Cancellation Policy

Flagship1

Although I have read these boards for years this is my first time posting. My wife and I booked the Nov. 30th Ft. Lauderdale 7 day cruise for a Penthouse A stateroom. We have just heard from our attorney that our lawsuit against our builder has been set for trial by the Court for Dec. 3rd and that the Judge will not consider moving it.

I promptly contacted our agent at Regent (we booked directly with the line) asking if we could transfer our paid-in full payment to a later Regent cruise (even a more expensive one). His response was that was not permitted by Regenticon8.gif I even offered to send a copy of the Court Order.

I can understand if we called a week before sailing. We are almost 60 days out from the cruise (plenty of time for Regent to resell our cabin). We have no control over what the Court does (anyone ever involved in our legal system understands this). I did read the cancellation policy shown on the brochure we received after booking (but it is totally silent on "transfers".

I do not understand why Regent does not take the same course of action that the airlines do -- credit you for the ticket you can not use for a later flight and if the fare is greater, pay the difference (together with a "penalty" rebooking fee).

With SilverSea and Seabourne building newer ships, I would think that Regent would try to court (sorry for the pun) some goodwill with its clients (after all, this is not some 3 day promo junket to Nassau).

This is our first time with Regent and their response is not one I would expect from a luxury cruise line. I would appreciate receiving any ideas or thoughts from fellow cruisers on this topic and how to proceed. Thanks!

Mike

Regent's cancellation policies are pretty much the same as most other lines. I'm not sure even travel cancellation insurance would help you in this instance since most only allow cancellation for jury duty (I'm assuming you don't have trip insurance.) Some lines (i.e., Celebrity) have their own policies which do allow future credit and also allow cancellation for any reason. Cruise line cancellation policies are a personal annoyance to me since the penalties often greatly exceed the actual damages incurred by the line. Any line which offered future credit for a cancelled cruise (minus some sort of re-booking fee) would certainly earn my gratitude.

I did look into trip insurance but found that the coverages provided did not apply to "legal" matters (including lost or delayed passports). Since we are in excellant health and have substantial medical insurance on our own, these policies would do us little good.

I believe that regent and other cruise lines are doing both themselves and their customers a great disservice in not permitting a transfer to a future cruise when the reason for cancellation is not within the control of the customer.

Our legal system requires both parties to a lawsuit (plaintiff and defendant) to be present in court for trial (one having the right to cross-examine witnesses against you).

Unfortunately here in NC the Judge has tremendous discretion and power and when he tells you to jump you reply "how high"?

The sad thing here is that although the Court tells you to be present at a date certain, the Judge can on his own move that date to a later date on the day you show up.

So the gamble is -- do you cut your losses and take a 25% cancellation penalty now or risk going on the trip only to have your attorney call you on the ship to tell you that you lost your case since you were not there?

Regardless -- I fail to see what harm Regent incurrs in this situation with a transfer.

You rolled the dice and you lost. I.e., you didn't buy cancellation insurance. We're going two weeks later, and I thought about NOT buying insurance this time, but did anyways. It was only a couple of hundred bucks. Of course, I would have looked at the fine print closely to see if it covered this sort of event, if I guess that this might happen.

Sorry for your financial loss--hope you try Regent again.

I do not think that I rolled the dice and lost as I have not found any cancellation policy that covers this situation. In looking at the fine print with those policies -- they are quite specific about "pre-existing" conditions - let alone with any provision regarding "legal contingencies". As I referred to in an earlier posting -- an "inadequate" or "deficient" passport does not trigger coverage under a cancellation policy.

One thing that sets apart a "luxury" company (whether it be a cruise line, hotel - ie- Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, etc.) - is how they make things right for the client.

Unfortunately service is fast disappearing in this country (just think about how many buttons you have to push on your phone before getting a live voice when you call a company). As my father once told me -- you get a lot more business with honey than with vinegar.

Where is the harm to Regent in all of this?

There are insurance policies that allow you to cancel for any reasons. Granted, they are expensive, but you could have just insured the trip "for any reason" and opted out of the medical insurance.

For most of these policies you have to purchase the insurance within 2 or 3 days of booking the trip.

I do not think that I rolled the dice and lost as I have not found any cancellation policy that covers this situation. In looking at the fine print with those policies -- they are quite specific about "pre-existing" conditions - let alone with any provision regarding "legal contingencies". As I referred to in an earlier posting -- an "inadequate" or "deficient" passport does not trigger coverage under a cancellation policy.

One thing that sets apart a "luxury" company (whether it be a cruise line, hotel - ie- Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, etc.) - is how they make things right for the client.

Unfortunately service is fast disappearing in this country (just think about how many buttons you have to push on your phone before getting a live voice when you call a company). As my father once told me -- you get a lot more business with honey than with vinegar.

Where is the harm to Regent in all of this?

Lot's of insurance policies that would cover your situation. You just rolled snake eyes ya gotta live with it. A good TA could find one for you in about 2 minutes. As said before such insurance must be purchased within a few days of original booking.

I appreciate the comments from the other members but some of you are missing the point. As one of the members stated there are cruise lines that allow a person to transfer their payment to a subsequent cruise.

There is NO harm done to Regent. On many of the boards that I have read about Regent -- the prevailing theme is that because they are a luxury cruise line and supposedly the "best of the best" -- more is expected from them.

If the airlines can do this (along with some cruise companies) is it unreasonable to ask Regent for the same consideration?

Would you not expect a Ritz-Carlton to treat a guest with more consideration than a Days Inn?

Maybe a tip off should have been the numerous comments about vibration problems on Voyager and Navigator -- but when I asked the representative from Regent about them (as I initially requested a Seven Seas aft suite) I was told that there was no problem and that "minor vibration" is encountered in the aft of all ships.

Well I used to build luxury private yachts for a living and that is just not the case.

But I also realize that one is not too old to learn new lessons -- but I just never expected that of a cruise line like Regent which I was trying for the first time and it looks like for the last time (I have been on other cruises with other lines).

Once again - thank you for all of your comments.

I am sorry that this happened to you but as you said you were aware of the cancelation policies. You took a calculated risk and lost. The non risky position would have been not to book the cruise, as you had a case pending. The fact that you don't have control over the court calendar has no bearing on this. If I book a cruise and the week before my husband has a business emergency and can't go, I also don't have control over that but that isn't the cruise line's problem.

We don't know if the cruise line can or cannot sell your cabin. I don't think that date is necessarily peak season for cruises as it is sandwiched between Thanksgiving and Christmas and a lot of people don't want to travel then. But that is not even relevant. Would I prefer that the cruise lines offered more flexibility? Sure!

Flagship,

As far as I know the cruise companies that give you a credit for a future cruise do this if you buy the insurance they offer for it. In other words, it's not a given, you have to pay to be covered for cancelling "for any reason". If you don't buy the coverage, you would be in the same position you are today.

You keep repeating "there is NO harm done to Regent", and again I say, you don't know that. It could be there is no othere buyer for that cabin anymore, or that they might have to substantially discount it to attract somebody.

I agree with the OP - there is something about a "spirit of cooperation" that I believe is just good business. Regent doesn't have to do a thing for him - but I am surprised they wouldn't WANT to - after all, he sounds like if he were pleased with the product he would book numerous times. I believe that high end cruise lines know the value of a good customer versus aquiring new customers.

Once again - it isn't want the legally can do - it is what they are willing to do that speaks volumes. I say Regent is amiss at not evening throwing him some kind of bone.

I agree with the OP - there is something about a "spirit of cooperation" that I believe is just good business. Regent doesn't have to do a thing for him - but I am surprised they wouldn't WANT to - after all, he sounds like if he were pleased with the product he would book numerous times. I believe that high end cruise lines know the value of a good customer versus aquiring new customers.

Once again - it isn't want the legally can do - it is what they are willing to do that speaks volumes. I say Regent is amiss at not evening throwing him some kind of bone.

Surfklutz,

If they did that for this passenger, they would have to do it for anybody that had to cancel due to a situation outside their control. Unless they are prepared to formally change their cancellation policy ( which I would welcome!) , I don't think that would be a wise move.

It sounds to me like you only spoke with one person at Regent; you have nothing to lose my writing a nice letter to Regent (including a copy of the court date paper) and addressing it to Guest Relations at the Fort Lauderdale office. You have nothing to lose and you may get a different response at this level. Good luck!

Regardless -- I fail to see what harm Regent incurrs in this situation with a transfer.

.....it seems that if the cruise lines took up a policy to do "transfers".....it would open Pandora's box........what do they allow as a reason for transfers?????

My take is........they want nothing to do with reasons......and they want you to turn over the situations.......to be handled by others......insurance companies....;)

Although I have read these boards for years this is my first time posting. My wife and I booked the Nov. 30th Ft. Lauderdale 7 day cruise for a Penthouse A stateroom. We have just heard from our attorney that our lawsuit against our builder has been set for trial by the Court for Dec. 3rd and that the Judge will not consider moving it.

I promptly contacted our agent at Regent (we booked directly with the line) asking if we could transfer our paid-in full payment to a later Regent cruise (even a more expensive one). His response was that was not permitted by Regenticon8.gif I even offered to send a copy of the Court Order.

I can understand if we called a week before sailing. We are almost 60 days out from the cruise (plenty of time for Regent to resell our cabin). We have no control over what the Court does (anyone ever involved in our legal system understands this). I did read the cancellation policy shown on the brochure we received after booking (but it is totally silent on "transfers".

I do not understand why Regent does not take the same course of action that the airlines do -- credit you for the ticket you can not use for a later flight and if the fare is greater, pay the difference (together with a "penalty" rebooking fee).

With SilverSea and Seabourne building newer ships, I would think that Regent would try to court (sorry for the pun) some goodwill with its clients (after all, this is not some 3 day promo junket to Nassau).

This is our first time with Regent and their response is not one I would expect from a luxury cruise line. I would appreciate receiving any ideas or thoughts from fellow cruisers on this topic and how to proceed. Thanks!

Mike

Most cruise line insurance has an cancel for any reason for a percentage towards the next cruise. Most cruise insurance will also not cover where you are the plaintiff but only when called as a witness ....I have never heard of case(and I am a lawyer) where the plaintiff or defense can show non cancellable arrangements that they can't get a reasonable postponement but then I don't practice in Florida. Perhaps if you get a letter from your lawyer and the court Regent may make an exception...

There are insurance policies that allow you to cancel for any reasons. Granted, they are expensive, but you could have just insured the trip "for any reason" and opted out of the medical insurance.

For most of these policies you have to purchase the insurance within 2 or 3 days of booking the trip.

And considering cruises are expensive, this is the reason to ALWAYS carry insurance. My other thought was if you had used an experienced TA you might have had better luck, because then he/she could have gone to bat for you. Especially if the agent placed $$$$$$$$ of business with Regent, like ours does.

They are quite clear though that the tickets are nonrefundable. You took a gamble and you lost.

Have you ever considered the number of cruises that are paid in full, then canceled within the penalty period and the client is paid back with insurance funds. The cruise lines keep that money in full. It is a whole source of income that most people do not consider - especially when they often resell the stateroom before the cruise sails.

How much you value your sold and committed customer is manifest in how you treat them. Budget cruise lines depend on getting new clients all the time - their lost leader pricing proves that. Luxury lines generally like to hold on to their high paying clients. I just believe that disregarding the whole situation to his plight is not very good business. I believe that they should in "the spirit of cooperation" at least give him a partial credit to move to another date. And what that does is give them money on the front end - and money on his rescheduled voyage - and probably a customer in the future.

What do they have now? They have all his money - but nothing in the future and not much hope of a future client.

Everyone has a good and valid opinion on this issue, but my professional opinion is that Regent should work with the client and as a good will gesture transfer the booking. There is nothing better in the travel business then a happy client.

It can be done by Regent on a case by case. It does not have to set a precedent. I suggest going higher up in management.

Good luck:)

As with any issue there will be 2 sides of opinions which is healthy.

One suggestion is to contact management at a higher level which I will certainly do.

Another comment was that I should have used an experienced TA with Regent. Unfortunately in the area where I live I have not found such a person -- thus I dealt directly with the cruise line in booking the cruise -- thinking that if a person goes directly to the source you will have developed a better "relationship" with the provider of the service. Obviously a wrong assumption.

In my business -- it is so much easier (and less expensive) to keep and further a business relationship with someone you already have contact with than go out and seek new customers. Too often businesses look at only the short term profit and not the long term picture.

As one reader accurately pointed out that if this matter is unaddressed by Regent then my business will go elsewhere along with that of my friends as there are other high end cruise lines out there with newer ships coming on line.

I picked Regent based upon much of what I have read on these boards -- but now I am not so sure .............

All of the cruise lines take a very hard line on cancellations within the penalty period. It is impossible for a line to say, "OK, this reason is 'good enough'" and that one isn't. Trying to appease one person just opens the floodgates to having more disgruntled ones. Hence the rule, 'er 'um contract provision.

Also, there is "cancel for any reason" insurance offered by some third party insurance companies and even the cruise line's insurance would cover this situation.

Personally, as an attorney and TA, I would think the proper place to be making the argument is to the judge or, if necessary, the assignment judge above him. I do not think I have ever heard of a court ordering someone to loose thousands of dollars for a pre-paid vacation so they can appear for trial...though we don't have all the facts (Is this a first adjournment request? Is there injunctive relief sought? Are there issues which would cause this adjournment to delay the trial for x many more months? etc.)

I am not sure what Regent did when offering the insurance as far as explanation goes, but this seems like a situation where a good TA might have assisted in avoiding this problem.

Archived