but I do enjoy sailing other lines! And other lines really don't give anything to their returning guests;Disney gives nice returning gifts-but that's it. Nothing really sets apart the new and the returning cruisers. I do plan on booking the Celebrity Solstice next week while on the Mariner. I'm not too sure how the Captain's Club reciprocating with Crown and Anchor works? And looking at the Captain's Club levels-it really doesn't compare with Crown and Anchor. So my long winded point-yes it's nice;but it won't keep me from cruising with RCCL or other lines that have interesting itineraries or ships. JMHO;)

If this is your first as Platinum prepare to see a big difference from GOLD when you board. Be prepared to change the point you just made:) And I mean this in a good way, I thought the jump from Gold To Platinum was huge onboard, I cant wait to be Diamond after our Dec cruise:)

The most important perk for me right now on being Diamond is the priority embarkation/debarkation and the balcony credit. About the only thing that I use the CL for is the internet as it was close by. I also grabbed a cup of coffee once or twice. I do think that if RCI changes the amount of cruises needed they will grandfather everyone in at their current level. It only makes sense to do this.

Well, I just hope this change takes them as long to implement as it is taking to "fix" the C&A website. That way, I know I can get in my next 3 credits that will take me to Diamond, which will be next May. If they're just "talking" about it now, hopefully it will take a while!

The idea of using sailed days instead of just a cruise for credits much like airlines reward those for flying overseas by giving more miles for the single segment would be one way to level the field.

There are plenty of weekends where if I lived in the Miami area I could easily leave work early on Friday make it on at the end of boarding and get to work a bit late on Monday making a nice weekend cruise out of the weekend. Although I will be glad to get the 1 credit for the cruise, I certainly understand how folks see it as an unfairly earned credit compared to their 10-11 night cruise.

1. I didn't post this to START problems...I was just curious if anyone had heard the same thing anywhere, any time....

2. The guy also told me that the don't do the Quest on Liberty....WRONG!..

SO.....there you have it. Perhaps I should have worded the original post differently......let me try again..

Say, Cruise Critic fans, anyone hear about any changes to the qualifications to make Diamond and/or Diamond + ???

( That would have been better........sorry, Y'all!)

Talked to TA last week and he did say that effective January 2008, Diamond members would no longer be offered concierge service UNLESS they are in a GS or higher.

Have to be Diamond Plus to get conciege in any cabin.

No mention of increasing the amount of credits to become Diamond or D plus..

He also said it will coincide with the "No smoking in cabins" which will take effect Jan '08...

Previously, he's been right on lots of things and apparently got this directly from RCI..

I'll be on Explorer 12/14/07 sailing. I'll see what scoops I can find out!!!

I'm a few credits short of current requirements for D plus (I have 19)...I'd hate to think I'd have to hit 50 credits!!!

If this is true, I'll be sailing and sampling other lines....Guess we'll see what happens in January!!!

I'm sure if they did change the requirements they would grandfather your current status. When they changed the Captain's Club on Celebrity that's exactly what they did. I'm "Founder Classic" in Captain's Club which means I get the separate check-in & priority disembarkment that a plain Classic doesn't get. This was because that was a perk when I joined.

[quote name='sgttami']Talked to TA last week and he did say that effective January 2008, Diamond members would no longer be offered concierge service UNLESS they are in a GS or higher.

Have to be Diamond Plus to get conciege in any cabin.
[/QUOTE]

I'd buy this; it makes sense...

[quote name='sgttami']Talked to TA last week and he did say that effective January 2008, Diamond members would no longer be offered concierge service UNLESS they are in a GS or higher.
[/quote]

Oh I know one individual that posts on this board that will not be happy with that one.:D

I can see RCI doing this. They have to do something to change the overcrowded situation in the CL now.

[quote name='swooldri']No grandfathering in?[/quote]

Trying to keep up with who was Diamond before a certain date would be a nightmare for the Concierge. I doubt very seriously that RCI would grandfather in anyone if this is the new rule and really it would not be fair to the ones making Diamond after that.

[quote name='swooldri']No grandfathering in?[/QUOTE]

I'd advocate no grandfathering because it works in my favor, but I can see why some folks would be upset with this, and I'm not syaing this to be nasty or start a battle.

I'd just be happy if RCI did something one way or another; their current action of inaction is frustrating.

Archived