South America 2008 Pre/Post and Cruise Questions

GrannyLorr

I decided to start another thread to deal with ALL the questions concerning the South America cruise. I know Martha posted about restaurants in Fort Lauderdale, but the links have disappeared and I didn't have time to check them out....can you please post them again Martha?

Can we also have anyone doing this cruise, list their names (not your real ones if you don't wish too) and when and where they will embark and disembark. I would like to write the details in my little notebook so we can look out for each other in the Sky Bar or whatever.

ok....I will start.

Lorraine and John Baines.....Aussie accents.......aka GrannyLorr

embarking in Fort Lauderdale and disembarking (sort of) in Fort Lauderdale.

January 5th to March 17th.

Judith (Anne) Gidden Associate Bridge Director. Embarking at Ft. Lauderdale to Buenos Aires. My partner, Ivor, and I would love to host you at our table. Just ask.

Granny. Your name is familiar. We may have met on a previous Seabourn cruise. Is that possible?

I've done the Valparaiso to Buenos Aires before on another ship. Be prepared for cold winds and rocky waters going around the Horn. Sometimes it's warmish and calm, but often it's not.

My parents used to own a place in Delray--near Ft. Lauderdale, but it was a long time ago. If I can be of any help, just write.

Judith

JaneBP (Pond) embarking in Valpariso, 1/23

disembarking in Rio, 2/17.

I have decided to take the overland trip from Ushuaia to Buenos Aires in the middle of the cruise. It's not that I want to avoid 'The Horn' but I want some time in the city.

Thanks everyone....well that makes 7 of us so far....and I know another 6, 4 embarking in Fort Lauderdale and 2, I think in Valparaiso.

Auntie Anne, we have only ever done ONE cruise and that was 2006 Cairns to Rome on The Spirit. I am sure The Horn will be quite ~interesting~! :confused:

Has anyone decided on any shore excursions yet...apart from the BIG ones?

Granny

Thanks so much for starting this thread. It will be fun to meet and visit in person. I guess we've never met before but we'll rectify that in January.

I hope you're all well, and ready to rock and roll around The Horn. Several people on my March 2007 Spirit cruise were wait listed for this one. (Would you believe--it was already sold out last March.) Perhaps they may be aboard.

If you need some last-minute summer clothing, Florida is the place to buy it. I'm considering just packing winter and dress-up clothing, checking an empty suitcase, and doing a massive shopping in Florida. Just a thought.

AuntieAnne;)

Auntie Anne, we are getting to Fort Lauderdale by Amtrak from LA via Chicago, so will wave to you as we go through!

I am back to feeling about 90% now and its only just over 3 months since my surgery so in another 2 months should be easily 100%!. Next week I am starting to pack..........I don't think I will have time for too much shopping when we arrive, so will take most stuff with me, but plan on posting un needed clothes (and souvenirs.....alpaca wool etc.) home again from Fort Lauderdale before we set off on the Crossing.

I think for the first time in my life I am hoping Christmas would hurry up and come and GO....we leave home on Boxing Day.

Our first cruise with Seabourn was on the Pride from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. If you have questions about the ports on this route I can try to answer.

The odds say you will encounter fairly rough seas as you go around Cape Horn but you never know. When we were there on the Pride the seas were rough and when I was there on another ship earlier this year the seas were a good deal calmer.

In Punta Arenas I highly recommend seeing the Penguins. We took the excursion offered by Seabourn and it was very enjoyable. You certainly get a very close up view of the penguins and it was a very memorable day.

For those cruising around South America for the very first time you will have beautiful views of land and fjords that I think are breathtaking. I also remember that we were able to cruise up a channel and we were the only cruise ship who could do that because of our relatively small size. The scenery on this cruise is truly spectacular.

Keith

I would love to see the penguins, but the two mile hike to the rookery isn't for me. Or I'm not for it, or something like that.

I agree Jane...that is one I really wanted to do but don't think I could make the 2 miles each way either. Well actually I could make it, but only in my own time......not having to keep up with other people. Last cruise I didn't think I stood a chance of reaching the top of the Acropolis, but once we "lost" the tour guide (when we found we had 2 hours there) I was able to take my time and got there without too much trouble.

I agree Jane...that is one I really wanted to do but don't think I could make the 2 miles each way either. Well actually I could make it, but only in my own time......not having to keep up with other people. Last cruise I didn't think I stood a chance of reaching the top of the Acropolis, but once we "lost" the tour guide (when we found we had 2 hours there) I was able to take my time and got there without too much trouble.

If I remember correctly it is one mile round trip but maybe it's 2 miles but round trip not one way. You can also just walk part of the way and then turn around. You just walk on a path. Anyway, no big deal but for those who want to see Penguins the ones there are wonderful. Probably the best we've seen.

Keith

Keith....I am going to study my first two books of shore excursions this weekend, so I might have some questions for you next week!

I think I may just buy some seasickness stuff, as I'm sure the seas will be a wee bit bigger than I have ever experienced.......but at least I will be acclimatised by the Crossing! :eek:

GrannyLorr, I'll be happy to help where I can.

Most of the time the seas were pretty good but as you know that can vary. Cape Horn was a bit rough but that place can change without notice. In fact, if the weather is good passengers can go out there on a zodiac. On our cruise they asked who wanted to go and so many wanted to go they had a lottery. That morning everything looked like a go with perfect weather but about an hour before it was time the weather changed and the trip to the Horn was canceled. But, we made it through the night and when things calmed down we continued to have a wonderful time on the cruise. It was an outstanding cruise with wonderful memories that I know will last a lifetime.

Keith

Granny,

My wife and I will be embarking January 5th and disembarking on February 10 in Buenos Aires. We will visit Iguazu Falls on Feb 11th and 12th on our own.

During the first segment, we will be in suite 120 and in suite 124 during the second segment.

We look forward to meeting all of you over a drink or sharing a meal together.

Looking forward to the memories,

Bonnie and David

davehill@speakeasy.net

Granny: We are waitlisted for this same cruise in 2009! Imagine! We've been around the Horn twice and neither time was it a bit rough. Was I ever disappointed! The worst sea I was ever in was last Fall off the coast of Maine on board the Pride!! So you never know.

Iguazo Falls is a lot of walking and I got blisters because of the heat and sandals. I never should have worn such stupid shoes that should have stayed onthe ship. Wear good old tennis shoes or something equivalent if you do that tour.

Can't wait to talk to you on the crossing March 17th. Jean Noll - Amelia Island, FL

welcome to the Seabourn boards David and Bonnie, looking forward to meeting you in January. so now we are up to 9 CC's.

jgn...that certainly is hard to imagine, being waitlisted over 12 months out!!:confused: makes it look like it will really be a fantastic cruise!

we will be in suite 106.......

Everyone on the Pride this January 5th through February 10th.

I would like to discuss setting up possible get togethers on board the Pride and to discuss your options about the Shore Excursions - both cruise sponsored and private tours.

I beleive that we should do this "off line/threads". Contact me through my e-mail address and I will coordinate the discussions with everyone.

Looking forward to a wonderful experience.

David Hilligoss

davehill@speakeasy.net

Why do you want to do this "off line" David? We can discuss it all in here, thats why I started this thread.

We still haven't decided on any excursions as yet, wont be anything too adventurous though. I would love to see Macchu Picchu but wont because of the altitude.

Keith may be able to answer this for me.......as I know very little about South America, are there any ports where we could just get off and wander around a small town etc? Last cruise we visited the Greek Islands and places in Italy where of course "just wandering" was better than going off on an excursion. However I have no idea if this is feasible at any of our SA stops.

GrannyLorr, yes there are some places where you can easily walk around.

Lima Peru. I know this is not South America but I see it's on your itinerary. I would go on an excursion for safety reasons rather than trying to do this on your own.

Valparaiso, Chile. If Sebourn provides a shuttle you could go into town although it can be a little confusing. An excursion that involves going to a winery could be a lot of fun. I would not take an excursion all the way to Santiago.

Puerto Montt. On our last visit there we just walked around the local town in lieu of taking an excursion. This is a small town that is easy to get around.

Punta Arenas. I know we've discussed this one. The penguins are still very nice to see. You can also walk around the town. Safe and small town.

Buenos Aires. Lots to see. Very european. When we did this on Seabourn we did to excursions. One was an overview of the city which was quite good. And the other one was the evening tango show. Excellent as well. You might want to also go to Florida Avenue where all the shopping is. But go with one or two people and watch for pickpocketers, etc.

Rio. I assume you will be there for Carnaval. We were earlier this year. We didn't go to the Carnval but those who did thought it was outstanding. Only do this through Seabourn not on your own. Personally, I would only do tours there. I would not walk around on your own. Too much crime in my opinion.

You are seeing lots more of Brazil then we did so I am not familiar with the other ports in Brazil.

Be sure to take in the wonderful scenery from the Pride. So much beauty in this area of the world.

Keith

GrannyLorr,

we are booked on the Valparaiso-BA in 2009. I'm really looking forward to your account and opinion of the ports and shore excursions. Will you be posting as you sail along? Glad to hear you are recovering nicely. All the best!

jgn - hope you make it on board!

Why do you want to do this "off line" David? We can discuss it all in here, thats why I started this thread.

We still haven't decided on any excursions as yet, wont be anything too adventurous though. I would love to see Macchu Picchu but wont because of the altitude.

Keith may be able to answer this for me.......as I know very little about South America, are there any ports where we could just get off and wander around a small town etc? Last cruise we visited the Greek Islands and places in Italy where of course "just wandering" was better than going off on an excursion. However I have no idea if this is feasible at any of our SA stops.

I may be wrong, but on Cruise Critic, I thought that we are not allowed to discuss and put together groups for private tours (tour share) – except in a “Roll Call” thread.

• "Tour Share type posts are not allowed. Tour shares may be posted in ROLL CALL for your ship's sailing."

Maybe this thread is considered a Roll Call and therefore there will be no problem in discussing the pros and cons of specific private tours and who would like to participate (for several of us to share in the selection and costs). I will follow your direction.

Lent is early in '08. Ash Wednesday is on February 6, so no 'Carnivale' for the Pride, except at sea. I am getting off before then, so will hopefully get to see some festivities in BA. I lived in Germany and 'Fasching' was wonderful there.

BTW, Lima Peru is definitely considered part of South America.

David, I am certain we can get up to some fun while onboard, that's for sure.

Michigan David........I started this thread to discuss ALL areas of the South American cruise....before, during and after....sooooooo we can also call it a "Roll Call"...there you go.......discuss away!! :D:D:D

We have never done a "private tour" as I would hate to "miss the boat" if something went wrong.....on a Seabourn tour the Captain has to wait for us! I know most people enjoy their private tours and as I become more familiar with "cruising" I probably will too. (this will only be my second cruise!!)

Have you thought of any exciting tours etc, that you plan on doing? I still haven't had time to read through my first two shore excursion books. Think I got scared off by all the horse riding, kayaking and swinging through the trees! :eek:

Keith, thanks for your input. We really enjoy just walking around some of the small towns, so will keep what you have said in mind. I have heard that Rio can be a bit scary.........but this old Granny got mugged in Rome........guess who won?? No mugger is going to take MY camera!! :rolleyes:

Archived