Neptune lounge

jamscckmc

There is no free mini-bar set-up, even for the Penthouse Suites, like there is on Princess.

The Neptune Lounge hours usually are 7:00am to 7:00pm, but it can vary somewhat. They normally serve what I call finger foods, appropriate to the time of day. Various fruit juices are available, and there's a coffee machine where you can either prepare your own preferred type of coffee (espresso, cappuccino, etc.) or the Concierge or her/his Attendant will do so. But I've found that they'll bring you most anything in the way of food - again appropriate to the time of day - if you ask. There's also a selection of cereals and pastries in the morning.

Sorry, no free minibar setup for deluxe suite passangers.

The Neptune Lounge is available for all deluxe suite passengers, categories S or SA-SC. On the Zaandan recently the hours were 7AM to I think 7:30PM. There are about four different food settings depending on time of day starting with continental breakfast choices.

For more information try doing a thread title search for Neptune Lounge.

On port days the Neptune Lounge opens at 7 while on sea days it opens at 7:30 - this is for most ships. It can vary according to itinerary. It closes around 8 or 8:30 - again depends on ship and itinerary.

Breakfast: cold cereals, rolls, pastries, meats, cheeses, yogurt. juices - wonderdul coffee machine as mentioned.

Around 11 AM breakfast is removed and small snack sandwiches, cookies, chocolates and lots of other small pastries are put out. They are replaced every couple of hours or as needed.

At 5 PM cold appetizers along with crudets are available until closing.

The Continental Breakfast they put out each day is very nice. Cereal, yogurt, muselix, fresh fruit, muffins/danish/donuts, juices etc

In addition to the finger foods CrystalLady described, they often put out cookies/poundcake/homemde chocolates in the afternoon. Then there are cold hors d'ouerves and crudite and dip.

We enjoy Neptune Lounge very much and it definitely enhances our enjoyment of our cruises.

Thin in terms of a hotel concierge club but with no liquor. The only soft drinks or liquor you will see there is when they run a private suite party. They then set up a bar and offer just about anything you could want.......with some exceptions. ;)

Pitchers of Ice water and iced tea/juice are available all day.

the espresso machine is fabulous ... we use it every morning for our coffee - much better than what they bring to room .. and you get it the way you want it.

the fruits and other condiments are sufficient for a basic breakfast if one is not too big on serious ones.

the afternoon stuff is useful for cocktails ...

we found that the best use of the room was the concierge service whereby they would help with arranging any shore excursions or issues that were beyond the room steward's capabilities.

harry

• 2 weeks later...

I have another question about the Neptune Lounge and the concierge service:

Everyone always says that with the Neptune Lounge available, they didn't have to go to the front desk for anything. Can you tell me:

- What sorts of things does one GENERALLY have to go to the front desk for, when you DON'T have access to the Neptune Lounge?

- Can you really do ALL of those in the Neptune Lounge and get them done just as well, without losing out on hard-to-book tours, time slots, etc.? In other words, would I be better off running around to book things rather than waiting for the concierge, if things are likely to sell out?

and

- Does it really save lots of time, aggravation, or anything else, or are the lines sometimes just as long waiting for the concierge as they'd be heading off to the appropriate department?

Thanks.

Have never had to wait for the concierge - they handle everything - booking the Pinnacle Grill for us - arranging to have dinner pre-ordered a day ahead of time on the night of our Renewal of Vows because the time set for the ROV was 1/2 hr before dinner ended. Seems like, since there are less passengers in Suites, there is no wait for the concierge - no running around the ship trying to get things booked. They even booked the Culinary Class for 3 of us. If you are in a Suite - take advantage of the concierge. They were even able to get us a HAL polo shirt for a special gift without us having to go to the shops on the day the ship sailed. Wonderful service!

Everyone always says that with the Neptune Lounge available, they didn't have to go to the front desk for anything. Can you tell me:

- What sorts of things does one GENERALLY have to go to the front desk for, when you DON'T have access to the Neptune Lounge?

- Can you really do ALL of those in the Neptune Lounge and get them done just as well, without losing out on hard-to-book tours, time slots, etc.? In other words, would I be better off running around to book things rather than waiting for the concierge, if things are likely to sell out?

and

- Does it really save lots of time, aggravation, or anything else, or are the lines sometimes just as long waiting for the concierge as they'd be heading off to the appropriate department?

Thanks.

You don't have to go to the front desk to question or pay bills, ask questions, hand in compliments or complaints, arrange for photo sessions, etc. You don't have to go to the excursion desk: the concierge will arrange the tour for you, sometimes if the excursion is otherwise sold out. (We were on one sold out excursion in Sint Maartin thanks to the concierge.) Room key not working? The concierge will get you a new one. Do you want a hole punched in the key so you can hang it on a lanyard? Ask the concierge. Need reservations in the Pinnacle Grill? They can do it for you; but you're better off doing it at the PG when you have breakfast there. Want room service, off the menus delivered to your room? No problem. The concierge ladies were great on our Noordam cruise! They did everything I mentioned, other than the PG, which we did ourselves.

I have another question about the Neptune Lounge and the concierge service:

and

Thanks.

We used the concierge a lot. For example, I ordered a bottle of liquor to be delivered on departure day. Didn't come. Called front desk and got the big, fast shuffle. Went to the concierge and had it within hours plus a tray of chocolate dipped strawberries as an apology. Also, one of our booked excursions was scheduled 2 hours earlier than I had reserved. No thank you. Concierge dealt with it pronto. In Victoria, we had heard of a restaurant. Concierge made the reservations. Told the concierge we wanted a standing 5:00p.m. order for hot hors' doeuvers. Got them every day. Made our Pinnacle Grill reservations and corrected an overcharge on the Spa service. In my view, though not essential, the Neptune Lounge with concierge service definitely improved the cruise experience.

Won't repeat what everyone else said, but not sure if these were mentioned: cashing Travelers Checks and giving you change and smaller bills for any large bills you may have brought.

Let me put it this way- you NEVER have to go to the front desk. Concierge will do more for you, get you in places that the front desk says are booked, do it all faster, and always with a smile. (And yes, for the extra special favors she deserves to be tipped.)

If your suitcase arrives with a tear or rip, she will arrange for the upholsterers to try and repair it for you.

Now that is above and beyond. Wow! It would never even have occurred to me to ask if this could be done.

So here's an esoteric question. Due to back problems, my DH and I will be bringing a special chair on board - not a wheelchair, just a cheap office chair, but it helps his back. He'll want it brought from our suite to the DR for dinner every night. It's quite light, and I can easily carry it myself, but do you think it would be appropriate to ask the concierges if they can arrange for someone to pick it up shortly before dinner? (We will have traditional main upper dining.) And - here's the really tough one - what about having it brought to HMC so he can sit in it on the beach?

Has anyone had experience with requests that in any way resembled this? Do you think either or both of them would be going too far? I don't want to ask if it's not appropriate, because I get the sense that these ladies really don't like to say no, and I wouldn't want to put them in an awkward position.

Thanks.

Just wondering if this chair folds and can be carried under one arm since you said it was light and can be easily carried? Or would you have to carry it with both hands as you would any non-folding chair?

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to find a folding one that works for him. I can carry this one in one hand, though, because there's a gap between the back and the seat, so I can sort of tuck the back under my arm. Only problem is, then the seat sticks out to my side, so it's awkward in a crowd.

O2B, I don't know what the concierge can arragne regarding the chair, but it's worth asking. If they do arrange it, both the concierge and the chair carrier would deserve special tips and thanks.

Absolutely, of course!:)

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

If they are able to arrange anyone to do this I would think it would be someone from room service. They are down at the kitchen, could run up to get the chair and then after your dinner bring it back to your room. It would be way out of the way for your room steward to do this for you and he is extremely busy at the dinner hour getting the cabins ready for the night. Another chore for him would not be fair, but room service stewards are going back and forth from the kitchen throughout that time period anyway.

Taking it to HMC would be another story. The tender guys certainly could help you on and off the tenders.

:confused: Though no experience: I'm thinking that the Ship Services Rep. should be called prior to the cruise to see what the Ship can or can't do. They have probably had a similar reqest similar to this before and have solutions or a policy about the issue. IMO its always better to know beforehand.

Neptune Lounges are somewhat different sizes depending upon the size of the ship/number of suites. Seeing as there are far more suites on Vista ships than "S" class ships, Vista Lounges are larger. None of them are huge. When there is a Suite cocktail party, if most of the suite guests come, the room is crowded. But it is rare when you find many people in there at once. With some exceptions, most people come in, get their coffee or snack, chat with the concierge for a minute or a fellow guest and leave. Some may sit and eat their breakfast or snack at one of the tables.

ok, my husband and i have a deluxe suite booked. then my mil died. so now my fil may come with us. he will NOT have a suite. can we bring him with us anywayto the nep lounge , or do we divert to the lido or whatever? i won't have him eating alone, he is with us. thanks, lauri

Archived