Informal night- jacket??

billsbrowneyedgirl

We were on the Infinity sailing to Alaska on July 1 this year. From what I saw, and I know I will probably get flamed for this, no jacket is required.

The "guidelines" state that a jacket is required, and some men did wear jackets on the first informal night. By the second informal night, more men were dressed in what I would have considered casual clothing.

We wore suits with ties and pocket squares....

The only place that you would require a jacket is if you decide to dine in the specialty restaurant that evening. They are sticklers for dress code there. With that being said, our server in the specialty restaurant told us that they had jackets "on hand" to drape over the back of a gentlemens chair should he not wear his own.

Personally, I like to dress up, but your husband will not be out of place or refused entrance to the dining room if he doesn't have a jacket on. If he's comfortable, then that's all that counts.

Peter

the dresscode is for the whole ship so even in the specialty restuarant you are requested to wear a jacket. still though no one will say anything to your husband for not wearing one.

What disapointed me on this last cruise is many dressed down for the shows, My husband and I didn't, we stayed dressed as we dressed for dinner. I am used to that on lines like Carnival, RCI, and Disney, but I expected better of Celebrity, people stayed dressed on one HAL cruise and most stayed dressed on Princess, and even our little Celebrity Zenith 5 day cruise, and as Celebrity is a nicer line then Princess, I would have thought people would have been at least done as they had on Princess. I did not expect it took look more like Carnival and RCI did at the shows.

If it says "jacket required" then your hubby should wear a jacket. Why should my husband have to wear one and not yours. Besides, it feels good to get dressed up once in awhile. I agree though with the other posts re: dressing down for the nightclub shows. If it is formal night, only those dressed formally should be allowed into the nightclub. I don't like to stay dressed up and then be seated next to someone wearing jeans and a sweatshirt.

I agree. If you don't want to follow the dress codes, find another cruise line. I always wear a jacket and tie on informal nights and take it as a sign of disrespect when someone sits down at my table improperly dressed.

On the Summit last month there were signs at all of the entrances to the dining room describing the dress code for the evening. Celebrity leaves it up to the passengers to police themselves as I'm sure the cruise line does not want to be heavy handed or create uncomfortable situations. Unfortunately some people just don't get it.

A three nighter was 2 casual and 1 FORMAL night.

The second night everyone was in a dark suit or tuxedo, I didn't see anyone at second seating that was not in compliance.

With this new dumbing down of the dress code and simply asking for a jacket, I knew this kind of slippery slope would open up and further degrade the dress code.

Next it'll be coveralls and wifebeaters.

Its bad enough men complain about wearing a tie......

If the line has policies that you don't agree with, do your research and find a line that fits in with your lifestyle.......Don't just feel you can do what you want and not only disrespect the cruiseline, but the passengers that are following the dress code.

IMHO

Dave:eek:

Man, what is with so many people on this board flaming others for asking a question.--I was asking a question, not stating I will or will not comply with dress code. To go to the point of suggestion another cruise line-just because some one asks a question!!!

I have noticed it so much on this site, it's very sad actually.

Thanks to those of you who nicely answered my question. :D

A three nighter was 2 casual and 1 FORMAL night.

The second night everyone was in a dark suit or tuxedo, I didn't see anyone at second seating that was not in compliance.

With this new dumbing down of the dress code and simply asking for a jacket, I knew this kind of slippery slope would open up and further degrade the dress code.

Next it'll be coveralls and wifebeaters.

Its bad enough men complain about wearing a tie......

If the line has policies that you don't agree with, do your research and find a line that fits in with your lifestyle.......Don't just feel you can do what you want and not only disrespect the cruiseline, but the passengers that are following the dress code.

IMHO

Dave:eek:

I will not be wearing a jacket on non-formal nights.

If you don't like that don't sit at my table.

I'll be easy to spot.

I'll be the one without the jacket:)

IMHO

We have not yet sailed Celebrity, so we reviewed Celebrity FAQ's on their website which says, " On informal nights, men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and slacks, No jeans, while women may want to wear a suit or dress." We will dress according to their request, not what folks on CC say we can get by with, or what they plan to do.

It is beyond me why this is even a topic here. IMHO, Celebrity has rules, so they should be followed. And I don't think it is flaming to suggest that someone should consider another cruise line to someone who doesn't want to comply with published cruise line suggestions.

Man, what is with so many people on this board flaming others for asking a question.--I was asking a question, not stating I will or will not comply with dress code. To go to the point of suggestion another cruise line-just because some one asks a question!!!

Look at any thread that mentions anything about what to wear - extremely strong opinions. Sorry you were offended. I find it ironic how the attitude of some people who cruise an "upscale" or "premium" cruise line could have such an attitude- it doesn't seem congruent with the upscale/premium clientele the line is apparently trying to market to. Maybe that is telling :-)

I will not be wearing a jacket on non-formal nights.

If you don't like that don't sit at my table.

I'll be easy to spot.

I'll be the one without the jacket:)

IMHO

And my hubby will be right next to you, Shipyard Cruiser! :D He will be wearing the long sleeve button-up shirt with tie and dockers....He wore this on our last cruise on informal nites....

And Lo and Behold, can you believe he was not shunned or stoned by the rest of the passengers?! ;)

I'm sorry if you feel a bit 'singed'.;) And I assure you, dress codes are a sensitive issue on ALL the Boards not just the X Boards.

I understand wanting to keep your luggage light, heck I even understand the original question.:D Here's my very humble opinion. I ALWAYS recommend following the dress code as requested by the cruise line. That being said... No one is going to think it's the end of the world if your hubby goes sans jacket.;) Of course it can also be argued that it won't be the end of the packing world to add a single jacket to your luggage.:o Did I make that murky enough for you?;) Sorry!

I see your cruise is late this month - WHATEVER you wear, I hope you have a FANTASTIC cruise!

Happy cruising!

Denise

And my hubby will be right next to you, Shipyard Cruiser! :D He will be wearing the long sleeve button-up shirt with tie and dockers....He wore this on our last cruise on informal nites....

And Lo and Behold, can you believe he was not shunned or stoned by the rest of the passengers?! ;)

The big problem is that Celebrity do not police the dress code. Only a very small percentage of cruisers ever see these boards and so often do what they like.

When last on the Millennium from Barcelona, we saw spanish girls on Formal night in jeans and not a word said by the staff.

I guess it's just a losing battle. There are two posters on this very thread who know the that there are dress codes and openly and proudly disregard them.

It's all part of the "ME" generation. It's a break down of social responsibility and respect for others.

I guess it's just a losing battle. There are two posters on this very thread who know the that there are dress codes and openly and proudly disregard them.

It's all part of the "ME" generation. It's a responsibility.

I really don't need anyone to preach to me about social responsibility and respect for others.

I did 22 years in the Navy and know all about dress codes and responsibility and proper conduct.

How I dress is really not anyones problem but mine.

It's just dinner on vacation, and has nothing to do with social responsibility or respect for others.

And I don't even know what the "ME" generation is. I'm 57 years old, maybe I'm part of the "old" generation.

Archived