Getting to New York Terminal

Rhealsmom

We are a family of 5 driving down from New Brunswick for our 1st cruise out of NYC in May. My husband, myself, our 29 year old special needs son (he can walk, but is unsteady on uneven pavement and sometimes will have trouble climbing into and out of different vehicles), my sister and her 18month old daughter (so depending on the transport - we may have to be lugging the carseat in addition to the stroller, luggage, etc.)

We are weighing out all of our options to get to the terminal...

1) Drive all the way in and just pay the $180 to park for the 8 days (hubby is not terribly comfortable with this - but if it is easiest then this is what will be done).

2) Drive to Boston and take the train into NYC -- but then, we would still need some way to get to the terminal.

3) Drive to NJ, leave the van at a hotel there and take the ferry (???) across to NYC.

4) Other????

Can anyone give me information about a car service that they have used - that may have a car seat (so we don't have to lug our?).

Any help at all would be wonderful. I'm sure these questions are already on the forum arleady -- but if you could point me in the right direction -- that would be great.

Thanks

Since you will have so much luggage, your special needs son, and a toddler with all that entails, the train is out for you.

At Penn Station, elevators are hard to find, the escalators are narrow and packed with people, and the train station is always just a mob scene getting off the train. Lots of steps and lots of walking.

The ferries are more set up for day commuters.

Honestly I think your best bet is just to drive in and park at the pier. Also, it will be the easiest.

People don't realize that driving in Manhattan is actually quite easy.

The train should work out O.K. There are elevators and escalators that connect the platform with the main level of Penn Station, and likewise between the main level and the taxi stand. It is just a few blocks between Penn Station and the cruise ship terminal, so it should not cost much at all. What would likely work best is get red cap assistance upon the train's arrival. The conductor should be able to make sure that you are taken care by the red cap (but if there is no red cap visible when you first alight from the train onto the platform, just stay put and one should be with you shortly). He will be able to take all of your luggage from the platform up to the taxi stand, and help get everyone into the taxi.

The ferry is an interesting option. The terminal certainly is not as crowded as Penn Station, so it is a little easier in that respect. But there are also no red caps, so you would have to carry everything off of the vessel and into the taxi yourself. The ferry terminal is marginally closer to the cruise ship pier.

Given the choice, I would chose the train.

The train should work out O.K. There are elevators and escalators that connect the platform with the main level of Penn Station, and likewise between the main level and the taxi stand. It is just a few blocks between Penn Station and the cruise ship terminal, so it should not cost much at all. What would likely work best is get red cap assistance upon the train's arrival. The conductor should be able to make sure that you are taken care by the red cap (but if there is no red cap visible when you first alight from the train onto the platform, just stay put and one should be with you shortly). He will be able to take all of your luggage from the platform up to the taxi stand, and help get everyone into the taxi.

GTJ, the OP has a special needs son who has has trouble walking and a sister with an 18 month old child in addition to other family members and luggage. In those circumstances, no way would I attempt Penn Station. You cannot always find a porter, it is very crowded, and the elevators are very hard to find especially if you are coming off tracks 12-18.

If it wasn't for the above circumstances, I would highly recommend the train. Personally, I've done it hundreds of times out of Penn Station.

You'll need two cabs. You'll have lots of luggage a stroller etc. While a cab is licensed for 4 plus one under 12 in a lap in the back seat, luggage for 4 plus the baby stuff will be too much for one cab. In fact luggage for 4 may be too much by itself...

GTJ, the OP has a special needs son who has has trouble walking and a sister with an 18 month old child in addition to other family members and luggage. In those circumstances, no way would I attempt Penn Station. You cannot always find a porter, it is very crowded, and the elevators are very hard to find especially if you are coming off tracks 12-18.

If it wasn't for the above circumstances, I would highly recommend the train. Personally, I've done it hundreds of times out of Penn Station.

I was thinking of the disabled boy using a wheelchair or other transportation vehicle that the red caps use for mobility-impaired persons for the transfer between the train and the taxi. I've never had difficulty in having a red cap take care of my excessive luggage when alighting from an Amtrak train at Penn Station (typically I request assistance carrying all my skiing equipment from the Adirdondack onto a local LIRR train). I've also often seen the conductor or other trainmen arrange for red cap service. It may not be immediate if the train is heavily patronized, but it has never taken very long to get service.

Considering everything, I still think the train is a better option than taking the ferry.

Driving into Manhattan and to the pier is easier in my opinion than getting into downtown Montreal or Toronto (I'm using Canadian examples as your are more likely to be familiar with them). If you are o.k. with these cities you will be fine going into Manhattan. If you arrive from the North, the parking lot at the pier is easy to get into. Make sure you have a good map. You pull right up to a luggage drop off area where the porters take all your suitcases (and you won't see them again till you are in your cabin) then you proceed up to the roof top parking area. There is an elevator back down to the departure area.

I wouldn't dream of taking a train to get to port after driving in once. The best part is you will arrive in Manhattan mid-day when traffic is at its lightest.

The train is expensive, if I am not mistaken. My daughter is a student in Boston, and lots of times, JetBlue is cheaper than the train. Most students use the bus. Have you thought of the bus? Also, which cruiseline? I think Norweigan has bus transportation through them from Boston to NY.

We drove in with 2 kids in carseats plus one not, and immediately drove up to the terminal. The porter was waiting on the curb and immediately took our luggage, believe me we had plenty! Then directed my husband up the ramp maybe 100 ft ahead to park and me and the kids, stroller and carry ons inside. There were wheelchairs on the curb, I imagine they are for use by anyone that needs one. The terminal is one level. By the time I got in line my husband was coming down the escalator to meet me. The termnal is only one floor and parking is on the roof. It was a piece of cake! We arrived @ 11:30 a.m. and were sitting in the buffet area eating lunch by 12:20p.m. I'd drive in from Boston again in a heartbeat. Just arrive on the Henry Hudson and it's an easy right turn into the terminal.

Hope this helps.

All of your suggestions have been a wonderful help. As I read all of your responses aloud to my DH (He just loves it when I read these post to him -- :D ). He understood and agreed with you all.

Thank you for the Canadian analogies -- my DH is a born and bred Torontonian -- and we have both driven through Montreal so many times --- that we feel that the best bet is going to be to just drive all the way in.

This board is wonderful.

Thanks again.

You made a good choice! I am from the NYC metro area and know how mass transportation around here works...

The ferry is kind of a maylay for a first timer with a load of luggage, and a baby! Plus you still have to get from the ferry terminal, down the street (several blocks) to the cruise ship terminal.

The train station is even more of a maylay than the ferry terminal! Plus you have homeless people that pose as porters that offer to help with your luggage for money, then just take the money and run.... no way man!

Take a nice drive, leave your car in the secured terminal, and use the cruise ship's porters! you'll be glad you did!!!! (no I do not work for the port....LOL.... I'm just not a big fan of mass transit in NYC!)

You made a good choice! I am from the NYC metro area and know how mass transportation around here works...

The ferry is kind of a maylay for a first timer with a load of luggage, and a baby! Plus you still have to get from the ferry terminal, down the street (several blocks) to the cruise ship terminal.

The train station is even more of a maylay than the ferry terminal! Plus you have homeless people that pose as porters that offer to help with your luggage for money, then just take the money and run.... no way man!

Take a nice drive, leave your car in the secured terminal, and use the cruise ship's porters! you'll be glad you did!!!! (no I do not work for the port....LOL.... I'm just not a big fan of mass transit in NYC!)

Funny I am a fan of the NY mass transit system but not while dragging luggage. 3 million people take the NY subway everyday. NY would be unliveable without the mass transit system. Its simple cheap and effective(and so are the cabs) but it isn't meant to transport people and their luggage to the cruise terminals. NY doesn't have the problems with luggage at the stations described above. There are too may cops and real Red caps but it just isn't feasible with the issues you raise....Homeless people are swept out most of the time what you are describing is the NY of the "80's and 90's.....pre Guiliani(and I am no fan of his either).

we had the same choices to make when we did our nyc cruise. but we were just a party of two, so it was much easier for us. If you are lugging car seats and strollers and what have you, just take the simple way out and drive to the ship. The parking is very good and is safe. It may seem expensive, but it is nyc so what can you do. If it were just two of you, then all of your mentioned options would work. We stayed at a hotel in jersey city, then took the path train into ny and a $5 taxi ride to the ship. But your trip is much more complicated. Just get directions from mapquest or one of those places and get there early in the day, get parked and they will board the ship before long. Any of your other choices will just be too complicated, given your circumstances. NYC taxis must accomodate 5 passengers, but I can just imagine the luggage you will have along with the strollers and car seat. I am willing to bet they will require a 2nd cab. I guess that's not really a big deal, but it just sounds complicated.

Now if you do decide to drive to boston and take the train to nyc, you will have boston parking fees, as well as probably 2 taxis to the ship at about $9 each.

Hard to say.... just remember when you get back in, there will be 3-5 other ships coming in at the same time, all with 2-3 thousand people getting off and looking for taxis.

just my thoughts.......

We are a family of 5 driving down from New Brunswick for our 1st cruise out of NYC in May. My husband, myself, our 29 year old special needs son (he can walk, but is unsteady on uneven pavement and sometimes will have trouble climbing into and out of different vehicles), my sister and her 18month old daughter (so depending on the transport - we may have to be lugging the carseat in addition to the stroller, luggage, etc.)

We are weighing out all of our options to get to the terminal...

1) Drive all the way in and just pay the $180 to park for the 8 days (hubby is not terribly comfortable with this - but if it is easiest then this is what will be done).

2) Drive to Boston and take the train into NYC -- but then, we would still need some way to get to the terminal.

3) Drive to NJ, leave the van at a hotel there and take the ferry (???) across to NYC.

4) Other????

Can anyone give me information about a car service that they have used - that may have a car seat (so we don't have to lug our?).

Any help at all would be wonderful. I'm sure these questions are already on the forum arleady -- but if you could point me in the right direction -- that would be great.

Thanks

Archived