Miami Hotels - safe areas??

KRD

I didn't read through all the other posts because you have a lot of responses, but I thought I'd give you my two cents since I just moved to Texas from Miami. I lived in Miami Lakes and always had family and friends stay the the Don Shula Hotel because of how safe the area is and the hotel prices are reasonable. It's a very nice area that's about a $50 cab ride from the port (or a $20 Super Shuttle ride) from the port. It's safe compared to most areas of Miami, too. The Don Shula Golf Resort is less expensive than the Don Shula Hotel. The only difference is that the Don Shula Hotel is right on Main Street and the Golf Resort is about two block away from Main Street.

Ok, so what's so bad about the monorail at night? Granted, I haven't experienced it, but I grew up in New York and rode the subway so I can't see Miami as much different.

We were told that there is a lot of criminal life that likes to hang out there at night. We were told that people are mugged, raped and robbed (not necessarily all at the same time) on the monrail at night. We have been told this by people that live in the area so I believe it. The hotel employees said they would not ride it at night.

Ok, so what's so bad about the monorail at night? Granted, I haven't experienced it, but I grew up in New York and rode the subway so I can't see Miami as much different.

look..i didn't love the monorail sometimes during the day...but you are from NY so you'd be ok...someone on another thread put it this way...i will paraphrase but it was sort of like if you are not comfortable being around people from a different class then maybe don't ride the monorail....it was just a couple days ago.....

frankly, the monorail cars need to be cleaner...that's a start......maybe since i was a female traveling alone i felt a little weird...but i ride all over DC and Chicago and have done so at all hours....maybe it's just a comfort thing...i don't know miami as well as i know DC.

just my thoughts, ymmv

We were told that there is a lot of criminal life that likes to hang out there at night. We were told that people are mugged, raped and robbed (not necessarily all at the same time) on the monrail at night. We have been told this by people that live in the area so I believe it. The hotel employees said they would not ride it at night.

i was told the same thing by hotel people.....

We stayed at the Downtown Courtyard Marriott on 2nd street. It's really about 5 or 6 blocks from Bayside and the only bad part is the 2 blocks from Biscayne to the hotel on 2nd street.

We didn't worry too much when we walked it as we live in Florida and have our own protection.

My recommendations on where to stay in the Miami area would generally be Miami Beach, which isn't far from the port (especially the South Beach area, if $ is no object) or Coconut Grove (very nice Hampton Inn a 5 minute cab ride from the "fun" district and a 10-15 minute cab ride to the port). But not with a 6 year old. The Holiday Inn isn't a palace (the nearby Intercontinental is much nicer but more $) but is OK, and Bayside is really just a glorified shopping mall, but fun, with scenic boat trips that originate there, and Jungle Island is a short cab ride away and a worthwhile way to spend a day with a young child.

Les

Yeah, I lived in Brooklyn for years and the Monorail in Miami makes it look like Disneyland! I would ride in Brooklyn to Manhattan at 3am, 4am, midnight, whatever and just be on the lookout. In Miami, they are on the lookout for you. Its like pickpockets in Times Square. They know that only locals or tourists are on the monorail at night so they are looking for a quick score or thrill:eek: .

Just the way its evolved, I guess.

By the way, I do really like Bayside. Its fun to shop and eat there, for sure. And my parents stayed at the Port and loved watching their ship coming in. I'm just trying to not sugarcoat things so that people can have a real expectation of where they are headed. Just like I would tell folks that would come to visit me in NYC. I personally feel Miami is more predatory, but thats just me.

Wherever you go I'm sure you will have a great time. If you can get close to the port it would probably be really fun for you both to watch your ship.

The Holiday Inn Port of Miami is directly across the street from Bayside Marketplace. About a 2 minute walk in a well lit area with a lot of people.

Probably the safest place to stay.

Hey, Paul. How are you and Judy doing these days? I had e-mail from Deb and Joe last week.

I'm with Paul on the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. We stayed there in December. We walked across the street with a crowd of people to Bayside Marketplace, ate at Bubba Gump's, then walked the length of the mall. We were pleasantly surprised when we saw the boat parade-boats decorated with Christmas lights. We were told it only happens one night a year. We made sure we were aware of what was going on around us, but I never felt afraid.

I woke up about 3:30am, looked out the window, and there she was sailing up to the turn-around basin. The Freedom looked like a sparkling Jewel against the night time sky. It was exciting to know we would be boarding her in a few hours.

It was a $25 cab ride from the airport to motel, $10 motel to the pier, and $25 from pier back to airport.

Have fun on your stay in Miami, and enjoy your cruise.

The double tree is probley the best its about 5 min drive from the boat and there is every thing you wounld want in a hotel so once u get there u don’t have to leave 4-5 resturants a coffee bar, art galleries and other nice stuff. The blue moon restaurant serves the best ny strip I have ever had. U cant go wrong

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Bayside, and really felt safe. I am currently booked to stay there in 10 days, but am looking maybe to switch. The reason why is our flight time was changed that we don't arrive in Miami until midnight! Has anyone ever stayed at the Howard Johnson by the airport? I figure, it is closer to the airport and since we have such a late arrival, all we need is a place to sleep! I appreciate any comments.

Thanks

I tried to book this hotel for our first cruise in Feb but they are having a convention or something and don't have any rooms left, so it's back to the drawing board for us. I wish Feb wasn't such a peak time because it seems all the bayside hotels cost a fortune for one night.:eek:

oK - First thing's first - its not called the monorail, its the Metromover.

Secondly, its not recomended during the night since its very lonely and us locals never really take it at night...so yes a lot of lowlife/criminal and sceevy type people will mostly be hanging in the area. With the exception of the Brickell stops. Downtown is still going through a transformation and its not a heavily populated area at night and weekends. During the day shouldn't be a problem, i've taken it at random times in the day and its completely fine.

Third - The airport area is not really a great area to stay in since its very industrial and not very many places to go to within walking distance. Its not dangerous in any way, but I would say BORING.

Secondly, its not recomended during the night since its very lonely and us locals never really take it at night...so yes a lot of lowlife/criminal and sceevy type people will mostly be hanging in the area. With the exception of the Brickell stops. Downtown is still going through a transformation and its not a heavily populated area at night and weekends. During the day shouldn't be a problem, i've taken it at random times in the day and its completely fine.

Third - The airport area is not really a great area to stay in since its very industrial and not very many places to go to within walking distance. Its not dangerous in any way, but I would say BORING.

I would feel perfectly safe walking around Coral Gables or Coconut Grove at night by myself. South Beach is a different story.

Comparing New York to Miami is like comparing apples to oranges. Miami has a much higher crime rate as New York is the safest large city in the country.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004902.html

I would feel perfectly safe walking around Coral Gables or Coconut Grove at night by myself. South Beach is a different story.

Comparing New York to Miami is like comparing apples to oranges. Miami has a much higher crime rate as New York is the safest large city in the country.

I agree!! New york is another animal and is in no way comparable to Miami. I feel completely safe walking around NY in the middle of the night.

South Beach - its ok as long as you stay on the heavily populated areas such as Washington, Collins and Ocean Drive where most people flock to and are up until the wee hours. Anywhere else on South beach is not reccomended.

We are just spending the night there, so boring is fine with us.

Thanks!

Hey who knows, you might be able to walk a 5 minute mile and a half...lol. ;)

:eek: It really is a mile and a half! Either we all walked super fast (we all hike pretty quickly though) or my time judgment was skewed just a "wee" bit because of all the laughing and talking going on. Honestly, it seemed like we just took a short stroll so I didn't believe any of you.

Then I pulled up Google Maps... I can hang my head in shame now... :(

Yeah, I lived in Brooklyn for years and the Monorail in Miami makes it look like Disneyland! I would ride in Brooklyn to Manhattan at 3am, 4am, midnight, whatever and just be on the lookout. In Miami, they are on the lookout for you. Its like pickpockets in Times Square. They know that only locals or tourists are on the monorail at night so they are looking for a quick score or thrill:eek: .

Just the way its evolved, I guess.

Wow... I'm like you; I'm aware of my surroundings when traveling in Brooklyn or the Bronx, but from all the messages here, it seems that Miami is worse. Pardon me for coming off as skeptical; I certainly wasn't trying to argue -- but I've heard from hotel employees to not walk around certain areas in Chicago or Seattle when I went there on business, but I did so anyway. It probably just comes down to a tolerance and comfort level thing.

:eek: It really is a mile and a half! Either we all walked super fast (we all hike pretty quickly though) or my time judgment was skewed just a "wee" bit because of all the laughing and talking going on. Honestly, it seemed like we just took a short stroll so I didn't believe any of you.

Then I pulled up Google Maps... I can hang my head in shame now... :(

and you thought i was pickin on you yesterday!! heeheehee...:D

I remember Coral Gables; that was a fun area to walk. I don't know why you feel different about South Beach though, because I felt just as safe there as if I was walking in my backyard. Granted -- there were a few crackheads that passed by, but that made for more entertaining people watching that anything else. There was even a guy walking back and forth carrying a hockey stick. Must've lost his way to the arena...

Is it just me or are the folks on South Beach just a tad bit pretentious? It seemed that people were always checking you out -- sizing you up to see where you rank versus themselves. For a moment there, I thought I was in L.A. :p

I agree!! New york is another animal and is in no way comparable to Miami. I feel completely safe walking around NY in the middle of the night.

South Beach - its ok as long as you stay on the heavily populated areas such as Washington, Collins and Ocean Drive where most people flock to and are up until the wee hours. Anywhere else on South beach is not reccomended.

Ah, ok -- I was in party district. Fair enough...

Archived