Cape Liberty/Newark questions

lakim

Specifically, after a Broadway show and perhaps a walk around Times Square, what would be the safest way back to the hotel and how safe would we really be that late at night all along the route?

Good choice on going for the Hilton in downtown Newark. It is centrally-located, and easy to travel about.

For returning to hotel from Times Square at night, I would suggest using the New Jersey Transit bus from Port Authority Bus Terminal. It is not far from the theatres and just one block from Times Square. It operates express to Newark Penn Station, and you'll be back in Newark 22 minutes after leaving New York City. The bus generally operates once an hour (usually on the hour), so it is best to have a schedule when traveling. This is bus route 108, departing from platform 213 until 10:00 p.m., then from platform 316 thereafter. The fare is $4.40 (buy tickets on the concourse level of the bus terminal). The Port Authority Bus Terminal is located on Eighth Avenue, between 40th and 42nd Streets.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0108.pdf

You could also travel by New Jersey Transit train. It is a longer walk to the station from Times Square (New York Penn Station is on Seventh Avenue between 31st and 33rd Streets). The travel time is 19 minutes, and there are about 3 trains per hour. The fare is $4.00 (buy tickets on the concourse level of the railroad station).

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/current/r0070.pdf

Finally, you could also travel on the PATH train. This is the least expensive method of travel, but it is the most distant from Times Square, requires the most travel time, and requires a change of trains. The PATH trains depart from the 33rd Street station, located under Sixth Avenue at 32nd Street. The travel time is 22 minutes from 33rd Street station to Journal Square (where you change trains), plus 11 minutes from Journal Square to Newark. The fare is $1.50, paid in cash at the turnstile upon entry (change provided). Visit the PATH website for maps and detailed schedules (trains operate fairly freuqntly).

http://www.pathrail.com

Good choice on going for the Hilton in downtown Newark. It is centrally-located, and easy to travel about.

For returning to hotel from Times Square at night, I would suggest using the New Jersey Transit bus from Port Authority Bus Terminal. It is not far from the theatres and just one block from Times Square. It operates express to Newark Penn Station, and you'll be back in Newark 22 minutes after leaving New York City. The bus generally operates once an hour (usually on the hour), so it is best to have a schedule when traveling. This is bus route 108, departing from platform 213 until 10:00 p.m., then from platform 316 thereafter. The fare is $4.40 (buy tickets on the concourse level of the bus terminal). The Port Authority Bus Terminal is located on Eighth Avenue, between 40th and 42nd Streets.

You could also travel by New Jersey Transit train. It is a longer walk to the station from Times Square (New York Penn Station is on Seventh Avenue between 31st and 33rd Streets). The travel time is 19 minutes, and there are about 3 trains per hour. The fare is $4.00 (buy tickets on the concourse level of the railroad station).

Finally, you could also travel on the PATH train. This is the least expensive method of travel, but it is the most distant from Times Square, requires the most travel time, and requires a change of trains. The PATH trains depart from the 33rd Street station, located under Sixth Avenue at 32nd Street. The travel time is 22 minutes from 33rd Street station to Journal Square (where you change trains), plus 11 minutes from Journal Square to Newark. The fare is $1.50, paid in cash at the turnstile upon entry (change provided). Visit the PATH website for maps and detailed schedules (trains operate fairly freuqntly).

Just curious-is the bus really safe for women traveling alone late at night??? How late does the bus run???

I have always taken a taxi/subway to WTC, then nonstop PATH to Newark Penn Station. No transfer. I never thought about the bus. But is it safe???

Wow, GTJ, that is outstanding information! Thanks for all the details - that is exactly what we need. I'll print this and keep it with me. I can tell you are a detail person like myself.

That reminds me, your post made me think that your directions along with my pocket GPS would be quite a nice combination. However, it occurrs to me (being from New Orleans) that flashing an expensive GPS around might increase my chances of a mugging, and it's hard not to be obvious when you're following a GPS! I've used that GPS in New Orleans, Seattle, Los Angelos, San Francisco, Houston, Memphis, Orlando, Key West, Chicago, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, Vancouver, Victoria, etc. and absolutely love it! It has a setting for walking that is wonderful and there is no way you can get lost when using it as it lets you know immediately if you make a wrong turn. I've never worried about someone seeing it as I've always had my husband (6'1") and son (6'6") with me when I travel, but not this time.

Just curious-is the bus really safe for women traveling alone late at night??? How late does the bus run???

I have always taken a taxi/subway to WTC, then nonstop PATH to Newark Penn Station. No transfer. I never thought about the bus. But is it safe???

Since buses are safer than trains, and if you're comfortable enough on the train, then you should be more than comfortable on the bus. The last 108 departure is at 12:59 a.m. daily.

I usually go with one of the rail routes only because they are less expensive. But I find the buses to have more comfortable seats and generally more personal service (on the trains, once the NJT conductor and other trainmen have collected tickets, they all disappear; there is a conductor on the PATH train, but he or she always remains in the first car with the engineer, never circulating throughout the train).

Since buses are safer than trains, and if you're comfortable enough on the train, then you should be more than comfortable on the bus. The last 108 departure is at 12:59 a.m. daily.

You last sentence answers the question why I have never taken the bus. I am usually around the little West 14th St. meat market or the Canal Street food purveyors at that hour, seeing customers. They generally open about midnight.

But thanks for the bus info. I'm glad it is safe. If I need to leave NYC earlier and am midtown, I will try the bus.

You last sentence answers the question why I have never taken the bus. I am usually around the little West 14th St. meat market or the Canal Street food purveyors at that hour, seeing customers. They generally open about midnight.

But thanks for the bus info. I'm glad it is safe. If I need to leave NYC earlier and am midtown, I will try the bus.

My response was based on the initial request that related to transportation from the theatres and Times Square, and in that circumstance the bus from Port Authority makes sense. From 14th Street (or Little West 12th Street) I would certainly just hop onto the PATH train under Sixth Avenue at 14th Street, and from Canal Street I would get the PATH train at World Trade Center (walking there if the weather is pleasant).

Thanks, I have been to their web sites and I now have a better idea on what we want to do.

The closest to the mall are the Residence Inn and Courtyard Newark/Elizabeth (the address is Glimcher Realty Way) They have shuttles from the airport..none of the marriott brands have shuttles to the pier...

cab/car serivce is about 40-50 bucks......and it takes maybe 30 minutes or less...(traffic into and out of the port can be a little nuts as it is one way in and out. ) the rate is flat...have the hotel call a cab/car for you. (i asked for a cab, they said the car service was the same price )

you will get free breakfast at the Residence Inn..the CY offers it-i think it was between 10-12 dollars....i have stayed in them both and they are fine....there is a Ruby Tuesday restaurant in the parking lot of the hotel complex....(like a TGI Fridays or a Hard Rock Cafe without the loud music!)

when you get to the airport, you will go get your bags and then take the monorail to stop P4-that is where all the hotel shuttles stop.

www.panynj.com is the website for the agency that operates the airports!

www.jerseygardens.com is an outlet mall and you can walk to it from the hotels mentioned above....

Archived