Large Balcony room vs. JS

brad_p

Hi everyone, just wanting to know your opinion on wether the price difference between a Junior Suite and a "large balcony" cabin is worth it on the Freedom class ships? I understand that the only differences is a bath tub and a walk-in wardrobe? How much bigger is it really - does it feel a lot bigger.

Also, in a JS do you have to pay suite gratuities? I would assume not since you don't get the other advantages of being in a normal suite.

Thanks in advance for your help. :D

I think it all depends on the price difference. If it's a small difference, then I'd say yes, it is worth it to go with the JS for the extra space, the real bath tub and the walk in closet. But if the price difference is quite large, then I'd say no since it's not a "real" suite and you don't get many perks associated with it. We upgraded to a JS from our D2 on the Adventure b/c it was only about $60 more than we were originally planning on spending. But for our upcoming Brilliance cruise, the price difference from our E1 to JS is almost $900 per person:eek: so there is no way we're going to pay that for a bit more space and a bathtub. I think it also depends on who you're traveling with and whether you end to wear on each others' nerves. For the upcoming cruise, it's just DH and I, so I think we'll be okay in a "cozier" cabin, whereas on the Adventure, I was traveling with my sister and I think we were both happy to have the extra room (and the walk in closet was great for getting dressed!).:D

I think it all depends on the price difference. If it's a small difference, then I'd say yes, it is worth it to go with the JS for the extra space, the real bath tub and the walk in closet. But if the price difference is quite large, then I'd say no since it's not a "real" suite and you don't get many perks associated with it. We upgraded to a JS from our D2 on the Adventure b/c it was only about $60 more than we were originally planning on spending. But for our upcoming Brilliance cruise, the price difference from our E1 to JS is almost $900 per person:eek: so there is no way we're going to pay that for a bit more space and a bathtub. I think it also depends on who you're traveling with and whether you end to wear on each others' nerves. For the upcoming cruise, it's just DH and I, so I think we'll be okay in a "cozier" cabin, whereas on the Adventure, I was traveling with my sister and I think we were both happy to have the extra room (and the walk in closet was great for getting dressed!).:D

Beth, hubby and I just had the E1 on the Serenade and it was fine for the two of us. You will be good.

I think the JS has a lot more room, and it feels quite a bit roomier. DH and I tend to trip over each other in tight spaces, so we book the JS whenever possible. As for whether the difference is "worth it," only you know what is too much or too little for your budget. I think it is except maybe on a 3-nighter (maybe);) .

There's no comparison in size--a JS is most like a good-sized hotel room. Because of the tub, the bathroom is larger. The walkin closet is a great storage area with shelves, and hanging rods.

We won't sail in anything but a JS! Perfect for 2 to have a comfortable cruise!

mom & i have had 3 JSs and 1 balcony..we felt squished in the balcony..the one bed was against the door to the balcony....plus the big closet was good for a dressing room...

the shower in the regular balcony wasn't TOO bad though..but a little hard to shave your legs..and don't drop anything..not much room to pick it up!

And to answer your other question, no, the JS only pays the standard tips, not the suite tips.

What are suite tips? We are considering a GS when we do Alaska. This is the first I've heard of suite tips. Are they for the room steward? Does that mean that the room stewards do more?

Cheryl, the cabin stewards for the suites have fewer cabins but more real estate to clean, plus they have extra tasks like cleaning out the french press coffeemaker that's now in the full suites. The recommended daily gratuity in a full suite is $5.75 per person vs. $3.50pp in the "lower" categories.

I've had nothing but suites on RCI and always tipped above the minimum anyway... never realized there were different guidelines. The extra 2 bucks a day is definitely worth it!

But anyway - has anyone mentioned the biggest advantage of a JS over a regular balcony? TWO cruise credits! At least that's what I have read. Much faster to Diamond and Platinum C&A status that way. That makes it way worth it.

Hi everyone, just wanting to know your opinion on wether the price difference between a Junior Suite and a "large balcony" cabin is worth it on the Freedom class ships? I understand that the only differences is a bath tub and a walk-in wardrobe? How much bigger is it really - does it feel a lot bigger.

Also, in a JS do you have to pay suite gratuities? I would assume not since you don't get the other advantages of being in a normal suite.

Thanks in advance for your help. :D

What are the advantages of being a normal suite?

A full (normal) suite gets priority embarkation/disembarkation/tendering, some welcome goodies in the cabin (we had Evian, no wine and our cabin steward hadn't heard of that one), treats several evenings during the cruise (chocolate-covered strawberries, petit fours, cheese plate).

On ships with a Concierge Club/Lounge, full suite members will always have access to the CL. Diamond/D+ members of C&A usually have access, but as more people achieve that status RCI is increasingly restricting access & creating a lesser satellite lounge). The CL provides wine, beer, cocktails, juices & soft drinks from 5-8:30 or so and a continental breakfast in the morning. The Concierge can assist you with reservations at the spa or specialty restaurants, ice show tickets on ships with a rink, booking shore excursions, etc. It's a nice touch, although if the lounge is really crowded, we will have one drink and then find another place for some peace & quiet (the Champagne Bar is a favorite).

You also get upgraded toiletries (which are pretty nice), terry robes instead of waffle weave, slippers, and nicer towels than the regular cabins. I've read that they're converting to flat-screen TVs (didn't have on on Radiance), binoculars on the scenic cruises (e.g. Alaska; we had those).

There are more, but I'm not remembering them....

We always book a JS, generally if you book far enough in advance you should find the price difference unremarkable (not including holidays). For our upcoming Mariner when we booked the difference was $150, now it's over $500!! But I LOVE the JS, so much room, the walk in closet is great cause the room doesn't get cluttered up at all! The larger bathroom is also nice. Since I am claustrophobic the extra space of this room is wonderful.

And as another poster mentioned you get 2 cruise credits!! We hit Platinum and the concierege level with this next cruise, yahoo!!

I, for one, can't see spending the extra $$ for a GS but a JS is great!!:D

We always book a JS, generally if you book far enough in advance you should find the price difference unremarkable (not including holidays). For our upcoming Mariner when we booked the difference was $150, now it's over $500!! But I LOVE the JS, so much room, the walk in closet is great cause the room doesn't get cluttered up at all! The larger bathroom is also nice. Since I am claustrophobic the extra space of this room is wonderful.

And as another poster mentioned you get 2 cruise credits!! We hit Platinum and the concierege level with this next cruise, yahoo!!

I, for one, can't see spending the extra $$ for a GS but a JS is great!!:D

Platinum doesn't give you concierge level.

We've only had one JS to date and it was great :)

The bathroom has so much more space, you can walk by each other in the cabin, the living area large...you actually feel like you have room to breathe!

If the price difference isn't too huge, we'll book another one, so far it's been a little too far out of our reach.

I think DH minds having less room in a D1 more than I do. I miss the bathtub (there's something nice about a relaxing bubble bath), but there's always the hot tubs.... I do miss the cruise credits too. However, when we were looking at which cruise to take this winter at our anniversary time (Voyager from Galveston vs. Radiance), we had to consider the price difference to compensate for the airfare. Booking an aft D1 made the Radiance trip possible.

well excuse me.... we're about to hit diamond then not platinum...all I know is after this cruise we have 10 credits which IS indeed concierege level.....I don't care what the level is called!!

I always get diamonds and platinum mixed up!!:D :D

Archived