Sick to death off kid haters!!!

howdyall

In regards to children with 'conditions'... It amazes me that anyone who has had children can look at another parent doing their best to deal with a child that is having a meltdown or otherwise acting up and think that their own child is somehow different. Whether the child has some extenuating circumstances contributing to the behaviour or not, it happens to every child; some more often than others. I don't believe there is, was, or ever will be, a human child that never has a meltdown in front of other people. I consider myself very fortunate to have a child with the personality I do. She has always been really good at behaving - and when I say 'really good' I mean that we had learning experiences and she learned from them, and in a relatively short time her behaviour became what I wanted (most of the time).

Babies are born as blank slates. Until they misbehave or make a bad choice, we can't correct it. That being said, my daughter was not prone to throwing tantrums. As I said, I always considered myself VERY lucky. Then one day, out of the blue, I was picking her up from a friend's house and she FLIPPED!!! I think she was about 3 or 4 at the time and I don't know if she was just tired, or hungry, or what the actual trigger was, but she screamed and kicked her feet and actually hit me in the face (flailing arms, not a punch). I was initially shocked because I'd never seen her do it before, and the friend's mom just smiled and said 'Oh, it's one of those days' and I tried to tell her that she'd never done it before but she just looked at me in a way that said 'Sure, dear, whatever you say.' I eventually got her into the car, carrying her shoes, and by the time we got home everything was fine, but it was a really horrific experience for me. Again thankfully, I've never seen that behaviour since, but I would never, ever say 'Not my child'. They're children. Whether autistic, developmentally impaired, epileptic, or 'normal', they have a fraction of the life experience we do and that's why we're responsible for them while they're minors! When I see a parent whose child is having a fit and they're paying attention to the child, I'm as supportive as I can be.

If, on the other hand, a child is being allowed to do what they will while the parent does not make an effort, that is a problem. With all the 'apparently' different opinions here, though, I think everyone agrees on this point. The only people who complain about kids whose parents are clearly doing their best are the 'child haters'. Those that complain about kids who are being allowed to be disruptive, rude, or worse have every right to do so (whether they blame the parent or not).

And the more I read this thread the more I know why this thread was started. Will kids be kids. Of course. And the parents who are here on these boards are most likely not the parents who don't parent their children. If out of 1000 children 5 of them have parents who don't parent them and they are out of control all 1000 of them will be blamed for being out of control because all people will remember is the 5. Well all the "kid haters" will remember is the 5. I remember the well behaved 12 to 18 month old on my Celebrity Cruise in October of 2004. In fact I don't think I'll ever forget her. I was so surprised at how good she was including eating in the dining room during the late seating. And I was not a mom at the time I was on a romantic vacation with my husband.

And I honestly can't believe that any one has ever had a typical two year old that has only had one tantrum over the course of time from say 18 months to three years and the parent taught them in that one tantrum to never tantrum again. If that is the case then they need to write a book on parenting toddlers.

As for Stars it doesn't sound like you will be going on a cruise while you are under 18 however you should have gone with you parents to report those adults if not for your safety then for the safety of the younger teens. And you are right the crew probably would not have listened to just you. Heck the Princess crew could care less about the man I complained about who wouldn't let me save a seat in the theater for my husband who left to go to the restroom. So reporting it may not have done any good anyway, but it does concern me.

And I honestly can't believe that any one has ever had a typical two year old that has only had one tantrum over the course of time from say 18 months to three years and the parent taught them in that one tantrum to never tantrum again. If that is the case then they need to write a book on parenting toddlers.

If you're referring to my experience, I need to stress that I am a VERY lucky parent. Also, I absolutely did not teach my daughter not to have tantrums... I just did the best I could to get her home without breaking anything at her friend's house or in the car! Her issue has never been tantrums... the biggest difficulties I've had with her were all about running away or hiding when we were shopping or climbing to the highest, most inaccessible part of a play structure and not wanting to go home. When I think of a tantrum, I think of crying, screaming, kicking, and all that... my daughter just wasn't prone to that sort of behaviour, which is why the one time it happened it freaked me out. Your reaction is exactly what I was describing from the friend's mother though - she just accepted it as something kids do, and that makes sense to me... like I said, I consider myself incredibly lucky. That's actually one of the reasons I am so sympathetic (rather than empathetic) to parents whose kids do have tantrums - I have no idea how to react to one, and I'm thankful that I've never had to learn.

My point was not that my child is or was perfect (far from it), but that none are, and that even the most even-tempered child CAN have a tantrum, even if you've never seen them have one before. I also didn't mean to give the impression that I taught her not to have them - I didn't, and with it only happening the once, that is not because I'm such a wonderful mom, it's because I'm a lucky one. She also never spit up or burped as a baby. (not even once, while her cousin projectile spewed like a fire hose!) Kids are all different, and whether they are 'normal' or not, even the best parent cannot predict 100% of the time how their child is going to behave. It might be close, but just like adults, kids still have their own minds, and we don't control what they think, we can only hope that we've set a good example and addressed enough issues that they can react and behave in ways we'll be comfortable with.

I should mention, also, that while I made a bit of a blanket statement here regarding 'all children' having the potential to throw a tantrum or behave in unexpected ways, I can really only speak for my own. I am as much of an expert on her as a person can be, but that's it. I am in no way an expert on anyone else's kids, which is why I don't think it matters whether they have 'unseeable' issues or not... they're someone else's kids and I know nothing about them... so I don't think I can make any assumptions about what's going on or why.

Sorry about any misunderstandings!

Actually CanadianTwosome I wasn't referring to you. There have been several posters (well at least one I just can't go back and check) who have said/who said that their child(ren) had one tantrum and only one and they taught their child9ren) not to have anymore after that because they are a good parent or something to that effect. Sorry I haven't slept well in several nights because my son has all 4 of his two year mollers in one stage or another of coming in.

You are certainly one of the lucky ones. Your child was born with that kind of personality. My child was born with a slow to warm up personality, but once he warms up watch out. He's been like that since well actually since he decided it was time to be born, then changed his mind. Was good for the first few weeks then colicky.

My son will have a minimum of 7 tantrums on my 7 day cruise I know this simply because I know that I will tell him that he can't have something or do something at least once a day. But his tantrums can last anywhere from 10 seconds to a few minutes. (the few minutes being very rare)

"Maybe the child you are watching have a tantrum has problems you know nothing about and are not obvious through the appearance of the child. Maybe these parents do properly discipline there child, and there is something more to the situation."

We are going on our first cruise in October 2008 with our four kids. We are also bringing my mom and my best friend to help with the children. I believe we are very good parents and I am researching everything I can about our cruise. My kids will be 12, 7,4, and 2. My 7 year old is autistic, but high functioning. He has the developmental delays, language delays and behvioral problems. He mentally is only at like a 3 year old level. We are leaving from NYC in October so we are thinking there will be less kids, cause my son gets along better with adults. We are practising eating in public and already going over things with him. The part I am afraid of is that he does have meltdowns not many but I am sure we will have atleat a couple. I hate the comments from people that don't know us. Those that say, "wow he should act his age, or can't you be good for your mom." I know they don't know my kid is autistic and he does want to be good, more than anything.

We normaly go to a family beach resort and he did so good last year until he played a carnival like game and lost so I tried winning it for him and lost. He was so upset and started crying and yes jumping up and down. The very rude game person made some nasty comment about his behavior and acting his age and my best friend jumped all over him. She told him he was autistic and he appoligized and said he didn't know. She said ya I know you didn't, but you should never judge anyone if your don't know their story. I hope that we will have a great week, but I hope people are not all rude to us about our kids?

Jenn

I wanted to pass along *hugs* to you!

I'm very close to my 8 year old cousin who is also high functioning autistic. She is on the same level as my just turned 4 year old daughter. What you described is the exact same thing I have experienced many times. We have discussed many times going on a family cruise and the first I think of is how it would go over with others on board. We've been to Universal and Disney with her and got a few comments. My mom about "threw down" with an elderly lady at Orlando airport after an inappropriate comment was made about my cousin being too old to act like that and "where is her mother?" My cousin was upset b/c we had to pitch a tiny bottle of bubbles that she had at Universal b/c we couldn't take them thru security. (We didn't know she still had them.)

Next time my mom is planning on wearing a t-shirt that says "Parenting advice is not appreciated unless you also have an autistic child."

I also like this t-shirt, "you think I'm being a brat? Ask me about my Autism. Promote education, not assumption.

I hope you have a great, comment free cruise. Enjoy!;)

I think the t-shirts are a great fundraising idea for the Autism Speaks Autism Walk. Infact if you don't mind I just might steal those ideas. If you say OK I think I'll call the South Florida office and see who they think might give me a good deal on printing because 100% of the proceeds would go to the walk. I'm supposed to call them back anyway and I forgot. :p Yes I work (well volunteer) the walk every year.

As a parent of a 4 yr old, who tries to instill manners...its ridiculus trying to parent as your child is watching children stick their hands in the buffet (I also don't want my child to get your childs germs). Or run around the restaurant, or yell and scream during a meal.

I get the " mommy look what he's doing...why is he misbehaving?" All I say is "we don't do that because we have manners."

My child knows better (knew better at age 2) since we would always remove them from the restaurant, church etc. if they didn't act appropriately.

The kids will be kids thing is getting pretty old. I've found it's a license not to parent and be insensitive to other patrons both young and old.

I couldn't agree more! My children are all grown now. (ages 19, 20, 22 & 25) BUT when they were small, they knew what behavior would and would not be tolerated.

As for Onessa's statement: Who would think that that is okay? Do you actually believe that my statements were condoning that behavior? C'mon? Please don't twist my statements into something they are not.

I'm confused, are you also Larryory? I quoted him/her and agreed with him/her.

As to my secondary point -- I do not recall quoting you or referencing you at all. -- the example I gave was from nearly 30 years ago when I was working at a gift shop in college -- so unless you lived in the Appleton Wisconsin area in 1979 and had a little boy named Jonathon who climbed up glass shelves to throw crystal at his mother, you have NO reason to take any of MY comments personally!

But hey! whatever is going on and whatever the cause or underlying reasons - my point is that the kid and parents are ultimately responsible to deal with it. If my kid is having a meltdown, I am responsible to deal with it and part of that "dealing with it" is to minimize the impact of my child's behavior to the innocent bystanders around us.

When my DD was younger, we'd excuse ourselves from the table and go for a little walk when she was getting antsy while dining. She'd play with small toys and read books. Multiple times, I'd leave a shopping cart at customer service so we could go outside and she could "compose herself".

We were fortunate to have few problems, but I'll never compare someone else's child with mine. -- when, over Labor Day weekend this year, some of the other parents were discussing the bad behavior of my BIL's grandson, I was just grateful that we had slept in the basement rec room and I could honestly say that I hadn't heard ANYthing at 4:50 that morning :D

. . . BUT when they were small, they knew what behavior would and would not be tolerated.

But, admit it, there were times when they would push that to the limit! :D

--------------------------------

Since we were all kids at one time or another, and since most of us on this thread are parents (and thus had kids of one age or another at one time or another) -- I think all of us can recall at least one time when you, a sibling, a cousin, a friend, another kid did something "bad".

I'm 47, but I remeber when I was in third grade, my mother had to take a class for her job. She had forgotten my school had early release. She called my aunt during a break in her class and so my aunt picked me up at school -- well I had already made other plans, and so sat down mid playground refusing to go with her. She had to carry me to her car and I of course cried all the way to her house! I was 8 or 9 years old and really DID "know better".

I know adults who are otherwise pretty nice people, who have just "lost it" and screamed at an airline employee, or a waitress, or whatever. There is a difference between a "bad person" and a person having a "bad day".

There is a difference between kid who is the result of "bad parenting" and a kid who is having a more difficult time dealing with the world than other kids (or one who might just be having a bad day).

When I see a parent struggling to help their child through a difficult situation, I empathize with that parent. When I see a kid running wild without parental guidence or with a parent who refuses to help that child, I feel sad for the child.

Speaking as the mother of a child who has (at least to this point) been pretty easy to deal with, I thank my lucky stars for her. Speaking as a "grown up" who did have some problems adjusting to the world around me, I thank goodness for a mom who was there to help me!

Dear ratherBcruizin',

Thank you so much for your reply! I love the t-shirt sayings! I would hate to put a visible lable on my child cause when he is being good it is so wonderful and I must tell you when an adult stranger does compliment my son or say something positive it feels so good because it is so far and few between, however I feel that if people just knew that he was autistic they wouldn't make these judgments and say rude comments to us, but I could be wrong!! Thanks hun!! I am just workign extra hard to work everything out and going to start making a book here soon on our cruise to help him get ready.. .yes it will take a year of prepping!! :) Jenn

I'm confused, are you also Larryory? I quoted him/her and agreed with him/her.

As to my secondary point -- I do not recall quoting you or referencing you at all. -- the example I gave was from nearly 30 years ago when I was working at a gift shop in college -- so unless you lived in the Appleton Wisconsin area in 1979 and had a little boy named Jonathon who climbed up glass shelves to throw crystal at his mother, you have NO reason to take any of MY comments personally!

But hey! whatever is going on and whatever the cause or underlying reasons - my point is that the kid and parents are ultimately responsible to deal with it. If my kid is having a meltdown, I am responsible to deal with it and part of that "dealing with it" is to minimize the impact of my child's behavior to the innocent bystanders around us.

When my DD was younger, we'd excuse ourselves from the table and go for a little walk when she was getting antsy while dining. She'd play with small toys and read books. Multiple times, I'd leave a shopping cart at customer service so we could go outside and she could "compose herself".

We were fortunate to have few problems, but I'll never compare someone else's child with mine. -- when, over Labor Day weekend this year, some of the other parents were discussing the bad behavior of my BIL's grandson, I was just grateful that we had slept in the basement rec room and I could honestly say that I hadn't heard ANYthing at 4:50 that morning :D

Onessa:

Sorry for the confusion. I was addressing bmgarity who had quoted what you said in a response directed at me. I was not stating that you made a comment to me. I was just clarifying (and aparently not well enought:o ) that I would not condone my child running around breaking things with a shrug but that my initial comment on this thread had nothing to do with this type of situation.

I think the t-shirts are a great fundraising idea for the Autism Speaks Autism Walk. Infact if you don't mind I just might steal those ideas. If you say OK I think I'll call the South Florida office and see who they think might give me a good deal on printing because 100% of the proceeds would go to the walk. I'm supposed to call them back anyway and I forgot. :p Yes I work (well volunteer) the walk every year.

Oh, I'd love to take credit for those sayings but I can't. On cafepress dot com they have pages and pages of autism related shirts. The two I mentioned are among my faves. I have no idea if there is any kind of copyright on them.

Jeni99, I know what you mean about the lable thing. We've had those same discussions.

Sorry, but you are assuming there are only the two ends of the spectrum. Just because people don't want to vacation with children, doesn't mean they hate children.

You say that it is up to the parents to keep their children from ruining other people's vacations, but seem to think that a child putting their hands in food on the buffet is no big deal or that a child screaming it's head off and disturbing everyone should be chalked up to just the behavior of an infant. Well, that's fine, YOU decided to have children so YOU are the one that has to adjust your behavior. YOU decided to bring YOUR children on a cruise, so you need to get up and leave the room when your child is crying, not expect others to just put up with it because "babies cry". You need to be extra careful your kid doesn't put their hands in other people's food. When people without children (many by happy choice) see you making that effort it makes all the difference.

Unfortunately in today's world, parents don't seem to realize often enough that having children requires a change in YOUR lifestyle. You seem to think that everyone needs to accomodate you. Flying in a plane for three hours with your screaming baby is NOT your right, perhaps you could drive to see Aunt Tilly and then your child's behavior will only effect you, not everyone on the plane. You think it's cute when your three year old tries to serve herself at the buffet. We see your kid sticking their dirty hands in food we are going to eat and spreading disease.

Bravo!

I am pregnant with our first child and would never dream of taking our kids on any type of trip like this until they are at least double digits in age. Yes, we had family vacations growing up, but they were usually something we could reasonably handle (camping, car trips to see the family, etc.). It wasn't until we were older and could appreciate where we were going that vacations became big and exciting. I don't see why others can't do the same.

Bravo!

I am pregnant with our first child and would never dream of taking our kids on any type of trip like this until they are at least double digits in age. Yes, we had family vacations growing up, but they were usually something we could reasonably handle (camping, car trips to see the family, etc.). It wasn't until we were older and could appreciate where we were going that vacations became big and exciting. I don't see why others can't do the same.

Let's see, I wonder if your mother had any choice for a family vacation at the time, would she have rather gone camping, on a car trip to see family, or on a cruise? Once you have your child and go on a car trip (where you'll still find plenty of people who will be muttering "I don't see why she doesn't raise that child the same as I do"), you let us know which you would rather do :) .

Since cruises are catering to children, clearly it's a vacation kids can reasonably handle. (I would submit that kids can't reasonably handle Disneyland in the summertime, with the lines and the heat!) And one reason I take my young children on wide-ranging vacations is I hope that the perspective will create adults who don't believe everyone else is supposed to do things the way they do.

Best,

Mia

Bravo!

Does this mean that A) you won't go on a cruise again until your kids are double digits in age, or B) you will go on cruises, but not take your kids? Both of those situations seem untenable to me personally. Cruises are perfect vehicles for family vacations. Maybe your outlook will change once you actually have that wonderful baby in your arms.

BTW, has anyone ever noticed that kids have a better appreciation of what moms do AFTER they get back from a cruise? Mine see that it takes two room stewards, two waiters, a captain, multiple chefs, and an entire kids club to do what mom does every day at home.

And BTW again, as a Celebrity cruiser I apologize for any X'ers out there who may intimate that Celebrity passengers are unfriendly towards children. We've never experienced any untoward behavior towards our kids, and they've been welcomed and well treated by both passengers and staff on Celebrity. It's our favorite line because of the manners and attitudes of those we've met on board.

Bravo!

Yep, everyone is a perfect mother before they have children.

No offense, let's wait and see how you feel about this until you are actually a mother. You may just find that you actually enjoy having your child share the world with you.

And BTW again, as a Celebrity cruiser I apologize for any X'ers out there who may intimate that Celebrity passengers are unfriendly towards children. We've never experienced any untoward behavior towards our kids, and they've been welcomed and well treated by both passengers and staff on Celebrity. It's our favorite line because of the manners and attitudes of those we've met on board.
Glad to hear it since my son will be going on his first Celebrity Cruise. Hopefully he will be better behaved then he is now because his 4 molars will be finished coming in. :eek: And yes the dentist confirmed they are all 4 coming in at the same time.

Dear ratherBcruizin',

Thank you so much for your reply! I love the t-shirt sayings! I would hate to put a visible lable on my child cause when he is being good it is so wonderful and I must tell you when an adult stranger does compliment my son or say something positive it feels so good because it is so far and few between, however I feel that if people just knew that he was autistic they wouldn't make these judgments and say rude comments to us, but I could be wrong!! Thanks hun!! I am just workign extra hard to work everything out and going to start making a book here soon on our cruise to help him get ready.. .yes it will take a year of prepping!! :) Jenn

My late mother became profoundly deaf in her 50s. A lot of people snapped to the judgement that she was ignoring them and thus was rude! She took to wearing a button that said "Speak clearly, I am hard of hearing"

Bravo!

I would never give up the trips I have taken with DD(10) and DS(13). Both of whom had their first plane ride at 6 months and have now been on 4 cruises starting when they were 4 and 7. My children love to travel and I have never had anyone complain about their behavior on a trip - because they never gave anyone anything to complain about. In fact, they were sometimes better behaved than the adults that were around us.

We take our children camping, on car trips, on plane trips, and on cruises. I love to see the world through their eyes. A lot of the times we are seeing places for the first time together. I did not travel much as a child and coming from a broken family did not get to go on "family vacations". I enjoy every moment of every "family vacation" we go on. My husband and I do sneak out for a long weekend alone sometimes. Every couple needs to do that. I have never regretted taking my children when they were younger on our trips. They may not remember everything, but I do. And they love watching videos of themselves taking these vacations. I've captured their memories on video for them.

Keep an open mind. You may find that your children are good travelers too. Why not let them enjoy the world and explore it with you.

Bravo!

I've never really understood the concept of only doing things when they can "appreciate" it.

My DD has traveled with us her whole life -- Does she "remember" her first visit to Yosemite at 8M or New Mexico at 3YO -- not really. Did the experiences she had there help her develop as a person -- of course. I just found some pictures of her at 8MO in the backpack on her father's back hiking the trails in Yosemite -- she was very expressive and was with people who loved her who were doing something they loved -- Wow, what better experience upon which to build your life! At three she was enamored with the letter "o" -- on her third birthday while exploring Mesa Verdi, she found a fossil in a rock that was shaped like an "o". While she may not remember the experience (other than through the picture we took) -- I will cherish that memory the rest of my life (she was just SO excited!).

Traveling (by ship, airline, car, train) with a child is not always easy -- but it is FUN! I can tell you from personal experience that helping keep my 3YO niece occupied on a cruise ship was much easier than keeping her occupied on the 3 hour trip to the airport OR the 3 hour flight! :D

We took my father on a cruise a few years back -- he was already diagnosed with moderate dementia. It was a little "work" keeping tabs on him and I can guarentee you he did not remember one iota of what happened to him even while we were still on board! It doesn't mean that it was not worthwhile to take him with us. I have fond memories, my DH has fond memories, and our DD (who at the time was STILL single digits) has fond memories of that trip and having Grandpa with us was a large reason why that trip was special.

Don't rush to limit your life and your child's life! Wait to see how you adapt and how he/she adapts to the world before you decide that a particular mode of travel is out of the question.

Good luck with your pregnancy - hope everything goes well. Congratulations!

Bravo!

Never say never. Your child might do better with the freedom of a cruise ship then a long car ride. Let me tell you listening to my son scream while he's strapped into his car seat for the 3 1/2 hour ride to Walt Disney World was horrid. And how about the 5 hour drive up I-95 in the pouring rain on a different car trip. Nope I think I'll take the cruise any day because to go visit family that would mean hmm driving 8 hours to 18 hours and more in the car. Can't wait to take him to meet all his family but just not worth the headache. As for camping I wish I could take my son because I loved it as a child, but I only enjoyed mountain camping growing up and that is not available near where I live.

Before you have a child you say a lot of things because you do a lot of reading and maybe you see what your friends do and you make up your mind. Reality is each child is born with a personality which sort of emerges with the different stages your child goes through and you as a parent will have to learn what your child's personality is and either decide to go with it or fight it. One will be easy and one will be hard.

Another way to put it is most new parents by the big fancy bulky travel system stroller. Then when their child outgrows the infant seat they soon regret that bulky & heavy stroller because when they use it they always bump into everything. I asked my neighbor why she didn't tell me not to get it and she said because all first time moms get it and you would have never listened to me. She's right I tried to warn my friend but she got the same stroller I did just in a different color.

Bravo!

Ok, I tried to ignore this but I just can't.

My family and I just got off the Conquest, unwillingly! We had an absolute blast. I can assure you traveling with children is a lot funner than traveling without them.

"Car trips to see family" is not something that is reasonable to handle. When you have a 14 hour car trip ahead of you there are way too many things to remember. One major thing is a porta potty because you know that the kids have to pee every hour whether you are ready for a break or not.

Your statement that said "it wasn't until we were older and could appreciate where we were going" has got to be the stupidest thing I have read in a while.

Do you, in all your parental wisdom, not think any of my 5 children did not "appreciate" where we were going because they are not in "double digits"?

Isn't it possible that my children were not only appreciative of this opportunity but also extremly excited? My children created a count down calendar to our cruise. We started with 120 days! Those kids knew what we were doing. When we finally got on the cruise they knew where we were, what we were going to do and how much fun we were going to have.

Everyone on our cruise complemented my children about how well their behavior was and how well they acted during the Muster Drill.

Just because you are pregnant with your first child does not make you an expert mother. I have 5 children and I am NOT an expert. However, I am a mother who takes her children out of school for a week so that they can appreciate a vacation that they will never forget no matter how old they are. My youngest keeps telling us he wants to go back on the "big boat" and "go to the beach". I believe he DOES have an appreciation!

Oh by the way... I have a daughter that is 7, boy,girl,boy triplets that are 5 and an adorable son that is 2!!!

Perhaps you plan on being one of those parents that keeps her little one on a dog leash and never really taking the time out to explain things.

That really is a shame because children remember more than you think and if not there are pictures and videos that show every moment. Besides, my husband and I will never forget this cruise and that is just as important!

Archived