Cape Liberty/Newark questions

lakim

DD and I are sailing on the Explorer out of Cape Liberty on December 14th. After doing a lot of research on cruisecritic about hotels in the Newark area I think we have decided to stay at the Hilton Penn Station for the 2 nights before we leave. I still have a few questions that hopefully some of you can address:

1) My husband and son had to back out of the trip for work reasons, so it will just be my 21-year-old daughter and I traveling. We want to spend a couple of days in NYC doing the "touristy" things: WTC, shopping, Times Square, shopping, Empire State Building, shopping, Broadway show etc. (Did I mention shopping?) I am leaning towards the Hilton Penn Station because of its convenience to transportation. I know the station is physically connected to the hotel which is a big plus, but just how safe will two women feel returning from NYC late at night? Specifically, after a Broadway show and perhaps a walk around Times Square, what would be the safest way back to the hotel and how safe would we really be that late at night all along the route?

2) Oddly enough, it is actually cheaper to book the Hilton through Royal Caribbean, though I may end up using Hilton Honors points to get the nights free instead. Does anyone have any experience with the RCL shuttle to the pier that is included if we purchase the room through the cruiseline? I doubt that we will be happy with it as it probably makes stops at several hotels and gets to the ship relatively late. Like most cruisecritic members, we like to be among the first to arrive at the port and we lose control of this using their services. If we don't book through RCL can anyone tell me what a cab from the hotel to the port should cost?

3) Just how cold should we expect the weather to be? After our cruise to Alaska in May we know the merits of layering, so I assume this is a good strategy here as well? What are the chances of snow this time of year?

Sorry this post is so long but I think it better to give too much information rather than too little. Thanks to all of you who offer your expertise in this forum; we NYC "first-timers" appreciate the suggestions!

I would feel safer in NYC around TImes Square than in Newark but if you don't have to actually go outside to get from the train station to the hotel it would probably be OK.....

Personally I would not choose that hotel, but that's just me....I would stay closer to the airport. The Hilton gets better than average reviews on trip advisor so that is good....

Can't tell you about the shuttle....cab (or car service) would be around $40-50.

Weather could be very cold or nor very cold....layers would be a good thing....there is a 50-50 chance of snow...our weather can be wacky here...last year, we didn't have too much snow. You probably will want to be warm, but I don't think you want to have a big bulky coat (although from NOLa you may not own one!!) If you have layers and a hat and gloves you will be ok. I tend to do a long sleeve tee, maybe a light sweater and a medium weight jacket when I hit NY to shop (mainly because i get too hot and i hate to be all 'bulky'- slows me down! :p

Make sure you go see the tree and skaters at Rockefeller Center....and the windows in all the stores are neat!

I am sure other locals will pop up with answers but this is a start!

I would feel safer in NYC around TImes Square than in Newark but if you don't have to actually go outside to get from the train station to the hotel it would probably be OK.....

Personally I would not choose that hotel, but that's just me....I would stay closer to the airport. The Hilton gets better than average reviews on trip advisor so that is good....

Can't tell you about the shuttle....cab (or car service) would be around $40-50.

Weather could be very cold or nor very cold....layers would be a good thing....there is a 50-50 chance of snow...our weather can be wacky here...last year, we didn't have too much snow. You probably will want to be warm, but I don't think you want to have a big bulky coat (although from NOLa you may not own one!!) If you have layers and a hat and gloves you will be ok. I tend to do a long sleeve tee, maybe a light sweater and a medium weight jacket when I hit NY to shop (mainly because i get too hot and i hate to be all 'bulky'- slows me down! :p

Make sure you go see the tree and skaters at Rockefeller Center....and the windows in all the stores are neat!

I am sure other locals will pop up with answers but this is a start!

Thanks for the opinions!

Staying at the airport area would be great but I don't know how easy/expensive it would be to get back to the hotel after a night in the city. I assume we would have to take a cab from Penn Station and that seems to me to be a little less safe coming in late at night. What are our other options?

You're right - we didn't have a lot of winter wear being from NOLA, but we had to buy quite a bit for our trip to Alaska. (Landing on a glacier was a bit nippy!) I'm with you, I hate that "bulky" feeling, so I'm sure I'll be more comfortable if I can pull off layers as I get warm. We'll probably have a backpack with us to carry our purchases and we can use it for carrying our layers as well. That is, if there is any room left after DD has visited Macy's, Bloomingdales, Saks, etc. Any other suggestions for places a 21-year-old college student would love to shop? I think I read somewhere on here that Century 21 has discount designer clothing? Any other places like that?

Thanks for the opinions!

Staying at the airport area would be great but I don't know how easy/expensive it would be to get back to the hotel after a night in the city. I assume we would have to take a cab from Penn Station and that seems to me to be a little less safe coming in late at night. What are our other options?

Most of the airport hotels have shuttles from the a/p. NJ Transit (and Amtrak-but NJ Transit is cheaper) have stops at EWR airport...then you would just hop the monorail to the P4 stop and take the shuttle to your hotel.[/color]

You're right - we didn't have a lot of winter wear being from NOLA, but we had to buy quite a bit for our trip to Alaska. (Landing on a glacier was a bit nippy!) I'm with you, I hate that "bulky" feeling, so I'm sure I'll be more comfortable if I can pull off layers as I get warm. We'll probably have a backpack with us to carry our purchases and we can use it for carrying our layers as well. That is, if there is any room left after DD has visited Macy's, Bloomingdales, Saks, etc. Any other suggestions for places a 21-year-old college student would love to shop? I think I read somewhere on here that Century 21 has discount designer clothing? Any other places like that?

Century 21 can have some great bargains......I used to go there often!

http://www.c21stores.com/

now as for a couple other options....none of these are Hiltons, but you could try these....the benefit is they are across the street from jersey gardens outlet mall

www.jerseygardens.com and i think the hotel or mall has a shuttle, but you could walk. and there is a ruby tuesday restaurant in the parking lot. you could go to the airport and hop the train into NYC

http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=HomePageTo

Residence Inn and Courtyard by Marriott Newark/Elizabeth

Country Inn & Suites Newark/Elizabeth

All are on Glimcher Realty way. The Res Inn and Country Inn include breakfast. The CY has it...10-12 bucks IIRC..but sometimes they have a rate that includes it.

I have stayed in all those hotels...I generally stick with Marriott brands.... (there are others around...including another Courtyard and a Springhill Suites which might work for you. The Springhill is newer than the Courtyard near it...but the ones by the outlets are newer still i believe.)

you also have your choice of another Hilton, an Hampton and a Doubletree by the a/p and all will have free shuttles from the airport to the hotel...and i believe that they run 24 hours....(if not a cab wouldn't be so bad from the airport to any of those hotels....)

hth and let us know if you have any other questions....

See above......i added stuff in with your questions....:)

The reason the Hilton Penn is cheaper thru RC than on your own is because it is mid week and the place will be full of business people....the other hilton barnds closer to the a/p are cheaper.......(approx half!!) so that might be helpful and it looks like the Hilton airport and hampton airport have rewards nights available....(i was bored!):rolleyes:

Also, keep in mind that to go from NYC over to Cape Liberty (Bayonne, NJ) is going to cost you an arm and a leg. I was getting quotes from cabs at $200 to $450 for a ride from the Edison Hotel at Times Square.

Granted the $450 was for a 4 hour tour, because the cabbie didn't want to just take us over to NJ.

I was told by other posters on these boards, and then from the transportation board in NYC that taxi's are regulated in NYC, BUT to leave NYC they can charge you whatever they want. Most take the meter and double it, because they are not allowed to pick up fares in NJ and return to NYC empty, so they actually charge you for both directions.

I ended up booking a limo company that had a van, because of the amount of luggage we had, I was afraid we wouldn't fit into a regular sedan. It cost me $98 from Times Square to Cape Liberty, then another $110 from Cape Liberty to JFK. That was including tax, tolls and tip for two people. I think the company was called NYC Transportation, but I just did a search and couldn't find it.

Did I miss the reason you want to be at Penn Station? I'd try to find a hotel in Times Square, if that's where you are wanting to walk around and go to a show. There are lots of nice hotels there. We loved the Edison. Others have spoken of Super 8 being reasonable, right in the heart of Times Square. It was absolutely awesome, and we never felt threatened or afraid (two older ladies). Of course we weren't out walking at 2 am either. I think the latest we returned to the hotel was 11:00 pm. We walked our feet off. We had purchased the Gray Line loop tour and rode around and got off, then got back on. We rode the bus down and went to Lindy's for their famous cheesecake and miscalculated the blocks to return. We walked so much our feet hurt, so I hailed a pedi-cab, what a ride. My friend was scared on that ride. He was whipping in and out of traffic, it was exhilerating to say the least, but fun to for a first trip to NYC. We had a blast! I know you will too.

Also, keep in mind that to go from NYC over to Cape Liberty (Bayonne, NJ) is going to cost you an arm and a leg. I was getting quotes from cabs at $200 to $450 for a ride from the Edison Hotel at Times Square.

Granted the $450 was for a 4 hour tour, because the cabbie didn't want to just take us over to NJ.

I was told by other posters on these boards, and then from the transportation board in NYC that taxi's are regulated in NYC, BUT to leave NYC they can charge you whatever they want. Most take the meter and double it, because they are not allowed to pick up fares in NJ and return to NYC empty, so they actually charge you for both directions.

I ended up booking a limo company that had a van, because of the amount of luggage we had, I was afraid we wouldn't fit into a regular sedan. It cost me $98 from Times Square to Cape Liberty, then another $110 from Cape Liberty to JFK. That was including tax, tolls and tip for two people. I think the company was called NYC Transportation, but I just did a search and couldn't find it.

Did I miss the reason you want to be at Penn Station? I'd try to find a hotel in Times Square, if that's where you are wanting to walk around and go to a show. There are lots of nice hotels there. We loved the Edison. Others have spoken of Super 8 being reasonable, right in the heart of Times Square. It was absolutely awesome, and we never felt threatened or afraid (two older ladies). Of course we weren't out walking at 2 am either. I think the latest we returned to the hotel was 11:00 pm. We walked our feet off. We had purchased the Gray Line loop tour and rode around and got off, then got back on. We rode the bus down and went to Lindy's for their famous cheesecake and miscalculated the blocks to return. We walked so much our feet hurt, so I hailed a pedi-cab, what a ride. My friend was scared on that ride. He was whipping in and out of traffic, it was exhilerating to say the least, but fun to for a first trip to NYC. We had a blast! I know you will too.

They are talking about NEWARK Penn station...NOT penn station in Manhattan:cool:

NYC cabs and NJ....except for Newark Airport NY city cabs are not required to go anywhere in NJ. The fare to Newark Airport is regulated as meter plus tolls plus $15.00 and tips. It runs about $70.00 from Manhattan is much farther away from Manhattan than the Cruise terminal. The cabs can't pick up a fare at newark Airport either. So anything over $70.00 is a rip offs but no one can tell them not to. Most car services will do it for about the $70.00. I use Arecibo at 7187836465. They are reliable and inexpensive but they don't shcedule in advance mostly they just come when called...

you can see the rules at http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like to collect all the info I can.

I really haven't considered staying in Manhattan because we are flying into Newark and sailing out of Bayonne. Logistically and financially it seems that it would be better to get our room in Newark and make day trips into NYC, but only if we can feel safe doing so.

The reason I was considering the Hilton Penn Station (in Newark) was for what I hoped would be the relative safety of the indoor walkway between the hotel and the train station. What I don't know is whether the train, the station, and the very long walkway are actually safe at, say, 11 pm on a weekday. There is also a Path train at the Newark Penn Station and I don't know how these compare for safety.

megr1125, I see that there are quite a few Marriott and Hilton properties near the Newark airport in the $170-$190 range per night which is about the same as the Hilton Penn Station through RCL. Staying at one of them would mean taking their shuttle to the airport in order to get to the train and giving up the convenience of the direct walkway. Do you consider that a safer option?

agabbymama and smeyer418, thanks for the info on cabs and car services. I will need this if the consensus is that we need to stay in Manhattan.

I really haven't considered staying in Manhattan because we are flying into Newark and sailing out of Bayonne. Logistically and financially it seems that it would be better to get our room in Newark and make day trips into NYC, but only if we can feel safe doing so.

The reason I was considering the Hilton Penn Station (in Newark) was for what I hoped would be the relative safety of the indoor walkway between the hotel and the train station. What I don't know is whether the train, the station, and the very long walkway are actually safe at, say, 11 pm on a weekday. There is also a Path train at the Newark Penn Station and I don't know how these compare for safety.

megr1125, I see that there are quite a few Marriott and Hilton properties near the Newark airport in the $170-$190 range per night which is about the same as the Hilton Penn Station through RCL. Staying at one of them would mean taking their shuttle to the airport in order to get to the train and giving up the convenience of the direct walkway. Do you consider that a safer option?

agabbymama and smeyer418, thanks for the info on cabs and car services. I will need this if the consensus is that we need to stay in Manhattan.

i would...it really isn't that bad.....the NJTransit fare is a little more to EWR and you want to make sure your train says EWR on the schedule (it will also say that on the big board at NY Penn station!) the fare is a little higher to the airport cause they tack on extra dough for the priviledge of having the station and monorail thing.(yeah, my state is a little nuts!)

i haven't taken the PATH in years but you can get more info at www.panynj.com (port authority operates the PATH AND the airport so you can get more info there)

i guess i am bombarding you!! oops!;)

the only problem with those other airport properties (save for the ones i mentioned by that outlet mall) would be a lack of dining options-however i would figure you will eat in NYC!

considering you are cruising from lovely bayonne (www.cruiseliberty.com) staying in NJ will be a better deal...in cab/car fare alone.....as you've heard above....actually i generally stay in NJ when i go to NYC!

hth....you can email me at megtravels-@-yahoo.com

(take out the dashes) and put cruise critic in the subject if you have other questions........

ok-gotta go watch dancing with the stars now!

As a female that has done the PATH into and out of NYC late at night many times, you will be FINE with a little street smarts. Sit UP FRONT, keep your wits about you, NO flashy jewelry, make SURE you have the fare IN YOUR HAND or easily accessible BEFORE you have to buy the ticket. DON'T be looking like a "tourist"-lost, helpless, map in your hand, etc. Walk tall, proud and with confidence. You generally only get mugged if you look like an easy mark. Two people who NEVER get mugged-hookers and crazy people. Assume the persona of either one and you are good to go!!!! I personally like crazy person the best!!!

The Newark Penn Hilton has a lot of security. And if you call the hotel when you leave NYC, I would almost bet that one of the security people or the concierge will find someone to meet you when you come off the PATH and walk you to the hotel. Pre arrange this with the front desk and call when you leave NYC.

You will be FAR better off at the Newark Penn Hilton than at an airport hotel. You will have to get transport from wherever the train/bus leaves you off to your hotel. PLEASE stay at the Penn Hilton (for your own safety), keep your wits about you, and walk tall, proud, and with confidence. You will be fine!!!!

As for clothing-got fur???? December in NYC can be VERY cold. The temperature is not that cold, but with all the buildings holding in the cold (and heat), it can feel EXTREMELY cold if you are not used to it. Anything below 20 degrees in NYC is VERY cold. When it gets close to zero in NYC, the city almost shuts down. Feels about the same as 20 below in Minnesota. Dress warmly. NYC, even in the winter, is a city for walking. Hats, gloves, furs, heavy coats. You can always peel it off if it is too much. Can't add it if it is in your hotel.

NYC, December, a carriage ride in Central Park, snow, Rockefeller Center, the ice rink, the store windows, the Rockettes and the Xmas show, happy happy people. The BEST time to be in NYC. Enjoy!!!!

http://www.newarkpennstationhotel.com/photo_gallery/

there are some photos...looks like a walkway between the hotel and station...probably ok, but personally i would not stay there....

one thing, since you will be going on weekdays....even though getting into the city early is great, the trains during rush hour will be PACKED and they cost more...look at the schedule on the nj transit site....they indicate which trains are 'peak' if you go off peak, you can get a round trip 'excursion' fare which is a significant savings....

there are some photos...looks like a walkway between the hotel and station...probably ok, but personally i would not stay there....

one thing, since you will be going on weekdays....even though getting into the city early is great, the trains during rush hour will be PACKED and they cost more...look at the schedule on the nj transit site....they indicate which trains are 'peak' if you go off peak, you can get a round trip 'excursion' fare which is a significant savings....

but the Path Trains start there they aren't as crowded and are 1.50 even during rush hours to Manhattan and run very often...

I really wonder why you wouldn't stay there. It is probably as safe a hotel for transfer to the city as any hotel other than the Jersey City Hyatt. Staying around the mall involves multiple transport-taxi, bus, train. And so does staying around the airport. At the Penn Hilton, you walk from the train station to the hotel, much like the Jersey City Hyatt. If you have a rental car, there are a lot of places to stay with easy transport to NYC. But if you are "on foot", you choices for safe easy transport are limited.

one thing, since you will be going on weekdays....even though getting into the city early is great, the trains during rush hour will be PACKED and they cost more...look at the schedule on the nj transit site....they indicate which trains are 'peak' if you go off peak, you can get a round trip 'excursion' fare which is a significant savings....[/color][/size][/font]

I really would doubt the OP would travel at rush hour. No need to. Either early or late for dinner, shopping, shows, Rockefeller Center. No need to stress about rush hour.

I really wonder why you wouldn't stay there. It is probably as safe a hotel for transfer to the city as any hotel other than the Jersey City Hyatt. Staying around the mall involves multiple transport-taxi, bus, train. And so does staying around the airport. At the Penn Hilton, you walk from the train station to the hotel, much like the Jersey City Hyatt. If you have a rental car, there are a lot of places to stay with easy transport to NYC. But if you are "on foot", you choices for safe easy transport are limited.

I really would doubt the OP would travel at rush hour. No need to. Either early or late for dinner, shopping, shows, Rockefeller Center. No need to stress about rush hour.

Wonder all you want.....i wouldn't stay there....and as for traveling at rush hour or not, I am just trying to be helpful...once again you jump down my throat...i spend plenty of time in the area??? there are many cities in which i feel safe and some in which i do not. I do travel on foot often......i am trying to present an option and again you take a tone that makes you sound like a know it all. stay where you wish.....i will stay at the airport.

As with most things, personal opinions are going to vary, but I appreciate hearing from all of you. The more different opinions I get, the more I can work toward a solution that meets my personal needs.

NYC, December, a carriage ride in Central Park, snow, Rockefeller Center, the ice rink, the store windows, the Rockettes and the Xmas show, happy happy people. The BEST time to be in NYC. Enjoy!!!!

greatam, tell me more! Do we need reservations for a carriage ride, or is it just show up like our carriage rides in New Orleans? How much does it cost? Is the Xmas show you mentioned the one at Radio City Music Hall and does it include the Rockettes? My DD and I would love all these things you mentioned! We would also love to see a Broadway show while we are there. I'm afraid there is no way to do everything on our list in our short day and a half before the cruise, so we are working on prioritizing. We haven't even looked at port excursions; it is too much fun working on the NYC pre-cruise stuff!

Wonder all you want.....i wouldn't stay there....and as for traveling at rush hour or not, I am just trying to be helpful...once again you jump down my throat...i spend plenty of time in the area??? there are many cities in which i feel safe and some in which i do not. I do travel on foot often......i am trying to present an option and again you take a tone that makes you sound like a know it all. stay where you wish.....i will stay at the airport.

Not jumping down your throat at all. You look at things from a resident's point of view, I look at things from a female business traveler's point of view.

I own a company with an office in the Bronx (office used to be in in Kearney-Exit 15E for 15+ years). My main business is international logistics and I spend plenty of time in the Port Elizabeth, Port Newark, EWR, Bayonne and all the industrial areas from Exit 10-16. I spend quite a few nights per month in hotels in both New Jersey and NYC. The EWR airport hotels present no easy, non connection way to get to/from NYC late at night. The Newark Penn Station (Gateway Center) does. Walk out of the hotel, through the walk way, and you are on the PATH. If you really want to get exotic, you can transfer at Journal Sq. and get to 33rd St. It is easier (and safer) to just get a taxi in the city to/from the World Trade Center Station and not have to transfer, especially late at night. We look at things from different perspectives.

greatam, tell me more! Do we need reservations for a carriage ride, or is it just show up like our carriage rides in New Orleans? How much does it cost? Is the Xmas show you mentioned the one at Radio City Music Hall and does it include the Rockettes? My DD and I would love all these things you mentioned! We would also love to see a Broadway show while we are there. I'm afraid there is no way to do everything on our list in our short day and a half before the cruise, so we are working on prioritizing. We haven't even looked at port excursions; it is too much fun working on the NYC pre-cruise stuff!

No reservations for a carriage ride. It is magical when it snows. South side of Central Park by the Plaza Hotel. Last year, I paid about $100.00 with tip for an hour tour through Central Park (took two of my employees who had never been in NYC around Xmas). There are much shorter rides. You can negotiate with the driver usually. The price depends a lot on how many people are in the area , waiting for a carriage, but plan on at least $35.00 for the normal "loop".

Yes, IMHO, Xmas is NYC is NOT Xmas in NYC without Radio City Music Hall and the Rockettes. They even have a backstage tour. Tickets needed in advance. Here's the info:

http://christmas.radiocity.com/

There is a lot of free stuff to do in NYC. And people watching tops my list. I have more fun just wandering around Greenwich Village with $20.00, eating street food, riding the subway, watching guys play "streetball" at all the little basketball courts all over the Village. Then in a different neighborhood, watching people skate in Rockefeller Center and seeing the Xmas tree we have all seen on TV since we were kids and believed in Santa. Just feeling the vibe of NYC, especially at Xmas. Window shopping, Bloomingdale's (my favorite store in the USA), Tiffany, Trump Tower, etc., etc. etc. WAAAAY too much to do in a day and 1/2. But you sure can cram a lot in.

Enjoy!!!

I read all your posts and I am kind of envious, as we will not have the time to go into New York at all. We will fly in the evening before the cruise and all we will want to do is sleep (we will be flying in from France, so the time change will mean we will have been up for nearly 24 hours).

As we are going to be using Mariott rewards points, I was wondering which hotel could be recommended - it should have an airport shuttle and relatively good connections to the port. I don't think that Marott Hotels have shuttles to the port, so we will need to take a taxi. Who has information about distances and prices.

We heard about a big shopping mall close to EWR airport. Saturday morning will be our only opportunity to go shopping in the USA, so if this mall exists, I would like to know more about it.

Can anyone help?

I read all your posts and I am kind of envious, as we will not have the time to go into New York at all. We will fly in the evening before the cruise and all we will want to do is sleep (we will be flying in from France, so the time change will mean we will have been up for nearly 24 hours).

As we are going to be using Mariott rewards points, I was wondering which hotel could be recommended - it should have an airport shuttle and relatively good connections to the port. I don't think that Marott Hotels have shuttles to the port, so we will need to take a taxi. Who has information about distances and prices.

We heard about a big shopping mall close to EWR airport. Saturday morning will be our only opportunity to go shopping in the USA, so if this mall exists, I would like to know more about it.

Can anyone help?

The closest to the mall are the Residence Inn and Courtyard Newark/Elizabeth (the address is Glimcher Realty Way) They have shuttles from the airport..none of the marriott brands have shuttles to the pier...

cab/car serivce is about 40-50 bucks......and it takes maybe 30 minutes or less...(traffic into and out of the port can be a little nuts as it is one way in and out. ) the rate is flat...have the hotel call a cab/car for you. (i asked for a cab, they said the car service was the same price )

you will get free breakfast at the Residence Inn..the CY offers it-i think it was between 10-12 dollars....i have stayed in them both and they are fine....there is a Ruby Tuesday restaurant in the parking lot of the hotel complex....(like a TGI Fridays or a Hard Rock Cafe without the loud music!)

when you get to the airport, you will go get your bags and then take the monorail to stop P4-that is where all the hotel shuttles stop.

www.panynj.com is the website for the agency that operates the airports!

www.jerseygardens.com is an outlet mall and you can walk to it from the hotels mentioned above....

Archived