I need major help !!!!

dresch25

DH and I booked the Crown Repo back in July, I had (so I thought) add

travel insurance well it turns out that we don't. Before you ask he gets the

cc bill and pays them, so I didn't realize that we didn't have the insurance until

I called the TA to cancel. She told me they do not have record of it. I told

her the other TA called back, they don't work on commission so anyone can

help you, to get the DOB and exact flight schedule, she said too bad so sad.

Well DH has superficial blood clots in his leg. He has been seeing a

doctor and she suggest that he does not go. His clots have moved and they

are about 6 inches from his deep vein. She is concerned about the flight from

SJ to NYC. My question is do anyone out there have this problem and if so

what do you do? We could rebook the flight to go from SJ to Orlando stay

over night and take another one the next day or take a train or rent a car.

The latter two options would allow him the ability to move around more freely.

My gut says that the price of my trip is not worth his life. He is going to

talk to the doctor to see what she has to say. I'm at a loss.

Our regular insurance will pay God Forbid he needs to be medi-vac off the

ship, I asked about pre-existing conditions it's OK

Thanks

Vicki

There are options to purchase insurance covering pre-existing considtions prior to final payment even though you made the deposit some time ago. Go to www.insuremytrip.com Two policies that offer a waiver if purchased by final are both HTH Worldwide, their Trip Protector and Preferred Trip Protector.

There are options to purchase insurance covering pre-existing considtions prior to final payment even though you made the deposit some time ago. Go to www.insuremytrip.com Two policies that offer a waiver if purchased by final are both HTH Worldwide, their Trip Protector and Preferred Trip Protector.

Final payment was made in August

Explain to Princess and see if they will rebook you at a later date. You might find they really do have a heart, and would rather do that than have your DH get sick on the cruise and disrupt their schedule. :rolleyes:

Explain to Princess and see if they will rebook you at a later date. You might find they really do have a heart, and would rather do that than have your DH get sick on the cruise and disrupt their schedule. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but Princess is very strict on their rules about no insurance. Calling them will just frustrate you even more. They will not rebook you at a later date or refund any of the money you paid without insurance. It has nothing to do with their heart, they are a business.

I would suggest, as the last poster recommened, looking into a policy that actually covers pre-existing conditions, although there will be a hefty fee for it now. Make sure to read the fine print to make sure that there isn't still a time limit on the pre-existing condition clause though. There has to be something or everyone that found a health problem without insurance would be purchasing it and they would go bankrupt.

Best of luck with this, hopefully the doctor can make a few suggestions that will allow your DH to travel safely. And I totally agree with you, you can't put a price on his life.

In my perfect world I would cancel with money back and rebook when his condition has improved. I doubt any travel insurance company would allow me to purchase the insur and then cancel the same day.
As Toto says, at this late date, you don't have many options. You had the option to purchase insurance and should have double-checked to make sure you had it. If you thought you purchased it, your original booking summary from your TA would show it. If it turns out that you didn't purchase insurance, then there isn't much you can do.

This points out a couple of things: ALWAYS double-check your booking summary at the time you book to make sure it's correct and includes everything you wanted.

The other thing is to consider purchasing the insurance. You never know when life will pull little "surprises" even though you and your family are perfectly healthy at the time of booking.

I would listen to the doctor and do whatever he says. I personally would not want to be on a ship with a blood clot. Blood clots can be life threatening.

If the doctor advises cancelling, it is a life lesson. We had a situation once where we took out the wrong travel insurance (long story) and almost had to cancel and it would not have been covered. I came to the realization that money is not as important as life and while $2000 (or whatever) may seem a lot at the time, in the scope of things - the money was not as important as risking a medical issue.

I wish your husband/boyfriend a speedy recovery and hope the blood clot clears up real soon.

Although I know Toto is a travel agent, and knows more about this stuff than I ever will, I also know this cruise is sold out (and has been for a while) and I wonder if MAYBE, just maybe they might accomodate you with a reschedule since the cruise is wait listed?

Granted, not likely, but it certainly can't hurt to make the call. And if the Doctor has a change of heart and you DO make the cruise, please stop by Tradewinds on sailaway and say hello!! (We'll be wearing mardi gras beads!)

Best of luck to you and your husband. Health always comes first!

Although I know Toto is a travel agent, and knows more about this stuff than I ever will...

Unless Toto is holding out on us, I don't think she is a Travel Agent. Though she does know more than many agents....

Unless Toto is holding out on us, I don't think she is a Travel Agent.

Nope, sorry, no travel agent here. Honestly! I am not and never have been.

Any advice or wisdom I try to share has all been from experience. Been there done that or had friends that have been there and tried that sort of thing.

Nope, sorry, no travel agent here. Honestly! I am not and never have been.

Any advice or wisdom I try to share has all been from experience. Been there done that or had friends that have been there and tried that sort of thing.

Wow, then you're one smart cookie! :D

I am very sorry to hear of your situation. I am afraid that ToTo is right on the money with Princesses reaction. There rules are pretty clear when it comes to cancellations and you will just end up frustrated.

Is there any way you can prove that you requested the travel insurance from the TA? We provide a form for this and then list it on the confirmation. This ensures that a client never thinks they have coverage and doesn't. It might prove helpful if you have some proof that you requested the coverage.

As far as purchasing insurance now, there is no point. No insurance company will provide your pre-existing coverage this close to the sailing AND pay a claim for a conditon you knew about inside of the final payment.

I agree with Coral -- if the Dr recommends not going, don't risk it.

I hope you get to go and I hope your husband gets better!!!!

DH and I booked the Crown Repo back in July, I had (so I thought) add

travel insurance well it turns out that we don't. Before you ask he gets the

cc bill and pays them, so I didn't realize that we didn't have the insurance until

I called the TA to cancel. She told me they do not have record of it. I told

her the other TA called back, they don't work on commission so anyone can

help you, to get the DOB and exact flight schedule, she said too bad so sad.

Well DH has superficial blood clots in his leg. He has been seeing a

doctor and she suggest that he does not go. His clots have moved and they

are about 6 inches from his deep vein. She is concerned about the flight from

SJ to NYC. My question is do anyone out there have this problem and if so

what do you do? We could rebook the flight to go from SJ to Orlando stay

over night and take another one the next day or take a train or rent a car.

The latter two options would allow him the ability to move around more freely.

My gut says that the price of my trip is not worth his life. He is going to

talk to the doctor to see what she has to say. I'm at a loss.

Our regular insurance will pay God Forbid he needs to be medi-vac off the

ship, I asked about pre-existing conditions it's OK

Thanks

Vicki

Dear Vicki:

My heart goes out to you and your husband. Thromboses are nothing to play around with, he will need to follow his doctors explicit instructions.

While it seems sad, perhaps you could go and give the other ticket to someone close to you who merits it? I read somewhere that you can't transfer both tickets, but that you can transfer one (please anyone who knows, correct me if I'm wrong). It would at least keep it all from being wasted.

Best of luck to you both. I do hope things work out.

Sincerely,

~ tee

While it seems sad, perhaps you could go and give the other ticket to someone close to you who merits it? I read somewhere that you can't transfer both tickets, but that you can transfer one (please anyone who knows, correct me if I'm wrong). It would at least keep it all from being wasted.

~ tee

It would be nice if this could be done, but one of the original booked passengers must occupy the cabin. Although you can do a name change on the second ticket to replace one passenger that can't make the trip (there is a small fee for this). So giving away one ticket won't do any good, unfortunately, unless one of them actually goes on the cruise and changes their traveling partner.

I don't think you will be able to buy insurance that will end up covering you at all now. Most insurance polices will require proof he was able to travel on the day you bought the policy if there are pre-existing conditions.

Since he now knows he cannot travel at all by plane, that means he is not physically able to travel if you bought insurance today. So I would bet even if you bought a policy, you won't be covered. They will require medical records and those records will show he has the blood clots and cannot travel according to the dr.

It would be nice if this could be done, but one of the original booked passengers must occupy the cabin. Although you can do a name change on the second ticket to replace one passenger that can't make the trip (there is a small fee for this). So giving away one ticket won't do any good, unfortunately, unless one of them actually goes on the cruise and changes their traveling partner.

Hi there:

It was my suggestion that she go. As I pointed out, she cannot give both tix away.

~ tee

Although I know Toto is a travel agent, and knows more about this stuff than I ever will, I also know this cruise is sold out (and has been for a while) and I wonder if MAYBE, just maybe they might accomodate you with a reschedule since the cruise is wait listed?
This is why people take out cruise insurance. You have that option and practically everyone who doesn't take it and has to cancel has a sob story. Allowing passengers to reschedule or get a refund totally undermines those who do go ahead and pay for insurance. If you don't get insurance for your car and total it in an accident, unless you sue, you won't get a dime.

While I'm sympathetic with the OP (I really am), it comes down to their wanting something they not only didn't pay for but made a conscious decision not to get. Any reputable TA will offer insurance or educate you. Not checking your booking when you first made it doesn't obviate you from the responsibility.

Hi there:

It was my suggestion that she go. As I pointed out, she cannot give both tix away.

~ tee

I must have misread your post, my apology. I thought you meant she could give one ticket away as both could not be given away.

But, I honestly doubt anyone would leave their DH with a lifethreatening illness to take a cruise and leave them home alone. Maybe that's just me, but it wouldn't even be considered.

I must have misread your post, my apology. I thought you meant she could give one ticket away as both could not be given away.

But, I honestly doubt anyone would leave their DH with a lifethreatening illness to take a cruise and leave them home alone. Maybe that's just me, but it wouldn't even be considered.

Hi there:

Certainly so in life threatening situations. Thrombosis is not always life threatening, so only the docs, patient and wife can really tell. I know if it we me, I would encourage my hubby to go anyway rather than waste the tix. Of course, were he to encourage me, he might have a fight on his hands. :)

~ tee

Hi there:

Certainly so in life threatening situations. Thrombosis is not always life threatening, so only the docs, patient and wife can really tell. I know if it we me, I would encourage my hubby to go anyway rather than waste the tix. Of course, were he to encourage me, he might have a fight on his hands. :)

~ tee

Considering that the clots have moved and according to the OP, are near a major vain and the doctor has already recommended not going - there seems to be enough reason not to go.

Unfortunately, not all TAs are conscientious about educating their clients about insurance. I'm lucky to have a good one. He asks us for a waiver when we decline insurance so he'll have it in writing. (I decline the cruise line's and TA's insurance, but always get it on my own.)

Both my in-laws and parents have had to use their insurance. We're getting to the point in life where we no longer gamble.

Couple of questions:

You say the doctor suggests ..... Well there are true recommendations and their are CYA comments. Make sure you understand which she is giving. Ask her what she would do in your shoes.

Is it alot of money involved? If so, then look at the train and car options, DH's health may always require that kind of travel. Might as well start enjoying that now. Not alot, then relax and let go of the money, many of us lose an investment and have to deal with it. some people never get insurance and when they cancel they just eat the loss. It's not easy but it is part of life.

I think the most important thing is to calmly collect the facts and make a decision. Then live with the decision don't keep beating yourself up about it.

Hope all stay healthy and happy.

Archived