How Large Is The Port At Piraeus

Are all of the ships major cruise ships? Athens is VERY crowded. Lots and lots of traffic. Keep that in mind for whatever you are doing. We had taken a shore excursion that day and were glad we did. It would have been very harried on your own and worrying about getting stuck in traffic on the way back to the ship.

Piraeus is a very large port which handles cruise ships, many ferries, and commercial shipping. I doubt if the cruise facility can handle 8 ships, but the port certainly has room. As to the prior post about going on your own, if that is your desire, you can walk over to the subway that connects Pireaus to Athens (depending on your docking position it can be a long walk). There are also plenty of taxis in Athens that would love to take you to Athens, but always negotiate the price before you get in the taxi or make sure they use the meter. Athens taxi drivers are not above ripping-off tourists with ridiculous fares.

Hank

Thanks for the info.

They aren't all large cruise ships, but cruise ships none-the-less.

Celebrity Quest

Grand Princess

Nautica

Norwegian Jade

Rotterdam

Seabourn Spirit

and I don't remember the other two, I think an MSC

Will be very interesting to see the crowds there.

There were 5 or 6 ships I think when I boarded the Royal a couple months ago. Looking at it in Google Earth I can certainly see how they could fit at least 5 ships in, and I think they can put more along the edge to the west of the building. (I think the Carnival Freedom was docked somewhere over there when we were there.)

Interesting, Google Earth has new imagery of Piraeus, no longer have the messed up image of a ship from overlapping tiles right at the passenger port, and you can see the walkway over the road near the subway station.

Archived