Cancellation Policy

Flagship1

A good TA should have a solid understanding of the policies that are available, but TAs are not lawyers or insurance brokers, so be sure to read the info on the policies yourself. So, let the TA assist you in narrowing down choices and then YOU make the decision.

Whose specialty is it? :rolleyes:

My TA has an in-depth understanding of travel insurance and provides excellent advice on the different choices based on our needs and the type of travel we are planning. She sees it as part of her job as a travel agent.

Clearly not the TA who told the client that only the cruise insurance will cover pre-existing conditions.

While it may be part of her job, its not where she makes her money or her training. I would use the websites that specialize in it.

Well just a moment here. Under some circumstances, the cruise line's insurance is the only one that will cover pre-existing conditions. Example. All the independent carriers I could find would cover pre-existing conditions only if the insurance were purchased within 14 or 15 days of deposit. After that, pre-existing conditions would be covered only if the person had not seen a doctor for them, nor had a medication change for them in a designated period before policy purchase -- for 60 to 120 days depending on policy. My wife has a pre-existing condition which is monitored by her doctor more frequently than every 60 days. I don't like to buy the travel insurance too far before final payment date, as if I chose to cancel in the non-penalty period, the premiums are forfeited.

The cruise line's insurance had a different rule. Pre-existing conditions are covered if the policy is purchased by final payment date.

So, while it is untrue to say that only the line's insurance will cover pre-existing conditions, the rules are different for the independent policies compared to the line's policy. It is not uncommon for a person to find himself "caught" in that difference, so that the line's policy IS the only one covering pre-existing conditions. I found myself in that situation just yesterday.

Richard,

Right now, both CSA and HTH waive the pre-existing conditions clause if the policy is purchased with 24-hours of FINAL payment. Policies changes all the time but, this is true for both these insurers today.

Debbie

Well just a moment here. Under some circumstances, the cruise line's insurance is the only one that will cover pre-existing conditions. Example. All the independent carriers I could find would cover pre-existing conditions only if the insurance were purchased within 14 or 15 days of deposit. After that, pre-existing conditions would be covered only if the person had not seen a doctor for them, nor had a medication change for them in a designated period before policy purchase -- for 60 to 120 days depending on policy. My wife has a pre-existing condition which is monitored by her doctor more frequently than every 60 days. I don't like to buy the travel insurance too far before final payment date, as if I chose to cancel in the non-penalty period, the premiums are forfeited.

As Debbie indicates in her post , you are wrong on your comment. Both CSA and HTH offer it within 24 hrs of FINAL payment. I just reserached this a couple of months ago , as as of then it was being offered.

Also remember what is insurance and travel reimbursement. Some companies claim they are travel reimbursement companies and not insurance. The difference is they don't have to be licensed in the State you live and your state insurance commissioner doesn't have licensing control over them....(which includes minimum financial controls responsibility and access to your state's consumer protection rules and financial responsibility fund if any....

• 2 weeks later...

:) Thank you to all of the CruiseCritic members who have taken the time to both read and reply to my initial thread (especially Dolebludger).

As you can see from my :) Regent stepped up to the plate and promptly addressed my situation after I contacted them by letter. Regent understood the unique situation that we were in and resolved it in a satisfactory manner.

As a result we have rebooked with Regent for a longer and more expensive cruise on the Navigator (2/25/08). Regent's personal service and attention has earned them my business.

By going through this process I have learned much about both the pros and cons of insurance.

If there are any other CruiseCritic members on this February cruise, I would enjoy meeting with you on the ship.

Thanks again!

Flagship:

Very happy to hear this matter has been resolved in a reasonable manner. Regent has always been reasonable with me, and it is good to see that they have been reasonable with you. There really needs to be some revamping in the standard cruise line cancellation policy to take into account situations wherein the booked guest is ordered to appear in court in conflict with the cruise dates. Perhaps somebody from Regent will see this and consider it.

:) Thank you to all of the CruiseCritic members who have taken the time to both read and reply to my initial thread (especially Dolebludger).

As you can see from my :) Regent stepped up to the plate and promptly addressed my situation after I contacted them by letter. Regent understood the unique situation that we were in and resolved it in a satisfactory manner.

As a result we have rebooked with Regent for a longer and more expensive cruise on the Navigator (2/25/08). Regent's personal service and attention has earned them my business.

By going through this process I have learned much about both the pros and cons of insurance.

If there are any other CruiseCritic members on this February cruise, I would enjoy meeting with you on the ship.

Thanks again!

It's reassuring Regent did the right thing, I expected they would.

Now we'll all keep our fingers crossed and hope the court action isn't postponed to late Feb!

I'm glad to hear that Regent did right by you. I have also found they would step up to the plate. For the Navigator, I'd seriously look into insurance and I'd also consider getting a good travel agent. Our agent has always been on top of things. When our fare for our New Years cruise last year dropped, she made sure we got the discount. It's those little things and her knowledge that makes it easier for us.

HTH Worldwide offers coverage for pre-existing conditions if you buy it within 24 hours of FINAL PAYMENT.

Wendy, and other Canucks take note: HTH Worldwide does not sell to Canadians. I emailed them for a quote and was told that they don't sell to us.

Pat

Holland America Lines policy for Cancel for Any Reason would have paid you back 95% in cash on your credit card from final payment until 31 days. At 30 days until 24 hours before departure you would get back 90% in cash. It is he only cruiseoline policy that I have seen like this. Other 3rd party policys offer 75% back, but it sounds like you would be getting that anyway.

Thanks again!

Great!

As I write this, my husband and I should be on board the Voyager in the Med celebrating our 20th Wedding anniversary with another couple who are our dearest friends. One week before we were due to fly to Rome, our 17 year old son had to be hospitalized. We had taken out insurance with Access America so we called our friends and all agreed that we would make a decision over the weekend pending his diagnosis. He was diagnosed as bipolar, and had to be in the hospital for 5 days and then had to be in an outpatient program for another 9 days from 8-5 every day. My husband's parents would not have been able to deal with all this, we were very overwhelmed and knew this was where we needed to be. Well guess what? Access America does not cover cancellation for any mental illness!! So we are supposed to leave our minor child in hospital and go on vacation? They told us to file the paperwork, it will be denied and we can appeal! Regent are not obliged to help us in any way as the insurance policy was not through their Regent Care. We even asked them if we could give the cruise to friends and they said no. Our friends had to go on without us and were so sad having to do this as we really wanted to do the cruise together. On top of having to deal with our son's illness, we now stand to lose thousands of dollars. So I wanted to warn everyone out there to read any insurance policy you buy from top to bottom. I think insurance companies have so many clauses that it is almost not worthwhile taking out a policy.

Angie, did you write the president of Regent or did you just go to their customer service? This is a case where I believe it's necessary to go to the top. Do you have a good TA who can go to bat for you? It seems to me if you're willing to move the booking to another cruise, they should allow it same as they did for flagship. You did what you were supposed to do.

Another option? Get a note from the hospital stating that it's a medical disorder, because once you're doing meds, it technically is. You're dealing with a medical doctor, correct?

I feel for you and your family and wish you all the best in dealing with a difficult situation. I'm sure with your love and support your son will begin to deal with his disability.

Yes we do have a TA and she is going to bat for us with Regent even though it is not their problem as we cancelled within a week of departure. Regent have been very nice and have said if we get absolutely nothing from Access America they may consider doing something for us. They did refund our port charges. My son is doing fantastically well, the doc seems to have hit the nail on the head as regards the meds so in that respect we couldn't be better. He has said every day he could not have gotten through this without our love and support and there was no way we could leave him here in the care of the in-laws! There will be other cruises. It was more throwing the money down the tubes that bothered us.

Thanks for your advice.

I am sorry to learn of your need to cancel as well as your

son's illness, the latter every parent's anxiety.

Do NOT allow your insurance company to claim that this

is an emotional illness............there is much strong evidence

to support that bipolar is a organically based biochemical imbalance.

Hence, it is a physical illness. It is not the same as someone becoming

upset over a broken prom date or the loss of a job promotion. It is

treated w. biochemical agents. I hope that you will push your

insurance company on this. I strongly suspect that they will lose!

Paula said it better than I did. This is not something treatable with just a pat on the back from a weekly session from a therapist (although that will help also), but requires meds like any other medical condition.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

I am happy to report that Access America paid us out for the cancellation of our cruise! I think the fact that our son was hospitalized and was a minor played a role in it. We initially got refused and then sent in an appeal. It was worth filing all the paperwork and getting the doctor to write something for us!

• 2 weeks later...

We put down our deposit in November for an August cruise with the final payment due in April. Our TA urges us to purchase trip insurance immediately because of the "preexisting conditions" clause. We have only controlled chronic conditions at this point and do not feel this would be called a preexisting condition. I believe if we had to cancel for medical reasons, it would not be for these conditions.

Don't you think we can wait to purchase insurance right before final payment in April, as this would cover the 90 day preexisting conditions language?

Thank you. I hope I have described this clearly!

Archived