Best Small-Ship Cruise LIne

sallyjo

My wife and I have booked our first Regent cruise this December on the Voyageur having sailed almost exclusively with Princess and once with Celebrity. We made our decision to try this line based on research of materials provided by Seabourn, Crystal and Regent as well as reviewing independent reviews by CC members as well as info from other cruise boards. The ranking in a publication such as Conde Naste didn't factor in any of our decision-making and unless one was quite familiar with the parameters of any such survey I can't see how it would have much value frankly. Not to demean the Conde Naste reputation, but there are so many things which go into a decision to select a cruiseline and ship that I don't see what the fuss is all about. My vacation won't be any better on the basis of survey results unless there is some data provided - which is exactly the type of information which these Boards provide.

The first-place ranking is fine - provides a good marketing banner but at the end of the day, if the product isn't perceived by the paying customer as worthy of a good ranking, they aren't going to be repeat customers. All we knew was that Regent was a very good line providing a great vacation experience. That was sufficient to get us to try it out. Based upon everything we've seen thus far, we're quite excited about the upcoming trip.

Just my two cents....

Rob

Wendy, We booked a 2 for 1 Caribbean trip, 7 day from Ft. Lauderdale on December 1, 2008. It also ends up being a "spotlight on Chocolate" cruise!!!! I am really looking forward to it. WE are also going on the Caribbean Princess this November 25th.

My husband and I are booked on the Navigator in December. This is only our second cruise. The first was a multigenerational cruise in the Med with 14 other family members in July. This is the first cruise that we have planned for ourselves and we chose Regent based on research, and reading these boards. We are new to cruising, but have traveled extensively overseas both before we had children, and also with our kids.

We booked our cruise before the Conde Nast article, but I have to say that as a newbie, if I were planning my first cruise, the Conde Nast article would probably cause me to look more closely at Regent.

We are just on the 3-day Navigator cruise (first time we will have traveled without our children in 11 years!), but we are waitlisted for the "Spotlight on Chocolate" cruise in December 2008. We are looking forward to a great cruise and maybe a regular "grown-up" trip every year.

Hi all, Sorry I mistyped! We are waitlisted for the cruise this year, but at this late date (after final payment) I doubt anything will come of it. I imagine we will love the short cruise, and we'll probably book next year's "Chocolate" cruise while on board the Navigator in December.

Comettgirl -

We're on the "Spotlight on Chocolate" Voyageur sailing this December 7th - will let you know how it turns out. From what I've read about Regent thus far, a heavy dose of chocolate is just what we didn't need in addition to the food everyone is raving about but we'll do our best!

Rob

Wednesday night.

BTW, I think the second place "winner" in the small cruise line category was Grand Circle Travel for its barge cruises. We all know about the problems with GCT...so one must ponder: Is there any validity to a poll that obviously allows ballot stuffing?

OK GCT may not be the best tour operator, but the Barge Cruise companies are not part of GCT, they are usually independant small companies, and a few that own multiple barges. Having said that, every Barge Cruise I have been on has bee fantastic, small & cramped because of the size limits of the barge, but fantastic none the less. I would recomend to anybody that wants to barge cruise to look to book your own or use Abercrombie & Kent, they seem to be wired into the Barge cruise world.

Archived