Radisson Amsterdam

Jimmers

We are doing a TA on JOS, Mar 30 of next year. Signed up with RCI for a stay over at the Radison in Amsterdam. We did a virtual tour online and it seems like a decent place. Anyone have any experience with the hotel? Any good attractions nearby. besides the red light district of course which I understand is just around the corner. Is it safe to walk around or should we stick with groups and organized tours?.

Thanks

Jimmers

Yeah, Radison is located in the centre. Very good location. Dam Square, Royal Palace and Hermitage are nearby to walk. Also Van Gogh museum, Rijksmuseum, Anne Frank House and Flowermarket are within some minutes if you go by public transport. With a group nothing to worry about to walk in the red light district, safe for you. But always in whole city - as everywhere - be aware of pickpockets.

Jimmers --

While doing research for our trip this past summer (I LOVED Amsterdam), I learned that Google maps (just click on MAPS on the Google homepage) are a great help for learning about hotels --and just about everything else.

One of the things that the maps will do is to show you pictures and reviews (not just in English) of the hotels. Type in the name of your hotel and Amsterdam NL and it will take you to the reviews via a pop-up bubble over the map. You can see satellite pictures of the area and you can search nearby for restaurants (with reviews) or shops or whatever you need. You can also get driving directions.

I now use Google maps whenever I need to find a hotel in a strange city.

BY the way, we wondered around Amsterdam on our own and we rode the trams all over town. We never felt uncomfortable or worried (well, at least in the areas where we were walking). Though do watch out for the bicycle traffic -- they have the right of way.:eek:

We stayed there a few months ago and loved the location and the hotel. The package we were on included dinner and breakfast. The dinner was excellent. We were able to walk to many of the sights we wanted to see. The only down side, if there was one, was the room we were in. It was on the very top floor with a steeply sloped ceiling. The head of the bed was under the slope and we continually bumped our heads on the ceiling. After a while, we decided to pull the bed out into the middle of the floor to avoid the pain. The bellman who delivered our luggage stated that in four years of working at the hotel he had never seen this room. Apparently, it's only used with everything else is full. All this aside, I'd stay there again!

Archived