How is carnival with disabled passengers?

melika091900

Im wondering how carnival is with disabled passengers? more specifically someone in a wheelchair due to knee problems ?

is there somewhere there that can push my mom to the gangway when we are boarding ? separate line for boarding ?

and do they get priority tender tickets ? or another entrance to tender ?

Im just wondering since we just recently went on celebrity and the service they showed us was sooo great..

Just wondering

thanks in advance

Im wondering how carnival is with disabled passengers? more specifically someone in a wheelchair due to knee problems ?

is there somewhere there that can push my mom to the gangway when we are boarding ? separate line for boarding ?

Im just wondering since we just recently went on celebrity and the service they showed us was sooo great..

Just wondering

thanks in advance

I am wondering te same myself looking at my first carnival cruise..my wife is in a scooter...so far everything is great no problems getting a HC room but there seems to be a lack of them. so you need to book early to get them..We have been on princess and they were wonderfull they would carry the scooter of and on the boat when ever we went to port ect. i am hoping the same with Carnival the few threads i have read about it eveything is possitive. I am not worried about it i am sure we will have a blast even if i have to carry the load without there help..And i hope you do as well.

If their problem is so severe they are in a wheelchair and cannot walk, Im not sure they should be tendering in a small boat? Tender boats are not adequate for wheelchairs in the least.

Iv never heard of them having special arrangements for wheelchairs. There are a LOT of wheel chairs and scooters on board. We are going with two disabled, one on a walker who cannot manage even one step. We have to make sure we go to shows very early to get the last row because we cannot do any steps.

They do allow them to sit in the back of the theater for muster drills when you meet there before going out to the ships, depends on the ship. I cant remember exactly. (Iv been on several cruiselines lately).

If they cannot manage the wheel chair on their own, I dont really think they will be very happy on the cruise unless you plan on being there to push them around. Maybe think about renting a scooter for them?

I plan on being the legs for the other two people Im taking. Like the Sur Mer? the fish place on Conquest above the pool, its very difficult to reach by elevator, so I will run up and down the stairs for everyone.

We do take the elevators, not the escalator because my sister cannot manage the ecsalator, but I have not seen anyone offering to help and often they even argue with us about saying we dont need the elevators, save them for handicapped, since they cant see my sister has balance problems I guess?? They may help you right at the ramps, I did see one of the cruise people pulling a scooter up a ramp, but once it was up, the help stopped.

I do think you will have to plan on being there to push the wheelchair yourself. I pack very light. Or get a porter to help with getting the luggage to the ship. There are ways.

But I really think those tender boats are probably out of the question?

We make do. Expect to run into some problems, but they are not insurmountable. Some ports are also not great for handicapped and scooters.

If their problem is so severe they are in a wheelchair and cannot walk, Im not sure they should be tendering in a small boat? Tender boats are not adequate for wheelchairs in the least.

Iv never heard of them having special arrangements for wheelchairs. There are a LOT of wheel chairs and scooters on board. We are going with two disabled, one on a walker who cannot manage even one step. We have to make sure we go to shows very early to get the last row because we cannot do any steps.

They do allow them to sit in the back of the theater for muster drills when you meet there before going out to the ships, depends on the ship. I cant remember exactly. (Iv been on several cruiselines lately).

If they cannot manage the wheel chair on their own, I dont really think they will be very happy on the cruise unless you plan on being there to push them around. Maybe think about renting a scooter for them?

I plan on being the legs for the other two people Im taking. Like the Sur Mer? the fish place on Conquest above the pool, its very difficult to reach by elevator, so I will run up and down the stairs for everyone.

We do take the elevators, not the escalator because my sister cannot manage the ecsalator, but I have not seen anyone offering to help and often they even argue with us about saying we dont need the elevators, save them for handicapped, since they cant see my sister has balance problems I guess?? They may help you right at the ramps, I did see one of the cruise people pulling a scooter up a ramp, but once it was up, the help stopped.

I do think you will have to plan on being there to push the wheelchair yourself. I pack very light. Or get a porter to help with getting the luggage to the ship. There are ways.

But I really think those tender boats are probably out of the question?

We make do. Expect to run into some problems, but they are not insurmountable. Some ports are also not great for handicapped and scooters.

yeah she just uses it since her knees hurt alot , my husband pushes her around the whole time.. im just wondering about when we board and stuff. NCL and celebrity had separate check ins for people in wheelchairs,

and the tendering, she did fine in hawaii.. they just lifted her up in her chair ,

the water was calm, we might not chance that, but its nice to have priority tickets just in case ;)

I am wondering te same myself looking at my first carnival cruise..my wife is in a scooter...so far everything is great no problems getting a HC room but there seems to be a lack of them. so you need to book early to get them..We have been on princess and they were wonderfull they would carry the scooter of and on the boat when ever we went to port ect. i am hoping the same with Carnival the few threads i have read about it eveything is possitive. I am not worried about it i am sure we will have a blast even if i have to carry the load without there help..And i hope you do as well.

yeah we didnt book a handicap room only because shes not in her chair all the time, only when we need to get around , shes fine in her room with out it , and she can walk,, i was just curious, ill let you know how it goes after feb...

you have a great cruise

Melissa

Hi Firefly

You have made some valid points my wife has limited mobilty so we were able to use the tender the crew from princess loaded us first them everyone else then the scooter last and we were first off the tender to get out of everyones way. they were there and did carry here scooter at evey port we went to

I agree no mobility will have alot of headaches off and on the boat.

I can "almost" guarantee that if you show up at the pier with a wheelchair they will pull you out of line and give you priority boarding.

Call Carnival Guest relations (number on their website) and let them know the situation. They will be able to answer all your questions.

The Disabled Cruisers board is also a great source of information.

I can "almost" guarantee that if you show up at the pier with a wheelchair they will pull you out of line and give you priority boarding.

Call Carnival Guest relations (number on their website) and let them know the situation. They will be able to answer all your questions.

The Disabled Cruisers board is also a great source of information.

thank you ;)

Just wondering

thanks in advance

Carnival Cruise Line is very good with handicapped cruisers. I know, my wife is handicapped. This is our fifth Carnival cruise. She could walk reasonably well on our first Carnival cruises though. On our last Carnival cruise they gave us priority boarding because my wife needed a wheelchair.

My wife thought she would be okay onboard. Needless to say after boarding and having something to eat she could not stand on her own feet. They got her a wheelchair that she used throughout the cruise. When disembarking all handicapped people go to one room and then taken off the ship.

Carnival has ramps to get into theatre's and anyplace where there are stairs. Of course, Carnival has three sets of elevators. Forward, midship and aft. Not every cruiseline we have been on has this. If you are handicapped you could still get around the ship fine.

Enjoy your cruise.

Just wondering

thanks in advance

On my recent cruise on the Conquest there were quite a few folks who required a wheel chair or a scooter. I didn't see one that was having problems getting about and a few who tendered off the boat to Georgetown, Grand Cayman.

I would expect that if you contact Guest Relations that they should be able to allay all your fears.

I just returned from the Victory. There were a lot of people with wheelchairs and scooters. I didn't notice any problems.

During the debarkation talk our C.D. said they have a seperate gangway for handicapped people. You can always talk to the pursers desk and they should be able to accomidate your mom. Also, some tours have special assistance for handicapped people, others do not. There was some documentation at the tour desk that described everything.

Just wondering

thanks in advance

Having just had this experience last month on my Valor sailing I can tell you that Carnival DOES go out of their way to help anyone disabled.

Sailed with my brother who is semi ambulatory but needs a WC or scooter to get around for any distances. We rented a scooter for him and it was on the ship in the Pursers Office when we sailed. Really helped a bunch.

My brother had booked a HC cabin and this is how it worked for us.

When you arrive at the port on the day of embarkation, have someone in your party go into the terminal and find a Carnival Rep.. Tell them that you need a wheelchair for your mother. They will find a Carnival staff member who will bring a chair to where your mother is waiting, put her in the chair and whisk you all into the terminal. You will bypass the regular lines and go to the VIP area where you will get your papers in order then he will take you right onto the ship. All in all it took us about 15 to 20 minutes to board. The young man who helped us was wonderful and we tipped him well for his services.

Hope this helps answer your question.

This probably would depend on the tender boat but I have seen people that are in wheel chairs being helped in to the tender boats.. And when we were in Calia we watched a person from Carnival help push a older man in a wheel chair up a long wramp to a cab that was waiting for him.

My mother isn't handicap but is on dialysis and Carnival made it easy to get her supplies. She was happy with what Carnival did.

But do let them know ahead of time.

Maybe it's because we dont look totally handicapped that no one ever seems to help. My sister fell in april and broke her wrist because of her balance problems, but looking at her you just wonder why she is walking with her hands splayed and her friend cant walk even that well.

I was on RoyalCaribbean and some CCers mom was told they could borrow a wheelchair in the port to get around. She was on a scooter and the battery life I guess only would allow her to go so far and they wanted to go deep into Cozumel to eat lunch and go to a local grocery etc. They only had wheelchairs that were too small. Apparantly getting a larger sized wheelchair can also be iffy.

Im glad to hear Carnival takes good care of its handicapped. On other cruiselines Iv had to argue my way onto the elevators to get to our muster drill station and told I should have gotten there ahead of time. I said fine, so now what, if we cant take the elevator we cant get there. Then I often have to convince them to let me go too, they apparantly cant tell that my sister is a little slow? She cant find the cabin or anything else on the ship by herself. Iv often been frustrated. Id say it depends on if you have a wheelchair or scooter or just are handicapped without those obvious items if you get any help.

There are other handicaps besides just being in a wheelchair that are not recognized by cruiselines in my experience.

Then I often have to convince them to let me go too, they apparently cant tell that my sister is a little slow? She cant find the cabin or anything else on the ship by herself. Iv often been frustrated. Id say it depends on if you have a wheelchair or scooter or just are handicapped without those obvious items if you get any help.

There are other handicaps besides just being in a wheelchair that are not recognized by cruise lines in my experience.

firefly,

On your next cruise I would suggest that you tell Carnival (call them) prior to going then when on the ship, go to the Pursers Office and also tell them.

The reason I am saying this is twofold. One, a notation will be put into your cruise folio about your sister and you might get a little more help. Secondly, if there is ever (God forbid) a disaster/fire aboard, the crew and staff need to know who will need help either getting off the ship or finding their way through the ship.

As far a the elevators to the tenders go. On our cruise, we made our way down to the 3rd level (they stopped here) via elevator and right at the stairs there was a Carnival asst. CD waiting to guide everyone down. When we explained that my brother could not do stairs she radioed for another staff member to bring an elevator up to pick us up. They did and we were transported to the area where we caught the tender.

With so many passengers on board, it would be impossible for the staff to know and remember who needs help. Just politely tell someone when you need assistance and you will find that the Carnival Staff are very, very helpful.

Thanks, yes.

I think its that they cant tell by looking she has balance problems, even though she walks funny. We rotate cruiselines so I get confused who is helpfull and who isnt. Our April cruise on RCI a smart assed cruiseline employee told us he guessed he couldnt stop us from taking the elevator during a muster drill when I insisted she couldnt walk up 4 flights of stairs. Its also a argument in the port terminals to get her on a elevator. I do think its easier if you look handicapped.

I do stay with her every minute and put something around her neck with her cabin number and told her to ask for directions to the purser's desk to ask that someone bring her to her cabin if we ever get disconnected somehow. Thats my greatest fear. Hopefully, a nice person will get her to the purser's desk. She is entirely unable to figure out how to get to our cabins so far, she is totally confused. We just got off a cruise and I mistakenly thought she could walk straight into the dining room when I let her off the elevator, but even that was too hard. Thats the only time I have tried to leave her on her own and wouldnt make that mistake again. I will sit her down and say wait if I need to run someplace.

Thanks, yes.

I think its that they cant tell by looking she has balance problems, even though she walks funny. We rotate cruiselines so I get confused who is helpfull and who isnt. Our April cruise on RCI a smart assed cruiseline employee told us he guessed he couldnt stop us from taking the elevator during a muster drill when I insisted she couldnt walk up 4 flights of stairs. Its also a argument in the port terminals to get her on a elevator. I do think its easier if you look handicapped.

I do stay with her every minute and put something around her neck with her cabin number and told her to ask for directions to the purser's desk to ask that someone bring her to her cabin if we ever get disconnected somehow. Thats my greatest fear. Hopefully, a nice person will get her to the purser's desk. She is entirely unable to figure out how to get to our cabins so far, she is totally confused. We just got off a cruise and I mistakenly thought she could walk straight into the dining room when I let her off the elevator, but even that was too hard. Thats the only time I have tried to leave her on her own and wouldnt make that mistake again. I will sit her down and say wait if I need to run someplace.

You are one very special sister! ;)

I have a question..... My aunt was in an auto accident which has messed up her ankle. She cannot bend it beyond just an inch or 2 so doing stairs is impossible for her. My MIL had back surgery a year ago where they put pins/screws into her spine. She slipped about a week ago and jarred something loose. She is not able to have another surgery till the spring...she too cannot do stairs. Our cruise is in Jan 2008. Both MIL and aunt can stand in line for just a bit before starting to hurt. Should we let our PVP know and request assistance for boarding for them? Also assistance when it comes to the muster drill? Neither one needs a wheelchair but they would have to use the elevator to go to a different deck of the ship.

Archived