Best Small-Ship Cruise LIne

sallyjo

The award is not really from Conde Nast, but is a reader/poster poll. When you look at the other lines at the top it makes you wonder if the "poll" has any validity.

That is not a slam of Regent but of something that Conde Nast should try to make more legitimate.

I have always wondered about the Condé Nast polls -- I read Traveller (UK version) and I honestly don't remember being asked to vote on anything, even though I travel a great deal.

That said, RSSC fully deserves the award -- and in my opinion if RSSC got an award for the top cruise line overall - big/medium/small ships - it would more than deserve that too!!

Well done Regent!!:)

Wednesday night.

BTW, I think the second place "winner" in the small cruise line category was Grand Circle Travel for its barge cruises. We all know about the problems with GCT...so one must ponder: Is there any validity to a poll that obviously allows ballot stuffing?

Yes, they are...and they used to mean something. Now they and their past passengers can spend some time stuffing the ballots electronically (which used to not be possible) rendering the vote meaningless. (I make no specific allegations about Regent, just generally.)

Porthole Magazine used to have a strong following, but when Carnival started winning best cuisine and service, its importance faded away. I am confident the same will hold true for Conde Nast if it doesn't work to have its awards actually represent a valid polling.

Frankly, I find it as disappointing to taut "winning" when the "win" is clearly suspect or worse. JMO.

Eric or anyone else. I have been invited to take internet CNT readers surveys in the past. There was no way I could "stuff" the ballot box, as it only allowed the survey once. Is there another way that readers were able to vote, and thus manipulate the results??

Host Dan

Yes, Dan. You can, for example, sign up using multiple emails. I have about 7 or 8 myself...legitimately.

Wendy, if you recall I just wrote a rather glowing review of my cruise on the PG.

I also didn't scoff at the comment about Seabourn (and Regent) being dropped below 5 stars in the 2008 Berlitz ratings. I even gave my rationale for why that might be - prior to reading the book, which I will have next week.

I don't cheerlead. I call it as I see it. PERIOD.

Or would someone like to come forward and claim GCT is the #2 small ship cruise line??????????????

Let's keep it real.

What I don't understand is how Regent can win in the small ship category when its two most important ships carry 700 passengers. I thought the small ship category consisted of 500 or less for which the Navigator barely qualifies. Only the Paul Gaugin fits the category and would that really beat out Seabourn and Silversea?

I'm Confused..... What am I missing?

http://www.cntraveller.com/ReadersAwards/2007/Cruise_Lines/

This shows Regent Coming in 6th, doesn't it? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

The above link does show Regent as 6th in the small ship category which adds more confusion. Regent won first place over Crystal by 1/10 of a point not so long ago in the "large" ship category.

IMO, the only "small" ship is the PG (which Regent only manages -- most senior officers are GCT). Personally, it would seem that the Voyager and Mariner should be in a mid-size ship category.

I agree with Eric that having a GCT ship appear near the top of any list is questionable. I also agree with Wendy that Eric is not a big fan of Regent (with the possible exception of the PG). It seems that results from other cruise magazines would also be skewed towards their readers (for instance, Frommer's Budget Travel may not have any luxury ships on their lists). Just wanted to put in my two cents.

The 2008 awards probably won't be posted until late this month as the magazine comes out around the 24th.

Here are the top "awards":

Large Ship

1. Regent Seven Seas

2. Crystal Cruises

3. Disney

Small Ship

1. SeaDream Yacht Club

2. Grand Circle Cruise Line

3. Regent Seven Seas

If you compare the lists you will see Carnival was one of the top large ship lines last year! Does that make any sense?

Also, you will see that SeaDream didn't even make the list of the top ten last year. Does that make any sense?

Anyone care to venture how they climbed so far up the list or disappeared????

Notice also who is absent from the top three lists this year.

It is not rocket science. To me it is a shame, because a fun, and valuable bragging right sort of thing is now utterly worthless.

It is not that I am not a big fan of Regent - heck I have been on 5 Regent cruises...paying them too many tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege.

It is that it is frustrating when you pay so much and are inundated with so much marketing hype that the performance is not what is expected.

When Regent was a relative bargain, it was a better line. Now it is more expensive than Seabourn and it just doesn't consistently deliver at the same level of quality.

Regent delivered on the Diamond and on the Paul Gauguin...and I posted so. The Mariner had problems and the Navigator was a disaster for me. That is just the way it is.

My praise needs to be earned; not hyped.

It is not that I am not a big fan of Regent - heck I have been on 5 Regent cruises...paying them too many tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege.

It is that it is frustrating when you pay so much and are inundated with so much marketing hype that the performance is not what is expected.

When Regent was a relative bargain, it was a better line. Now it is more expensive than Seabourn and it just doesn't consistently deliver at the same level of quality.

Regent delivered on the Diamond and on the Paul Gauguin...and I posted so. The Mariner had problems and the Navigator was a disaster for me. That is just the way it is.

My praise needs to be earned; not hyped.

Could there be too many polls on Conde Nast? I remember Regent being #1 the Large Ship category but remember seeing Sea Dream Yacht Club as #1 in some category (at that time I wasn't aware of Sea Dream -- I have since done research and was "almost" tempted to try it).

I do think that some of the luxury cruise ships are being over-hyped and are not as good as they claim to be. It would be difficult to meet the expectations they put into people'e minds. I'm curious what your poor experience was with the Navigator. I thought the little ship was great (with the exception of some of the layout of public spaces, the fact that they need another restaurant and the food, due to the absence of the head chef, was below par). I'd do another of the "bargain" Carribean cruises in a minute.

Last, please share the problems on the Mariner. We're taking her to Alaska next year (only because our Mediterranean cruise was cancelled). Thanks!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but if you search back you will find my detailed report on the Navigator in late August/early September 2006. The Mariner - the ship was fantastic, the service being the problem - was in 2005, same time. Otherwise contact me directly.

Eric, I have to agree with this. I love Regent, and have since 2000. But except for the bargain 2-for-1's and free air, etc., the prices are not great. We have dropped a fair bundle on the 6 cruises we've done. After our Marquesas trip next year we're probably going to try Oceania, or just stick to the "cheap" 2-fers in the Caribbean.

These little Caribbean jaunts aren't actually cheap at all, even at 50%, compared to mass market lines, but they let us enjoy one of the lovely Regent ships without spending our entire retirement savings!

Wendy, I will be anxious to see what you think of the Voyager when you go in December. I am new to Regent, (first cruise booked for Dec. 2008). After 35 cruises on other lines, most on Princess, I am trying not to get caught up in the hype.... I have been on too many cruises to expect too much..... I do expect something "better" then Princess, I expect something like an all inclusive Four Seasons...... and I look at Princess as a very nice Shearaton.........

I was on Voyager last summer for 10 days, and loved it. As much as I enjoyed Navigator last winter (smaller, more intimate, great staterooms), the Voyager wins for its dining options. I have just over 2 months to go, and already I can't wait! What have you got booked next year?

We are looking forward to experiencing Regent for the first time. Next month we'll be on an 11 night E. Caribbean on the Voyager. We have been on Holland, Princess, and Royal Caribbean. Had a fine time on all of them, but are really looking forward to trying the next level up. Will try to keep our expectations in check! I will post our impressions when we get back.

The 2008 awards probably won't be posted until late this month as the magazine comes out around the 24th.

Here are the top "awards":

Large Ship

1. Regent Seven Seas

2. Crystal Cruises

3. Disney

Small Ship

1. SeaDream Yacht Club

2. Grand Circle Cruise Line

3. Regent Seven Seas

If you compare the lists you will see Carnival was one of the top large ship lines last year! Does that make any sense?

Also, you will see that SeaDream didn't even make the list of the top ten last year. Does that make any sense?

Anyone care to venture how they climbed so far up the list or disappeared????

Notice also who is absent from the top three lists this year.

It is not rocket science. To me it is a shame, because a fun, and valuable bragging right sort of thing is now utterly worthless.

SeaDream made the best small ship for 2007. I don't doubt they are they best true small ship cruise line. Grand Circle? Now that makes me wonder.

I believe what is left of Regent would be considered a mid size ship.

Archived