Another Tag Heuer Thread - advice

vermonter16

I've had Tags and love them--will get another one when my current Citizen Eco drive dies. I got it in Jamaica on my honeymoon in 2000--haven't had a single problem with it. None. So I'm not sure when I'll be able to get another Tag:rolleyes:

My husband also loves Tags--he has a couple, one very old, another he bought 2 years ago but it was "pre-owned" (like those luxury cars, it's not "used", it's simply pre-owned:p ) His next watch will be a formal one--the Tags are gorgeous but sporty and I hate it when he wears it with his tuxedo:rolleyes: Alas, whenever we start shopping for watches, my eyes go straight to the >$20K Cartiers. I can't help it:o Since he doesn't need a nice watch on a daily basis (he's self-employed--you can be sure he isn't wearing a suit to work!), I have no reason to spend that much money for him....

We were just on Mariner a few weeks ago, while in Jamaica we priced a Aquaracer for $960 (after a bit of talking), the same watch on ship was $975. The ship will price match - if you have the price in writing. The store in Jamaica also had a Link for I believe $1600 (????). I havent priced the watch locally so I hope this info has helped you out.

Andy

hey guys are you going to be on the next cruise? the pirates cruise? robin and bruce and chris and i have have already booked, what about bill and bev? and by the way is bev feeling any better?:)

You make some good points. There are so many wonderful watches on the market today that you will have no problem finding just the one that suits you. DH originally wanted me to get a Rolex, but several friends who had them told me they just did not keep great time.....so we settled on a Tag, and while, as I said previously, I do love it and it was a precious gift from him, I would never spend that kind of money on something that is so pricey to upkeep. My snobby Tag jeweler told me (after I complained about the $150 battery installation/cleaning fee) that it was like driving a Lexus or a BMW vs a Ford or Chevy. He said when you get those serviced they cost more than the cheaper cars. I told him that I loved driving Jeeps, Tahoes, Mustangs, Chevy and Ford PickUps......so maybe I just was not a true rep of the Rolex/Tag market. And then I told him I would not return to his snooty little store........ever......and I have not. gg:D

Well, you do have a snobby watch dealer. No self-respecting watch dealer who ever wants to sell you a timepiece should ever talk to a prospective customer in such a manner. My Rolexes (yes, I confess to owning two) are jewelry as much as watches. There is something about the weight and mechanics of a Rolex that makes me appreciate it. Yes. They tend to keep "Rolex time", but that's part of the charm of it all. My first Rolex went into the shop right before its warranty ran out and (knock wood, nearly eight years later) keeps PERFECT time, not Rolex-time. My new one needs to go in for an adjustment.

As with a --any car at any price point, a watch will need upkeep and maintenance. It's the price you pay to keep equipment running. After paying $lots on a watch, there shouldn't be the big surprise that it needs cleaning or repair. Do you trade in a car when it needs a major tune-up? My two watches have great sentimental value to me. The first I traded for my mother's second engagement ring. It was a horrible looking stone that she hated. After she passed away I brought the ring to my jeweler and asked what I could buy with it. I picked out a mother-of-pearl and diamond face rolex. I wore it every day until I bought that crappy Philip Stein Teslar. I wore it everywhere. My mother never wore that ugly ring and instructed me to sell it after she died. The second Rolex was a gift from my grandmother, who died in 1991. We found some rolled silver change that she had kept from vending machines when she was in business. When we sold the silver (lots and lots of coins) I bought myself my less dressy new 31mm rolex with rose gold. Now I wear that every day,will e-bay my Philip Stein and keep the original Rolex for dress. Every time I look at one of those two watches I thank Mom and Nanny for the gifts.

A fine watch is worth taking care of. If you don't appreciate the inner workings and complications of a watch, then maybe you should stick with a less expensive watch. The great thing about those, is you can keep buying new ones because you won't have to justify hundreds or thousands on a timepiece. Different strokes....

Well, you do have a snobby watch dealer. No self-respecting watch dealer who ever wants to sell you a timepiece should ever talk to a prospective customer in such a manner. My Rolexes (yes, I confess to owning two) are jewelry as much as watches. There is something about the weight and mechanics of a Rolex that makes me appreciate it. Yes. They tend to keep "Rolex time", but that's part of the charm of it all. My first Rolex went into the shop right before its warranty ran out and (knock wood, nearly eight years later) keeps PERFECT time, not Rolex-time. My new one needs to go in for an adjustment.

As with a --any car at any price point, a watch will need upkeep and maintenance. It's the price you pay to keep equipment running. After paying $lots on a watch, there shouldn't be the big surprise that it needs cleaning or repair. Do you trade in a car when it needs a major tune-up? My two watches have great sentimental value to me. The first I traded for my mother's second engagement ring. It was a horrible looking stone that she hated. After she passed away I brought the ring to my jeweler and asked what I could buy with it. I picked out a mother-of-pearl and diamond face rolex. I wore it every day until I bought that crappy Philip Stein Teslar. I wore it everywhere. My mother never wore that ugly ring and instructed me to sell it after she died. The second Rolex was a gift from my grandmother, who died in 1991. We found some rolled silver change that she had kept from vending machines when she was in business. When we sold the silver (lots and lots of coins) I bought myself my less dressy new 31mm rolex with rose gold. Now I wear that every day,will e-bay my Philip Stein and keep the original Rolex for dress. Every time I look at one of those two watches I thank Mom and Nanny for the gifts.

A fine watch is worth taking care of. If you don't appreciate the inner workings and complications of a watch, then maybe you should stick with a less expensive watch. The great thing about those, is you can keep buying new ones because you won't have to justify hundreds or thousands on a timepiece. Different strokes....

You just made me want to rip the Timex off my arm and get myself a Tag ;) Good heavens....inner workings of a watch...a fine watch, upkeep maintanence... You mean a watch worth taking care of??? OMG....you should go into marketing!

As with a --any car at any price point, a watch will need upkeep and maintenance. It's the price you pay to keep equipment running. After paying $lots on a watch, there shouldn't be the big surprise that it needs cleaning or repair. Do you trade in a car when it needs a major tune-up?

I loved your stories about your watches. What a wonderful way to get such a treasure. I, too, love the weight and feel of a Rolex, as well as my Tag. It is my favorite watch. The rub came in, when purchasing the watch and asking about battery replacement. I was told it would cost about $50 to have one replaced. I thought that was fair for a nice watch. But when I got the bill and it was three times that much, and two thirds of it was from the jewelry store, I was angry. It was deceptive dealings and it did make me angry. And then to have the owner make the snotty remarks, really ticked me off. It is not always about the purchase, but getting what you paid for......watch, warranty, etc. Also, there is no store in our town of 100,000 who works on Tag. So it had to be sent off......for 6 wks. I learned a lot. If I were buying another Tag, I would purchase it from a dealer that does Tag repairs on site. gg

Archived