3 To Choose From And Can Only Pick One. Help!

hndmn4wf

Hands down Alaska - I have done all of the three cruises and have done Alaska three times and would do it again - great itinerary and Alaska is just so darn beautiful - even after three times I still saw things I hadn't seen before - although the heavy cruise traffic had in my opinion ruined some things. Vancouver is a really neat city and I would stay there a day or so before the cruise - ride bikes in Stanley Park - great fun. The Euro has things way too expensive in Europe and I think things are a little (not bad but a little) unstable over there) I just think Alaska is the barr none top cruise out there...and some day it will be ruined like everything else and there won't be anything to see. My first cruise there was in 1990 and there were only 2 large lines cruising Alaska - Princess and HAL - now everybody and there brother is up there - unfortunately - more people - more ships - more ruination of their environment. Go while the going is good... what a nice surprise - what a nice hubby!!! Barb:)

If price were no object....

My first choice would be the Med cruise, for its itinerary (actually, the ship being the Independence puts me off it somewhat, I really have no interest in going on a ship that big!)

Second choice would be Alaska.

If money is an issue, I'd go for Alaska...

Any reason you picked the IOS Med cruise from Southampton above other Med itineraries?

We live in the UK and am going on a Med cruise next summer but would not choose that one, for several reasons -

-like you, we have no interest in the bells and whistles of the really big ships.

-don't fancy the days at the beginning and end of the cruise crossing the Bay of Biscay (can be very rough!)

-because it's a new ship, prices seem very high compared to other Med sailings.

Have you looked at any of the others? I would vote for Med but not that one!!

Can only go on one of these but don't know which one to pick and can't ask the wife (surprise for her).

I know you can't pick for me but if it was you going which cruise would you like.

I have put them in order of least expensive cruise with bettercabins/location to most expensive cruise as well as the airfare would be very expensive for the last one compared to the other 2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to help an old geeser out.:D

14 Night Ultimate Alaska Cruise

12-Sep Vancouver, British Columbia 5:00 PM

13-Sep Inside Passage (Cruising) Cruising

14-Sep Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 AM 4:00 PMDocked

15-Sep Juneau, Alaska 8:00 AM 8:00 PMDocke

16-Sep Skagway, Alaska 7:00 AM 8:30 PMDocke

17-Sep Hubbard Glacier (Cruising) 11:00 AM 4:00 PMCruising

18-Sep Icy Strait Point, Alaska 7:00 AM 5:00 PMTendered

19-Sep Sitka, Alaska 7:00 AM 2:00 PMTendered

20-Sep Inside Passage (Cruising) Cruising

21-Sep Seattle, Washington 7:00 AM 4:00 PMDocked

22-Sep Astoria, Oregon 9:00 AM 5:00 PMDocked23-SepCruising Cruising

24-Sep San Francisco, California 6:30 AM 11:30 PMDocked

25-Sep Cruising Cruising

26-Sep San Diego, California 7:00 AM

15 Night Hawaii Circle Cruise

03-OctLos Angeles, California 5:00 PM

04-Oct Cruising Cruising

05-Oct Cruising Cruising

06-Oct Cruising Cruising

07-Oct Cruising Cruising

08-Oct Kailua Kona, Hawaii 9:00 AM 7:00 PMTendered

09-Oct Hilo, Hawaii 8:00 AM 5:00 PMDocked

10-Oct Lahaina (Maui), Hawaii 7:00 AM Tendered

11-Oct Lahaina (Maui), Hawaii11:00 PMTendered

12-Oct Honolulu (Oahu), Hawaii 7:00 AM Docked

13-Oct Honolulu (Oahu), Hawaii 1:00 AMDocked

14-Oct Cruising Cruising

15-Oct Cruising Cruising

16-Oct Cruising Cruising

17-Oct Ensenada, Mexico 9:00 PM 10:00 PMDocked

18-Oct Los Angeles, California 7:00 AM

14 Night Mediterranean Treasures Cruise

20-Sep Southampton, England 5:00 PM

21-Sep Cruising Cruising

22-Sep Cruising Cruising

23-Sep Gibraltar, United Kingdom 9:00 AM 4:00 PMDocked

24-Sep Barcelona, Spain 7:00 PM Docked

25-Sep Barcelona, Spain 5:00 PMDocked

26-Sep Villefranche (Nice), France 8:30 AM 8:00 PMTendered

27-Sep Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy 7:00 AM 7:00 PMDocked

28-Sep Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy 12:00 PM 7:00 PMDocked

29-Sep Cruising Cruising

30-Sep Malaga, Spain 7:00 AM 4:00 PMDocked

01-Oct Lisbon, Portugal 12:00 PM 6:00 PMDocked

02-Oct Vigo, Spain 10:00 AM 5:00 PMDocked

03-Oct Cruising Cruising

04-Oct Southampton, England 5:15 AM

Ohhhh The 15 night Hawaiian please .... lovely

I love the Radiance Class of ships with all the glass and its not so large with many many people. I went on the Mariner years ago and it was too large for my personal taste. The Radiance class has so many nice areas for couples to be alone and enjoy the sea.

Based on the ships and the sea days I would choose Alaska, then the Hawaii, then the Med.

**If she is not a cold person this should play into your decision.**

Let us know what you decide. What a wonderful surprise no matter which cruise you choose.

I had the time of my life on that Hawaii circle cruise!!!!! I would do it again in a heartbeat, so I think you can probably guess what my vote is for. :)

Yes, there are quite a few sea days there in the beginning, but I absolutely loved them. I enjoyed complete relaxation for 4 days and was able to take complete advantage of the ship’s amenities… and by the time we reached Hawaii, I was refreshed and ready to take full advantage of my days in the islands! I loved being able to see so many of the islands on a single vacation... it's fascinating how different they are. Then, another 3 days to relax on the way home. It was the *perfect* vacation, and my favorite cruise ever. I wanted to do it again for my honeymoon, but the timing didn't work out.

Be sure to let us know what you decide!

The Med cruise is my DREAM cruise. I have no desire to freeze on vacation. I've been to Hawaii to a land based resort.

So right now I am waiting for the kids to get older so I can do the Med cruise. I mean England, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal....how could you go wrong?

Love that choice!

WAIT, I just saw that the Med is on Independence. Oh yeah, I think I want to go with you ;) lol What a cruise that would be!

Well again thanks and keep them coming!

Oh yell just today RCCL put out a C&A coupon for the 14 night Ultimate Alaska cruise to where I would save another $225.00.

That gets me thinking! MMMMMMMMMMMMMM:rolleyes:

Grab it, you can't go wrong. I am a beach girl, but I LOVED Alaska.

Well again thanks and keep them coming!

Oh yell just today RCCL put out a C&A coupon for the 14 night Ultimate Alaska cruise to where I would save another $225.00.

That gets me thinking! MMMMMMMMMMMMMM:rolleyes:

that is a great itinerary and here are my pics from the Radiance last month to make your decision worse lol

http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/560902283alGEbQ

We were on a 7-night Princess Alaska cruise in June, followed by 8 days of driving around Alaska in a rental car. I loved it so much that I'm returning next summer on HAL - also with a land trip following.

Had you mentioned the 3rd choice was a Mediterranean cruise on Brilliance of the Seas - then it would truly be a matter of picking the itinerary, since the ships are nearly identical! Med cruises are very port-intensive, and I wouldn't want to be on a huge ship like Independence of the Seas, where you're paying more money for a brand-new ship with lots of bells and whistles that you probably won't have much time or energy to enjoy.

I wanted to add that as much as I loved Alaska, you'd be taking quite a chance on having some nasty weather in mid to late September. On the other hand, the Mediterranean would be delightful in the fall, with cooler temps and fewer crowds.

Out of the three you've mentioned, I would take the Med cruise. In fact, I'm going on IOS in July on that itinerary. One thing I like about leaving from Southampton is that I haven't visited England yet and I wanted to take a few days beforehand to see the sights.

I've been on Radiance and its a beautiful ship. Totally different from the Freedom class. I would think that the passengers on this vessel would be a little more sedate than on IOS.

Another poster mentioned the Tahitian Princess to Tahiti. That would be my dream romantic cruise. My dh and I went to Tahiti for our honeymoon and words can not describe how fabulous it was. Hawaii is great and I've been there several times and I'm planning to retire there. But Tahiti is more exotic and romantic.

I would definitely take the Alaskan cruise! But of course I've always wanted to go to Alaska! I think your wife would love it though! Who wouldn't love their husband surprising them with a cruise??? Oh...so it might get a little chilly and not as warm as Hawaii....so.... she'd be more up to snuggling with the lovely husband who surprised her with a cruise :)

I vote for the med cruise. Haven't been there but would love to do it.

I didn't like all the sea days on the Hawaii cruise. Next time we will fly and cruise around the islands

I would love Alaska but I think September would be too cold.

Ann

This is a hard one. I think your wife will be happy no matter what.

Alaska would be my first choice but I would avoid Sept so that make it tied with the Med.

If you want to go to Hawaii skip the cruise and just go there. It is wonderful. Just got back from our 5th trip some as long as a 6 weeks.

Good luck and let us know what you decide

I haven't done the Hawaii cruise (I would rather go there on land than cruise there, but I'm weakening as I learn to love sea days, even the rough ones). I have done the Med and Alaska. I'd vote for the Ultimate Alaska itinerary. In fact, here's my review of the one we just completed:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=635452

The Radiance is a gorgeous ship, and I think some of the bangs & bruises will be patched up in her drydock before you sail (next spring, I believe). The crew is awesome (as long as you don't get our waitstaff, LOL), and the entire experience was fabulous. Plus that coupon doesn't hurt, does it? I'm also guessing that the price of the cruise itself, never mind transportation to/from the port and onshore expenses, would be much less than Europe.

The Alaska scenery is so much more than snow-covered mountains! And the temperatures will warm up as you move south to San Diego - we had an 80 degree day in San Francisco (rare, but possible).

As much as I love the Med, the Freedom class of ships is just too darned large for me - there's not a lot of romance with 4500 other passengers around you. I wouldn't pick Independence for that reason. Plus it overnights in Barcelona, which isn't my favorite city (most people love it, I'm just different). And as others have said, Europe is very expensive for us Yanks right now.

Good luck choosing!

I vote for the Mediterannean one because it's the perfect mix of history, beauty, adventure, & culture - and the weather isn't so bad either! She can still go to the beach, too! But I hear Alaska is amazing so it's a tough one. If the Mediterannean one is on the Brilliance, even better! The dollar being so low isn't awesome but Europe is always more expensive. I found that when we were there we didn't spend a ton of $$ in port unless we did an excursion on our own or ate while in port - but we found plenty of amazing cafes where we could get a decent meal and a few glasses of wine for an allright price.

Excursions $$ definitely adds up on all of the itineraries that you mentioned also but I think it's because they're so amazing!!!!

Good luck w/your decision!!

Laura

Archived