South America 2008 Pre/Post and Cruise Questions

GrannyLorr

From Santiago to Rio. Needless to say we are very excited about this part of SA.

I am too. Those are the segments I chose as well. However, I have opted for the land portion that gives me several days in BA. I love sea days, but I am not sure if I will ever have the chance to spend time in a SA city, and BA is supposed to be fabulous. I am researching the restaurants and shopping almost daily.

• 2 weeks later...

We think we were on with you last year from Ft. Lauderdale to Santiago Chile. We traveled with Sandy and Gary from Toronto, You might remember him the one in a wheel chair. We were to travel this year to Singapore to Shanghai. But we canceled to take this trip. Last Friday Sandy past away. We knew she was ill for some time. They canceled last month, and we did the same for being on that trip would have been hard for Judy and I. Looking forward to going around the horn and ending up in Reo.

You will all see the "photo album" thingy under my signature....well there isn't much in there as yet, just been "playing" to get it all set up for my South American cruise. If I get some spare time in the next few weeks I will put some of my pics there from my Spirit cruise....otherwise you will all have to hold your breath until January!! ;)

Granny,

I figured you'd been cruising already. It's a bit funny, as I just book my mother and friend from Sydney to Auckland for Christmas, and when I looked, it seems like such a long trip. You flying to Florida to begin a 1000 day cruise deserves a medal or first class seat. As for Visas, I'm lucky, the Brazilian consulate appens to be in my office building, so it was easy going three times to get the right papers with the right answers. $70 a person up here fo rthe right to spend money in one's country, sems odd to me.

westmount

1000 days on the pride, not such a bad thing you know. I just got a call from the Brazilian consulate requesting an extra $140 bucks for their Visa (already paid $70.00) due to my wife being an American. Seems the wrong way to attract visitors, but I guess they know what they are doing.

Westmount

Hi everyone,

I would like to make a suggestion for those who are traveling on the Pride’s first two SA segments and who would like to meet onboard – since the first evening can be quite hettic with life boat drills, finding your way around, first dinner, unpacking, etc. - why don’t we gather on the first morning at sea in the Constellation (Observation) Lounge on the top deck (8) -

- for those boarding in Ft. Lauderdale, meet on Sunday (1/6) at 10:00am

- or for those boarding in Valparaiso, meet on Thursday (1/24) at 10:00am

It now appears that there are 18 of us.

At the Ritz Carlton in Santiago for two days before boarding. We stayed there last year when we got off. I found the city to be great. We took a few A and K tours around the city and the Subs. The restaurants are great and very reasonable. We are not on a pre package but we hope to get on the bus to take to the ship. he idea the next morning to meet is a great idea. I bet the ship would make a small cocktail party for us as well.

>"I bet the ship would make a small cocktail party for us as well."

Great idea! Perhaps we can meet in the club, a bit more intimate and have mimosas and nibbles? Or, maybe my favorite breakfast drink, the ever-healthy, potassium-enriched BBC. (Often the forward lounge is occupied in the morning with readers, knitters, and puzzlers and sometime they don't take kindly to chatter.)

'Elevenses' a bit early, but I am sure David can organize it. Right??

I am flying AA from Philly, 2 days early and I forget where I am staying; something 'Towers' I think. I leave on the 20th, flying overnight. I have to send for my visa when I get back from London.

Can't believe that I am planning this cruise, with one adventure starting tomorrow.

Since we have the first two days at sea after a pretty long flight, i thought the only thing we're supposed to do is mingle, drink, mingle, eat, drink, eat, you get the picture. Also staying at the Ritz, no idea if booked with Seabourn or seperate. I booked this trip on the Spirit after a few gin and tonics while in Mikinos in the summer of 2006, and can't believe we're almost here already. My wife is from Philly, although she's been in Montreal longer now than she was there, but she still is an American and calls herself an Philadelphian, they never learn. I keep telling friends I'm going to be spending a month with the Penguins, but it looks like we only see them once, unless I'm wrong.The trip looks great, and let's face it, on the Pride, with 200 friends, life just isn't so tough.

Six weeks to go, I guess i have to go buy a wet suit, bow and tie, crazy trip we're on.

Westmount

10 A.M. on a sea day? I'm afraid I'll be "on duty" preparing for or assisting in the Bridge lesson. However, I'll be very easy to find. Why don't you meet, and later you can introduce yourselves to me.

I haven't begun packing yet. Still trying to figure out how to pack for 6 weeks, varying activities and two climate changes.:confused:

Archived