Another Tag Heuer Thread - advice

vermonter16

DH has wanted one of these watches for years. I bought him a nice Citizen Eco Drive a couple of years ago but alas...he still mentions Tag. I know the one he wants and saw it in the jewelers the other day for 11 o 1295 I think. We will be going on the Serenade in January and I'm not sure if I should try and find a 'deal' on a Tag here before Christmas or possibly find one on the ship. Any advice?

DH has wanted one of these watches for years. I bought him a nice Citizen Eco Drive a couple of years ago but alas...he still mentions Tag. I know the one he wants and saw it in the jewelers the other day for 11 o 1295 I think. We will be going on the Serenade in January and I'm not sure if I should try and find a 'deal' on a Tag here before Christmas or possibly find one on the ship. Any advice?

If you have a Sam's nearby, check their jewelery counter periodically. I got a Tag women's watch there several years ago for $600 and I wear it everyday....never a problem! I see Tags there from time to time now....

Good idea!

I noticed my thread got moved...I was also looking for possibly someone cruising on the same ship I will be who might have taken a look at the watches....

Ebay might be some place to check too...I'll have to check it out!

Just a suggestion ... be sure you buy from an authorized Tag dealer. My husband had a Tag and there were three different instance when it needed repairs that would have cost hundreds of dollars each if he didn't have the official warranty. Some of the more expensive watches are unbelievably expensive to repair. So I guess I'm saying that you should probably stay away from eBay. In addition to Sam's Club, try Costco or Overstock.com if you don't find what you want on your cruise.

BTW - they have had Tag watches on the RCI and Celebrity ships I have sailed on.

Just a suggestion ... be sure you buy from an authorized Tag dealer. My husband had a Tag and there were three different instance when it needed repairs that would have cost hundreds of dollars each if he didn't have the official warranty. Some of the more expensive watches are unbelievably expensive to repair. So I guess I'm saying that you should probably stay away from eBay. In addition to Sam's Club, try Costco or Overstock.com if you don't find what you want on your cruise.

BTW - they have had Tag watches on the RCI and Celebrity ships I have sailed on.

I have to second that. If you don't care and just want a Tag, you can buy one from just about anywhere, but to make sure that the warranty stays intact, get it from an authorized dealer.

As much as I've whacked my Tag around (its my everyday watch, so I've worn it through all kinds of situations) I can't break the darn thing. Its never needed service for anything and its 8 years old.

-Q

There are Tag Heuer Outlet stores as well. Prices were 30 - 50% off of retail when I visited one at the Premium Outlets in Orlando. Search on the Tag site, it's possible you could do a charge send or something if you know what make/model you want.

We were just on Mariner a few weeks ago, while in Jamaica we priced a Aquaracer for $960 (after a bit of talking), the same watch on ship was $975. The ship will price match - if you have the price in writing. The store in Jamaica also had a Link for I believe $1600 (????). I havent priced the watch locally so I hope this info has helped you out.

Andy

I too, am a Tag owner. DH bought me one 11 years ago for an anniversary gift. It is the silver and gold style and I love the weight and feel of it, and I too, wear it every day. The only problem I ran into was when the battery ran down, I was supposed to take it to my local dealership and they would have to send it off to the Tag Factory for cleaning and replacement, as there is no one locally in our town of 100,000, who works on Tag watches. The first time the battery ran down, after two years, it was sent off to be replaced. 6 wks later my local Tag store called to say it was in and I could pick it up. The cost to replace the battery and clean it.......$150. You've got to be kidding me, I said. I could buy a new Seiko for that or two or three Timex for that. I called Tag direct and found out the average cost to clean and put in a new battery is about $50-75......and the rest was the price for "handling" by our local "foo foo" jewelry store. I told our local dealership that they were gouging folks with that type "handling" fee and I was not paying that. I ended up paying $100 and was still furious. Finally, I went to a really old family jewelry firm in our town and explained my dilema. They told me they would replace the battery for $15, but of course, they were not authorized Tag dealers, so it might void the warranty. I told them to do it.........and they have been taking care of it for the last several years. I refuse to put out that type of money for cleaning and battery change, just because it is a Tag.......I love it.......but not that much. So before you buy, really know who replaces the batteries (local or sent off) in your area, and what the usual fee it. It might make a difference. gg

Finally, I went to a really old family jewelry firm in our town and explained my dilema. They told me they would replace the battery for $15, but of course, they were not authorized Tag dealers, so it might void the warranty. I told them to do it.........and they have been taking care of it for the last several years. I refuse to put out that type of money for cleaning and battery change, just because it is a Tag.......I love it.......but not that much. So before you buy, really know who replaces the batteries (local or sent off) in your area, and what the usual fee it. It might make a difference. gg

I did this with my Rado watch and about 6 months later the darned thing died. Because I had the battery replaced at a local jeweler, the warranty was void. The motherboard had died in the watch, so it was either pay $425 for the repair work, or throw it in the trash. Couldn't justify that cost when the same model was about $800, so it went in the garbage. Even good quality watches have problems that may require repairs and that warranty can save you a bundle.

Get educated about watch prices before you leave -- as everyone has said.

Know what you want and how much you want to spend. And, please buy it from an authorized dealer. Yes, the maintenance will be costly, but a good watch is a machine that needs expert care. The watch manufacturers set their prices and discounts and they should be the same prices in all of the shops in the ports. I think the Serenade may have sold some Tags on the ship. We were on the Serenade a few years ago. A "deal" may cost you dearly when the watch needs to be factory-serviced.

There is a place in Rockville (I see you are in Manassas) that has a brick and mortar store. They seem to sell everything, have been in business for generations and claim to be able to do all repairs on site. I don't know if I'm allowed to post a website, but here goes: http://www.alanfurman.com/noframes/tag1.html They are not authorized dealers for anything. They can explain all of that to you if you call them.

Call them and price out the watch you want. Also, call some shops in the islands that you will be visiting on your cruise.

I just went through a search for an Omega Aqua Terra, but when I went to get it, it wouldn't wind (it's automatic, not quartz) I went to a store at Tysons II to see what I could find there and wound up (no pun intended:D) with something totally different and a little better than the Omega.

DH has a Heuer Monaco which he purchased on board the Paradise years ago. Our local jeweler in Baltimore gave us a price much lower than we paid on the ship and they (Carnival) refunded us the difference in price. There was something special about that model and he just had to have it. The beginning of a collection started there!

Good luck and do your research before you get sucked into a deal that isn't so great. It's a perfect storm for jewelry stores in the Caribbean. I got caught up in the Phillip Stein Teslar thing last year. I have regretted that purchase ever since. I still don't think Diamonds International is even an authorized dealer of Phillip Stein. Don't get me started....

--Judy

I love my Tag...definitely good for people who are prone to banging their watch on things. I agree with the advice that you should do your homework first...know what you want and how much it is. My friend bought one on the Vision of the Seas last year. My parents picked mine up also on a cruise, not Royal Carribean, and got a better deal than the islands. However, if you are a good bargainer, you might be able to get a deal in St. Thomas or St. Martin.

Yes - I have been doing my homework and will continue to do so. I researched it years ago and thought that DH was off the Tag but apparently he is not. Just so everyone doesn't worry - of course I will buy it from an authorized dealer and when I mentioned Ebay they do have folks who are authorized dealers on there...at least they say they are but of course I would check it out ahead of time.

I'm not too keen on the whole Tag Heuer concept...especially with the possible maintenance required. Whatever happened to a good ole Timex ;). But DH wants what he wants and I have been putting it off for several years and now may possibly be the time I finally cave in...

Thanks for all your help. Keep any suggestions coming! I'm at work right now but I'll be checking everything out a bit later.

Ok - so, I've done some searching online....sheesh.... I checked out the website a poster recommended and they seem like a pretty good deal... However, I don't know what to do. Authorized retailer...non-authorized retailer who will honor the warranty work... Arrrggghhhh..... Is it worth saving a few hundred? Well, who doesn't want to save a few hundred :)... The watch he is looking at is fortunately one of the cheaper ones. It retails for $1295....and that is exactly what Bailey, Banks, and Biddle is selling it for (that's where we were the other day)... They did give us a $175 off coupon (of course by the time you're done with taxes....it's right back up there again...or at least some of it. Something is comforting about getting it from an authorized dealer right in our backyard...but, paying $500 less is also very tempting...

Ok - so, I've done some searching online....sheesh.... I checked out the website a poster recommended and they seem like a pretty good deal... However, I don't know what to do. Authorized retailer...non-authorized retailer who will honor the warranty work... Arrrggghhhh..... Is it worth saving a few hundred? Well, who doesn't want to save a few hundred :)... The watch he is looking at is fortunately one of the cheaper ones. It retails for $1295....and that is exactly what Bailey, Banks, and Biddle is selling it for (that's where we were the other day)... They did give us a $175 off coupon (of course by the time you're done with taxes....it's right back up there again...or at least some of it. Something is comforting about getting it from an authorized dealer right in our backyard...but, paying $500 less is also very tempting...

If your BB&B is willing to discount the watch $175, that's about 13%. You probably have around 15-20% to play with in the islands. You will not pay sales tax in the Caribbean. You will have to declare it to customs if you go over your allowance. There are some great shops in San Juan if you are spending time there. No tax, no duty because you are in the US. Look at Tag's website and find the authorized dealers for the islands you are visiting. If you can't find a better deal, buy it from BB&B or Liljenquist & Beckstead Swiss Watches at Tysons II. They will work with you on price.

One last word about authorized vs non-authorized. If something goes wrong with the watch and it was purchased at an authorized dealer (you will have a stamped warranty card when you purchase your timepiece,) you can bring it to any other authorized dealer -- BB&B, for example -- and they will send it out for repairs. Should be at no charge to you if it is warranty work. If the watch runs fast or slow, they will have to adjust it at a repair facility (authorized ;-) )

I am queen of the bargains, but paying for some peace of mind down the road is worth the extra $$. If the watch has an automatic movement (as opposed to a quartz movement,) it will need to be cleaned and maintained every so often. If it is not being worn all the time (and is automatic) your dh will want to keep it on a watch winder. More $$ to think about, but will keep an automatic watch happy.

--Judy

We have looked at Tags in the Carribean and never found a bargain; the only advantage was no sales tax. All authorized dealers sell at pretty much the same price, I have found.

I would never consider purchasing an expensive watch from a seller on eBay. Only purchase from an authorized dealer and save yourself heartache in the future.

We have had good luck with Bailey, Banks and Biddle and you really never have to pay the marked price. Of course, they will lower the price on almost any expensive item if you merely ask.

Both my husband and I have Tags and they are nice watches. I just had the battery replaced in mine through BB&B last month, and it cost $49.01. When I used to get my Rolex overhauled (and this was done every few years - it has an automatic movement), that bill was always over $300. Just something to think about.

6rugrats - so are you saying that I can ask BB&B to possibly come down on the price? How much do you think they would come down? They gave me a coupon to use by end of year - $175 off...do you think I should show them that and ask if they can come back more? How should I go about doing it? I am such a negotiator with vehicles but when it comes to something like this - I just don't know how to approach it.

Just for everyone's info - ok - no Ebay :) got that loud and clear....now the question is do I go local or not?

My DH bought me a Tag when cruising to Hawaii - we had been looking at them and getting prices here at home so we knew approx prices. I ended up buying mine onboard the Carnival Spirit - it's the Exclusive Tag - and we saved about $400.

When I needed to get the battery replaced - the jewler here in town had to send it in to Tag - cost me $100, but did include a 1 year all inclusive warrenty. I was told the reason mine had to be sent to Tag was because it's waterproof and Tag needed to do the pressurizing to ensure it would still be under warranty.

6rugrats - so are you saying that I can ask BB&B to possibly come down on the price? How much do you think they would come down? They gave me a coupon to use by end of year - $175 off...do you think I should show them that and ask if they can come back more? How should I go about doing it? I am such a negotiator with vehicles but when it comes to something like this - I just don't know how to approach it.

Just for everyone's info - ok - no Ebay :) got that loud and clear....now the question is do I go local or not?

'

If you like to negotiate, it doesn't hurt to try! I think the $175 is a pretty good discount for them. It seems a lot of people are not aware that many times, you can negotiate a better price from jewelers then the marked price. I guess I would just tell them you are looking at Tags and trying to get the best price, show them your coupon and ask if they possibly could do a little better. No idea if they would, but why not ask?

I did this with my Rado watch and about 6 months later the darned thing died. Because I had the battery replaced at a local jeweler, the warranty was void. The motherboard had died in the watch, so it was either pay $425 for the repair work, or throw it in the trash. Couldn't justify that cost when the same model was about $800, so it went in the garbage. Even good quality watches have problems that may require repairs and that warranty can save you a bundle.

Water Baby......I knew that the warranty would be void when I took it to any jeweler other than a certified Tag jeweler. I did this purposefully because I refuse to pay $75 - $150 every two years or less to have a battery changed, when a highly skilled jeweler locally will do it for $15. Heck, it is 11 years old now, and if it breaks, I have almost saved enough for a NEW TAG. If the watch has a problem, he can repair it. If the watch had a problem and Tag repairs it, that will cost you plenty, just in shipping and handling alone, much less the time it takes them to get it back (6 weeks the first time mine was sent to Tag for new battery.) So, all in all, I think I got the better deal. I have had it for 11 years (yesterday) and it works perfect. Works for me. gg

always see if you can get a lower price. Some watches (like rolex), authorized dealers are prohibited from lowering the price...for most people anyway, but they'll sometimes take a small % off for someone who is a very good customer. They will not do that for just anybody because they can have that authorization pulled by Rolex.

On tags, sure, you can get 5-10% off if you talk your game right;) Trust me. :D It never EVER hurts to ask if they can do that for you. Some will to keep your business, some can't because they may be bound by policy.

But again its totally your call on what you decide to do. IMO, buying from an authorized dealer has its advantages because you can buy from one place, but you're not locked into going back to that same place for repair. It can be anyone as long as their authorized dealer for repair on the watch. And yes, they can range in price depending on the watch.

Some choose to go to someone who aren't authorized which is fine, its totally up to the individual and I think you can see there's two sides to this particular coin.

-Q

DH's Corum broke last night. The bracelet snapped. We purchased it in Grand Cayman last year at an authorized dealer. Our jeweler is an authorized dealer of Corum, Rolex, Breitling, Jaeger, you get the picture. The watch was still under warranty so they are sending it back to Corum for repairs. It will take a while, but while they have it, they will go over the movement. It has several complications so it's a good thing this happened before the warranty expired. I'm not sure if it's a one or two-year warranty. I know my first good watch was one year, but a newer one is a two-year. I think two-year warranties may be the norm now.

How does this relate to cruising? Well, Steve will be upset if his watch that has tides and moon phases is in the shop while we are on our cruise in November:o

--Judy --> who believes in a bargain, but knows you get what you pay for.

You guys have given me a lot of advice and I suppose I'll try and see if I can get a decent discount here first and then if not - we'll just try down at one of the islands or on the ship. Of course now - maybe I want a new watch :) but I don't think we can both get Tags. Maybe there is a nice Fossil watch out there for me. I've had the same Fossil that I bought for $50 on sale back in November 2000.... It's a bit beat up at this point... Any ideas on moderately priced watches below $300? Maybe I'll get myself a Citizen Eco Drive like I got DH and sell his on Ebay ;)

You guys have given me a lot of advice and I suppose I'll try and see if I can get a decent discount here first and then if not - we'll just try down at one of the islands or on the ship. Of course now - maybe I want a new watch :) but I don't think we can both get Tags. Maybe there is a nice Fossil watch out there for me. I've had the same Fossil that I bought for $50 on sale back in November 2000.... It's a bit beat up at this point... Any ideas on moderately priced watches below $300? Maybe I'll get myself a Citizen Eco Drive like I got DH and sell his on Ebay ;)

You make some good points. There are so many wonderful watches on the market today that you will have no problem finding just the one that suits you. DH originally wanted me to get a Rolex, but several friends who had them told me they just did not keep great time.....so we settled on a Tag, and while, as I said previously, I do love it and it was a precious gift from him, I would never spend that kind of money on something that is so pricey to upkeep. My snobby Tag jeweler told me (after I complained about the $150 battery installation/cleaning fee) that it was like driving a Lexus or a BMW vs a Ford or Chevy. He said when you get those serviced they cost more than the cheaper cars. I told him that I loved driving Jeeps, Tahoes, Mustangs, Chevy and Ford PickUps......so maybe I just was not a true rep of the Rolex/Tag market. And then I told him I would not return to his snooty little store........ever......and I have not. gg:D

Archived