Sydney Airport-Hotel Transportation

bbqbears

We will be staying at the Marriott Sydney Harbor, and wonder what is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel. My husband is handicapped, and has limited mobility. Should we just take a taxi, or is there a good "airporter " alternative.

TKA,

Kathy Johnson

We will be staying at the Marriott Sydney Harbor, and wonder what is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel. My husband is handicapped, and has limited mobility. Should we just take a taxi, or is there a good "airporter" alternative.

TKA,

Kathy Johnson

Hi Kathy

Especially for someone with limited mobility a taxi is your best alternative.

Peter

When you get out of the airport you should see the start of the taxi rank queue. normally theres a person there that directs you to a cab. Tell him/her your handicap issue and they will get you into a cab that suits.

A cab into the city for me is just over $30AUD including airport toll. Nearly all cabs have electronic CC facilities.

:)

Taxi is probbaly best, but if you don't want to do that and can manage the train, it is very convenient. It runs from the airport to Circular Quay which I think was 5 or 6 stops away. There are some seats on the entry level at the ends of each car, but then most of the seats are either up or down a few steps (they are doubledeck trains). They leave from down under the arrival area and there are elevators both at the airport and at Circular Quay. The walk from the station to the hotel is about two blocks on a level surface. It is really convenient at the city end, as are the ferries, which are right beside the station. If you buy green transportation passes, I think the train fare is $10-11 dollars each way (the pass covers part of it). Without the pass I believe the train fare is $14-$15 which makes it close to the price of the taxi. The Marriott is a super location. I understand they have a hospitality room for early morning arrivals, but we were lucky and when we arrived about 8 am, our room was already available. I think we were lucky that we got there on a Monday and I guess they aren't very busy on Sunday nights. Incidentally, the ferries will all accommodate wheel chairs.

Given there's no reasonable shuttle service, I think we'll go with a taxi. The train is always tempting, but my husband's mobility problems preclude us from taking advantage of that option.

Thanks again for all who took the time to post. The information we've gained on these boards over the years has been invaluable.

Kathy

• 3 months later...

CoastalJen (or anyone else with a suggetion),

Did the shuttle service you booked work out well for you. Interested in how easy it was to find the shuttle when you arrived (any charge if your flight was late) and number of stops made besides your stop. Thanks.

I was hoping to pre-book a taxi but have had trouble finding one that would do that without high waiting costs. Some folks have reported recently that there were long waits to get a taxi - we arrive at about 7:30 PM then getting luggage and customs...so don't know how long it will take before we exit the airport. I know we'll be tired from the flight and the time difference. Any ideas are welcome...Thanks

We always use a private driver in Melbourne & Sydney. I have the name if anyone is interested. They meet you at the airport, look after your luggage, the cars are new, clean and the driver speaks English and doesn't drive like a maniac. For a few extra $ it is definately worth it.

Sheila, you don't need to pre-book a taxi from the airport. There are always heaps of them. I also don't think you need to get a private driver - the taxi drivers will also take care of your luggage. You jsut tell them where you are staying and they'll get you there. Also there are are airport security people overseeing the taxi service. It shouldn't cost you more than $30.

I was hoping to pre-book a taxi but have had trouble finding one that would do that without high waiting costs. Some folks have reported recently that there were long waits to get a taxi - we arrive at about 7:30 PM then getting luggage and customs...so don't know how long it will take before we exit the airport. I know we'll be tired from the flight and the time difference. Any ideas are welcome...Thanks

it would not be advisable at all to even think about pre booking a cab...only cabs going to the rank to drop off or queue up ,can enter the airport cab rank....they wouldn't know what you looked like...where you would be standing etc..and ditto for you to find him!!(my hubby was a Sydney cabbie...CUMBERLAND CABS)

there will be about 50 cabs lined up, being directed by an "overseer"

..if your hotel has a shuttle, it will be on the hotel pickup telephone board after you get out of customs..ask where it is when you come out...AND ONE OF YOU CAN RUN TO LOOK ...BEFORE you try for a cab

I was reacting to someone who posted that they waited for 45 min for a taxi a few weeks ago and know we'll be too tired for that.
I'd be surprised if that was anything other than a rare hitch. I've never had to wait for a taxi, even though many of the times that I arrive are peak arrival periods - including first thing in the morning at the international terminal. The only waiting time has been winding through the queue, simply because it takes time to load taxis with luggage and get them on their way - not from a shortage of cabs.

Thanks, globaliser, I think the queue that you're referring to is the same as the 45 min wait that was reported by those boarding 2 weeks ago. I hadn't meant that there were not enough taxis (sorry if I was unclear) but rather that there was a wait. Not a problem...we're used to dealing with that - just wanted to avoid if possible. I'm so ready to be in Sydney that I don't want anything to delay it :) :)

Kellie,

I would appreciate the name and contact info for your driver in Sydney. We arrive at 6:20 am after nearly 24 hours of travelling. I will be too tired to think about anything except how to get to the hotel quickly with enough luggage for a 31-day cruise for two people!

Thanks,

You should be fine arriving at 7.30pm Sheila. The busiest time is first thing in the morning because Sydney has an overnight curfew. There are usually a heap of flights that arrive between 6am and 7am.

The only time I've ever had to wait a long time is at the domestic terminal.

One more question to inject, if I may. I had previously read that there is a delay when disembarking in Sydney in waiting for a taxi. We are staying at the Marriott in Circular Quay. If there should be a major delay in getting a taxi, what would be an alternate method of getting to the Marriott? Thanks,

Take the train direct to Circular Quay station, and then walk to the Marriott. It's about 200 yards to walk to the front door.

The timetable pages for this direction start here. The downside is the nakedly punitive fares for travelling to the airport by rail ($14.20 one way). It's much cheaper to travel to stations either side of the airport. But of course, you can't do it if you're actually going to the airport because your ticket won't work at the airport stations.

The other disadvantage with the train is lugging your luggage up and down escalators and then through Circular Quay to your hotel. I think the major delay that Wendy had was an aberration. The day she arrived it was also pouring with rain, so the taxis were probably busier than usual.

Archived