Informal night- jacket??

billsbrowneyedgirl

That's it!!! HONESTLY! If you guys aren't going to be more reasonable and take the dress code seriously, then I'm not going to take it seriously anymore either! No more ties and tuxes for me! Oh wait....I'm a girl:eek:...I (generally) don't wear those anyway. Shucks!:rolleyes: I guess that let the wind out of my tirade.;):D

OK. OK. I'm just kidding.:p I'll still scrupulously stick to the requested dress code - I like it. I think everyone looks nice in all their finery! But please don't tell me that means we can't be friends or that we can never sit together! I promise I won't exclude you for not wearing a tie/jacket/tux, if you won't exclude me for wearing every last bead/bangle/sequin I can find - I like the Christmas tree effect!:D

Happy cruising!

Denise

I really don't need anyone to preach to me about social responsibility and respect for others.

I did 22 years in the Navy and know all about dress codes and responsibility and proper conduct.

How I dress is really not anyones problem but mine.

It's just dinner on vacation, and has nothing to do with social responsibility or respect for others.

And I don't even know what the "ME" generation is. I'm 57 years old, maybe I'm part of the "old" generation.

I am younger....But, it's really not about the "Me" generation....My hubby is a larger man (broad across the shoulder though he never really lost any of our pregnancy weight from 15 years ago :o ) and I am tired of buying clothes for him from Omar the Tentmaker (now, now calm down; it's a JOKE! :cool: )

But, seriously, he likes dressing up and wears the "required" dark suit with different shirts and ties on formal night.....He does clean up nicely ;) ....But, he is REALLY not comfortable in a jacket so we feel that the button-up shirt and tie with slacks is acceptable....He looks good; and does it really matter as I look Fantastic! :p (and no I don't wear the traditional "Gowns" on formal nite as it's just not my style....I have a lovely oufit with lepoard print accents and tails & fancy slacks with beaded/sparkly tops) Ah, but I digress....I am sailing on the Connie next month so I have been going through my "cruise" clothes! :D I wear a dress or skirt on informal night so we look nice together (at least I think so!)....

I believe dressing up (whatever your definition is!) makes you feel good about yourself (& partner)......This inspires confidence and a general feeling of "Life is Good!"....Especially on a Cruise!! It really doesn't get much better than that!:rolleyes:

Pete,

I thought I had convinced you recently on a different--and yet so similar--thread, that you were...if not "wrong", then maybe not "right". Wasn't it this issue? Wasn't it I? Wasn't it you?:rolleyes:

Do largely the same people say substantially the same things over and over on different threads because they (we) don't remember having just said them to someone else (or, more likely, to one another)?

None of us is exactly shaking the earth, here.

At least I managed to post without repeating my same old argument in response to your same old argument.:D

Kent

I am younger....But, it's really not about the "Me" generation....My hubby is a larger man (broad across the shoulder though he never really lost any of our pregnancy weight from 15 years ago :o ) and I am tired of buying clothes for him from Omar the Tentmaker (now, now calm down; it's a JOKE! :cool: )

But, seriously, he likes dressing up and wears the "required" dark suit with different shirts and ties on formal night.....He does clean up nicely ;) ....But, he is REALLY not comfortable in a jacket so we feel that the button-up shirt and tie with slacks is acceptable....He looks good; and does it really matter as I look Fantastic! :p (and no I don't wear the traditional "Gowns" on formal nite as it's just not my style....I have a lovely oufit with lepoard print accents and tails & fancy slacks with beaded/sparkly tops) Ah, but I digress....I am sailing on the Connie next month so I have been going through my "cruise" clothes! :D I wear a dress or skirt on informal night so we look nice together (at least I think so!)....

I believe dressing up (whatever your definition is!) makes you feel good about yourself (& partner)......This inspires confidence and a general feeling of "Life is Good!"....Especially on a Cruise!! It really doesn't get much better than that!:rolleyes:

And I always dess up on formal ina nice suit and tie.

And on all other nights I wear a dress shirt and dress slacks, no jacket, no tie. Always seems right and I do not feel out of place at all.

Don't really understand the big deal, but hay it's Cruse Critic...where everything is a big deal.

And I always dess up on formal ina nice suit and tie.

And aon all other nights I wear a dress shirt and dress slacks, no jacket, no tie. Always seems right and I do not feel out of place at all.

Don't really understand the big deal, but hay it's Cruse Critic...where everything is a big deal.

But, on casual nights, hubby wears a nice Polo & Dockers....As long as he smells good, I am okay with it! :eek:

Pete,

I thought I had convinced you recently on a different--and yet so similar--thread, that you were...if not "wrong", then maybe not "right". Wasn't it this issue? Wasn't it I? Wasn't it you?:rolleyes:

Do largely the same people say substantially the same things over and over on different threads because they (we) don't remember having just said them to someone else (or, more likely, to one another)?

None of us is exactly shaking the earth, here.

At least I managed to post without repeating my same old argument in response to your same old argument.:D

Kent

Nothing personal but:D

If you don't like the same old thing over and over then here are a couple of tips.

First don't read the thread, it works really well for me.

If you do read it, don't respond.

Block my screen name, I block a few and it works really well.

Thanks, Jinx, but I have no problem with Pete, and didn't mean to create one.

Thanks for the tips, Pete. Gee, I hope I will never find it necessary to block another poster.

Kent;)

I agree.

But sometimes the "Keyboard Cowboys" just get to be too much.

I had to also change my screen name as I had two people who would post really personal insults every time I posted anything.

I see all of this banter back and forth and even some hostility all over a suit jacket.

Can I ask why, that if men are expected to follow the dress code to the T, why are there so many women that dont?

If it's a formal night and the gentlemen are expected to wear tuxedo's why are all the women not in ball gowns? On informal nights if dark suit with tie is expected of the gentlemen, why then are the all of the women not in proper cocktail dresses?

It seems that more and more women think that a scary Vegas styled sequined top with a pair of slacks or some god awful pant suit is ok for formal and informal nights.

Ladies, haul out the gowns and cocktail dresses and maybe your beau's won't mind throwing on a jacket once in a while.

OK...ready, aim, fire!!!!!!!

Peter

I see all of this banter back and forth and even some hostility all over a suit jacket.

Can I ask why, that if men are expected to follow the dress code to the T, why are there so many women that dont?

If it's a formal night and the gentlemen are expected to wear tuxedo's why are all the women not in ball gowns? On informal nights if dark suit with tie is expected of the gentlemen, why then are the all of the women not in proper cocktail dresses?

It seems that more and more women think that a scary Vegas styled sequined top with a pair of slacks or some god awful pant suit is ok for formal and informal nights.

Ladies, haul out the gowns and cocktail dresses and maybe your beau's won't mind throwing on a jacket once in a while.

OK...ready, aim, fire!!!!!!!

Peter

Don't you know that you can be blinded or take an eye out with those sequins! I've seen it; it's not Pretty! :D

Though, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the men in them, too! Bright Shiny Objects! :p

In the end, it really is a personal choice....I don't think that there are many people anymore (with the commercials & so MANY of us cruising!) that don't understand the point of dining in a formal dining room with all of your "shipmates" and great waiters!.....We all want to look good, don't we? :rolleyes: Okay, some more than others, I will concede!

Right back at ya! ;):D

Pete,

Maybe some of those people who can't seem to help going overboard should go just there.:D

Kent

HEY, do I need to put you two in separate corners for a "Time Out"?! :eek:

I am ready for the Martini's....Back on a related subject......Since the boys aren't playing nice......:(

LADIES (Or Very Stylish Men) - How many pairs of shoes would you bring on an 11-Day cruise in the Caribbean?:confused:

Just returned from the Constellation transatlantic, our first CEL cruise (we are diamond plus on RCI). TA cruises usually carry a large percentage of seasoned cruisers, and this was no exception. However, there were lots of men in the dining room during "informal" nights when a jacket was mentioned in the dress code (no ties required) who had on polo type shirts and slacks. Also, there were many people, both male and female, wearing jeans, and no one from CEL said anything to them.

Also, momofmeg mentioned that a lot of people changed after dinner to go to the shows. I think some of those folks ate in the buffet restaurant to avoid doing formal nights (or maybe to avoid informal nights, also). if they weren't dressed up for dinner, they weren't dressed up for the show, but that was their choice to avail themselves of the buffet dining (or maybe in room dining).

My DH wore a jacket and tie to informal night, a tux to formal nights and polo shirts and dockers to casual nights, as did the other men at our table, so we did follow the dress code (and we do whenever we sail).

Since this was our first CEL cruise, I expected to see a lot more compliance with the dress code, but that was not the case.

I'm just reporting what I saw, not what I think, so no flames.:)

Just got back from the 13 nite Mediterranean cruise with Celebrity Millenium. Our travel agent told us my husband wouldn't need a jacket but I was disappointed that he didn't bring one along. There were a few men who didn't wear jackets or suits on informal nite but they were in the minority. Pack the jacket and feel properly attired.

Just returned from the Constellation transatlantic, our first CEL cruise (we are diamond plus on RCI). TA cruises usually carry a large percentage of seasoned cruisers, and this was no exception. However, there were lots of men in the dining room during "informal" nights when a jacket was mentioned in the dress code (no ties required) who had on polo type shirts and slacks. Also, there were many people, both male and female, wearing jeans, and no one from CEL said anything to them.

Also, momofmeg mentioned that a lot of people changed after dinner to go to the shows. I think some of those folks ate in the buffet restaurant to avoid doing formal nights (or maybe to avoid informal nights, also). if they weren't dressed up for dinner, they weren't dressed up for the show, but that was their choice to avail themselves of the buffet dining (or maybe in room dining).

My DH wore a jacket and tie to informal night, a tux to formal nights and polo shirts and dockers to casual nights, as did the other men at our table, so we did follow the dress code (and we do whenever we sail).

Since this was our first CEL cruise, I expected to see a lot more compliance with the dress code, but that was not the case.

I'm just reporting what I saw, not what I think, so no flames.:)

Outstanding.

Nice to see common sense rules the day:D

"Outstanding.

Nice to see common sense rules the day:D"

I guess that would explain the dishonerable dischage for lack of compliance? (facts aren't hard to check):D

Glad to see that your are SO HAPPY with non-compliance.....maybe thats why our military is in such trouble.

Westshores: Thank you for your common sense and bringing us back to reality and 'social responsibility' :)

Dave :eek:

peteranddan - Finally! I've always wondered why the debate centers around mens clothing. We women get away with just about anything. I think womens clothing is much more subjective. I don't mean to be a sexist with that statement - it's a generalization. I can actually see in my minds eye, a gentleman being turned away from the dr for his attire, but a woman? I don't think so. Unfair? Of course!:o

You also mentioned, what amounts to, 'fashion'... OK. I joke about dressing like a Christmas tree (imagine a 5'6" Christmas tree with tawny colored hair instead of a star on top!:eek:), however, generally, I don't. But as an ex 'Pageant girl', the urge to wear tiaras and beads is very strong, so sometimes, I figure, what the heck, live a little (alright...I don't wear tiaras...in public...much;)). But I do wear full length gowns/skirts (silk is my fav) on formal nite. Speaking as the unofficial, unelected, and unsupported representative of the ladies in sparkly tops.... Where's your sense of 'DAZZLE'?! I think they/we all look very lovely. Maybe you should try a bit of 'sparkle' and 'dazzle'. It can be addicting!;):p

Happy cruising!

Denise

I always wear a jacket, shirt and tie, etc., on informal nights.

Nothing on Celebrity's website or printed material that I can find mentions a tie on informal night. Just jacket, shirt and slacks. Hey, if they have to specify "shirt", if a tie were "requested" (wording per the dress code on their website) it would obviously also have been mentioned.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=00001YvkDeV01QK5Lu_fdyS7A0s:12h3rnd1c?faqSubjectName=Dress+Codes&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

I wish I could help you with your shoes for an 11 nite cruise, but...

"Hi. My name is Denise, and I'm a shoeaholic.":rolleyes:

Let me give you an example. I decided to use a pale yellow silk/chiffon dress for an informal nite. The yellow dress needed the appropriate shoes, shawl, handbag, and jewelry, which I, of course, took with me on the cruise. It was the ONLY yellow outfit I took and I took a pair of shoes JUST for 1 dress, for 1 nite!:eek::rolleyes: I have a rule - make sure every item you pack can go with at least 2 outfits - I don't apply that rule to shoes....EVER!;)

Happy cruising!:)

Denise

spacer.gif Evening Dress Codes

Celebrity's evening dress codes include three types: formal, casual and informal. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate evening attire.

Formal Night Attire

Ladies: Evening gown or fancy dress

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit

Informal Night Attire

Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse

Gentlemen: Jacket and tie with slacks

Casual Night Attire

Ladies: Pantsuit or sporty outfit

Gentlemen: Sport shirt and slacks

Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm. Evening dress codes apply to both main restaurant dining as well as specialty restaurant dining*.

spacer.gif Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés. spacer.gif Renting formalwear

Formal evenings call for formal attire. Arrange for tailored, elegant formalwear to be delivered directly to your stateroom with Cruiseline Formalwear. With an elegant line of eveningwear for ladies and classic, stylish formalwear for men, you'll look as famous as you feel. To order, visit www.cruiselineformal.com spacer.gif Formal Nights

Celebrity Cruises' elegant, formal evenings include the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner, the Captain's Farewell Dinner, and a third or fourth "formal" night for those cruises sailing more than seven nights. Eveningwear should be planned for according to the length of your cruise. The following schedule outlines the number of formal nights you'll enjoy:

Archived