Cell phones to call USA

Donyb

I have read different reports on whether cell phones can be used from places like China to call the US. We are considering upgrading to a quad-band phone with our cell company but wonder if they will really work. Can anyone give some insight to their experiences?

Also, since we are doing our own touring while on our cruise, the tour operators have all given us their local number to call if we have problems. Would my cell phone work for that?

I have read different reports on whether cell phones can be used from places like China to call the US. We are considering upgrading to a quad-band phone with our cell company but wonder if they will really work. Can anyone give some insight to their experiences?

Also, since we are doing our own touring while on our cruise, the tour operators have all given us their local number to call if we have problems. Would my cell phone work for that?

Which cell company??? Some US cell companies have world phones and service, most don't (or say they do, but when you try to use them from Asia, they won't work).

I always recommend buying a Mobal phone. http://www.mobalrental.com/gsm/handsets.asp

The per minute charges for Mobal are not as cheap as some. But I KNOW they work all over Asia, no monthly service charges (pay for the minutes you use only), they send you a really neat 6 plug international package, and you can keep the phone forever. Works all over the world with crystal clarity. I keep mine (2) in my suitcase. The night before I make an overseas trip, I charge them up. When I arrive in a foreign country, I KNOW I have service IMMEDIATELY.

IF you have T-mobile or AT & T, you can purchase a world phone, activate international roaming and you should be good to go in major cities all over Asia. Any other US cell phone company-really iffy if you can get them to work overseas, even AFTER purchasing new phones. Mobal has agreements with all the little cell companies, as well as the majors. Imagine my astonishment when I was able to call from the middle of the Mekong River on a speed boat and the calls were clearer than from Phoenix to LA. Not cheap from Vietnam-$6.95 per minute to the US-but worth it for emergencies.

Which cell company??? Some US cell companies have world phones and service, most don't (or say they do, but when you try to use them from Asia, they won't work).

I always recommend buying a Mobal phone. http://www.mobalrental.com/gsm/handsets.asp

The per minute charges for Mobal are not as cheap as some. But I KNOW they work all over Asia, no monthly service charges (pay for the minutes you use only), they send you a really neat 6 plug international package, and you can keep the phone forever. Works all over the world with crystal clarity. I keep mine (2) in my suitcase. The night before I make an overseas trip, I charge them up. When I arrive in a foreign country, I KNOW I have service IMMEDIATELY.

IF you have T-mobile or AT & T, you can purchase a world phone, activate international roaming and you should be good to go in major cities all over Asia. Any other US cell phone company-really iffy if you can get them to work overseas, even AFTER purchasing new phones. Mobal has agreements with all the little cell companies, as well as the majors. Imagine my astonishment when I was able to call from the middle of the Mekong River on a speed boat and the calls were clearer than from Phoenix to LA. Not cheap from Vietnam-$6.95 per minute to the US-but worth it for emergencies.

Thanks for the info. In fact our company is T-Mobile. They are telling me that the quad band phones will work but who knows? I'm aware of having to activate the international calling before I go.

Maybe Mobal is the the way to go:)

Nancy

Thanks for the info. In fact our company is T-Mobile. They are telling me that the quad band phones will work but who knows? I'm aware of having to activate the international calling before I go.

Maybe Mobal is the the way to go:)

Nancy

If you have T-mobile, then get a new phone and international service. You should be fine, unless you are going WAAAAY out in the country. No need to spend the money for Mobal. And the calls with T-mobile will be cheaper.

Western mobile telephones will not work in Japan.

Wrong frequency - even with quad bands.

In China, most foreign telephone service companies are required to post a deposit and register you before your mobile telephone will work there.

At & T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Mobal all work in China with international roaming. The roaming agreements are in place for the US companies. Mobal works especially well in Asia.

If you have phone that use SIM card (All T-Mobile world phones use SIM). All you need is buy a new SIM and ativeate locally in each country, you will get a new local phone number and use it like a local cell phone. In Hong Kong, I believed you can get servers cover HK and China. I know my friend has phone cover Singapore and Macau (will not be supprise it also cover HK and China).

Price is around $25 to $40 a months depend on the services but no long term contract. In Vietnam, you can get a new SIM inside Diamond Plaza in Saigon. In Bangkok (inside MBK or World Central ). In Hong Kong you can get a SIM on Nathan road. HK has somany differnt service providers cover all different region in Asia. You may find service cover from Singapore to China.

Once you return to US, put your old SIM card back, you will get your T-Mobile phone numbers back.

In Japan, even buying a new SIM card will not help you.

First you need to be a resident to purchase the SIM card.

Second you need a mobile telephone that connects to Japanese frequencies.

But foreign visitors can rent a Japanese mobile telephone (kaiten) during their stay.

Nancy, to answer your question, yes, your T Mobile service will work from places such as China to call back to the United States.

You can use either the dual or quad band phone and you will need to call T Mobile to have them add the International Roaming Feature to your phone. This feature does not have any type of monthly recurring cost. You will only be billed when you make the calls on a per minute basis. The per minute charges range from Country. T Mobile supports international roaming from around 195 countries throughout the world. It has the best coverage of most of the cell phone providers. The T Mobile site has a section that will provide the per minute charges for calls back to the USA from each of the countries served on their network.

Keith

If you have phone that use SIM card (All T-Mobile world phones use SIM). All you need is buy a new SIM and ativeate locally in each country, you will get a new local phone number and use it like a local cell phone. In Hong Kong, I believed you can get servers cover HK and China. I know my friend has phone cover Singapore and Macau (will not be supprise it also cover HK and China).

Price is around $25 to $40 a months depend on the services but no long term contract. In Vietnam, you can get a new SIM inside Diamond Plaza in Saigon. In Bangkok (inside MBK or World Central ). In Hong Kong you can get a SIM on Nathan road. HK has somany differnt service providers cover all different region in Asia. You may find service cover from Singapore to China.

Once you return to US, put your old SIM card back, you will get your T-Mobile phone numbers back.

To use a local SIM, you must have an "UNLOCKED" cell phone. Most US cell providers will NOT unlock your phone-they don't want you changing SIM. You most likely will have to purchase an unlocked cell phone on Ebay or from a private person.

IMHO, SIM use in different countries, although much cheaper than using a US cell phone with international capabilities, is a real hassle. Trying to remember which SIM belongs to which country, trying to remember how many minutes you have left on a SIM, trying to get them recharged, etc. etc. is just a hassle. I have about 20 SIM cards from various countries. Some have the country name/markings on them, some don't. I have no idea which one goes to which country or how many minutes are left on these cards. The "Orange" (brand name) SIM's work great in Europe-one card for most countries. But in Asia, different countries, even different areas of countries use different SIM's. I find it to be just too much hassle.

The answer of course is a Japanese SIM Card. They work in every country on the planet (with the right Japanese telephone)- including Japan. Unfortunately you need to be a Japanese resident to purchase one.

My Japanese mobile telephone roams in every country in the world. And the price is the same in every country - 6 Yen a minute, calling anyplace, anytime. That's about 07 US Cents a minute.

Didn't Americans invent the telephone?

What happened?????

Just got my international unlocked, good in 170 countries,gsm cell phone from www.rangeroamer.com. You need a quad band phone.

The cheapest quad was the RAZR V3. You get your own USA 800 number and a european number also. The cost 2 keep the USA number is $3.99 a month. You don not have to keep between trip, when you travel again you get another number. Calls in and out cost from 62 to 99 cents a minute.

Al :D

Just got my international unlocked, good in 170 countries,gsm cell phone from www.rangeroamer.com. You need a quad band phone.

The cheapest quad was the RAZR V3. You get your own USA 800 number and a european number also. The cost 2 keep the USA number is $3.99 a month. You don not have to keep between trip, when you travel again you get another number. Calls in and out cost from 62 to 99 cents a minute.

This phone looks like a pretty good deal. The per minute charges are certainly cheaper than Mobal. However, I question being able to use the phone in Japan and there is no service in Cambodia/Vietnam.

As Phillip217 pointed out, Japan's cell system is it's own little world. The few trips I have made to Japan, I have had to rent a compatible cell phone.

And since most cruises in Asia spend quite a bit of time in Vietnam/Cambodia, you will have no service with this phone.

Good deal, though, if it works. Please let us know.

This phone looks like a pretty good deal. The per minute charges are certainly cheaper than Mobal. However, I question being able to use the phone in Japan and there is no service in Cambodia/Vietnam.

As Phillip217 pointed out, Japan's cell system is it's own little world. The few trips I have made to Japan, I have had to rent a compatible cell phone.

And since most cruises in Asia spend quite a bit of time in Vietnam/Cambodia, you will have no service with this phone.

In the coverage section (Asia) Japan is listed. You need a quad phone (1900 frequency) for Japan.

Hello,

The phone will work in those countries, but you may need different SIMs as I cannot find Cambodia listed in our provider list, and while we do show Vietnam, it is very new and I am unable to find any rates on the calls there.

I hope this clarifies things,

Steve

Rangeroamer.com

In the coverage section (Asia) Japan is listed. You need a quad phone (1900 frequency) for Japan.

I still don't believe the phone will work in Japan.

http://euc.jp/misc/cellphones.en.html#tech

But very interesting about Vietnam/Cambodia. Possibly cheaper than Mobal, if the service is as good. As a business traveler, I absolutely must have a way for customers to reach me 24/7. I have stuck with Mobal for that reason (EXCELLENT coverage everyplace I have been in the world EXCEPT Panama and Japan). But your service is a WHOLE lot cheaper per minute from China, Peru and Chile (places I spend quite a bit of time). Please let us know how well it works.

But very interesting about Vietnam/Cambodia. Possibly cheaper than Mobal, if the service is as good. As a business traveler, I absolutely must have a way for customers to reach me 24/7. I have stuck with Mobal for that reason (EXCELLENT coverage everyplace I have been in the world EXCEPT Panama and Japan). But your service is a WHOLE lot cheaper per minute from China, Peru and Chile (places I spend quite a bit of time). Please let us know how well it works.

He said in the e-mail it would work, he has it on his site that it works, if it doen't he is getting it back and I will file complaint wit American express. But from what friends have told, they have happy with the servide. but I will post how it worked. We are on the Sapphire Princess asia cruise leaving the Nov. 16th from USA and returning late Dec. 4th

al :D

You can buy a unlock cell phone online or pay someone to unlock your sim. I have an old nokia phone that my firend gave me years ago and I only use it when I travel ouitside us.

You can read more about Cell Phone unlocking and where to buy one. if you travel oversea all the time, it may be a good idea to get one. Some as low as $50.

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/unlockingfaq.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock

buy your Unlocked GSM Cell Phones at Amazon, Tigerdirect or buy.com

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_slc.asp?CatId=1809&SRCCODE=WEBGOOGSM&CMP=KNC-GOOGL

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e/105-4394540-8559625?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=Unlocked+GSM+Cell+Phones&Go.x=6&Go.y=8

http://www.buy.com/retail/searchresults.asp?querytype=home&qu=unlocked+cell+phones&qxt=home&display=&dclksa=1

• 1 month later...

Just got back from an abbreviated cruise ( 3 Typoons)

The phone worked in Thailand, Singapore. we skipped vietnam. Taipei, okinawal worked in Hong Kong and shanghai and Beijing. In fact when I did use it I got better reception there than over here with verison an cingular. In may I am off to the eastern med and the holy land, will let uou know how it works there

AL:p

Just got back from an abbreviated cruise ( 3 Typoons)

The phone worked in Thailand, Singapore. we skipped vietnam. Taipei, okinawal worked in Hong Kong and shanghai and Beijing. In fact when I did use it I got better reception there than over here with verison an cingular. In may I am off to the eastern med and the holy land, will let uou know how it works there

AL:p

I forgot so say that phone did not work in Nagasaki. Just got AT&T's booklet on international rates. First you have to be a lawyer to read the fine print. There rates are higher than Rangeroamer and in the booklet they quote anywhere from 170 countries on 1 page then 200 on another and then further 220 countries.

Hello Al,

So sorry to hear that you guys had so many ports cancelled. We were on the cruise before you and I started this thread. We have T-Mobile and have a new quad-band phone and actually only tried to use it in Beijing, Hong Kong and Bangkok. I called my sister and it worked every time. I was delighted. Every time I called, it was like she was in the next room. Of course now we have paid the roaming charges which are not inexpensive. But...it is great to hear the voice of loved ones:)

Archived