? about what I can put in my luggage for a flight

Sandi149

I haven't flown since all these new airline restrictions have been put into place and I am wondering what type of liquids, i.e. shampoo, lotions, sprays, makeup, etc can I put into my luggage? Can I put them in my regular luggage or do they have to be the small travel size? What can I put in my carryon? How about medications, can I keep those in my carryon or purse?

Thanks in advance.

• Administrators
I haven't flown since all these new airline restrictions have been put into place and I am wondering what type of liquids, i.e. shampoo, lotions, sprays, makeup, etc can I put into my luggage? Can I put them in my regular luggage or do they have to be the small travel size? What can I put in my carryon? How about medications, can I keep those in my carryon or purse?

Thanks in advance.

In your carryon you are limited to liquids 3 oz or less, in a 1 quart clear plastic bag. The bag should be removed from your carryon bag and put on the xray machine separately. Larger sizes should go in your checked luggage (I'd put them in a ziploc bag, too, in case of spillage). Here's TSA's site for more information -- http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm.

Medications should be in the original prescription bottle or OTC container, and you can keep them in your carryon. Hope that, plus the TSA site, helps.

And yes, the boards are going crazy tonight -- you can click the red triangle in the upper right of the "extra" posts and the Host will remove them for you.

In regards to the medication... If it is a liquid or aerosol you will need to remove it while you go through security. I always put my inhaler/daughters liquid cold meds in a gallon size ziplock back. That way I can easily pull it out and show them that it's medicine. They do want it removed from your bag while it goes through x-ray. If you don't they will search your bag.

Don't forget that hand sanitzer stuff has to be less than 3 oz and fit into that quart bag!! (Lipgloss, mascara, lotion , etc)

As for your checked luggage if you want to pack your giant 32 oz of shampoo you can. :)

I know that the regs say that prescriptions have to be in their original containers, but those of us who get our prescriptions in 3 month supplies quite often don't choose to take those large bottles in our carry-ons. I just put mine in my weekly container and have never had a problem. I put extras in my checked luggage in case I have a delay somewhere along the route.

Sandi, you can put any size liquids in your checked luggage. The 3 oz or smaller applies to carry-ons only. Each passenger is allowed one quart sized bag filled with liquids/gels. When you go through security, you'll have to remove this bag from your carry-on and put in one of the bins. I believe you can also have liquid medications that don't have to be in 3 oz containers, but since I don't have any, I'm not sure about the rules for that. Meds in pill form can either be in your carry-on or your purse - they aren't concerned with pills. I travel for work a lot - a lot of one or two night stays, so I like to just carry on. I have a bag all set to go with toothpaste, facial cleanser, toner, moisturizer, eye cream, eye makeup remover, toothpaste, mousse, hairspray, foundation, and mascara. I use hotel shampoo, conditioner, and lotion.

FYI - Lipgloss needs to go in the baggie. Lipstick does not have to.

This is all I could find. Go to your airline website for further info. ALWAYS put meds in your carry on. I work for drs and if needed, get a note from them that you require such and such. I type these letters all the time. 3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.

Consolidate bottles into one bag and X-ray separately to speed screening.

Be prepared. Each time TSA searches a carry-on it slows down the line. Practicing 3-1-1 will ensure a faster and easier checkpoint experience.

3-1-1 is for short trips. If in doubt, put your liquids in checked luggage.

Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, breast milk, and juice are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint.

Come early and be patient. Heavy travel volumes and the enhanced security process may mean longer lines at security checkpoints.

BTW, contact solutions can be any size they just have to be declared at secruity. If you are wonder about a certain product, if you can cut it and it keeps its shape then it doesn't have to be in that ziploc bag. Don't be like my mom who thinks you can take a BIG tube of toothpaste!!! Secruity of course took it, and she had to buy a new one!!! She was so upset over it, we found it to be funny!!!lol

FYI - Lipgloss needs to go in the baggie. Lipstick does not have to.

Is it just me, or is this completely ridiculous? Does anyone really believe that this level of silliness is making us safer?

• Administrators
Is it just me, or is this completely ridiculous? Does anyone really believe that this level of silliness is making us safer?

Nope, but I'm not wasting a nanosecond of travel time arguing that with the oh-so-educated-and-trained employees of TSA at the airport. :) It's easier to "go along to get along" to where I want to be!

I put my meds (including liquid meds) in my carryon. I would put the liquid med in the quart sized plastic bag. For any toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, makeup, etc.,) I pack that in large plastic bags in my checked luggage. I don't even try and take any of that through in my carryon.

You also cannot bring half full bottles of liquids in your carry-on... like a 6 oz bottle of mouthwash that's less than half full. It has to be a 3 oz size bottle/tube or smaller.

And it's not worth arguing with the TSA agent... they can make your life miserable if they want to.

Go to tsa.gov for your up to date accurate information.

As far as prescription medications being carried in containers without "drug store labels" it is a danger to do so IF you are stopped for a search.

We were at a airline baggage claims area and a drug sniffing dog "hit positive" on this old (she was older than us and we are old ourseves:D ) lady. The agent asked if she had prescription medicine in her purse. She said yes. He asked to see it. She opened her purse and he looked inside and read the lables on her medication. He told her that it is good that she had them in the drug store bottles. He thanked her and told her to go on ahead. He then gave his dog a "treat" for hitting positive on drugs.

So keep your med's in their drug store containers.

Thanks for all your replies. I think I will put everything in my checked luggage. I don't want to go through the hassle.

Also, I hear they make you take your shoes off. Do they do that to everyone?

Last time I flew, yes. It's hard to figure out rhyme or reason to the regulations, but let's all remember the reason for it. :( I think they DID lift the ban on lighters now.

Last time I flew, yes. It's hard to figure out rhyme or reason to the regulations, but let's all remember the reason for it. :( I think they DID lift the ban on lighters now.

Yeah I'm reading the TSA site now and they did lift the ban on regular lighters.

I hear they make you take your shoes off. Do they do that to everyone?

Yes. There are signs and announcements as you go through the security checkpoint. You need to take your shoes off and place them in the plastic bin, then send them through the X-ray machine.

Also - if you're traveling with large electronic devices (examples: laptop, portable DVD player, CPAP machine), the devices must be removed from your carry-on or their carry cases, placed in a plastic bin, and sent through X-ray as well.

TSA - working hard to keep you safe. LOL!

no they do not......actually at Dulles and National the WMAA provides those doctor-type footwear covers for your tootsies...like what doctors wear over their shoes in the OR.....problem is the bi ns are right next to the front of the line as you are about to put your stuff on the belt....conventional wisdom would say have them at the entrance to the line before the scanners...by the baggies they provide!

oh, and belts have to be removed, along with coins-anything big and metal, like a watch. wedding rings are OK...

and whatever anyone does..NEVER EVER put prescription meds in your checked bags....i lost count of how many times others have done this recently, had their bags lost, then yelled at the airline people!

BTW..you can carry an EMPTY water bottle thru security and fill it up on the other side...that way you can get H2O out of the fountain and bot pay $4 bucks....!!

Jane, I myself don't have any joint replacements, but I work for Orthopedic surgeons and type the notes up all the time for our patients who are flying. Can't hurt to have it! Ask your DH'es dr to write you a letter and keep it with his passport.

Archived