Egypt: USD, Euro's or Egyptian pounds

My husband and I are in the final stages of planning for our first trip to Egypt. We'd like to know what currency is best to work with. I've been advised that USD and Euro's are widely accepted as tender. Is there a good/better/best recommendation. Additionally other than ensuring our ATM card has a 4 # PIN are there any other issues I should be aware when dealing with currency, credit cards and cash?

I was in Cairo for an overnight (cruise ship stop) and am now planning a return 10-day trip with a Nile cruise for February.

If you are going to be in Egypt only briefly, you probably won't need any Egyptian currency. We didn't on our stop. However, if you're planning a longer trip, I think it would come in handy to have at least a small amount of Egyptian currency handy (tipping in the bathrooms comes to mind, as well as small purchases, etc.)

"Baksheesh" is common, you are expected to tip for just about any small service, unless it is covered by your tour. US dollar bills seem to be well accepted, and I plan to take a good supply of those with me on the trip.

ATMs seemed plentiful in Cairo. You are correct that a 4-digit pin is needed.

We spent two weeks in Egypt in May.

One week in Cairo and one week on a Nile River Cruise.

USDs are accepted every where.

When we started to run short of cash, we used an ATM and received Egyptian Pounds. We just withdrew enough to get us through the Tour.

There is some vague law that you can not take Egyptian currency out of the country. Four digit PIN.

Trust me, every body has their hand out:(

You will enjoy Egypt

My husband and I are in the final stages of planning for our first trip to Egypt. We'd like to know what currency is best to work with. I've been advised that USD and Euro's are widely accepted as tender. Is there a good/better/best recommendation. Additionally other than ensuring our ATM card has a 4 # PIN are there any other issues I should be aware when dealing with currency, credit cards and cash?

I was in Egypt for two weeks last year and used Egyptian Pounds (I got money from ATMs). They accept USD and Euro's too.

You should call your bank and credit cards that you will be on vacation. Tell them where you are going and how long you will be away. This is to prevent the bank from freezing your account because they think that your card(s) got stolen.

Thanks all for your feedback. We are planning on taking USD with us and exchanging as necessary with top-ups using ATM. I'm trying to corner the market on $1 bills for all the Baksheesh. Based on what response has been provided it appears even out of Cairo we should be ok with our current plan.

Thanks also for the reminder to contact the bank and credit card company. In the last few years I've always alerted them of travel activities to ensure I'm not caught without access to funds.

We have just come back from the holy land cruise with princess and found USD to be in far more use with the local vendors also dont worry the easiest way is to exchange money in any of the big hotels we stayed overnight at le meridian pyramids and they had money exchange desk there also the reception desk would allow you to withdraw funds but only in egyptian pounds suggest you take around 50usd in $1 and $5 denominations as these are far easier to give as tips for small things like taking pictures etc and 20 egyptian pounds are worth between 4 and 5 dollars usd have a great trip

• 2 weeks later...
We have just come back from the holy land cruise with princess and found USD to be in far more use with the local vendors also dont worry the easiest way is to exchange money in any of the big hotels we stayed overnight at le meridian pyramids and they had money exchange desk there also the reception desk would allow you to withdraw funds but only in egyptian pounds suggest you take around 50usd in $1 and $5 denominations as these are far easier to give as tips for small things like taking pictures etc and 20 egyptian pounds are worth between 4 and 5 dollars usd have a great trip

Thanks joybelles9 for your response. I'm fairly confident we have the information we need and have made provisions for small denominations of USD.

• 1 month later...

but remember = no coins and no two dollar bills. a 20 LE(egyption pounds is worth about $3.50 (1 US = 5.5 LE's) For the bathroom attendent you need between 50 piasters and 1 LE. Small demonation egyption are hard to come by get them either in the bank or the supermarket(Metro is both the name of the underground/tram and the local supermarket). The Metro supermrket is opened 24 hours in many places and is extra ordinarily cheap(can of coke are 1.8 LE's). A black and white cab can cost as little as 5 LE's but getting change from a Cabbie is impossible, you must have exact amounts.

The reason for no coins or two dollar bills is they can't be exchanged by the locals for LE's. This is particular problematic with People with Euros as there is no one euro note only a one Euro coin. Don't be surprised if they ask you to exchange coins they have recieved for paper.

Having been to Egypt I would go with the US dollars. Why, because you are familiar with the value (or lack of) of the dollar, and convert money to another currency and pay any fees when you can just use currency you are familiar with.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

I would take a small amount of Egyptian currency with you. Remember, each time you use a restroom there is always someone there expecting a tip. If you use only USD then $1 will be the smallest amount you will be able to hand them. If you get a little Egyptian currency, your bathroom stops will cost you less. LOL

Or acquire Egyptian currency outside Egypt prior to a visit.

Well, it must be a pretty vague law indeed ...

We got about $200 in Egyptian pounds from a currency exchange company before we went, and I am sure a bit of it remained in our pocket when we left.

;)

Thanks to MercedMike and msraye for the updated information on the currency. We have brought bits of loose change back from our visits, but were told that there was an import restriction of 20 Egyptian Pounds.

Next time (which will be our 8th), we'll now know better!

Firstly, thanks for all the info on the currency amounts, tipping etc..

We are heading to Cairo after our crossing this year. Being Canadian we are required to get a Visa - which the consulate tells me will be available at the Airport - my question is : Is there an ATM at the airport? We will only be in Egypt for 3 days so I'm thinking we won't be needing too many Egyptian Pounds. Will I need "bakeesh" before we hit the ATM?

Thanks

M

Firstly, thanks for all the info on the currency amounts, tipping etc..

We are heading to Cairo after our crossing this year. Being Canadian we are required to get a Visa - which the consulate tells me will be available at the Airport - my question is : Is there an ATM at the airport? We will only be in Egypt for 3 days so I'm thinking we won't be needing too many Egyptian Pounds. Will I need "bakeesh" before we hit the ATM?

Thanks

M

The ATM at the airport wasn't working but I got the cab driver to stop at one on the way to the hotel. You can use US in stead of Egyptian but I would get some LE's as soon as possible.....when you get to the Immigration line there is a bank just before it. they sell the visa stamps and will exchange money at the same time at what I think was a reasonable rate....

The ATM at the airport wasn't working but I got the cab driver to stop at one on the way to the hotel. You can use US in stead of Egyptian but I would get some LE's as soon as possible.....when you get to the Immigration line there is a bank just before it. they sell the visa stamps and will exchange money at the same time at what I think was a reasonable rate....

Thanks very much - Now I know where to get the visa stamp as well - never thought to ask that ;) So we'll probably wait until we arrive in the country to obtain the E. Pounds. Hopefully the ATM is fixed and we can obtain the proper "change" for the cab ride to the hotel.

M

Archived