Suggestions Please

Bipp1978

I am a first time cruiser and planning to take a cruise at Christmas (alone) to the Mexican Riviera (likely departing on 12/23). I've narrowed the list to three cruise lines/ships: Carnival Pride, HAL Ryndam and Dawn Princess.

Suggestions? Most gay friendly? Most likely to not have a ton of kids? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Princess and Carnival will have a ton of kids, especially on a holiday cruise. HAL will have fewer kids, because it attracts an older crowd. Did you consider NCL? They run a much more modern ship on that route, and not quite as kid overrun as Princess and Carnival.

Hi Bipp,

Since you are cruising during a major holiday stay away from Carnival, RCI and perhaps Princess.....However Princess is known as the queen ships and need I say more....the best night club I was ever at on a ship was on Princess....that place rocked till 4am. I have seen a lot of posts about HAL attracting and older crowd which is not completely correct.....I have sailed on HAL over 20 different cruises....the longer the cruise the older the crowd. However on a 7 night cruise you will have a very good mix...you will have kids on HAL but HAL does a very good job with the kids and they do not let them run wild like Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Don't be afraid of HAL.....they run a tight ship and those beds are excellent. Hint: On the Ryndam, the outside stateroom all have bathtubs. So go and have a great cruise.....

We're going on Princess again this Christmas. We were on the Sun Princess last year. This year, I'm sure there will be lots more kids, but we picked an early cruise that's 10-nights long (Emerald Princess, Dec. 16-26). I probably wouldn't go at Christmas on a 7-night cruise. But if I did, a smaller ship such as the Dawn Princess or the Ryndam would be the way to go.

Of the three, i would go for the Princess ship. We found HAAL to be dull and the crowd rather old (not that there is anything wrong with that but the activities were geared to them and not a 40 year-ld).

What are you looking for in a cruise? That might help people help you.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I actually booked a 7 day cruise on the Carnival Pride that leaves 12/23 (against everyone's advice...I know). I'm open minded and REALLY excited about going. I think that it will be a great week. Hopefully I will meet some fabulous folks on board, but if not, I plan to relax and enjoy the sun and scenery!

Thanks again!

Archived