I need major help !!!!

dresch25

Please, please be careful! I just returned from Europe with my mother and she threw 2 clots, 1 to the heart and 1 to the brain. She suffered a stroke and a heart attack shortly after landing and now is completely incapacitated for life. Hope things work out for you. If I had known what would happen I would never have taken her, but hindsight is 20/20.

Good luck and best wishes.

When are you supposed to sail? And why isn't your TA going to bat for you? S/He might be able to get the cruise line to give you something back, whether it be in a credit, etc? How close you are will make a difference in how much you might get back.

When are you supposed to sail? And why isn't your TA going to bat for you? S/He might be able to get the cruise line to give you something back, whether it be in a credit, etc? How close you are will make a difference in how much you might get back.

I believe OP said they are on the crown repo, which is a week from Saturday 10/20, so there really isn't all that much time left for the TA to do much.

I think that it really is going to come down to visiting the doctor sometime next week and just following his advise. Your husband's health is more important than a cruise!

Best of luck whatever you do.

I know this is probably a dumb question (that you've already looked into) but there's no way your credit card has the "perk" type of travel insurance on it does it? When we book a flight / cruise etc and we put it on the visa its automatically covered for trip cancellation / delay / and medical insurance for duration of the trip.

This is why people take out cruise insurance. You have that option and practically everyone who doesn't take it and has to cancel has a sob story. Allowing passengers to reschedule or get a refund totally undermines those who do go ahead and pay for insurance. If you don't get insurance for your car and total it in an accident, unless you sue, you won't get a dime.

While I'm sympathetic with the OP (I really am), it comes down to their wanting something they not only didn't pay for but made a conscious decision not to get. Any reputable TA will offer insurance or educate you. Not checking your booking when you first made it doesn't obviate you from the responsibility.

I think you misread her original post. She said she thought that she had purchased insurance and later realized that the TA hadn't added it.

Frankly, I think your best recourse would be to go with a friend as long as your husband's health is stable. If he isn't stable, then that's a different story. Is there a sister or friend who you might enjoy traveling with? I don't mean to sound indifferent, but I think there is a good chance that you will be out of luck in terms of a refund.

My daughter was scheduled to go on a cruise last March on Carnival and of course didn't think anything was going to happen and didn't get travel insurance. She came down with a very serious condition requiring major surgery and could not travel. Carnival allowed them to have someone go in her place and just substituted names and info. The person who went in her place then paid her back for her portion of the cruise so it worked out in the end.

Please, please be careful! I just returned from Europe with my mother and she threw 2 clots, 1 to the heart and 1 to the brain. She suffered a stroke and a heart attack shortly after landing and now is completely incapacitated for life. Hope things work out for you. If I had known what would happen I would never have taken her, but hindsight is 20/20.

Good luck and best wishes.

I am so sorry this happened. Prayers to your mom and your family.

This is why people take out cruise insurance. You have that option and practically everyone who doesn't take it and has to cancel has a sob story. Allowing passengers to reschedule or get a refund totally undermines those who do go ahead and pay for insurance. If you don't get insurance for your car and total it in an accident, unless you sue, you won't get a dime.

While I'm sympathetic with the OP (I really am), it comes down to their wanting something they not only didn't pay for but made a conscious decision not to get. Any reputable TA will offer insurance or educate you. Not checking your booking when you first made it doesn't obviate you from the responsibility.

Pam-

I thought the insurance was booked when I made my final payment I had the TA do the insurance, my fault for not doing it myself but I was traveling everyday to a trauma center b/c my grandmother took a bad fall with severe brain damage, To save time I asked if she could make the arrangements. She put me on hold called the Co, came back on asked for DOB and CC number, she than called back and said they needed exact flight info ect... I know I have no recourse I just wanted an opinion if we should take the chance. We decided that DH will not go and my brother will go in his place.

Next question he is coming from NJ and I from upstate NY, will Princess let him board before I get there or will they make him wait until I get there?

Thanks

Vicki

Pam-

I thought the insurance was booked when I made my final payment I had the TA do the insurance, my fault for not doing it myself but I was traveling everyday to a trauma center b/c my grandmother took a bad fall with severe brain damage, To save time I asked if she could make the arrangements. She put me on hold called the Co, came back on asked for DOB and CC number, she than called back and said they needed exact flight info ect... I know I have no recourse I just wanted an opinion if we should take the chance. We decided that DH will not go and my brother will go in his place.

Next question he is coming from NJ and I from upstate NY, will Princess let him board before I get there or will they make him wait until I get there?

Thanks

Vicki

Hi Vicki,

So sorry about your situation, but I am glad you were able to come to a resolution. Hope your husband gets better soon.About your brother coming in from NJ & you NY, first, did you call princess to make the name change on the booking (I am sure you did just wondering). OK, you are both traveling seperately and by car service I assume, just have the driver drop you off in the terminal, when you get there you can give your bags to the porter and either wait outside or just inside the doors for your brother to arrive.

BTW, we are also on the repo with Luckyroot (Hi Ruth) and we have a great roll call going. If you would like to join us please do, we will be at Tradewinds around 3pm...also official CC meeting Sunday in Bottecelli Dining Room 1pm.:)

Hi Vicki,

So sorry about your situation, but I am glad you were able to come to a resolution. Hope your husband gets better soon.About your brother coming in from NJ & you NY, first, did you call princess to make the name change on the booking (I am sure you did just wondering). OK, you are both traveling seperately and by car service I assume, just have the driver drop you off in the terminal, when you get there you can give your bags to the porter and either wait outside or just inside the doors for your brother to arrive.

BTW, we are also on the repo with Luckyroot (Hi Ruth) and we have a great roll call going. If you would like to join us please do, we will be at Tradewinds around 3pm...also official CC meeting Sunday in Bottecelli Dining Room.:)

I was hoping we wouldn't have to do that. We have 5 now going from up here, so I won't be alone I just want who ever gets there first to enjoy all of the facilities while we are waiting to sail.

Thank you Coral, Mom was a TA for 40 yrs and went around the world half a dozen times so the inability to travel now is the hardest thing for her to deal with.:(

I hope when I am older, I can say that I am (at least) half as well traveled as your mom is!

Due to a freak accident, my mom has some disabilities which makes traveling much more difficult. She loves to travel and it breaks her heart when she can't go places that she "planned to do when she was older".

These are reminders that we need to seize the day and not put off stuff we want to do until later.

did i understand correctly? if someone on the original booking is in the cabin, the 2nd passenger can be reticketed for a fee to someone else? i never knew this & it is good to know for the future.

Yes, one person's name can be changed to someone else, for a fee, but one of the original passengers needs to take the cruise. Not sure what the cut off time is before your cruise though to make the passenger change, so that you would have to check on.

Good News DH went to the doctors yesterday and she said that his clot has moved in the opposite direction and now he can go :) I am now glad that we had a problem with the travel insurance. :D :D

GREAT NEWS! Have a wonderful cruise. Bon Voyage.

This cruise is way oversold too.

You probably could have called Princess and they would have taken the cabin back.

There have been quite a few people that have said that they were offered a killer deal to postpone the cruise for a few weeks or months.

Glad it all worked out.

Yes they are overbooked, last week we changed DH to DB and there was no fee, today the TA called Princess to change it back to DH. DB took time off from work booked airfare home and I had to tell him he couldn't go now. I felt and still feel bad. We are going with my DM and DF and another couple, Mom called Princess to see what the chance was to get DB on, the agent told her it was overbooked and if we were willing to switch booking they would make it worth our while, She said no but I would be curious to see what they would have offered.

Vicki

Archived