You balcony snobs are pulling me in...

I lurk alot and read about everyones wonderful balcony rooms. At first I booked an inside.. then I was temped and booked an "ocean view"... yet again I am tempted to book a balcony! Granted, it's a little over my budget for a suite but I would at least like to (and I quote) "Lay in my room and feel the wonderful sea breeze!" :p

So while checking on the RCI site I see a room open # 7596 on the Enchantment for my Jan 21st sailing... the room is next door to the library which I am assuming is quite :rolleyes: ... but my main question is how is the balcony... If I am going to shell out another $740 for a room I want to make sure I can get the best room possible. Is this room on the port side? Sorry, but I can never remember which one is port and which on is the sea side. Is the balcony big enough to sit on, or just standing room?

I really want to book it, but DH will KILL me once he realizes I over spent on our "Cheap" vacation this year :D

So should I book this one and tell him that the upgrade fairy came? Thanks!

Sorry, but I can never remember which one is port and which on is the sea side.

Remember that Port and Left have the same amount of letters.

Port side is the left side of the ship when facing forward.

The balconies I've had were about 40 sq ft. They have two chairs on them, and a little table.

It is a wonderful thing to go onto your balcony and watch the ship pull into a port, or watch the sea go by.

So if you can afford the balcony, I say splurge and have a great cruise ;)

A way to remember the port and starboard issue is this--if you were facing forward--or straight ahead--PORT (four letters) is LEFT (four letters). The issue of starboard and port isn't always going to give you a view of the port--in some ports it works out the opposite.

A balcony cabin (and we always get them) on The Enchantment near the library would be a good balcony midship choice. We are the EOS in November and we have a JS on deck 8 near the same area.

I don't suggest telling a lie to get that cabin....but gosh I would go for it. I love em.

Only you can determine if you can "afford" the balcony.. $740 isn't a small chunk of change..especially on a shorter cruise.. it's easy to get caught up on here with wanting to have the balconies or suites that "everyone" else seems to enjoy. The Enchantment is a great ship and any room on her would be great to me.

That being said I surprised my husband with our 1st balcony on HAL and at first he was a little upset about the extra money I spent....but by the end of the cruise he decided he wouldn't cruise anymore without one....:D hopefully yours would feel the same way.....

There is nothing more wonderful then sitting on the balcony in the early am with a cup of coffee and watching the sea go by or watching pulling into port. The same holds true in the evening. It also gives us an extra "room" and makes the one room so much bigger. We got in on a promotion years ago where you booked an OV and they automatically upgraded you to a balcony, still haven't figured out if it was the best thing to come along or the worst because I won't sail without one now.:cool:

You will love it. It was so nice to step outside without having to go up on deck. It is a real treat going into or out of port while on your balcony. Order room service for breakfast and have breakfast on the balcony. The only problem is now I won't go back to and inside or ocean view, but I can live with that! :D

You will both love having the balcony once you have tried it. We try to always get balcony rooms, when we can. There is nothing like just stepping out to look at the ocean. It does cost more, but if you can swing it, it is worth the cost. Try it once. If it isn't a big deal, you can always book an OV or interior cabin.

As to port and starboard, the other posters had it right on. Port is left and starboard is right when facing forward. They have nothing to do with knowing, in advance, whether you will be facing the pier or the sea.

Enjoy your cruise!

Eric

You can always go to the RCL website and get the plans for the ships that tell you where the cabins are...and their sizes, etc. I think the balcony question hinges on how much time you spend in your cabin. I can certainly understand that people who only use the cabin to sleep and shower don't think the extra $$$ makes sense. However, if you enjoy having your coffee/wine/whatever by yourself instead of in the dining room/bar...then it is worth it. I'd rather watch the ocean go by in private....

P.S. I have no problem lying to my husband when its for the "greater good."

We are like a cult. You just can't resist joining us. ;)

I went to web shots and found an Enchantment Balcony (I think...lol) It's says Enchantment Balcony. And the cabin doesn't look like a suite. But I have been wrong in the past. ;)

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1175331788051395705gNPfLz

Thank you! That does help alot! I just got off the phone with a rep (always wonderful!) and it's confirmed! I have # 7596! I am sooo excited I just can help myself. DH will love it! I don't think I will mention it to him... knowing him he probably will just think it's the right room all along! If he did find out it wouldn't realy cause that much of a problem... I will just give him that sad puppy look and he melts... works like a charm!

We are like a cult. You just can't resist joining us. ;)

I went to web shots and found an Enchantment Balcony (I think...lol) It's says Enchantment Balcony. And the cabin doesn't look like a suite. But I have been wrong in the past. ;)

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1175331788051395705gNPfLz

That looks like a suite balcony. We have had balconies on Freedom and Mariner, and they weren't as large as that. Here is the Mariner D2 balcony. Should be the same size as the Enchantment balcony.

Onelifetolive2--You will love the balcony. We have had them, and sometimes, we just like a quick, cheap getaway, and will book an inside cabin. That is what we have on our Enchantment B2B. A balcony is the best, but not always in the budget. I would rather go twice a year, once w/balcony, and once w/inside, rather than just once in balcony. Congrats!

751548012_Marinercruise9-2-07eastern092.jpg.4a98507979c4a383d51dac89917b70e2.jpg

So either way it's big enough to hold me and DH while sipping on coffee in the morning. That's the biggie... I didn't want it to be an open door and only one person could fit out at time. It looks big enough. I just hope I don't have an 1/2 view due to the libary next door. I wouldn't see why though. Whoo hoo I am soo excited!

We do the same. On Sovereign, due to the small amount of balconies, we just get an OV rather than pay for a balcony on a 3 night. But on our 7 night, we get balconies. DH loves to sit there in the morning having coffee while I am in the gym. At night, it is nice to sit out there and have a last drink and relax before we go to bed. Hopefully, we can continue our balconies for many years to come!!

I am bucking the trend here. I don't particularly like balconies. I have traveled with both. The only time I shell out for a balcony is if there are 3 in the room. Personally, I am never out there.

For my own personal opinion--I don't think it is a good idea to lie to your partner. If you are equals it shouldn't be necessary.

I'll throw in my 2 cents. My DW and I LOVE the balcony. In the morning, you order room service, coffee and OJ. You open the bottle of champagne you "snuck" in and you have coffee and mirmosas on the balcony while you cruise into your next port. At night, you order beverage of your choice and a dessert from room service and you sit on the balcony as the ship pulls out of port or just have a nice nightcap before bed.

For me, the balcony is a must. I smoke cigars ( only allowed 1 a day on the cruise) and I really enjoy the cigar while on the balcony with a drink. The worries of the world truly sail bye (if only for that brief moment of peace). Trust me DH will appreciate your extra effort in making YOUR vacation better.

Thank you! That does help alot! I just got off the phone with a rep (always wonderful!) and it's confirmed! I have # 7596! I am sooo excited I just can help myself. DH will love it! I don't think I will mention it to him... knowing him he probably will just think it's the right room all along! If he did find out it wouldn't realy cause that much of a problem... I will just give him that sad puppy look and he melts... works like a charm!

Welcome to the club :D

###

OK, I think I am going to do it... I am picking up the phone now... LOL

Thanks for everyone's replies. :)

Onelifetolive..... Your name is sooo true. You only live once. You dont want to end up saying "I never had a balcony" when your in a nursing home drinking an Asparagus Shake and telling the nurses how many cruises you went on.;) Live it now cuz you only go around once. Plus I agree with all the other stuff too. There is nothing like eating your breakfast in your PJ's watching the water go by, watching the stars, or just chilling on a sea day...one word...Awesome !! Do it !!!

Onelifetolive..... Your name is sooo true. You only live once. You dont want to end up saying "I never had a balcony" when your in a nursing home drinking an Asparagus Shake and telling the nurses how many cruises you went on.;) Live it now cuz you only go around once.

How true, my mom called this morning to tell me my cousin has some sort of brain disease (mom doesn't know the name) symptoms started 2 weeks ago and they don't expect her to live more than a month. She is only 54 years old. You never know, live it up now while you can you never know what is around the corner.

Archived