South America 2008 Pre/Post and Cruise Questions

GrannyLorr

I was in Santiago two years ago on business. Stayed in the best area at the Holiday Inn Select for $79.00, breakfast, internet, gym included. Unfortunatly, wife trip, only Ritz allowed. I just want to know if they still boo the takeoffs and landings at the airport (Philly) there, very tough fans if I remember. I'll look for the hat on the 22, and then we can plan at least one Cruise Critic dinner amungst the 24 I'm supposed to be nice and social for. My wife is a big bridge player, up and coming superstar I call her, how many bridge players do you think are on the cruise?

Westmount

Our names are Judy and Steve. We are from Philly and Margate NJ. It took my wife many years to convince me to cruise on seabourn. We did the larger ships for many years. We are now coming up to the BIG 140 in just 4 years. Wow what a blast we have had meeting some of the nicest people on board. I hope they don't sell these little ladies. If so I wish they would convert them to seabourn condo's. I would be in line. (Maybe) It's just a thought. See you all aboard in a little over a month.

Hard to tell. We don''t work directly for Seabourn but through our agent.

Generally, games and lessons are held on sea days. On Seabourn's small ships we usually get 4-5 tables of duplicate. However, sometimes we have had more. We partner those who are alone, and I am available if an extra is needed. Social bridge players vary. Going up the Amazon in 2005 we had 5 tables of social players and 6 duplicate tables every sea day. Last Spring, from Asia to Dubai there were 4-5 duplicate tables and no social players.

We are only booked from Ft. Lauderdale to Buenos Aires, but someone else will take over when we leave. Looking forward to meeting (is it Lisa?) and all the rest.

Judith;)

When I was a bit younger, I used to tell my wife (Lisa) about a golf match hole by hole, with her eyes rolling in every direction. Now she tells me about a 2 club-3 heart, yada yada and I'm all excited with envy. Please someone take her on as a bridge partner, I think we have 99 sea days from Santiago to Rio, and I'll treat you to a great diner with some penguins. See you on board.

Westmount

10 am Club 24th?

Although that early you won't see my friends and our fellow passengers Marta & Al, who are joining Donna and me at the Santiago Ritz Carlton after they side-trip to Easter Island. Alas, Marta doesn't do mornings, except for excursions, but there are many days at sea.

Donna and I will stop by to say hello and enjoy mimosos (any excuse...) She doesn't have internet so hasn't read your mails. Every couple of years I entice her off her mountain top and away from her husband, to travel bits of the world. She lives in the middle of the Mendocino National Forest, pretty much self-sustaining solitary lifestyle. They get to civilization 2x a month, when they're not snowed in; she's on the local library board and senior law board and well read. But she's always up for new adventures and brief visits to the good life, or in Seaborne's case, the really good life. This will be her first time on Seaborne, she'll be the one always with a smile on her face.

Christine :cool:

Our Brazilian Visas arrived yesterday so we are all ready to go now! :D Even our tickets for the TA on the 17th of March have arrived........time to finish packing!

We don't care where or what time the "get together" is, we will fit in with whatever everyone decides.

Our Brazilian Visas arrived yesterday so we are all ready to go now! :D Even our tickets for the TA on the 17th of March have arrived........time to finish packing!

We don't care where or what time the "get together" is, we will fit in with whatever everyone decides.

Glad to hear that your Brazilian Visas arrived. That one took us more time than I thought it should last year. We're always anxious to get the visa back and of course our passports. :)

Before you know it, the start of your trip begins.

Keith

We leave Philly. to Atlanta then non stop to Santiago Chile. Also on the 20th. We get there the next morning. There is a bus from our hotel to the ship. Just have to figure out how to make the reservation on the bus.

Hi Margate,

we are planning the same trip in 2009. Did you find out about the bus to the ship? we are also traveing independenly and hope to go to Easter island beforehand. Anyone doing this independently? Would love to hear details as to hotels, etc.

Thanks,

Marazul

• 2 weeks later...
I've enjoyed reading these posts as I am considering this cruise for 2009. It's been slow on this thread lately. Am looking for more information on penguin tours.

What would you like to know about the tours.

We did the one through Seabourn from Punta Arenas. It was wonderful. We drove to Ottway Bay where we saw hundred of Penguins in a very natural setting. It was something that we will remember for the rest of our lives. A very special day.

The entire cruise is very special as well. We have now sailed South America multiple times and it is beautiful.

Keith

I cant believe its only 7 days until we leave home! Its been a busy month, Christmas parties and a trip North to see the grandchildren, still 2 more parties to go then we are out of here! I dont have to worry about Christmas Day this year, son and daughter in law are taking care of that. I am almost finished packing....keep weighing the bags with fingers crossed! Its also 4.28am here so dont think Im sleeping too well!! :eek:

I don't remember, Does seabourn tell us in advance what the dress codes are in the evening? We will on for 25 days and was just wondering how many formal nights there will be.

The number of formal nights is usually shown in the Voyage Information book you have or will receive. We always figure on 2 formal nights a week--two casual(first and last, and maybe deck Bar B Q night) two or 3 nights coat and tie for men. Probably 3 about times that for your 25 days. Don

First cruise..........Fort Lauderdale to Valparaiso.........4 Formal

Second cruise.......Valparaiso to Buenos Aires.............4 Formal

Third cruise.........Buenos Aires to Manaus................4 Formal

Fourth cruise........Manaus to Fort Lauderdale.............4 Formal

My clothes will be worn out before I get to "The Crossing" :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas to all!

And a little question for JaneBP - did you book your private driver and tour for Santiago to Valparaiso? Which company did you use?

Also (just in case) does SB make bus transportation to Valparaiso available to passengers who do not book the pre-cruise stay thru them?

To all South America Pride sailors - have a wonderful trip!

Archived