Informal night- jacket??

billsbrowneyedgirl

I tried to stay out of this but I just couldn't.

To me a jacket without a tie looks more dressy than a shirt and tie without a jacket. In fact, the tie and no jacket look reminds me of a car salesman or a computer geek.

Sorry, just my thoughts.

I usually wear a jacket and tie...sometimes no tie, but always a jacket.

Regards

Okay, its time to have a come to J---- talk.

Regarding Peter and Dan......No need to explain sequins...we as a people understand ( and wear frequently ).:D snap, snap, snap.....

(BTW: personally I feel the sparkley tops with the dark pants and skirts are more HOLIDAY than formal...please don't hate me.....)

As for the shoes comment. I just posted a thread.

Okay SHOE queen, I need a pair of mens formal patent leather that are in the style of Bobby Darrin, Sammy Davis and Frank Sinatra. Size 11 or 12 depending on width, 1/2 " heels and thin leather soles...not to mention pointed, not rounded or square toed.

Lastly, as for the Christmas tree comment.....

being a Pagan ( I celebrate Yule and Candlemas....). The Christmas tree effect and tiara fit in perfectly....

Sit at my table please!!!!!

Dave:eek:

CatServants

While the website may say that ties are required, here is the wording from the Celebrity Today dated Tuesday, September 18, 2007

This evening's dress code: Informal

Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse

Gentlemen: Jacket, slacks, no jeans

Does not mention that a tie is required. Since the website mentions that the daily program will be the guide to the appropriate evening attire, I have to believe that ties are no longer required on "Informal" evenings. (At least this was the case on the Connie transatlantic last week)

This wording was used for all 3 "informal" nights.

Okay, its time to have a come to J---- talk.

Regarding Peter and Dan......No need to explain sequins...we as a people understand ( and wear frequently ).:D snap, snap, snap.....

(BTW: personally I feel the sparkley tops with the dark pants and skirts are more HOLIDAY than formal...please don't hate me.....)

As for the shoes comment. I just posted a thread.

Okay SHOE queen, I need a pair of mens formal patent leather that are in the style of Bobby Darrin, Sammy Davis and Frank Sinatra. Size 11 or 12 depending on width, 1/2 " heels and thin leather soles...not to mention pointed, not rounded or square toed.

Lastly, as for the Christmas tree comment.....

being a Pagan ( I celebrate Yule and Candlemas....). The Christmas tree effect and tiara fit in perfectly....

Sit at my table please!!!!!

Dave - You ARE, as ever, the man of my dreams!!!:)

The very fact that you "NEED" patent leather shoes (sooo "IN" right now!) rather than "want" them....need I say more?!;)

And as for sparkle tops and dark bottoms - I agree. It is more of a "Holiday" look (I remember my mother going to many a New Years party in those fun and fancy tops), but I'm all about a 'Fiesta'.:D I have a black bugle bead full length tulip skirt - too heavy to pack for a flight - but it looks great with a tiara!;)

Denise

CatServants

While the website may say that ties are required, here is the wording from the Celebrity Today dated Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Does not mention that a tie is required. Since the website mentions that the daily program will be the guide to the appropriate evening attire, I have to believe that ties are no longer required on "Informal" evenings. (At least this was the case on the Connie transatlantic last week)

This wording was used for all 3 "informal" nights.

billsgal - I wasn't passing judgment - I guess I should have typed something rather than just copying from the X site.:o

I believe that ties aren't mentioned in many places on the X site and in the daily program. I've just been on a 'factual information' roll the past couple of days. By that I mean, I've been enjoying giving people factual info rather than just boring them with my stories and my silly opinions.:) So...it took me ~3-5 minutes to find that quote on the X site. Make of it what you will. I don't discriminate against those who don't wear ties/tuxes.....men in tiger print Speedo g-strings however...? Well, I guess that depends on the man!;)

Happy cruising!

Denise

spacer.gif Evening Dress Codes

Celebrity's evening dress codes include three types: formal, casual and informal. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate evening attire.

Formal Night Attire

Ladies: Evening gown or fancy dress

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit

Informal Night Attire

Gentlemen: Jacket and tie with slacks

Casual Night Attire

Ladies: Pantsuit or sporty outfit

Gentlemen: Sport shirt and slacks

Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm. Evening dress codes apply to both main restaurant dining as well as specialty restaurant dining*.

spacer.gif Before Six

Dining options abound aboard Celebrity. For breakfast and lunch, jeans, shorts and casual daywear are allowed in all dining venues before 6:00pm. After 6:00pm, this attire is allowed only in casual restaurants and cafés. spacer.gif Renting formalwear

Formal evenings call for formal attire. Arrange for tailored, elegant formalwear to be delivered directly to your stateroom with Cruiseline Formalwear. With an elegant line of eveningwear for ladies and classic, stylish formalwear for men, you'll look as famous as you feel. To order, visit www.cruiselineformal.com spacer.gif Formal Nights

Celebrity Cruises' elegant, formal evenings include the Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party and Dinner, the Captain's Farewell Dinner, and a third or fourth "formal" night for those cruises sailing more than seven nights. Eveningwear should be planned for according to the length of your cruise. The following schedule outlines the number of formal nights you'll enjoy:

They tell you one thing before you leave then something different once on board. Sounds like bait and switch to me :D .

Its LEOPARD print, and breakaway......(really, you twist the snaps and schwap...it flys across the room...really :D ).

Unfortunately it looked REALLY bad with the thigh high support hose I had to wear after my vericose vein procedure....true story. ( no kidding ).

Fortunately I was still able to 'moon' people after I broke my pelvis and back in the horseback accident two years ago...I'd post a picture, but I'm on my last leg and not willing to be banned again:cool: .

Its LEOPARD print, and breakaway......(really, you twist the snaps and schwap...it flys across the room...really :D ).

Unfortunately it looked REALLY bad with the thigh high support hose I had to wear after my vericose vein procedure....true story. ( no kidding ).

Fortunately I was still able to 'moon' people after I broke my pelvis and back in the horseback accident two years ago...I'd post a picture, but I'm on my last leg and not willing to be banned again:cool: .

I stand corrected...leopard AND breakaway...Heavens!!!:D Sorry about the vericose vein proceedure, (all better now?). I'm sure the hose were...ahem...lovely!;)

I laughed out loud at the beginning of your post but then was saddened when you reminded me of your riding accident. I've read about it on the Boards before. I think it's a demonstration of your character and grace that you didn't let your injuries damage your inner joy. Take care, my friend.:)

Denise

CatServants

Does not mention that a tie is required.

Well, it doesn't mention that a shirt is required, and somehow, we know it is. (Hmm...tie, jacket, no shirt....CHIPPENDALES!!! Now I KNOW you would be stopped at the door if you arrived for dinner dressed like that!!) ;)

IMHO, there are two real contributors to all this confusion...

1. the discrepancy between the wording on the website and the wording on the daily program delivered to your room and
  2. the use of the word "informal".

For (1) Celebrity really needs to use the same language EVERYWHERE, when talking about the dress code. Would relieve SO many headaches.

For (2)....

If I were to invite you to a social event, and I said "Please join us. It's going to be an informal evening", would you think that men were required to wear a jacket, shirt and tie? (...Uh, pants, of course, are a given.) I really don't think you would. So people should be forgiven if they interpret "informal" in a variety of ways.

When it comes to communicating expectations, a good rule of thumb is "say what you mean, and mean what you say".

Celebrity should decide what message they INTEND to convey, then pick a term that is more readily understood by the widest group of their target audience.

"Semi-formal" was a term that was very well understood not so many years ago, but it is rarely used any more. "Formal" in this day and age is often interpreted to be what "semi-formal" was in earlier years, so I don't think that term is going to be of any help.

Royal Caribbean uses "formal", "smart casual" and "casual". I don't know if this would help in Celebrity's case. Plus, the juxtaposition of the last two designations is pretty funny if you think about it.:rolleyes:

"Country club casual" is well understood by many, but is seen as "elitist" by some. However, it is pretty clear that a tie is NOT required in this case, and that a jacket is optional. I know this is not what some of our Celebrity cruisers want to see as the intermediate dress code.

What about "business casual"? Kind of counterintuitive for a cruise dress code.

I'm going to suggest "dressy casual". Not an elegant descriptor, but I think most people would understand it. Append the appropriate "no-jeans" clause.

One of you clever people that knows how to post a poll might think about constructing one around the language used to describe the intermediate (not formal, not casual) dress code. There must be some other good options out there.

In terms of "enforcement", I don't think rigid enforcement is desirable in an environment such as Celebrity's ships. If Celebrity states its dress code expectations clearly, and tries to handle flagrant abuses tactfully, I think the rest of us can use our common sense and good manners.

(...getting down off her soapbox now :o )

"Outstanding.

Nice to see common sense rules the day:D"

I guess that would explain the dishonerable dischage for lack of compliance? (facts aren't hard to check):D

What does that mean?

Were you ever in the military?

Or just out defending the dress code:D

CatServants

Does not mention that a tie is required.

Well, it doesn't mention that a shirt is required, and somehow, we know it is. (Hmm...tie, jacket, no shirt....CHIPPENDALES!!! Now I KNOW you would be stopped at the door if you arrived for dinner dressed like that!!) ;)

IMHO, there are two real contributors to all this confusion...

1. the discrepancy between the wording on the website and the wording on the daily program delivered to your room and
  2. the use of the word "informal".

For (1) Celebrity really needs to use the same language EVERYWHERE, when talking about the dress code. Would relieve SO many headaches.

For (2)....

If I were to invite you to a social event, and I said "Please join us. It's going to be an informal evening", would you think that men were required to wear a jacket, shirt and tie? (...Uh, pants, of course, are a given.) I really don't think you would. So people should be forgiven if they interpret "informal" in a variety of ways.

When it comes to communicating expectations, a good rule of thumb is "say what you mean, and mean what you say".

Celebrity should decide what message they INTEND to convey, then pick a term that is more readily understood by the widest group of their target audience.

"Semi-formal" was a term that was very well understood not so many years ago, but it is rarely used any more. "Formal" in this day and age is often interpreted to be what "semi-formal" was in earlier years, so I don't think that term is going to be of any help.

Royal Caribbean uses "formal", "smart casual" and "casual". I don't know if this would help in Celebrity's case. Plus, the juxtaposition of the last two designations is pretty funny if you think about it.:rolleyes:

"Country club casual" is well understood by many, but is seen as "elitist" by some. However, it is pretty clear that a tie is NOT required in this case, and that a jacket is optional. I know this is not what some of our Celebrity cruisers want to see as the intermediate dress code.

What about "business casual"? Kind of counterintuitive for a cruise dress code.

I'm going to suggest "dressy casual". Not an elegant descriptor, but I think most people would understand it. Append the appropriate "no-jeans" clause.

One of you clever people that knows how to post a poll might think about constructing one around the language used to describe the intermediate (not formal, not casual) dress code. There must be some other good options out there.

In terms of "enforcement", I don't think rigid enforcement is desirable in an environment such as Celebrity's ships. If Celebrity states its dress code expectations clearly, and tries to handle flagrant abuses tactfully, I think the rest of us can use our common sense and good manners.

(...getting down off her soapbox now :o )

Sounds like I need a lawyer to understand this:D

I don't think most non Cruise Critic types put a whole lot of effort into breaking down the dress code.

Most people come to dinner dressed pretty well.

This is ONLY an issue on the boards, never aboard the ship.

But some out here will always judge and never be happy.

Nothing you can do about that.

I wonder how many "letter of the law" dress code types follow ALL the rules onboard. Or just the ones they like.

Just returned from the Constellation transatlantic, our first CEL cruise (we are diamond plus on RCI). TA cruises usually carry a large percentage of seasoned cruisers, and this was no exception. However, there were lots of men in the dining room during "informal" nights when a jacket was mentioned in the dress code (no ties required) who had on polo type shirts and slacks. Also, there were many people, both male and female, wearing jeans, and no one from CEL said anything to them.

Also, momofmeg mentioned that a lot of people changed after dinner to go to the shows. I think some of those folks ate in the buffet restaurant to avoid doing formal nights (or maybe to avoid informal nights, also). if they weren't dressed up for dinner, they weren't dressed up for the show, but that was their choice to avail themselves of the buffet dining (or maybe in room dining).

My DH wore a jacket and tie to informal night, a tux to formal nights and polo shirts and dockers to casual nights, as did the other men at our table, so we did follow the dress code (and we do whenever we sail).

Since this was our first CEL cruise, I expected to see a lot more compliance with the dress code, but that was not the case.

I'm just reporting what I saw, not what I think, so no flames.:)

Just to clarify so no one gets confused. Celebrity does NOT have buffet dining for evening dinner. Casual dining is held in the buffet area but it is served by menus off a menu....

I wonder how many "letter of the law" dress code types follow ALL the rules onboard. Or just the ones they like.

That's probably just human nature.

The dress code discourse does make for some pretty lively discussions on these boards. Provides a distraction on otherwise dull days :D .

I love the endless debate and discussion too!:D

Honestly, I THINK I follow all the rules (see my halo?;)), but there may be rules of which I'm unaware. My DH and I follow the dress code, in it's strictest form, as requested by X. BUT, we're not militant about it as regards others - well, at least I'm not - my DH thinks you should all wear ties, jackets, and tuxes as requested and get over it.

I would point out that X does NOT always spell everything out perfectly in all it's publications as regards a variety of subjects. Suite amenities comes to mind - do suite amenities include all CC amenities? Well...if you look at the UK brochure/site, yes. If you look at the US brochure/site, I guess not. Does that mean people who only see the US brochure/site aren't entitled to the CC amenities? I don't think so. The truth is, I don't like the fact that X gets pretty sloppy about expressing their policies, BUT...come on, we all know what the intended policy is, anything beyond that is interpretation meant to support a personal point of view. Does non compliance make you evil? NO, NOT TO ME!!!:D

My wedding was "Black Tie". Engraved ON the very formal invitation. Most ladies wore cocktail dresses rather than gowns - not textbook adherence to the rules of etiquette, but I thought they looked lovely. Most men wore dark suits - again not strict adherence, but even my DH was happy. BUT, one of my uncles and some of my (adult) cousins showed up in jeans. What the heck, they're family, I love them, I was happy, no big deal...to me. There are still people in both our families that use words like disrespect, thoughtlessness, disregard, uncaring..... Do I look at my wedding/reception pictures and notice the clothes people wore? Yeah, I guess so. But what I notice first and foremost are the smiles.:)

Do I think we should all adhere to the dress code as requested in it's strictest form by X? YUP! Do I think someone without a tie/jacket is destroying the cruise for me and everyone else? NOPE.:)

Happy cruising!

Denise

PS - I think we should blame X for muddying the dress code waters. They should make it up to us by giving us all free cruises!;)

That's probably just human nature.

The dress code discourse does make for some pretty lively discussions on these boards. Provides a distraction on otherwise dull days :D .

Which is why I enjoy them so much:D

The cruise documents that arrived here the other day do state:

'On Informal Nights, the following is proper wear:

• Dress or pants suit for women
  • Jacket, shirt, and tie for men'

So men Do have to wear a tie for informal nights.....they just don't have to wear pants!:confused:

Mary

The cruise documents that arrived here the other day do state:

'On Informal Nights, the following is proper wear:

• Dress or pants suit for women
  • Jacket, shirt, and tie for men'

So men Do have to wear a tie for informal nights.....they just don't have to wear pants!:confused:

Mary

Well, now Celebrity's variable dress code documentation has men arriving in jackets, ties and pants (no shirts a la CHIPPENDALES) and jackets, shirts, ties and no pants. Just goes to prove that you can't take the documentation TOO literally! (Might provide a little fun if people did, however.) :D :D :D

Tell you what...on my next cruise (Connie over NYE) I'll dress in a Tux for formal night, a dark suit and tie on informal night and a sports jacket, trousers and tie on casual night. Anyone who wants to dress less formally than that can sit at my table and on average we'll meet the minimum dress code and no one will be able to complain. :D

Archived